Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Nice job on the OP. That is a pretty impressive amount of material for a monthly thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Radish posted:

I agree that the US has a lot of puritanical roots but at the same time our media is hyper-sexually charged and people want sex. You can't just tell people that safe sex is now gone because "we said so" and not expect an extreme backlash from people that are used to it. If they kept it to the oppression of poor people (via pricing it too high unless you had an insurance company negotiating it for you like with Hobby Lobby) then I can see it festering for a while but the religious true believers won't be stopping there.

We as a culture use sex to sell things, but then hold it up as the forbidden fruit that people should be ashamed of having. Plus, we're trying to ensure that the poor remain poor, and that there are enough poor people to exploit into the future. Taking family planning away from the poor knocks out two birds with one stone.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

Nice job on the OP. That is a pretty impressive amount of material for a monthly thread.

I'm pretty sure he's just c/p from the last month's op and then adding stuff at the end or something.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

rkajdi posted:

We as a culture use sex to sell things, but then hold it up as the forbidden fruit that people should be ashamed of having. Plus, we're trying to ensure that the poor remain poor, and that there are enough poor people to exploit into the future. Taking family planning away from the poor knocks out two birds with one stone.

Which I agree with. I just don't think they are going to stop with the poor.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Honestly, after the ruling Obama should've just said "no, gently caress you guys. Congress has sole authority over these matters and if you don't like it you can eat poo poo, we're going to continue enforcing the VRA" and force a showdown while directly calling out people like Roberts on their long held desires to dismantle the VRA. Be he didn't. And he won't do anything when the court goes 5-4 in favor of Hobby Lobby and we see ALEC go twice as hard at pushing religion-defense bullshit nationwide.

Uh, what if the states say no, and implement their racist voter suppression laws anyway? Does Obama just go full-on Constitutional Crisis and deploy the 101st Airborne again to enforce his will without congressional approval or even the justification of enforcing a court order?

Ehhhh thanks anyway, but that's okay, I'd rather not give President Perry moral standing to say "gently caress you SCOTUS, privacy isn't in the constitution, so states if you want to go back to banning abortion and sodomy, and start executing minors again, have at it, I'm ordering the executive branch not to interfere or enforce any that SCOTUS horseshit, 9th Amendment baby!"

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

forbidden lesbian posted:

I'm pretty sure he's just c/p from the last month's op and then adding stuff at the end or something.

At a brief glance it appears a lot more has been added and the c/p is from the post he made last month so I'm not really sure what your point is. It's still pretty impressive and I say this as a person who probably isn't exactly in his "target audience."

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Radish posted:

Which I agree with. I just don't think they are going to stop with the poor.

Agreed. I think we're going to swing back to some Guilded Age hellhole within my lifetime. It's a huge reason to why I've made very sure to not have kids-- nobody deserves that kind of oppression given to them, and refusing to give the 1%ers another body to extract value from may be one of the few ways to actually hurt them.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Evil Fluffy posted:

Why would they co-sponsor it? They have nothing to gain for themselves by doing so and anyone who does so knows they'll be primaried.

Honestly, after the ruling Obama should've just said "no, gently caress you guys. Congress has sole authority over these matters and if you don't like it you can eat poo poo, we're going to continue enforcing the VRA" and force a showdown while directly calling out people like Roberts on their long held desires to dismantle the VRA. Be he didn't. And he won't do anything when the court goes 5-4 in favor of Hobby Lobby and we see ALEC go twice as hard at pushing religion-defense bullshit nationwide.

The SCOTUS ruling was literally "Congress has the ability to set the VRA guidelines it's just that the current ones are too out of date so they need to pass new ones".

I mean yeah the intent was to gut it and there's no way that it'll pass in this Congress but SCOTUS is agreeing with you there.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

At a brief glance it appears a lot more has been added and the c/p is from the post he made last month so I'm not really sure what your point is. It's still pretty impressive and I say this as a person who probably isn't exactly in his "target audience."

My point was an attempt to explain how it got so much material, I don't think he's ever trimmed it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah the GOP has a million reasons why they shouldn't move the VRA amendment forward this year. It would only stop their state/local buddies from disenfranchising 'certain people' from voting.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah the GOP has a million reasons why they shouldn't move the VRA amendment forward this year. It would only stop their state/local buddies from disenfranchising 'certain people' from voting.

They've gotten what they need, so there's no point in hiding it anymore. What are black/poor people going to do, vote them out of office with the franchise that they lost?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

computer parts posted:

The SCOTUS ruling was literally "Congress has the ability to set the VRA guidelines it's just that the current ones are too out of date so they need to pass new ones".

I mean yeah the intent was to gut it and there's no way that it'll pass in this Congress but SCOTUS is agreeing with you there.

