Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

The second season of our favorite show containing over a dozen felonious strong female characters (often having sex with each other) has been released and is on Netflix. I'd post all their pictures but there are like a dozen unique, interesting, and engaging characters, so if you didn't watch the first season last time go around, watch it now and learn who they are. The main story may be about a rich white girl locked up out of her element, but the foundation of the show is the menagerie of supporting actresses and their complex interactions.

Seriously it is a great show. If you are only starting now you won't have to wait six months like the rest of us for resolution to, well, anything. Nothing was resolved last season, Piper still has at least 10 months in jail, and there is one hell of a cliffhanger. A hell of a lot happens in the few months the first season covers and the main character, Piper, proves to be surprisingly dynamic.

Pretty sure the rule is to just post all the spoilers you want, all 13 episodes are coming out at the same time so you can spend half a day watching all of them and getting fired for coming into work with zero sleep. I wont post any here, but I probably will so go watch the first season and then lets binge watch the new season this weekend!

Stereotype fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jun 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
Actually, I'd suggest possibly laying off the spoilery for maybe a week or so - some people tend to have lives outside of excellent television and might need just a little more time to catch up. (I almost wish I was one of those people. But I also don't.)

edit: Okay maybe not a week, yeah that's too long. I'll give you slowpokes two days. Then I'm going to discuss like I've always discussed before.

bubblelubble fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jun 5, 2014

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed
piper is walt

piper is walt

piper is walt

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I am too hyped. Waiting for Friday night to have time to binge this is going to be torture!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
For any new people: This show is surprisingly amusing, it's also really really dumb (don't let that turn you away).

The closest thing I can compare this to, is Weeds at the height of its insanity, but surprisingly grounded and better written. Of course being created by the same person naturally invites comparison. I'm stoked for season 2.

Edit: piper is walt

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Wait the timer in the OP isn't moving. When is the show coming back?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

the posted:

Wait the timer in the OP isn't moving. When is the show coming back?

My Netflix has the countdown at the top of the screen. It currently says 12 hours and 50 minutes, so tonight at 9PM HST (or midnight PDT).

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
Probably my favorite post from the season one thread:

zoux posted:

OK, Orange is the New Black:

I have no idea what this show is trying to say. One one hand, it seems to be trying to be about a priviledged white girl coping with prison and how it changes her, but the message that comes across is that priviledged white girls are just as tough as anyone from the wrong side of the tracks. The show has no tension, everything is either immediately resolved for no reason or solved with some Pinterest arts and crafts bullshit from Piper. The racial divide that the show sets up in the beginning is quickly melted away and Piper is able to make friends and connect with just about everyone in prison. The characters are flat, aside from a few straight up villians, all the inmates have hearts of gold and everyone is wiling to come together to solve problems. It's extremely patronizing to minority and class issues, and shows all the depth on these issues that you'd expect from a few tweets, not a real exploration of these complex problems. Piper never feels alienated, abandoned, threatened or afraid, even though the show's dialogue tells us that she does. The whole thing smacks of white-people tourism, a quick drop into the slums that the person tells her friends at a later party gave her a real perspective on how the other half lives. The real drama and conflict is relationship drama, which is an odd choice for a show set in a prison, which offers a much more rich source of conflict and drama than a love triangle. This is a brief sketch of my issues, and I can cite examples if challenged, but I wanted to be broad so that this whole post wasn't spoiler text'd. But I do have to mention one scene, from the finale, that is among the worst I've ever seen: The loving Christmas pageant. This gets beyond just white patronizing minorites, it's just cliched bad TV. It had not one, but two "wow she turns out to be a great singer" moments. The mute character, who you knew would say something meaningful and important at a critical time, turns out to have a beautiful voice! and starts singing in the pageant for NO reason other than it is mandated that at some point a mute character say something meaningful and important. Three black women sing gospel versions of carols, because that's what white people think black people do. The whole thing is just so condescending and twee that I loving hate it. Look, people get all over Girls for ignoring minority issues entirely, but if this is what happens when priviledged white girls try to write about poor, black people, I'd rather they just kept on ignoring minority issues. The tone is also weird, it's just too upbeat a comedy for such a bleak setting. Either the comedy needs to be alot blacker or it needs to stop trying to be serious about issues.

