Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Nate RFB posted:

Takako Shimura deals with LBGT issues in many of her works, and she handles all of it tastefully and respectively.
:crossarms:

Is the anime of Wandering Son any good? I saw it in Crunchyroll's library, but I could be convinced to read the manga if that's better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

unpronounceable posted:

:crossarms:

Is the anime of Wandering Son any good? I saw it in Crunchyroll's library, but I could be convinced to read the manga if that's better.

The anime is a bit confusing as it really picks up in the middle of the story. There's a rather large cast of characters that have already developed complicated relations at that point, so it takes some effort to get into. The manga is good and definitely also worth a read. (Do watch the anime even then, its watercolor-y style is pretty.)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Read the manga. The anime basically only covers a small slice of the story.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Wandering Son anime looks great, but really seems like a treat for existing fans of the manga.

I wrote this about the manga elswhere:

Takako Shimura's Wandering Son tells the stories of two young people just on the cusp of adolescence.
I'll let the official Fantagraphics page tell you why it's good though:

Fantagraphics posted:

A sensitive masterpiece from Japan's most prominent creator of LGBT manga. Shuichi is a boy who wants to be a girl, and Yoshino is a girl who wants to be a boy. Shimura portrays their journey with affection, sensitivity and humor.

Not only is it a touching story about a couple of LGBT kids, it's one of the best stories about adolescence I've ever read. The US version is crazy high quality too: hardcover, great paper, nice binding and a great translation.
Shimura's art starts out a little plain, but soon develops into a really nice, delicate style with some absolutely fantastic line-work.

Check out all the details and long list of glowing reviews on the official page.
http://www.fantagraphics.com/browse-shop/wandering-son.html?vmcchk=1

You can read an excerpt there as well.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 8, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Only thing that's interesting that's not more Dandy is the new SAO season. Very excited to see how far down the toilet it goes, especially with knowing a few really stupid tidbits about it.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Worldwide Panther posted:

Another was bearable until the final two episodes, which I remember disliking. I don't even know where a sequel would go.

I don't know what you're talking about, the ending episodes of Another were hilarious and the twist was suitably hammy.

duvel
Dec 13, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmGILOCr06g

This preview does not make me think Himegoto will be worth watching.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

duvel posted:

This is basically like Seitokai Yakuindomo but with a crossdressing dude, right?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

duvel posted:

The very first frame is a pantyshot. I think we know what to expect just from that.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
it's a shame too because he's doing a pretty drat good job at the crossdressing

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

The very first frame is a pantyshot. I think we know what to expect just from that.

I chuckled a bit. "Durr a pretty girl!?!" I won't watch it either though, not even my love for traps can overcome my apathy for even more 4koma poo poo.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Dandy, Sailor Moon, Aldnoah, maybe Akame, maybe Nozaki, and the anime with Yoko Kanno music plus some story about terrorism or something. I usually watch at least the first episode of everything, so we'll see if anything else jumps out at me.

But really, my favorite part of these threads is watching Zorak get more and more annoyed as he works his way down the listing of terrible shows.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

duvel posted:

If anyone thinks this poo poo is going to be any good after seeing this is on crack.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
The Japanese Wikipedia article suggests there's a character the others refer to as, essentially, "the Walking R-Rating." That should probably tell you exactly what kind of show it's going to be.

Edit: Season needs more robots. Giant robots. Not the dog kind.

John Carstairs fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 10, 2014

KoB
May 1, 2009
I had no idea Barakamon was getting an adaption! The manga is adorable :allears:

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

John Carstairs posted:

The Japanese Wikipedia article suggests there's a character the others refer to as, essentially, "the Walking R-Rating." That should probably tell you exactly what kind of show it's going to be.

Edit: Season needs more robots. Giant robots. Not the dog kind.

Well I mean, the genre hasn't had the best track record in recent years. When one of the foremost promoted and anticipated shows of the past year turned out to be 'this is /so/ amazingly bad and awful' and everything else has been average to pretty okay, it's not being that successful.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Gyra_Solune posted:

it's a shame too because he's doing a pretty drat good job at the crossdressing

Why can't we get a crossdressing anime where the guy makes a fantastically ugly girl?
http://imgur.com/pvoWN1U

That would at least have some potential.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

buzmeg posted:

Why can't we get a crossdressing anime where the guy makes a fantastically ugly girl?
http://imgur.com/pvoWN1U

That would at least have some potential.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure?

