Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

masato tatanka posted:

I think Diego won if it were PRIDE rules

Nah. Even in those brawls at the end of the round Diego wasn't hitting anything and Pearson was landing the shots. I seriously can't think of 10 seconds of that fight Diego won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patient_Toffee
Apr 21, 2006

Break me off, show me what you got
Cause I don't want, no one minute man

EvanSchenck posted:

We get it from the last four years of his career. Last night was the best he's looked since the Guida fight. I notice you weren't arguing in his favor until the day after he got his first win by stoppage since the WEC.

Nate Diaz, Thompson, Melendez, Pettis and Edgar have been stopped a combined three times in their careers. Obviously Bendo is a terrible fighter because he couldn't finish any of them and it has nothing to do with them all being extremely talented fighters in the most stacked weight class. And your post is in no way at all retarded.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

He's more Japanese than Pearson.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.

Lloyd Boner posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure if Diego fights Nate it'll be contested almost entirely on the feet and assuming Diego doesn't get knocked out, Nate's gonna rack up like 200+ sig strikes.

At least half of the strikes in that fight would be chest-thumps.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Patient_Toffee posted:

Nate Diaz, Thompson, Melendez, Pettis and Edgar have been stopped a combined three times in their careers. Obviously Bendo is a terrible fighter because he couldn't finish any of them and it has nothing to do with them all being extremely talented fighters in the most stacked weight class. And your post is in no way at all retarded.

Guy asked why Bendo had a reputation for winning narrow decisions, when four of Bendo's last six wins were by narrow decision. I didn't say he was a terrible fighter, but I guess if you want to imagine that I did you should go for it.

--edit--
I mean just for fun I'm going to self-quote myself re: Bendo yesterday in this same thread

EvanSchenck posted:

At this point I think the issue with Bendo might be that he's a pressure and attrition fighter in a division full of guys with unbreakable chins who never get tired. Just now he beat Khabilov pretty much by avoiding getting killed by suplex/spinning poo poo and then outworking him on the feet and on the ground until Rustam wore down and left the door open, which Benson charged straight through for the finish. But then if you look at his UFC record it's a bunch of guys where that strategy doesn't work that well or at least is unlikely to deliver a stoppage (i.e. Miller, Guida, Edgar, Diaz, Melendez, etc., pretty much a laundry list of guys who refuse to die).

Schenck v. U.S. fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 9, 2014

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Fat Twitter Man posted:

It will probably be Sanchez/Gomi with less terrible judging.

half right

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

EvanSchenck posted:

Guy asked why Bendo had a reputation for winning narrow decisions, when four of Bendo's last six wins were by narrow decision. I didn't say he was a terrible fighter, but I guess if you want to imagine that I did you should go for it.

Counting the last six is pretty unfair though, because it ignores the beatings he doled out to become the top contender. Over his whole UFC career it's only four of nine.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

EvanSchenck posted:

Guy asked why Bendo had a reputation for winning narrow decisions, when four of Bendo's last six wins were by narrow decision.

I wasn't wondering why he had a reputation for winning narrow decisions, I was asking why all the chatter was focused on those narrow decisions when it wasn't the case last night. It seemed like people were ragging on him for the sake of ragging on him and saying stupid poo poo like he's a bad wrestler and doesn't punch hard when he both wrestled well and punched hard last night, or pretending that his size is the only reason he's done as well as he's done.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Jack of Hearts posted:

Counting the last six is pretty unfair though, because it ignores the beatings he doled out to become the top contender. Over his whole UFC career it's only four of nine.

