Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
AV Club is super into the sexual awakening of a 14 year-old boy.

Also, I'm pretty sure they had a collective orgasm when he lost his arm.

Totally not creepy, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
i was a little surprised to see the protagonist in a cartoon for children just straight up lose their arm

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

butplug accident posted:

wonder showzen has nothing on this odd couple

I don't know, that seems pretty weird but a live action show that has a real human child go to ground zero and accuse people of being in favor of 9/11 has its own brand of hosed up that most shows don't hit.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Naerasa posted:

I don't know, that seems pretty weird but a live action show that has a real human child go to ground zero and accuse people of being in favor of 9/11 has its own brand of hosed up that most shows don't hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-KUbflnMEs

few things even go near what wonder showzen touches

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
9/11? slaves? suicide? what's next, jews? that's so tame i'm yawning aloud just thinking of it. hell, marceline offends the middlebrows more by just raising her pinky. she's a seriously twisted girl

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

rcman50166 posted:

i was a little surprised to see the protagonist in a cartoon for children just straight up lose their arm

Yeah, but his arm-flower had an orgasm and it grew back.

AV Club is probably going to eat itself alive now.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Yeah I like adventure time and regular show come at me fags

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
alright im home now thank you for your help adventure time thread

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

AT spends a lot of time making GBS threads on their nerd fanbase

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

SunAndSpring posted:

annie clark is a cutie and a good musician. this is true

did you like St. Vincent i really like Huey Newton but everything after Digital Witness is kind of hit or miss

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
schmawow

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

adventure time is anime and like all anime is for children. it's pretty good but not really as profound as certain people (tumblr and the av club) like to think. it also has an air of hipstery pretentiousness about it, like the creators are super pleased with themselves at how deep and artsy it is

tl/dr it's good, regular show is probably funnier/more entertaining though

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

icantfindaname posted:

adventure time is anime and like all anime is for children. it's pretty good but not really as profound as certain people (tumblr and the av club) like to think. it also has an air of hipstery pretentiousness about it, like the creators are super pleased with themselves at how deep and artsy it is

tl/dr it's good, regular show is probably funnier/more entertaining though
Irony sucks and anime owns because it tends to be incredibly unpretentious (glaring examples like Eva and Lain excluded) and when some unabashed balls-to-the-wall in your face titties-and-fighting show like Kill la Kill comes out it makes Americans uncomfortable and they have to project some sort of ironic deep layer to it because they're ashamed to admit that cartoons can and do regularly give them boners if you let them (e.g. America's long history of tijuana bibles and pulp trash pinup art)

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Sabel posted:

Irony sucks and anime owns because it tends to be incredibly unpretentious (glaring examples like Eva and Lain excluded) and when some unabashed balls-to-the-wall in your face titties-and-fighting show like Kill la Kill comes out it makes Americans uncomfortable and they have to project some sort of ironic deep layer to it because they're ashamed to admit that cartoons can and do regularly give them boners if you let them (e.g. America's long history of tijuana bibles and pulp trash pinup art)

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

icantfindaname posted:

adventure time is anime and like all anime is for children.

anime is slanteye junk tho :confused:

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Sabel posted:

This is the only ok argument for anime I have ever seen in any medium. Its ok, but still not great.

e: wait no I read it again and its crap. :420:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What the gently caress does that lovely Kill La Kill show have to do with anything?

Reset Button
Jan 25, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

What the gently caress does that lovely Kill La Kill show have to do with anything?

woah lets not say things we cant take back

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

tractor fanatic posted:

did you like St. Vincent i really like Huey Newton but everything after Digital Witness is kind of hit or miss

It was good. 8/10.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Internet Kraken posted:

http://i.imgur.com/iAB1EVj.jpg :nws:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alexzandvar posted:

counter point

That was such a great thread.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Sabel posted:

basically FLCL is what Adventure Time is trying to be. it fails at it because it's unable to drop the pretension and protective shell of irony and just be a show about a stupid kid growing up doing stupid kid poo poo

(note: i will never stop trying to sell people on FLCL. i'm not sorry. it really is that good)

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 6, 2014

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
I used to like adventure time being an adult who enjoys such things then people say this:

butplug accident posted:

it's not really a cartoon for kids even though they can watch it if they want i guess. it's filled with some pretty dark stuff so it's more correct to say it's a cartoon for adults akin to wonder showzen

And I stopped watching it (I really hope you're being ironic :psyduck:).

It got real loving old, real fast when people are trying to claim a kid's show for themselvezzz. Loads of kids shows had a ton of dark humour.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

princess bubblegum is an amoral dictator

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

shes alright actually but she is slowly conquering the world

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Phoon posted:

shes alright actually but she is slowly conquering the world

The Bible
May 8, 2010

mng posted:

i think i'd be really confused and bored as a kid if i watched the really deep and serious episodes. Dexter's Lab was cool tho

Adventure Time has deep and serious episodes?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

I love how he was most likely posing ironically in that one (fedora - check; jorts - check; sandals and socks - check) but in the end it backfired completely and everyone was simply quoting it calling him a fat goon.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
this is why we cant have nice things.

but really, the photoshops made that much better

^I think this is my favorite one

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
What are jorts?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

rcman50166 posted:

this is why we cant have nice things.

but really, the photoshops made that much better

^I think this is my favorite one

How does it feel to become a meme?

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Look what that slick shit bought ya
A first class ticket to Lucifer, real name Christopher
I like Adventure Time, and i'd watch it more often but for some reason they wait for like two months to put the new episodes on Comcast on demand. I liked that part in the episode with the Ice King and Marceline where she climbed down from a bridge on a big piece of gum that had a face on it and you figure that's probably Princess Bubblegum. Also I like that the guy who voices Lemongrab does Morty from Rick & Morty, which is a show for grown ups.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

How does it feel to become a meme?

idk considering half the reason it blew up like it did was because of his panicked legal threats i would guess that no sir he doesn't like it

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Look what that slick shit bought ya
A first class ticket to Lucifer, real name Christopher

rezatahs posted:

idk considering half the reason it blew up like it did was because of his panicked legal threats i would guess that no sir he doesn't like it

You should read the "fat is beautiful" thread. He's apparently okay with it and rented the outfit and tee-hee aren't I silly and he's typed so many words since then that people don't even remember why they thought he was an oversensitive piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

rezatahs posted:

i had it in a reduced resolution on my Flickr specifically for the reason for sharing it here. When people started to rehost it is when I started having issue with it. Also, it was pissing off twee as gently caress and we know what happened to him. I leave most of them up because of the photoshop thread and wanting to keep it all intact in the goldmine. I still delete duplicate instances every now and then.

• Locked thread