Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Robo Reagan posted:

The Hercules–Corona Borealis Great Wall (Her–CrB GW)

built by aliens.

yo really though that first pic makes it obvious our "cosmos" is really the cellular material of some impossibly vast being playing dominoes and chain-smoking and probably an average dipshit in its community-at-large

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Robo Reagan posted:

unlikely, the universe is flat as far as we know.

that's okay you're allowed to have stupid opinions.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Fojar38 posted:

you know how in every science fiction story theres some hyper aggressive imperialistic race that the good guys are usually opposed to

irl thats us

Jack Handey posted:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can
picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

only bitches don't swallow

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

I am OK posted:

It's compelling and fun to think about but its not 99.99% likely at all.

it's actually the least compelling and fun thought you can have

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

i can't wait for this simulation bullshit to drop out of the cultural conversation. it's so boring it makes my brain spasm and go cold. it leads to nothing interesting, cannot be shown in any way unless we literally find giant flaming letters reading YOU ARE IN A SIMULATION, and even then it could have just been a prank by an older civilization -- which leads me to the only interesting part of this whole conversation: if we come along far enough, i hope we leave that to posterity, a big gently caress you to the future of consciousness in this universe which whothefuckcares if it's a simulation honestly what difference does it or can it possibly make?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Remember a few years ago when we let twitter beam a bunch of tweets at one of the closest potentially habitable exoplanets

rofl troll the universe

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

quote:

They can recognize themselves in a mirror, which only apes and dolphins have been able to do besides humans.

This is a weird sentence, since you're saying elephants can then saying only apes and dolphins can.

Also European magpies can pass the mirror test.

Bazinga?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

alchemical

mystical

amazing

the universe

(i'm working on a spoken word piece any help or comments appreciated)

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

a schooner is a ship

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

atum the original goon with his ladyhand

and daughter named toughnut

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

at some point you'll have to start calling it Paul

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

solaranus posted:

Has anyone ever said that we're just completely uninteresting and banal to a universe filled that's filled with life? It's not like I'm going outside and trying to study every ant in my back yard y'know.

but there are people doing this, they're called myrmecologists. if the universe was teeming with advanced civilizations, and we were really so unadvanced, there's a good chance they'd have us in zoos right now.

O WAIT MAYBE THEY DO

(rereads slaughterhouse-five)

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

quote:

Banal is one of the ugliest, most meaningless words, right up there with boring and mundane.

what is this? are you a linguist or a literary critic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

this site is the evil twin of that site because that site is named straightforwardly instead of pseudo pseudo ironically

• Locked thread