Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Unlucky7 posted:

Is the UI intuitive for new players, not just ones who played the original?
It's quite different to the UFO: Enemy Unknown UI. It's pretty clear even without doing any of the tutorials at all if you've played any early-mid 2000s era turn based squad strategy game (right click to change your aim "degree", like JA2, for example).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
There are tutorials? Good. I am a big idiot dumb baby that needs to be shown what to do.

Seriously though that is good to hear.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

UberJumper posted:

I really am having a really hard time telling if i am in cover of something, relative to the alien. I hold control and mouse over the alien, and see that there is a 100% block chance for my cover. So shouldn't he not be able to shoot me? But he doesn't move and just guns me down next turn.

Also the AI just seems to keep retreating and moving back, which depending on the map i have been able to flank them, but on open maps with little cover it is borderline impossible to get at them. I throw a smoke, and try to advance towards them and then the next turn they just keep retreating.

Cover doesn't work off of Cardinal Directions in this game like it does in EU/EW, meaning that it's possible to find an angle that will allow you to shoot a target that's behind cover. When you aim at a target you see a green (and sometimes yellow, denoting range dropoff) line between the soldier and the target, as long as that line does not intersect with cover, there is 0% chance for cover to block a shot. This means that you may see an alien in 100% cover and end your turn, and he could move one tile to the side and have a clear shot.

Also, when you're crouched you have a much harder time shooting over cover, you often need to be standing to shoot over cover. So if you're crouched and seeing a 100% block chance, a standing alien may only have a 60% block chance to return fire. I'm guessing that this is what was causing your issue with cover, once I learned this it revolutionized the game for me. Similarly, a crouched target behind cover virtually can not be hit at all unless the shooter is standing (or their shot doesn't intersect cover).

The star trek guys are very very fragile and will try to kite you most of the time, but most aliens are tougher and will advance towards you. However, the AI seems pretty smart, if they know they're outnumbered or are being drawn in to an obvious trap they will back off (or they'll just go HAM and charge in guns blazing, knowing they're already dead and trying to take you down with them)

You can sort of abuse the crouching/cover system to lock them in place. For example, if you see an alien crouched behind cover, move one soldier in to his view and crouch them behind cover. If the alien doesn't see any other soldiers, chances are he's going to stand up and move to a more advantageous position to try and hit you. Since both of these actions cost TU, you're lowering his number of shots as well as reducing his saved TU for reaction fire, and generally leaving them standing or not behind cover at all, allowing you to move in close with other units and take them out (you get very very large accuracy bonuses for each tile closer you move within 5 tiles)

jBrereton posted:

Oh man. This is great. This is oldschool XCOM. My second mission's LZ was just outside the range of 3 guys who annihilated half my fireteam as they stepped out the plane (although it does seem kind of snide to make the first enemy type you run into see through smoke just fine).

There are actually two (!) starting alien types in this game. There are Star Trek Guys and Lizardmen. Only one of them has good eyesight :)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 5, 2014

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

While I'm waiting for my Humble Store torrent of this game to complete, I'm browsing the small collection of mods for the game. I hope that they continue to evolve the game a bit as time goes by. http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/9992-Calling-all-Modders-Producing-A-List-of-Active-Mods

And yeah, there's already an awful mod that changes how women look:

Although, it's not as bad as it could be. It's fairly restrained, unlike the comments in its thread.

It looks like there are map packs getting set up as well, this is good news. I was sort of hoping that the maps would be unpredictably generated like a roguelike, but I'll admit that there's probably a level of complexity to mapping that would make that pretty difficult to pull off. Is there an element of randomness to maps at all (like object/enemy placement)?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

While enemy placement is randomized, and I think sometimes UFO placement has a few options as well, unfortunately the maps are pretty static, and there aren't a whole lot of them. I forgot to mention that in my first post on here, that's certainly a complaint I have about this game, however it comes with mapping tools and users are encouraged to make their own maps. The problem right now is that the mapping tools are tile-based but you can't see what the tiles look like while placing them, but over time as people get used to it I think we'll be seeing a lot of map packs popping up to alleviate that issue.