The thing is that the SCOTUS really doesn't have the authority to say they're out of date, and the argument of it being out of date was such a blatant lie that Obama should've publicly called them on it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The only way they were out of date is every state should probably be forced to have their voting laws approved since holy poo poo people have really decided Jim Crow needs a second chance pretty much all over the country.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Elephant Ambush posted:

This does work sometimes but the more studied and practiced ones will reply with "The rights of one person end where the rights of another begin". And while that's true, it's also a lovely argument and then it takes us right back to "is a fetus a baby?" and they'll never, ever concede on that issue.

For this reason I find the argument of "should government be able to mandate liver donation, enforceable by arrest and being chained down to a stretcher while they do it?" to be more useful in explaining my opinion on the matter. It cuts out the "fetus has right to life" arguments because the person in need of a chunk of liver is unquestionably alive, and it also allows an easy segue into discussion of banning things which might potentially prevent the donation (No alcohol! That worked out great last time). Also the complication rate for a living liver donation are lower than that of pregnancy.

But that's only if someone asks me and is one of those wishy-washy on the fence about it people. Actively arguing a true believer is just a dumb idea.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

greatn posted:

Look, you may not agree with their methods, but witches don't exist anymore, and I think the Puritans are at least partially to thank for that.

Darkwater? Is that you? It's been so long!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Radish posted:

The only way they were out of date is every state should probably be forced to have their voting laws approved since holy poo poo people have really decided Jim Crow needs a second chance pretty much all over the country.

Pretty much the second you remove legal anti-discrimination requirements the practices snap right back to Jim Crow-era policies and half the country thinks that racism is over.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

rkajdi posted:

They've gotten what they need, so there's no point in hiding it anymore. What are black/poor people going to do, vote them out of office with the franchise that they lost?

They will need more as demographics change. You will definitely see poll taxes/literacy tests and the like return to GOP state legislatures as demographics change more over the years.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

The thing is that the SCOTUS really doesn't have the authority to say they're out of date, and the argument of it being out of date was such a blatant lie that Obama should've publicly called them on it.

Although I agree with you because the Radical Republicans specifically wrote the Reconstruction Amendments to give all discretion to Congress to keep the racist-rear end 1860's SCOTUS from undoing the Civil War...if Congress thinks the SCOTUS exceeded its authority here, the Constitution gives Congress several ways to deal with that.

Obviously that sucks because Congress is currently interested in doing both jack and poo poo, but I don't want to go back to Jacksonian executive disregard of court orders.

Radish posted:

Counterpoint: the current SCOTUS is totes cool with disenfranchisement, so as long as you don't literally write "no blacks" into your voting laws and thereby signal that racism isn't actually over, they'll probably approve whatever.

The VRA needs to be a constitutional amendment specifying the NAACP as the election law pre-clearance granting body.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 6, 2014

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mcmagic posted:

They will need more as demographics change. You will definitely see poll taxes/literacy tests and the like return to GOP state legislatures as demographics change more over the years.

Yup, but everything I see tells me the VRA is going to die after it hits its next sundown date (It has one of those, right? that's the reason for reauthorization), so all this stuff will happen post-haste. I doubt it will hurt me personally because I'm male and white (and can pass for straight and Christian) but it will pretty much be the end of the country as anything other than a hollow apartheid state.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

rkajdi posted:

Yup, but everything I see tells me the VRA is going to die after it hits its next sundown date (It has one of those, right? that's the reason for reauthorization), so all this stuff will happen post-haste. I doubt it will hurt me personally because I'm male and white (and can pass for straight and Christian) but it will pretty much be the end of the country as anything other than a hollow apartheid state.

It will just make red states redder pretty much.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

VitalSigns posted:

Actually it would change those arguments' effectiveness, because the Court (and most Americans) aren't going to buy the argument that mandating straight-up contraception coverage is actually a substantial burden on religion. But since the men on the Court seem good with that argument when it comes to abortion, the tactic is to claim whatever you hate causes abortion according to your beliefs and count on the court's reluctance to pass judgment on the validity of religious belief.

The substantial burden analysis does not turn on the specifics of what's being mandated. It'll be about Hobby Lobby having to pay for health insurance (if it has a claim under RFRA), and the Greens indirectly paying for that as owners of the company. http://www.volokh.com/2013/12/04/3a...gious-practice/

The contraception-specific piece is in strict scrutiny which is more complicated.

rkajdi posted:

So do you actually have evidence states have been doing poo poo to try to do this? Voter id has minimal impact on turnout.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Counterpoint: City of Boerne v. Flores.

rkajdi posted:

The sundown date is only for pre-clearance.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

quote:

AS I've been trying to explain to libtards everywhere, Benghazi!