The show's not all bad though. It's generally very well acted, and the characters are mostly likeable, if not realistic. Sophia, the transsexual inmate, in particular is a very interesting character, and the episode where they explore her backstory is probably the closest the show says to saying something meaningful. It's medium funny, the pacing is fine and as long as you don't think too deeply about it, it's fine. On the whole I'd give the season a B-, and will probably watch season 2.

Hoping to see a follow-up review of season two.

What's with the Piper is Walt meme? Is that a thing?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

AshB posted:

Probably my favorite post from the season one thread:

Hoping to see a follow-up review of season two.

What's with the Piper is Walt meme? Is that a thing?

Did the person who wrote that quote even watch the show? None of what he said is true. Not a single thing.

I mean the last paragraph was correct at least, and shows that he miiiiight have actually watched it. But the rest is just bullshit.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 5, 2014

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The Christmas Pageant was really dumb, though.

I don't know, it's not as bad as that quote makes out, but if you go into it expecting "Oz but with titties" you're going to be horribly disappointed.

Nerd Grenade
Mar 27, 2010
So what time exactly will the show be available? Right at midnight or sometime later tomorrow?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Nerd Grenade posted:

So what time exactly will the show be available? Right at midnight or sometime later tomorrow?

My Netflix now says 10.5 hours

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

hailthefish posted:

The Christmas Pageant was really dumb, though.

It ended with

so all its sins are forgiven!

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Pennsatucky is my favourite character. It's weird watching a scene of one of the shows primary villains getting their rear end kicked and thinking "I hope they're okay". I guess she'll be getting those new teeth though. :unsmith:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Trabant posted:

It ended with

so all its sins are forgiven!

Yeah but all of the characters get along and everything is resolved without explanation despite these two characters being in conflict with each other for most of season 1.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

I said come in! posted:

Yeah but all of the characters get along and everything is resolved without explanation despite these two characters being in conflict with each other for most of season 1.

except Red has been stripped of her power after one of her girls dies, and nearly killed another of her friends trying to re-gain that power?

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Another hour and ten minutes right? I'm not seeing the count down anywhere on Netflix.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I don't have a countdown either. An hour-ish is about right? I guess?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

I said come in! posted:

Piper and Alex and Fiancee are in a fight as are the mexican girl and her CO lover, as well as Red's problems. The warden woman may be investigated for corruption, and her and the local boss are fighting. What exactly was resolved? They are all still in jail.

The only plotline that was resolved was Piper's roommate, and the only reason that was resolved is because she is now going to die in Maximum security.

30 minutes left!!

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Seriously I don't understand how anyone could have finished the first season and thought "Boy I sure would be content with the story ending right here, I don't need to know anything else!"

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?
Has anyone actually read Piper Kerman's book this show is based on? I discovered and subsequently binged on this show a few months ago (and am staying up long enough to watch the first new episode, 7 minutes!) and I'm curious if the memoir is as good and/or better than the show.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

It starts really soon, is anyone else watching the first episode right at release? Also they put a chicken in the countdown and i could prove it because I'm not in jail.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

T3hRen3gade posted:

Has anyone actually read Piper Kerman's book this show is based on? I discovered and subsequently binged on this show a few months ago (and am staying up long enough to watch the first new episode, 7 minutes!) and I'm curious if the memoir is as good and/or better than the show.

Someone in the season one thread read it. Apparently it's kind of crap, in that at any point in the show where something interesting or exciting happens, it's a departure from the book.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Stereotype posted:

Piper and Alex and Fiancee are in a fight as are the mexican girl and her CO lover, as well as Red's problems. The warden woman may be investigated for corruption, and her and the local boss are fighting. What exactly was resolved? They are all still in jail.

The only plotline that was resolved was Piper's roommate, and the only reason that was resolved is because she is now going to die in Maximum security.

30 minutes left!!

I know, I was being sarcastic because of that quote from the previous page that claimed there were no conflicts at all in season 1. There's tons of stuff being carried over into season 2. I can't wait to see it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is it out? I'm at work.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

It's out.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
The first episode is really good, it only has piper and a little alex

the second episode doesn't have piper in it at all, only the old characters

this is interesting to me

Stereotype fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jun 6, 2014

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Stereotype posted:

The first episode is really good, it only has piper and a little alex

the second episode doesn't have piper in it at all, only the old characters

this is interesting to me

Yeah the focus on Taystee was a welcome shift. Third episode's shaping up well, too, and some of the new castmates are interesting.