Maps also seem to be tied to UFO type as well, so larger UFOs are generally shot down over much larger and more complex maps. The first couple months when you're only seeing 2 UFO types can kind of suck and sometimes you'll play the same map 3 times in a row, but as more UFO types appear things get more varied.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 5, 2014

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Funnypost Collabo posted:

There are actually two (!) starting alien types in this game. There are Star Trek Guys and Lizardmen. Only one of them has good eyesight :)
For sure, but I largely ran into Lizardmen until the end of the first month. Seems cheeky to have something that mitigates an otherwise seemingly-good idea, I dunno. Maybe that's just me.

Oh also, there is no better tool for UFO doorknocking than a .303, it seems.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

UberJumper posted:

I really am having a really hard time telling if i am in cover of something, relative to the alien. I hold control and mouse over the alien, and see that there is a 100% block chance for my cover. So shouldn't he not be able to shoot me? But he doesn't move and just guns me down next turn.

You're less affected by partial cover the closer you are to it- i.e. you can shoot over a pile of rocks if you're standing right next to them. If you're having the opposite problem then I don't know what that could be about.

Also, it seems to be a smart plan to spend as much time crouched as possible. I'm regularly finding that soldiers caught in the open will survive fairly often if they're crouched.

UberJumper posted:

Its not bad, but there is a bunch of stuff that really needs tool tips. Like a bunch of the geoscape stuff. What does a Radar do? I don't know and its not in the xenopedia. How long until my new troops arrive? How long until scientists arrive? What effect does excellent, good, poor have on research?

Radar... detects UFOs? I mean, alright, I wish the game was more user friendly too, but I wouldn't have thought that "radar does radar stuff" would be a tough one.

UberJumper posted:

I find the squad management portion to be really painful since you are constantly being forced to flip between two screens. When you add a new squad member you need to remember his name so you can equip him.

Yeah, that's a bitch. You can only compare stats on the one screen, but assign roles/equipment on the other.

Speaking of equipment, I'm finding that the heavy weapons- the SAW, Scatter Laser etc.- are far and away the most effective. They're as strong per-shot as anything else, and with ten shots to the burst they almost always hit once or twice, or at the very least suppress the guy- even at sniper ranges. The only other thing I'm finding as reliable at dropping an enemy in one go are point blank shotgun blasts, and those can be tricky to set up even in close quarters.

Breaching UFOs is where I'm still having a lot of difficulty- usually, if I'm going to lose a guy on a mission, it's going to be there. Flashbangs have been useful, but they only last a turn and that's just not enough time to clear a room. Smoke grenades I haven't experimented much with- throwing them at the enemy seems to help as much as it hinders, and if I remember the original correctly, dropping them at my feet will knock my guys out eventually.

That thing with the doors closing themselves every turn is bullshit, though. :saddowns:

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
I bought this game early in development and I cannot stress how awesome this game is, everything about it is so good.

Get this game, it's truly X-com but made into modern game.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Autonomous Monster posted:

Speaking of equipment, I'm finding that the heavy weapons- the SAW, Scatter Laser etc.- are far and away the most effective. They're as strong per-shot as anything else, and with ten shots to the burst they almost always hit once or twice, or at the very least suppress the guy- even at sniper ranges. The only other thing I'm finding as reliable at dropping an enemy in one go are point blank shotgun blasts, and those can be tricky to set up even in close quarters.

Rifles are the best for reaction fire, and sniper rifles have no (or severely reduced?) range dropoff. Ever since they retuned the weapons I'm actually finding them all useful, before that I just used Sniper Rifles and HMGs on everyone.

Rifles also get a three-shot burst and do more damage per-hit than the Shotguns (at least in my experience).

I'd say most of my kills are rifle bursts from within 3 tiles, but yeah the HMGs and Shotguns are incredible and I wouldn't want a squad without them.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Radar... detects UFOs? I mean, alright, I wish the game was more user friendly too, but I wouldn't have thought that "radar does radar stuff" would be a tough one.

I was more referring to how exactly does it benefit you by building another one?

Also i am completely stuck, the last xeno keeps running away from me, i have been at this for about 15 minutes now, but in a maze like area, its a monumental pain in the rear end to hunt it down with two troopers.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

UberJumper posted:

I was more referring to how exactly does it benefit you by building another one?