Secret Muslim Kool-Aid! Anti-obesity drink more water, I say hah to your global warming conspiracy. I WANT TO BRING MY GUN INTO ANY drat TACO BELL I WANT TO BRING IT. We must stop leading from behind. Being anti-gay marriage isn't bigotry, it's just reminding people it's Adam and Eve, not Adam and Evan. So stop trying to keep my freedom.

Barry Soweto bankrupt buy gold, but Cliven Bundy hero not tax cheat taxes aren't legal state trumps it camp at his house with my unit of militiamen patriots.

Go to Target with automatic weapons? Of course, because Ted Nugent hunts buffalo without your Hopey Changey unions.

So if you Behnghazi, then lamestream media Fox News Trayvon Martin was no victim. I lost my freedom because of you Hippie Dippie Hippy Dippys, and the only Joe the Plumber dead kids my guns matter more. My guns matter more, because good guy with a gun stops Hitler, and I can tell the difference.

I can't say this enough, I WANT TO BRING MY GUN INTO ANY drat TACO BELL I WANT TO BRING IT!

Hilary has a head injury.

I want to repost this, and stare at this, and admire this because it is beautiful.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

So do you actually have evidence states have been doing poo poo to try to do this? Voter id has minimal impact on turnout.

Higher impact on election results than voter fraud "prevented" by these measures.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mcmagic posted:

It will just make red states redder pretty much.

It could also make battleground states (FL and VA in particular) red again. Plus, the big issue to me is that it's actually going to oppress the people living there. Lots of people can't leave the hellholes they live in right now because of money or family support issues, and I'd expect that would make things worse. You can't run an apartheid state without an oppressed class, after all.

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

We've just seen Alabama try to bring voucher tests (specifically made illegal under the VRA) back http://www.naacpldf.org/press-release/naacp-legal-defense-fund-calls-state-alabama-stop-using-discriminatory-voucher-test. If that's not enough to make you think these ingrates are trying to rise up again, I don't know what else to tell you.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

The substantial burden analysis does not turn on the specifics of what's being mandated. It'll be about Hobby Lobby having to pay for health insurance (if it has a claim under RFRA), and the Greens indirectly paying for that as owners of the company. http://www.volokh.com/2013/12/04/3a...gious-practice/

The contraception-specific piece is in strict scrutiny which is more complicated.

You're probably right about strict scrutiny, but either way I don't think it's unreasonable to suspect that the SCOTUS is a lot more likely to rule for Hobby Lobby if this is about abortion instead of birth control, which is why the right is spinning it that way. Roberts was really, really interested in pinning down the government at oral arguments over whether their logic would permit congress to require actual abortion coverage if they wanted, so he could move into "ah but here they believe these things cause abortions so it's the same thing!"

The religious right has spent 40 years convincing people that miscarrying a few cells is like cutting up a squalling baby, crying about persecution, and wedging in the idea that anytime the government makes it easier in any way for a woman to get an abortion, it's religious oppression. It's certainly no accident that now that they've largely succeeded there, all of a sudden they're discovering that more and more contraceptives cause abortions and even the very definition of what is an abortion grows wider and wider.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VitalSigns posted:

The religious right has spent 40 years convincing people that miscarrying a few cells is like cutting up a squalling baby, crying about persecution, and wedging in the idea that anytime the government makes it easier in any way for a woman to get an abortion, it's religious oppression. It's certainly no accident that now that they've largely succeeded there, all of a sudden they're discovering that more and more contraceptives cause abortions and even the very definition of what is an abortion grows wider and wider.

Yup. For all these idiots being all about the Constituion and being Founder cultists, they sure aren't willing to understand that the right to privacy and an abortion is now part of the 9th ammendment and thus on the same level of importance as all the other parts of the Bill of Rights. But of course if you undermine the actual right to something via economic violence, you can keep up appearances enough to get away with it for a few years until you have inertia on your side again.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

rkajdi posted:

Yup. For all these idiots being all about the Constituion and being Founder cultists, they sure aren't willing to understand that the right to privacy and an abortion is now part of the 9th ammendment and thus on the same level of importance as all the other parts of the Bill of Rights. But of course if you undermine the actual right to something via economic violence, you can keep up appearances enough to get away with it for a few years until you have inertia on your side again.

You're an idiot if you think they actually care about rights in all of this garbage.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DemeaninDemon posted:

You're an idiot if you think they actually care about rights in all of this garbage.

I agree. But it should be called out when they try to hide behind the facade of Important Dead lovely White Men and act as if any of it matters one iota.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

forbidden lesbian posted:

My point was an attempt to explain how it got so much material, I don't think he's ever trimmed it.

I've trimmed and rewritten several sections as they get resolved, more information comes out, or they fall out of date. I've also added a lot of material to it, it's about 17 pages now. There's a reason it takes me several hours to put it together.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

No details, but Naval Medical Center Portsmouth has issued an "Active Shooter" alert

It's a drill. Been scheduled and announced for a week or so.