I'll cop to it being unfair, because I started counting with his first fight with Frankie since that was Bendo's first controversial decision. To be clear, I think Benson is an excellent fighter who gets less credit than he deserves because he has a level of talent and a style that put him just barely above the rest of his division. There are champions who people stand in awe of, like Aldo, GSP, Anderson, Cain, etc., because they're head and shoulders above everybody they fight (until they aren't anymore). Since Frankie dethroned BJ, 155 has been more like a bunch of dudes jammed up right near the top, and the belt depends on who's the better man that night. I'd say Bendo gets static because he was the better man by mere inches a few times too many.

e:

Sprecherscrow posted:

I wasn't wondering why he had a reputation for winning narrow decisions, I was asking why all the chatter was focused on those narrow decisions when it wasn't the case last night. It seemed like people were ragging on him for the sake of ragging on him and saying stupid poo poo like he's a bad wrestler and doesn't punch hard when he both wrestled well and punched hard last night, or pretending that his size is the only reason he's done as well as he's done.

I could be wrong about this but I think a lot of that chatter was from before/during the fight, preceding the finish. Bendo proved us wrong, because he was finally fighting a dude who (A) did not have endless cardio and (B) could actually be disabled by punches to the dome.

Schenck v. U.S. fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 9, 2014

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

EvanSchenck posted:

I'll cop to it being unfair, because I started counting with his first fight with Frankie since that was Bendo's first controversial decision. To be clear, I think Benson is an excellent fighter who gets less credit than he deserves because he has a level of talent and a style that put him just barely above the rest of his division. There are champions who people stand in awe of, like Aldo, GSP, Anderson, Cain, etc., because they're head and shoulders above everybody they fight (until they aren't anymore). Since Frankie dethroned BJ, 155 has been more like a bunch of dudes jammed up right near the top, and the belt depends on who's the better man that night. I'd say Bendo gets static because he was the better man by mere inches a few times too many.
That's literally it. I've never disliked Benderson for any reason other than being a boring, uncharismatic wiener when he (rarely) takes the chance on a mic, and those chances manifest as merely borderline gloating after the handful of questionable decisions he got in fights where this forum may have wanted his opposition to win more. That's literally all that's stacked against him.

Though he should fix his goddamned hair, that poo poo is embarrassing.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
I think its cool that Urijah Fabers ego prevents him from giving Duane Lugwig proper credit, and also instead of improving his stand up he got his rear end whipped instantly by Barao, who Duane demonstrably couldve shown him how to defeat

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Bundt Cake posted:

I think its cool that Urijah Fabers ego prevents him from giving Duane Lugwig proper credit, and also instead of improving his stand up he got his rear end whipped instantly by Barao, who Duane demonstrably couldve shown him how to defeat

None of this is correct.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Were any of the fights good?

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
I like Benson more than the average goon but it bothered me when he proposed to his girlfriend like that on a big stage. Like yeah she was prolly 99% gonna say yes anyway, but it's still weird and a jerk thing to do.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

None of this is correct.

I dunno, Faber's style does not seem to have changed at all while Duane ran his camps. Whereas TJ made huge changes. Part of that is age I suppose, TJ is a lot newer to the sport and didn't have to overcome years of bad striking habits.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Were any of the fights good?

The flyweights were really good and Bendo/Khabilov was as well.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Bundt Cake posted:

Urijah has probably provided for his future better than any MMA fighter I can think of, but it's still wildly against his financial interests to say "yes, all of our success in the recent past was due to this guy who, uh, is now three states away." Ultimate Fitness costs like $150 a month, it'd be lunacy for the owner to act like the departure of one particular trainer was a major blow.

And as to his unwillingness to learn, Faber is kind of unique, right? Outside of title fights he is a hot knife through butter. His WEC run makes him basically the youngest old-school guy there is. He definitely wants to get back to the top, but there's no granular progression for him. He seems to be vastly better than any fighters but the champs, that must put you in a weird psychological spot.

1st AD posted:

I dunno, Faber's style does not seem to have changed at all while Duane ran his camps. Whereas TJ made huge changes. Part of that is age I suppose, TJ is a lot newer to the sport and didn't have to overcome years of bad striking habits.

This is what I mean by Faber being old school, because even though he hasn't taken that much damage, he's still old in fight years, just in terms of the number of tricks you can teach an old dog.