It boosts the range. It's not particularly clear, but it'll say something like "Range: 1000 km (+25%)" where it lists the building stats.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Unlucky7 posted:

There are tutorials?
Uh, I don't think so, actually? I sure as hell haven't found them, at least. There's a quickstart guide though that explains some basics, and the devs are working on a proper game manual.
Anyways, the UI on the strategic side isn't great, but it shouln't be too hard to figure out with some poking around.
The ground battle UI on the other hand is very slick and simple. There are only a few buttons you'll need, and you can use your mousewheel to switch between your soldiers, and to select the aim level/fire mode when aiming at an enemy.

While enemy placement is randomized, and I think sometimes UFO placement has a few options as well, unfortunately the maps are pretty static, and there aren't a whole lot of them.
I'm reasonably sure that there's some randomness in object placement in the maps, too. As in, this one time I was in a certain urban map, there was a group of three cars forming a sort of U on the street, and the next time I got the same map there was only one car in that same spot.
Also, at least some maps have more than one starting location. Deploying in the opposite corner from last time makes the map feel surprisingly different.

The downside with machineguns is that you can only move very little if you want to fire that turn, and that they have a negative reaction modifier, so if you move into the sights of overwatching aliens, they are very likely to shoot first. Rifles and shotguns give more flexibility in a fight.
It's true though that once you can bring them to bear, they clean house and are great at suppressing, too.

Breaching UFOs is where I'm still having a lot of difficulty- usually, if I'm going to lose a guy on a mission, it's going to be there. Flashbangs have been useful, but they only last a turn and that's just not enough time to clear a room. Smoke grenades I haven't experimented much with- throwing them at the enemy seems to help as much as it hinders, and if I remember the original correctly, dropping them at my feet will knock my guys out eventually.
This is how I breach, for example, normal scout UFOs:
I line my guys up right at the door. Assaults in front, crouched, the rest with good reflexes standing behind them. End turn.
Now that everyone has full TUs, I open the door and have someone from second row toss a flashbang. Assaults go in, shotgun the ones who weren't suppressed by the flashbangs. The rest of the second row mops up.
If I open the door and see there are more aliens inside than I think I can handle at once, I just toss in the flashbang followed by a stun gas grenade, and then close the door again. Yes, in case you didn't notice, you can also close doors manually. Took me a while to realize that, actually.

Rifles are the best for reaction fire, and sniper rifles have no (or severely reduced?) range dropoff. Ever since they retuned the weapons I'm actually finding them all useful, before that I just used Sniper Rifles and HMGs on everyone.

Rifles also get a three-shot burst and do more damage per-hit than the Shotguns (at least in my experience).

I'd say most of my kills are rifle bursts from within 3 tiles, but yeah the HMGs and Shotguns are incredible and I wouldn't want a squad without them.
Rifles are the middle line for reaction fire, actually. Pistols and shotguns are the best, at least in the sense that they're the most likely to be the one to shoot first. Rifles do have the advantage of range, though.

Snipers do have much longer range, but on the flipside they don't get the close-range bonus for being within 5 tiles. Also the rate of fire isn't too good while they only do slightly more damage per shot compared to rifles.

Shotguns do have slightly lower damage per hit, but you can get three hits with just a snapshot, versus a rifle burst that takes over half your TUs. And they have that nice 1,5x reaction modifier so they're better for closing the distance before taking reaction fire.

All in all, the majority of my kills comes from assault troopers; My bests one at the moment has racked up a ridiculous 44 kills in 16 missions. A shotgunner with lots of TUs and a 60+ reflex score can sprint up to a lizardman from surprisingly far away and shoot it in the face without taking any reaction fire.

EDIT: Jesus this post got a bit long. Anyways, I'll try to write up a bunch of mechanics advice and tactics tips in the second post, tomorrow.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 5, 2014

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
:negative: After playing hide and seek with a stupid alien on an urban map, i finally decided to use one as bait, he promptly died without getting a chance to allow me to get the drop on him. So i decided to retreat back to the helicopter, guess who is waiting for me inside?

:xcom:

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Stats in this game level up based on what you do.