Either that, or a horrendous coincidence.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

mcmagic posted:

24th amendment bars poll or other taxes preventing voting. Of course it only does that on the federal level, one of the states (Arizona I think?) was looking to split federal and state voting eligibility to being back proscribed restrictions

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

rkajdi posted:

I agree. But it should be called out when they try to hide behind the facade of Important Dead lovely White Men and act as if any of it matters one iota.

If only the -Ds had the balls to.

Really, though, we have social media now. Use it to correct people with communist stuff like facts and properly collected data. Then crawl even deeper into the bottle when they say "Your facts are interpreted as lies in my brain."

^^^ Holy poo poo I remember reading that. I think it is Arizona. Seems like something that'd take the fast-track to the SCOTUS, too.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
By 'on the federal level', do you mean for offices in the federal government, or elections that the whole country takes part in, which is pretty much just the presidential election? Is it likely that anyone would argue that technically, even the presidential elections happen at the state level, since you're voting for electors who then vote for the president?

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

joeburz posted:

Higher impact on election results than voter fraud "prevented" by these measures.

Well obviously. But pre-clearance wouldn't help (Crawford v. Marion County Election Board).

VitalSigns posted:

You're probably right about strict scrutiny, but either way I don't think it's unreasonable to suspect that the SCOTUS is a lot more likely to rule for Hobby Lobby if this is about abortion instead of birth control, which is why the right is spinning it that way. Roberts was really, really interested in pinning down the government at oral arguments over whether their logic would permit congress to require actual abortion coverage if they wanted, so he could move into "ah but here they believe these things cause abortions so it's the same thing!"

Rereading the transcript it looks like it was just Kennedy asking about it once unless I missed something. But who knows what the logic will be until the decision comes down.

made of bees posted:

By 'on the federal level', do you mean for offices in the federal government, or elections that the whole country takes part in, which is pretty much just the presidential election? Is it likely that anyone would argue that technically, even the presidential elections happen at the state level, since you're voting for electors who then vote for the president?

Poll taxes violate EPC at every level.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rkajdi posted:

It could also make battleground states (FL and VA in particular) red again. Plus, the big issue to me is that it's actually going to oppress the people living there. Lots of people can't leave the hellholes they live in right now because of money or family support issues, and I'd expect that would make things worse. You can't run an apartheid state without an oppressed class, after all.

We've just seen Alabama try to bring voucher tests (specifically made illegal under the VRA) back http://www.naacpldf.org/press-release/naacp-legal-defense-fund-calls-state-alabama-stop-using-discriminatory-voucher-test. If that's not enough to make you think these ingrates are trying to rise up again, I don't know what else to tell you.

I'm kinda confused at the voucher test thing. In Kentucky for example you need to identify yourself with a photo id or some forms of nonphoto id OR be known by a poll worker. I have always been vouched for by a friend's mom who always volunteers as an election judge for the precinct I've been in.

This appears to be the system that Alabama wants to implement however with a more restrictive id checking system (Kentucky is pretty much anything thing your name to the address you're registered at). The concern is that they'd let through any white people that didn't have id and deny anyone else which seems quite reasonable. Why is my state allowed to do what it does?

Also, I thought that the old outlawed voucher system was something where you were required to have an election official say you lived in the precinct.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

made of bees posted:

I believe it applies to elections for any federal officeholder.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I always thought it applied to all elections, but nope

quote:

Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax.

Section 2. The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.[1]

Due Process does apply to all elections though. Bush v Gore.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hobbesmaster posted:

This appears to be the system that Alabama wants to implement however with a more restrictive id checking system (Kentucky is pretty much anything thing your name to the address you're registered at). The concern is that they'd let through any white people that didn't have id and deny anyone else which seems quite reasonable. Why is my state allowed to do what it does?

Bottom line is it shouldn't have. Though it was probably allowed to pass by some combination of the following:

* The Justice Department civil rights division being a giant pile of poo poo under every president from Reagan to Bush II.
* That the ID requirement in KY is much, much lower.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DemeaninDemon posted:

If only the -Ds had the balls to.

The Democrats are as bound up in "tradition" and "civility" as the GOP is. It's bad enough that have to worry about being outvoted by living shitstain bigots, I don't see why I should have to repsect the opinions and thoughts of dead ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rkajdi posted:

Bottom line is it shouldn't have. Though it was probably allowed to pass by some combination of the following:

* The Justice Department civil rights division being a giant pile of poo poo under every president from Reagan to Bush II.
* That the ID requirement in KY is much, much lower.

These are Kentucky's options for voter id for reference:

KAR posted:

(1) Personal acquaintance - "PA"
(2) Motor vehicle operator's license - "DL"
(3) Social Security card - "SS"
(4) Credit card - "CC"
(5) Identification card with picture and signature (other identification) - "OI"

• Locked thread