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Franz von Dada posted:

Inside Mari by Shūzō Oshimi (The Flowers of Evil) is pretty good. Don't know about all those other ones.

That's because the story is really more about identity than genderbending.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Potsticker posted:

Seto no Hanayome. :3:

I still think it's Seiji Kishi's best project to date.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Potsticker posted:

Seto no Hanayome.

A pretty good comedy anime that just kind of got lost in the shuffle that season (there were quite a few good shows running contemporaneously).

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

buzmeg posted:

Seto no Hanayome.

Wark Say posted:

Seto no Hanayome. :3:

I was offering a mention of another anime that had a protagonist who cross-dressed as an ugly girl!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Potsticker posted:

I was offering a mention of another anime that had a protagonist who cross-dressed as an ugly girl!

Sorry; it seemed that you were confusing Lunar's dad with a JoJo character.

Also, YOU DID NOT JUST CALL JOSEPHINE JOESTAR UGLY! :toughguy:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Potsticker posted:

You'd get your head fuckin' kicked in by Joseph for insinuating he wouldn't make a pretty girl.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

You'd get your head fuckin' kicked in by Joseph for insinuating he wouldn't make a pretty girl.

would he be dressed up as a girl when he is kicking me in the head? it is very important that he is

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Nah, I wouldn't say anything. If it's his choice to dress like that who am I to tell him it's wrong? :unsmith:

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Potsticker posted:

Nah, I wouldn't say anything. If it's his choice to dress like that who am I to tell him it's wrong? :unsmith:

Besides, he has tequila.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Potsticker posted:

Sorry, it was the question mark that made me think that you were asking what the anime was.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Exercu posted:

Besides, he has tequila.

If someone turns down free tequila just because the man offering it happens to be wearing a dress, they maybe should re-evaluate their life choices.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Potsticker posted:

If someone turns down free tequila just because the man offering it happens to be wearing a dress, they maybe should re-evaluate their life choices.

Pfft. Please. "Free tequila" can explain far stranger situations than man in a dress.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

buzmeg posted:

Pfft. Please. "Free tequila" can explain far stranger situations than man in a dress.

it still doesnt explain you're posting!

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

those feels when another season of animes get announced and there is still no Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer anime

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

So who's ready to tune into CN today to watch Yuasa's Adventure Time?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

those feels when another season of animes get announced and there is still no Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer anime
Or Spirit Circle, or Sengoku Youko, or something. With all the other modestly successful crap getting adaptations, you'd think one of his would get the nod just by process of elimination.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

buzmeg posted:

That's because the story is really more about identity than genderbending.

All genderbending is about identity even if it's to a shallow degree most of the time.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yuasa Adventure Time was awesome, as expected.

Edit: Astro Boy is getting a reboot.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 13, 2014

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Waffleman_ posted:

If they incorporate some elements from Pluto, that would be good. (They won't...)

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

pandaK posted:

So who's ready to tune into CN today to watch Yuasa's Adventure Time?

It was pretty amazing.

edit: Supposedly Food Chain was supposed to have a special intro that accidentally used by another episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bc-yLNvsZo

Silentman0 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 13, 2014

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm always up for another take on Astro Boy. Wasn't the last reboot actually considered decent, and only didn't do well in the West due to the network cutting it short and having episodes out of order? I've never seen the subbed version of it, so that was my experience with it. The GBA game was rad though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Allarion posted:

I'm always up for another take on Astro Boy. Wasn't the last reboot actually considered decent, and only didn't do well in the West due to the network cutting it short and having episodes out of order? I've never seen the subbed version of it, so that was my experience with it. The GBA game was rad though.

There's a subbed version floating around. Well, at least, the first half is subbed and the second half is HK subs. But it is quite well made! It had a huge budget, and it shows. It's good and it's a shame that Cartoon Network ran a chopped up version.

• Locked thread