Strength- Carrying heavy loads while on mission will cause your strength stat to rise. Always have at least one or two KG over their green level endurance. HMG ammo is good for this as a back pack filler. Essential so your Infantry can be carrying six grenades, a shotgun, assault rifle, ammo for both, armor, med kit, and a c4 pack later on.

TUs- Using up your TUs regularly turn after turn, I think, is the trick to this.

HP- Taking Damage and surviving will cause your Max HP to rise as well.

Agility/Reflexes- I am unsure how the game calculates these stats, but getting lots of reaction shots would be the trick I think

Bravery- Medals are the only way I know how to boost this.

Accuracy- Taking shots at an enemy should do the trick

A trick you can use to get an early advantage in the research tree. Flashbangs can knock out aliens from mission 1, before any capture techs have been studied. You do not need knock out gas or stun batons to capture any alien, though they do help. Just find an isolated alien and hit him with as many flashbangs as it takes to knock them out.

Laser weapons become available to research after studying any two alien plasma weapons, Plasma after any four, and Gauss after you have researched all of them. The first alien weapon researched unlocks Jackal armor, a light armor, that uses no alien mats, but can keep you alive.

Your first base should be near Israel/Egypt/Greece somewhere. UFOs show up on the world map based on regions, and there are 5 within range of that first base location. Try and have 6 hangers at your first base, with 2 Condors to deal with light enemies/fighters, with 3 Foxtrots to take out the heavier stuff. 3 radar dishes max out your chances to see anything entering your airspace. Foxtrots are more important than Condors.

I feel like I had more to add, but I'm forgetting what it was.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

winterwerefox posted:

Strength- Carrying heavy loads while on mission will cause your strength stat to rise. Always have at least one or two KG over their green level endurance. HMG ammo is good for this as a back pack filler. Essential so your Infantry can be carrying six grenades, a shotgun, assault rifle, ammo for both, armor, med kit, and a c4 pack later on.

The strength bit I know has been changed from that. Cant remember what it is right now, but I definetely remember reading a patch note from the beta builds specifically changing this.
Ill go snooping through them and see if i can find it.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

winterwerefox posted:

Its based on how many TUs they spend when at 80% to 90% of their max carry weight.(source)

winterwerefox posted:

TUs- Using up your TUs regularly turn after turn, I think, is the trick to this.

You gain 1 TU for every TU spent, which is fastest done by using all your TUs (source)

winterwerefox posted:

Agility/Reflexes- I am unsure how the game calculates these stats, but getting lots of reaction shots would be the trick I think

Couldnt find the post but I remember seeing the devs say Reflexes increase, or build up to the next level, whenever a soldier has the chance to do a reaction shot.

Everything else in your post seems right.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I was trying to rename my jet planes and couldn't figure it out. Can I do this? If not, why not? :mad:

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I think my saved game is broken, if i go into the equip screen my game crashes. If i load the most recent autosave, and go into the equip screen my game crashes.

I guess i am just going to restart, what combination of classes do you guys roll with?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

UberJumper posted:

I think my saved game is broken, if i go into the equip screen my game crashes. If i load the most recent autosave, and go into the equip screen my game crashes.

I guess i am just going to restart, what combination of classes do you guys roll with?

You might want to head to the Xenonauts forum, they might want that save if it happens consistently. Sounds like the equipment screen crash is one of the last 'big' crash bugs that they're tearing their hair out trying to fix.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Communist Zombie posted:

Its based on how many TUs they spend when at 80% to 90% of their max carry weight.(source)

You gain 1 TU for every TU spent, which is fastest done by using all your TUs (source)

Couldnt find the post but I remember seeing the devs say Reflexes increase, or build up to the next level, whenever a soldier has the chance to do a reaction shot.

Everything else in your post seems right.

Ahh ok. I was going off personal experience in the game, rather than looking for the patch notes and systems on the exact figures. Keeping your encumbrance maxed is still essential, though, just not to the extent I was going with.

UberJumper posted:

Early game, 8 man drop ship, I run with two squads of four. 2 Infantry, 1 Marksman, 1 Gunner per squad. I constantly try and train strength, to make this possible. If they cant take a full kit, I tend to cut the shotgun first.