Tacky-Ass Rococco fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 9, 2014

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Jack of Hearts posted:

Urijah has probably provided for his future better than any MMA fighter I can think of, but it's still wildly against his financial interests to say "yes, all of our success in the recent past was due to this guy who, uh, is now three states away." Ultimate Fitness costs like $150 a month, it'd be lunacy for the owner to act like the departure of one particular trainer was a major blow.

And as to his unwillingness to learn, Faber is kind of unique, right? Outside of title fights he is a hot knife through butter. His WEC run makes him basically the youngest old-school guy there is. He definitely wants to get back to the top, but there's no granular progression for him. He seems to be vastly better than any fighters but the champs, that must put you in a weird psychological spot.

I dont see how it would be stupid for him to admit what every other person who watches fights realizes. He became a good striker by taking advantage of his natural speed. And if you watch the Rogan podcast with TJ and Duane they basically attribute the whole win to Duane breaking Barao's combinations down and TJ using his speed so, exactly Duane's coaching plus superior speed beat Barao. Also Faber looks young, so you might think he's young, but hes old and has been old since also very old guy Mike Brown pushed him out of 145

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Bundt Cake posted:

I dont see how it would be stupid for him to admit what every other person who watches fights realizes. He became a good striker by taking advantage of his natural speed. And if you watch the Rogan podcast with TJ and Duane they basically attribute the whole win to Duane breaking Barao's combinations down and TJ using his speed so, exactly Duane's coaching plus superior speed beat Barao. Also Faber looks young, so you might think he's young, but hes old and has been old since also very old guy Mike Brown pushed him out of 145

Think of Faber as a business owner instead of as a fighter and treat it as corporate-speak. And the fact that he's old is my point, because an old guy who can beat the hell out of almost anyone he fights is gonna have a hard time with the idea that he has to rebuild his striking style altogether. The guy was a dominant champion, and even now he can convincingly beat anyone except one or two guys at 135. If you were him, would you have the humility to rebuild your style?

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Jack of Hearts posted:

Think of Faber as a business owner instead of as a fighter and treat it as corporate-speak. And the fact that he's old is my point, because an old guy who can beat the hell out of almost anyone he fights is gonna have a hard time with the idea that he has to rebuild his striking style altogether. The guy was a dominant champion, and even now he can convincingly beat anyone except one or two guys at 135. If you were him, would you have the humility to rebuild your style?

If I was 5'5 130 lbs yeah i think id have some humility

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
I get your point. I dont think we disagree.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I think the age thing is important because I can't imagine Faber improving to the point where he could've beat Aldo or Barão. He spent too many years of his career running his own training camp and the only guy that was a remotely qualified striker at Ultimate Fitness just did overpriced pad drilling and would disappear for weeks at a time to gamble or take care of gambling debts. This is before we're even talking about physically declining due to a long career.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Just watched the fights. The Bendo submission was amazing and the fight itself was tense as hell. Khabilov may have lost, but he looked pretty good for someone that's only had like 3 UFC fights.

Why the hell does Diego not grapple anymore? I mean I get he's a goddamn moron, and I get that TUF 1 was a long time ago now, but he had an amazing ground game that he just never uses anymore, in favour of trying to be Chuck Liddel and failing miserably at it.

How the gently caress did one judge score it 30-27, that literally makes no sense.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

It's hard to grapple if you can't even close the distance because someone is sticking their jab out there and moving laterally while you try to brawl your way inside.

Also his body is probably broken down as poo poo these days.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I regret Kenny didn't have the opportunity to beat up Diego before he retired, because it would've been a funny fight between a fighter who improved markedly over time and one who was stuck in stasis and has now regressed.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if MMA judging worked correctly Diego would be on a six fight losing streak? I don't really remember the Kampmann fight but looking it up it seems a lot of people thought Diego robbed him as well. Diego has also taken a ton of damage in those fights. Maybe the community of judges just really hate him and they want him to keep fighting and getting beaten up, so they gift him decisions to keep him from retiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYL_Q2BmvLU

• Locked thread