Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
It's so big that our existence is at what level? Cellular? Atomic? Subatomic?

Is there any such thing as scale? Given how small one can go into the depths of matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

What if we're just atoms in a dude's finger in some higher dimension?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

possible, but i don't think it's very likely. if you had a creature in the shape of a human that was the size of the solar system, it would take him hours just to scratch the top of his head because of the distance his arm would have to travel from his waist. there's a theoretical limit on how big a living creature could reasonably be

Solar system? That's tiny! The Universe, man. All of it, is just an atom in some higher dimension.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It's not so far fetched either if you consider the Big Bang Theory.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Yeah, there are stars that make our Sun look like a tiny pea.

Big space, mon.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Omi-Polari posted:

science fact:

if you could instantaneously travel 66 million light years away, you could look back at earth and watch the asteroid impact which drove the dinosaurs to extinction

blowing your mind

Unlikely at that distance.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

define telescope because we use entire galaxies to see very distant objects with the help of gravitational lensing :science:

We can barely detect exoplanets today as smudges of pixels. To witness an asteroid strike from 77 million light years is impossible!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Orkin Mang posted:

and to think the whole thing revolves around the earth....

Everywhere is the center, man.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Protagonist posted:

my favorite place/thing yet found:

the largest supermassive blackhole ever detected, ~6billion solar masses, has a smaller (~700million solar masses i wanna say) blackhole orbiting around it which dives through the accretion disc of the larger companion periodically, causing massive flares/explosions and it is likely aliens celebrate this awesome event by sitting at a safeish distance away and getting blasted

Where does all that matter go?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Actually, everything is there.

We're in space right now, on spaceship Earth.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The two Voyager spacecraft will probably survive all of humanity, easily, and the gold records will likely survive forever.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Protagonist posted:

nah, those protons gonna' pop eventually

A loooooong time. So if some alien 2 trillion years from now has a record player....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Protagonist posted:

The more I learn the more I likely I feel that there are no cosmological singularities, but rather a pocket of inverted spacetime within each blackhole, with we ourselves inhabiting one. It just seems to match the repeated symmetry/evolutionary nature of everything else we've just begun to understand.

This in no way explains the origins of anything, ofc, but at least we can do away with the absurdity of infinite density...instead we have possibly infinitely nested, inverted spacetimes either extending outwards forever or possibly wrapping back around upon itself.

:lsd:

I like this idea, too, but how could you verify it? Since almost by definition you cannot detect the inverted spacetime.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Yaos posted:

It's pretty simple. You just send a tachyon burst through the deflector dish and cause a positive feed back loop in the phaser banks.

Folks, we don't understand what makes you who you are and not somebody else so don't bring your "you'll be gay some day in the future" poo poo into my house.

D'oh! It's so simple!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Far out.

*takes massive bong rip

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Brannock posted:

this cycle repeats infinitely at a speed impossible to perceive until the universe forms a sentient observer

And that observer was Albert Einstein.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ocean Book posted:

once the universe is at thermodynamic equilibrium does time continue to elapse? probably right? but isnt time basically a feature of thermodynamic disequilibrium? im all confused

I think time stops. Time is a function of change in space.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

a thousand years in the future aliens will live in ghettos and bemoan the capitalist imperialists who have taken over the quadrant

We will trickle down the wisdom of Reagan and Rand across the Systems.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Protagonist posted:

Another interesting thing to note: given the projected lifetime of the observable universe, it is still very young.

One possible explanation of the Fermi paradox is then that we are the very first advanced civilization to wake up. All those super advanced beings in our fiction that already have everything figured out? It's our duty to become them.

Seems highly unlikely, given the space, the opportunities, and the time.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Brannock posted:

supervoids are creepy as poo poo

there's already like an impossible-to-conceptualize distance of just sheer nothing between galaxies in even dense parts of the universe

supervoids are an impossibly huge space of just sheer lack of anything

Good place to dump future space toxic waste.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Protagonist posted:

I hope not. One of my sources of optimism about the intent/needs of other possible species and our own is that if you have the ability to make the interstellar trip, then you've got the ability to live fine in the unpopulated vacuum with raw materials alone.