Ballistics
Infantry- Assault Rifle 2 reloads, Shotgun 1 reload, 6 Grenades (1 Smoke, 2 Flashbang, 3 Frag) Med Kit, c4, Armor

Marksmen- Sniper Rifle 2 reloads, Pistol 1 reload, Smoke Grenade, Med Kit, Armor. Then as weight allows, the rest of the infantry kit, Swapping pistol for shotgun if he can carry it.

Gunner- Machinegun 2 reloads, Pistol 1 reload, Smoke Grenade, Armor. Again, the rest of the infantry kit if they an carry it, again shotgun for pistol if weight allows

Mid Game-late game, Im running with up to 12 in the drop ship. I change my 2 squads to 5 man, to be 1 predator heavy gunner, 2 wolf infantry, and 2 buzzard sniper/scouts, and bring a tank.

Infantry- Wolf Armor, Energy Rifle 5 reloads, 6 Grenades (1 Smoke, 2 Shock, 3 Frag) c4, Medkit.
Scout- Buzzard Armor, Energy SMG 5 reloads, Energy Pistol, Infantry kit
Sniper- Buzzard Armor, Energy Sniper 5 reloads, Energy Pistol, Infantry Kit
Gunner 1- Predator Armor, Heavy Energy Weapon 8 reloads, Rocket Launcher + as many rockets as they can carry
Gunner 2- Predator Armor, Heavy Energy Weapon 8 reloads, Combat Shield, Stun Baton, assorted grenades

Predator Armor allows you to have strength 100 in the suit, and the armor itself is weightless. Let them carry situational gear for the rest of your squad.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Game has been fun so far, but there are definitely a lot of UFOs right from the start (on veteran, at least). I'm only up to October 6th and I've been on the battle map something like 15 times. At least I've gotten a small cadre of soldiers ranked up in between getting rookies mulched.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So, one gripe I have about a lot of xcom-likes is that the amount of tech and option diversity is a bit crap.

The firaxis remake especially is kinda dull, you get a handful of guns and just upgrade them to +1 versions as the game goes on.

Does Xenonauts give you a good variety of options in combat, and equipment choices for your soldiers? Does it end up where you only really want to use a few guns because the rest aren't very good compared to them?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

There's only really six classes of weapon - shotgun, pistol, sniper, assault rifle, heavy and explosives/RPGs - with tier upgrades for each. There is stuff like riot shields, however, which are great for breaching a craft: plant two guys in front, have them duck with shields up, and have everyone else behind them taking aim. The drawback is that you can only use pistols with shields, but on the flipside, that means you'll actually want to use pistols for a change.

IIRC, there are a few weapon mods available, but it's mostly just tweaks, making lasers look like actual beams, rather than bolts, that kind of thing. Give it a few months and there'll probably be a better variety around.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is there much of a modding scene for the game?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

OwlFancier posted:

Is there much of a modding scene for the game?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3640312&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post430614380

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hmm, looks okay I guess, might hold off until the game has been out longer. I do quite like xcom-style games, I just already own quite a few of them.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I've played about an hour. It's quite good so far. It looks great, controls make sense (coming from a fairly casual Jagged Alliance player), an all around good production.

It will be some time before I can label it as great, but there's time for that yet. For now, I think it's a great take on the original (which I've played a bit), and I like that all my men/women look like they'd really rather not be there. I think they're going for a drab, "aw-gently caress" kind of look to things, and it's an interesting take on it, but I can see why some people feel like it's kind of flat in the charisma department.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I really, really need to get to sleep but I feel I want to at least make it to laser weapons first. So far this is very, very fun.

Getting Jackal Armor nice and fast was a great thing for soldier survivability, now I only lose maybe one person a map (oddly enough, it always seems to be from a freak headshot from behind). This is the first alien-invasion strategy game that lets you field riot cops against the aliens and I find them incredibly helpful. After a completely horrible first mission I use riot shields instead of early heavy weapons soldiers.