Honestly, I'm digging the focus moving away from Chapman more in the 2 and 3. Hope it keeps up.

EDIT: holy poo poo :lol: the backstory in ep3.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jun 6, 2014

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok I'm in and halfway through ep 1. Interesting to see the split continues at least into ep 3. Honestly though I'd so much rather be watching Taystee right now instead of Piper.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Bown posted:

Ok I'm in and halfway through ep 1. Interesting to see the split continues at least into ep 3. Honestly though I'd so much rather be watching Taystee right now instead of Piper.

Yah, there's still some Piper, obviously, but she has a small roll in ep2, a vague presence in ep3, and in 4 (which I'm currently on) she doesn't even show up until 14 minutes in.

Speaking of, :lol: roommie assignments, this oughta be good.

EDIT: Well, Morello's story is finally coming out, and wow.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jun 6, 2014

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

An Old Boot posted:

EDIT: Well, Morello's story is finally coming out, and wow.

yeah lol holy poo poo

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Stereotype posted:

yeah lol holy poo poo

And on that note, Boo's line 'you're a horrible person' is like the best thing. Even if it's coming from a dogfucker.

EDIT: Vee is manipulative and awful and great.

Also I could really live without the piefucker segues.

EDIT 2: Oh, Poussey. :( ... oh Morello :stare:

EDIT 3: Didn't think it was possible for Healy to turn into more of an rear end in a top hat, but, welp, here we are.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jun 6, 2014

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

hailthefish posted:

Someone in the season one thread read it. Apparently it's kind of crap, in that at any point in the show where something interesting or exciting happens, it's a departure from the book.

I have read it and it is pretty much exactly this.

Her friends send her a lot of books and people tease her about her books and everything is a feel good story with light at the end of the tunnel. Sometimes she talks about how she deserved it for doing that one thing she did.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Going through episode 1 right now, it's great.

"There ain't mountains in the Midwest, there's plains. And corn. And white people who don't vote in their best interest."

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Who is that as Young Crazy Eyes' mom?

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
Ugh. I am not big on all of the flashbacks.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

One thing this show needs is a catchup before ep 1 (or a 10 minute separate episode 0 or something). I watched the first season in pretty much 2 or 3 days when it first came out, and apart from the Pensyltucky incident I can't remember poo poo about what happened.

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.

TheBalor posted:

Ugh. I am not big on all of the flashbacks.

They were around constantly in season one as well? It isn't like they're just shoehorning them in, they've been a part since the very beginning.

An Old Boot posted:

And on that note, Boo's line 'you're a horrible person' is like the best thing. Even if it's coming from a dogfucker.

EDIT: Vee is manipulative and awful and great.

Also I could really live without the piefucker segues.

EDIT 2: Oh, Poussey. :( ... oh Morello :stare:

EDIT 3: Didn't think it was possible for Healy to turn into more of an rear end in a top hat, but, welp, here we are.

I love how they referenced her story in season 1 that she was in for ebay fraud

Also, I'm 4 episodes in and regarding Piper, it tickles me pink that her storyline at this point is pretty much WHO TOOK MY poo poo.

EL BROMANCE posted:

One thing this show needs is a catchup before ep 1 (or a 10 minute separate episode 0 or something). I watched the first season in pretty much 2 or 3 days when it first came out, and apart from the Pensyltucky incident I can't remember poo poo about what happened.

They had one? I know there was a 3-4 minute episode 0 type thing that happened as soon as I clicked watch on the season 2 button on my PS3.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

I had one when I was watching it in chrome, but not on my ps3 :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh yeah! Did it cover much more than the beating though? I remember seeing that while I was sitting down ready to watch, but nothing about any of the other characters? Maybe I need to restart that ep again and pay attention this time. D'oh!

e: oops no I'm confusing myself, I saw the GIF earlier in the thread. Jeez my heads a mess today, I didn't see a catchup so I'll see if I can trigger it this time.

• Locked thread