...unfortunately this doesn't preclude the possibility of an arc that can just barely limp the trip and didn't know there were natives already there :ohdear:

I think it's more than likely IF (big if of course) we ever encountered an alien entering Earth's orbit they'd be hostile, at least in the sense they'd have their own agendas on a multitude of topics and this might end up conflicting with the people of Earth.

For instance, it's likely any advanced alien will be an omnivore. And omnivores are capable of anything.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

a human boot, stomping an alien face

forever

The Terran Empire is inevitable.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Omi-Polari posted:

i think the aliens should get off their vorlon butts and come smoke a blunt

We could trade them blunts for mineral and mining rights on their worlds. :)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fojar38 posted:

btw back in april a new theoretical model suggested that a warp drive might not require as much energy as we thought

but itd still need to use fusion power

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2014/04/23/warp-drive-research-key-to-interstellar-travel/

Warp drive is just 30 years away.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I think there's a lot of potential in asteroid mining. It's possible, there's maybe money to be made (and maybe a whole lot of it), and it could serve as a proper platform for wider solar system exploration.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

A good book and worth a read. I read it twice!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ocean Book posted:

but does vacuum fluctuation happen at thermodynamic equilibrium? and if it does, does it not happen as a function of time? or does time stop until vacuum fluctuation produces thermodynamic disequilibrium? but how could vacuum fluctuation happen if time stops?

More specifically, like Einstein says, isn't time inseparably linked with matter? Spacetime? Does energy actually experience time, or only matter?

Does time exist for quarks?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

10 posts back.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'd swallow the Universe if I got the chance.

Would you?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Frackie Robinson posted:

Is there oil on other planets?

Lots. Saturn's moon, Titan, is like the Natural Gas planet.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Galactic clusters are cool creations - bunches of galaxies in orbit around one another. Sometimes numbering in the thousands. Our galaxy is in a very small cluster of just a handful of galaxies, so it's kind of boring.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Elukka posted:

3.6 billion years from the birth of the sun to multicellular life, a billion years from that to intelligent life, only 0.6 billion years from now the window will close. All in all the process took a third of the universe's lifetime.
I don't think you can imply that evolution would work at the same rate on different planets. Heck, skip one extinction event and the history of earth is drastically different.

quote:

There have been only a few generations of stars where this could happen. What would it imply for the odds of intelligent life arising if we assumed there's nothing near us because it's so early? I can't tell if the end result would be plausible.
True, the first, second, and maybe even the third generations of stars are poor candidates to create life. But in that third generation were thousands of possibilities, and by the 4th that's millions of possibilities. If an alien culture had even a 10,000 year advantage it might be fundamentally substantial.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Some of the complex structures we're discovering that existed in a relative blink after the Big Bang really puts to question some of our theories. How could a galaxy form if the first stars were just forming?

I think black holes are the key to everything - all structure in the Universe, that is.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Check this poo poo out: It's we that are spinning, on Earth, and the sun does not actually set or rise. How hosed up is that?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

"The Milky Way" is a loving LAME name for a galaxy.

We should be like ORION or MAGELLAN or something cool. Not "The Milky Way".

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Since they detected traces of the planet that crashed into Earth 1.0 way back when and created the Moon, it follows there should be traces of this alien world on Earth as well. Maybe inside one of you.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Protagonist posted:

it's sexy as hell though, it's "The Milky Way" because Hera sprayed milk all up from her tits over the night sky to make it

Gross.

Still a stupid name. And if we ever have to negotiate with some other galaxy, it's just going to be awkward.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

"The Moon" is also a stupid name, as it denotes a type of planetary object, not a specific one. There's lots and lots of moons.

Earth is a kinda sucky name too. As is "The Sun".

We need a full scale re-naming convention. I propose:

Galaxy: Orion
Solar System: Terran
Planet: Terra
Moon: Luna

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Noyemi K posted:

I don't ever wanna see you on my errf again

"The Earth Empire" doesn't inspire dread nor fear.

"The Terran Empire" gets the cockles walking!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Zen Punk posted:

The sun's name is Sol. That's why our star system is called the Solar System.

Well it's our Solar System now.

• Locked thread