Also, getting an armored car on the battlefield is a huge loving game changer. Just send your armored recon ahead and watch it "suppress" the greys and lizard men into bloody chunks.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Seriously the vehicles in this game are useful as poo poo. Especially once they can start blowing breaching holes in structures for you :getin:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Psycho Landlord posted:

Seriously the vehicles in this game are useful as poo poo. Especially once they can start blowing breaching holes in structures for you :getin:

No kidding. I'm still running with the dual machineguns as I'm at the stage where I'm starved for resources and would rather not destroy any potential Elerium Alienum deposits but having a big, threatening weapons platform as your buddy is a massive game changer.

Also, Operation: Police Brutality was a massive success. Riot Shield + Stun Rod is an incredibly potent combination, at least early game. I took 3 lizard men home first try with just a single riot cop on the away team. I imagine the Riot Shield is going lose effectiveness relatively quickly, but drat does it make those early enemies go down like chumps.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

UberJumper posted:

A weapon, no mags, and a belt and backpack full of flashbangs, stun grenades, and shock grenades. For everyone.

These three grenade types are ludicrously overpowered. I'm only in Month 5 at the moment but I still haven't seen a single mission with enough aliens to where I ever ran out of ammo in a soldier's weapon, and I rarely even use guns against organic targets because of how ridiculous stun grenades are. Seriously - two rookies with a grip of stun grenades can clear a crashed UFO on their own unless it's full of androns/drones. One opens and closes the door while the other lobs stun grenades in each turn. There's literally nothing the aliens can do to stop it unless they have a Psion and manage to panic/break one of the two of them before the first grenade is thrown.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jun 6, 2014

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

UberJumper posted:

what combination of classes do you guys roll with?
I don't have much set in stone. Generally I try to have at least one, preferably two fast assault troopers with shotguns and one heavy gunner out of the starting squad size of 8. The rest can be just riflemen, though I'll throw in snipers or rocketeers if someone seems suited to those roles. All in all it mostly depends on what kinds of soldiers I have available.

Psycho Landlord posted:

I remember my first go with the pulse laser. From the xenopedia text I just figured "okay so this is basically just a laser rifle that does shitloads of damage, I guess". Then I fired the first shot at some poor Caesan schmuck... yeah, that was certainly a thing. :stonklol: :black101:

Alkydere posted:

Also, Operation: Police Brutality was a massive success. Riot Shield + Stun Rod is an incredibly potent combination, at least early game.
Man, I need to try this. I've barely ever tried the shields. I keep meaning to but forgetting. Same with C4, actually.

Seriously - two rookies with a grip of stun grenades can clear a crashed UFO on their own unless it's full of androns/drones. One opens and closes the door while the other lobs stun grenades in each turn. There's literally nothing the aliens can do to stop it unless they have a Psion and manage to panic/break one of the two of them before the first grenade is thrown.
I feel like this is more of an issue with the enemy AI than the grenades themselves. If the aliens would just storm out of the drat UFO when they know there are some grenadier assholes loitering outside, it would be a whole different ballgame. I mean sure, they'd get gunned down by the rest of your squad, but at least they'd go down swinging.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jun 6, 2014

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I always equip my sniper with a shield and pistol. You're not going to be 360-noscoping dudes in a cramped-rear end UFO, but the rest of the squad will appreciate having something to cower behind when it's time to breach and clear.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I wonder how possible it is to mod in randomly generated maps. Last night I actually played the same map twice in a row :|

Crash74
May 11, 2009
I thought they were going to do random maps where it would load the tile sets in different orders.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

winterwerefox posted:

Bravery- Medals are the only way I know how to boost this.

I am definitely getting bravery bumps without medals:

Promotions, maybe?

Communist Zombie posted:

Thanks for this, I am now spending the end of every turn mashing the crouch button like a madman. :addictedtogrinding:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Nordick posted:

I feel like this is more of an issue with the enemy AI than the grenades themselves. If the aliens would just storm out of the drat UFO when they know there are some grenadier assholes loitering outside, it would be a whole different ballgame. I mean sure, they'd get gunned down by the rest of your squad, but at least they'd go down swinging.

It's a little bit of both, because of the way that Stun Grenades work (at least the way I think they work): There's an initial amount of stun damage done when the grenade explodes, but the gas it leaves behind requires a unit to basically roll against being incapacitated when moving through the gas. Since the gas blocks the only exit, they would have to run through it to open the door and shoot at you, giving them a good chance to pass out before reaching you.

