Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
our sun is technically classified as a yellow dwarf I thought

loving pussy-rear end sun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Omi-Polari posted:

science fact:

if you could instantaneously travel 66 million light years away, you could look back at earth and watch the asteroid impact which drove the dinosaurs to extinction

blowing your mind

I think you mean a Jesus impact.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Came in expecting goatse, was technically correct

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

nomadologique posted:

that's okay you're allowed to have stupid opinions.

yeah i have poo poo opinions, but the universe is flat. the fact that it's flat was likely an important contributing factor to the big bang :science:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Omi-Polari posted:

science fact:

if you could instantaneously travel 66 million light years away, you could look back at earth and watch the asteroid impact which drove the dinosaurs to extinction

blowing your mind

if you had a telescope the size of a solar system sure

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

dwarf stars are ordinary stars

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Jackie chan is abetter name thn sol

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Effectronica posted:

if you had a telescope the size of a solar system sure

define telescope because we use entire galaxies to see very distant objects with the help of gravitational lensing :science:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Robo Reagan posted:

define telescope because we use entire galaxies to see very distant objects with the help of gravitational lensing :science:

not in fine detail

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Robo Reagan posted:

define telescope because we use entire galaxies to see very distant objects due to gravitational lensing :science:

absolute maximum resolution is dependent on the f-stop, or ratio of focal length to aperture, so you need a fine gravitational lens and a gigantic one that would suck up lots of extraneous light

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

Robo Reagan posted:

We can barely detect exoplanets today as smudges of pixels. To witness an asteroid strike from 77 million light years is impossible!

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
thats an interesting visualization, thanks

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
and to think the whole thing revolves around the earth....

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
op I'm majoring in astrophysics and even I think this thread is kind of gay

Sorry man

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Orkin Mang posted:

and to think the whole thing revolves around the earth....

Everywhere is the center, man.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
well it's also impossible to travel 66 million light years in an instant but it's an interesting thought experiment anyways THANKS FOR RUINING IT ASSHOLES

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Moridin920 posted:

not in fine detail

the level of detail we can make out gets better every year as the technology advances :science:

http://www.space.com/14481-hubble-photo-brightest-galaxy-gravitational-lens.html

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

Omi-Polari posted:

well it's also impossible to travel 66 million light years in an instant but it's an interesting thought experiment anyways THANKS FOR RUINING IT ASSHOLES

for noobs, maybe

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

could god take a bong rip so big even he cant hold it in his lungs??????

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

telescopes are a cool idea. a slice of curved glass and it lets you see things differently? pretty cool imo

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
still smaller than your mom

Kubert
Aug 9, 2010
its a real shame the universe changes the moment you observe it

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

JerryLee posted:

still smaller than your mom

and much smaller than my dilz lmao

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Kubert posted:

its a real shame the universe changes the moment you observe it

quantum physics is a lie and here is proof:

this was a bad post before i observed it, and still continues to be a bad post so suck my motherfuckin dick niels bohr

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
the universe is p cool while is lasts

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Everything has a cause, scientists say the big bang has no cause, therefore evolution is wrong and the Christian God is the correct God.

Checkmate.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

my favorite place/thing yet found:

the largest supermassive blackhole ever detected, ~6billion solar masses, has a smaller (~700million solar masses i wanna say) blackhole orbiting around it which dives through the accretion disc of the larger companion periodically, causing massive flares/explosions and it is likely aliens celebrate this awesome event by sitting at a safeish distance away and getting blasted

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Yaos posted:

Everything has a cause, scientists say the big bang has no cause, therefore evolution is wrong and the Christian God is the correct God.

Checkmate.

Allah is.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Protagonist posted:

the universe is p cool while is lasts

it'll last but our descendants won't know that unless we keep good records! In about 2 trillion years every other Galaxy will have moved so far away from Milkdromeda that they pass the cosmological horizon, causing the energy we can observe to be so spread out that it's impossible to detect. The universe is cold and lonely and it's going to get cold and lonelier the longer time goes on! :science:

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

The Protagonist posted:

the largest supermassive blackhole ever detected, ~6billion solar masses, has a smaller (~700million solar masses i wanna say) blackhole orbiting around it which dives through the accretion disc of the larger companion periodically, causing massive flares/explosions and it is likely aliens celebrate this awesome event by sitting at a safeish distance away and getting blasted

the largest supermassive black hole i detected was you're moms vagina!!!!(its black cuz its filled with black dudes dongers all the time 24/7 because she is also sadly addicted to many narcotics and they are expensive!)

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

The Protagonist posted:

:okpos:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Protagonist posted:

Where does all that matter go?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

space is boring because there's nothing there

Actually, everything is there.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Actually, everything is there.

We're in space right now, on spaceship Earth.

ist
Mar 9, 2007
lurkin since '01
Not impressed. There are about 100x as many molecules of water in a cup than there are stars in the known universe, anyways.

Kombotron
Aug 11, 2011

really makes u think

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Kombotron posted:

really makes u think

poopzilla posted:

cool

*takes massive bong rip*

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
space is really gay, if you want to know about the universe you should read this book that says the universe is helium and has a chapter titled "monopoles and boojums"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The two Voyager spacecraft will probably survive all of humanity, easily, and the gold records will likely survive forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

redshirt posted:

Where does all that matter go?

The more I learn the more I likely I feel that there are no cosmological singularities, but rather a pocket of inverted spacetime within each blackhole, with we ourselves inhabiting one. It just seems to match the repeated symmetry/evolutionary nature of everything else we've just begun to understand.

This in no way explains the origins of anything, ofc, but at least we can do away with the absurdity of infinite density...instead we have possibly infinitely nested, inverted spacetimes either extending outwards forever or possibly wrapping back around upon itself.

:lsd:

• Locked thread