I've had aliens pull some pretty slick moves on me when entering UFOs where they basically will open the door to pop off some shots at me then run back and hide, but they've never done it when I have stun gas up in the entrance, I presume because their AI avoids running through it for reasons mentioned above.

If you can land a stun grenade on an enemy unit, they'll take the initial stun damage and then if they remain standing, be forced to move through the gas to get out of it on their next turn, which almost always knocks them out, since they're already weakened from the initial explosion.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So just played one mission, initial thoughts:

1. Combat sort of has the Firaxcom feel of needing to get in close and flank your enemies in order to reliably get kills, though I'm not actually sure if that's how it works in practice. It definitely seemed that (with the exception of the sniper rifles) long-range shots were more useful for getting suppression on enemies than actually killing them, especially if they had cover. The problem is that even up close you don't quite know how many shots it's going to take to put something down, and if you come up short now you've got an enemy shooting at you from that highly-lethal short range.

2. The riot shield is really good, at least in the early game. Being able to run at a guy (and not care if he reaction-shots you), get into a flanking position, and even if you don't kill him still having pretty great cover, it's pretty nice. Also great for breaching UFOs and stuff.

3. HMGs seem really great for laying down suppression, not so much for actually killing anything since they can't really get effective range unless you lure enemies into an already-prepped killbox. I guess they could also be good for breach-and-clear things where you get an opportunity to stack up on a door before starting a fight? Riot shields seem more relevant for that though.

4. There doesn't seem to be an awful lot of direction at the start of the game, my opening geoscape moves were starting construction on a medbay and a garage, but it's not really clear if I should be hiring more soldiers (probably) or more scientists (maybe) or more engineers (probably not), or what. I'm sure as I get more understanding of the game it'll become more clear what a strong opening looks like, but it does seem like the sort of thing that'd put off new players a bit.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Been playin' it a fair bit, and I've honestly not moved much from my basic build: Two HMG, Two Assault (usually high TU, high aim), 1 sniper, and the rest riflemen (maybe a scout/grenadier if I've got someone with truly poo poo accuracy and high TUs). I'll definitely be tryin' out Alkydere's Police Brutality build soonish (I never really got into riot shields and vehicles.)

In any case, the reason I go for the HMGs? Yes, they're a bitch to use, but for clearing, I only need the assaults (and their flashbangs and shotties) and the Heavies (for Sheer Soviet Damage!). The UFOs are mostly a pre-prepared set of killboxes up until I think Corvettes, and it's a thing of beauty to have one assault throw a flashbang (suppressing a few aliens), the HMG guys lining up a shitstorm of bullets (further suppressing, and often killing stray aliens), and then my other assault moves in and shoots what's left in the face. Works nigh flawlessly in the early game (later, there's more refined stuff to do, but whatever!)

Maybe it's just confirmation bias, but while I know suppression reduces TUs, it seems to make it easier to hit whatever's hunkering down. However, as has been mentioned, risky shots are definitely bad. Part of the reason Alkydere bought the game was my tale of how his digital avatar in my squad had suppressed the filthy alien scum... and one of my own shotgunners, who then panicked. Never try and suppress the aliens when one of your dudes is within, say... 3 tiles of the firing line.

Oh, and one other thing I've noticed a lot of. On the military base map? Sebillians just loving love to pop out of the latrines. I don't know why, but 3 times out of 5, I get attacked by some random Seb hiding either next to or actually in the latrine area.

EDIT: Alkydere has gently pointed out why I am so wrong about Hunter Scout Cars. I expect to be drawing some comical poo poo soonish about both the Hunter Laser and the Latrine Sebillian.

This image, courtesy of Alkydere, gives you some idea.

EDIT 2: Also about what a glorious shitbag the science director is. Guy needs a fedora, seriously. :D

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nordick posted:

Perhaps my memory is just failing me because I never remembered this happening in the original XCom, but I was rage-quittingly surprised when the aliens actually did do this once - open the UFO door from the inside, shoot my shotgunner in the face, and then slink back inside.

• Locked thread