Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Hey guys, suss out who's getting what. Also, did anyone take the ring from the Vitor encounter? If not, somebody claim it b/c there's no use letting that go to waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void
Jericho's not taking any magic items, but he will be taking Tyrant back to camp to make a cloak from its pelt. :black101:

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
Unless you guys found a magic item that grants a substantial bonus on all to-hit rolls, Keaira don't need nuthin'.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Rtwo posted:

Unless you guys found a magic item that grants a substantial bonus on all to-hit rolls, Keaira don't need nuthin'.

The collar gives a bonus to hit rolls when you have CA on the target

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
I'll take the ring. Extra damage on a charge sounds like its up my alley.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Cool, just the collar left. If anyone wants it, claim it. You won't be selling/buying magic items in this campaign though so if anyone's holding off b/c they don't want to be greedy, don't. I'm trying to do loot closer to the 2nd edition style so magic items will be abundant.

I'll get the next update up in a short bit, everyone will be leveling to level 2 but don't level up yet please

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

TheArchimage posted:

If we had a rogue, the collar would be easy to hand off...

...or a blackguard :getin:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

I agree

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
A new challenger appears!

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

:tviv:

Actual content: I might want to rework this dude to suck slightly less. Does the DM or do the players have any thoughts/feelings either way?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

P.d0t posted:

:tviv:

Actual content: I might want to rework this dude to suck slightly less. Does the DM or do the players have any thoughts/feelings either way?

Do whatever you want just stay a striker please

B)

Feel free to build a cheesy combat advantage character now that you're starting with a boss CA item. Your character will start at level 2, I'll assign you some starting gear beyond the collar so don't worry about that part.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Oct 23, 2014

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
(edit: updated to level 2)
(edit2: now Duke just needs a bitchin' mask, so he can look like this)

Mirthless posted:

Do whatever you want just stay a striker please

B)

Feel free to build a cheesy combat advantage character now that you're starting with a boss CA item. Your character will start at level 2, I'll assign you some starting gear beyond the collar so don't worry about that part.

I'm totally good sticking with a Blackguard, but the typical build for them is to go max CHA, human for the bonus at-will, and take Ardent Strike for a Marking power; essentially an off-Defender. This works good because blackguard features key entirely off of CHA. Yes all of them.

Being human would mean all the Vryloka racial fluff would be lost, though, and I think that would be bad for this game.
Keeping it as it is, on the other hand, would mean Ranged Basic Attacks all day every day, but I'll be good for Thievery.

tl;dr I'm alright with playing a sub-optimal build for ~*roleplaying*~ considerations, but I don't want to be a liability to the other players.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Oct 23, 2014

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
You won't be underpowered if you don't go the rote charop route. If I think you're falling behind I can patch the gap with gear and achievements. Go with whatever you're going to have the most fun roleplaying.

So, about this segment:

I am giving everyone a little single character driven short to play through between major outings. This is mostly because Kelda needs to figure out how her powers work and Keaira and Nadya are divine characters without established religious histories. This is mostly adlib so hopefully I'm not getting in over my head and these shouldn't be elaborate side stories, so let's just have fun with it and we can get back into the campaign proper once we're through.

OzCavalier
Jun 6, 2006

SON OF BITCH!
[LEFT HOOK]
Lucky bastard P.dot... Still think this warband needs a bard to sing their praises... ;)

That said, this game is an absolute blast to read. Kudos to all.

*goes back to observing/lurking the game thread*

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Mirthless posted:

So, about this segment:

Just to clarify, is the "-2 to all rolls" just d20 rolls, or are damage rolls included too?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

P.d0t posted:

Just to clarify, is the "-2 to all rolls" just d20 rolls, or are damage rolls included too?

Just d20 rolls. Don't worry, you'll have a way to manage this penalty soon.

OzCavalier posted:

Lucky bastard P.dot... Still think this warband needs a bard to sing their praises... ;)

That said, this game is an absolute blast to read. Kudos to all.

*goes back to observing/lurking the game thread*

You've got the next spot that opens, whether that's when I get ready for an eighth player or if somebody drops. Thanks for sticking with the thread!

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Oct 23, 2014

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void
Would I be able to use Nature instead of Religion/Arcana as a prerequisite for the Ritual Casting feat? The nature-based rituals are really fitting for his character.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Izzy posted:

Would I be able to use Nature instead of Religion/Arcana as a prerequisite for the Ritual Casting feat? The nature-based rituals are really fitting for his character.

Sure

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
Took Melee Training (Heavy Blade) and Weapon Expertise (Charisma) as bonus feats... or something like them. Action Surge is the l2 feat, Divine Counter is l2 utility. Retrained Guardian Light into Piercing Smite.

pre:
Keaira von Vesnt
Init: +1	HP: 34/34	Surges: 11/11:8
AC: 18	Fort: 15	Ref: 13	Will: 16
Insight +9; Intimidate +9; Religion +5; Perception: +4; Stealth: +1

Conditionals:
- +1 to saving throws, +3 vs. immobilize, daze, stun, or weaken.
- If granted an MBA, use Virtuous Strike (CHA vs. AC, 1W+3 radiant damage, +2 saves USONT)

[-] Divine Challenge: minor to mark. -2 to hit and 6 radiant for attacking not me
[ ] Action Point (+3 to attacks granted by AP)
[ ] Second Wind

[ ] Divine Mettle or Divine Strength (one Channel Divinity/encounter)
[ ] Piercing Smite
[ ] Divine Counter
[3] Lay on Hands
[ ] Glorious Charge

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
For the bonus Expertise feat, is that a basic +1/+2/+3 feat or a souped-up Essentials expertise feat with bonus effect? Won't change my choice either way, but I'd like my sheet to be accurate.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

TheArchimage posted:

For the bonus Expertise feat, is that a basic +1/+2/+3 feat or a souped-up Essentials expertise feat with bonus effect? Won't change my choice either way, but I'd like my sheet to be accurate.

I'm going to go ahead and make it "any expertise feat". (that you're otherwise qualified for, of course) It's still a feat tax if I insist on giving you the lovely version of the feat.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

These achievements are the best things ever.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
Took Melee Training (Charisma) and Spear Expertise for bonus feats. Took Hafted Defense for my level 2 feat and picked up Sympathetic Agony for my utility. Also, now that I don't need Dilettante for a melee basic I can hit with, developed the "wind" theme by retraining Virtuous Strike for Concussive Spike.

pre:
Llenewar		At-Will				Encounter			Daily
HP: 35/35 (tHP: -)	[-] Demoralizing Strike		[ ] Concussive Spike		[ ] Battleborn Acuity
Surges: 11/11 (v: 8)	[-] Energizing Strike		[ ] Ardent Outrage		[ ] Rebound (i)	
Speed: 6		[-] Minor Air Control		[ ] Bound (i)
Initiative: +1						[ ] Soothing Winds (i)
Action Point(s): 1					[ ] Sympathetic Agony
Power Points: 2/2					[ ] Action Point
							[ ] Second Wind	
							[ ] [ ] Ardent Surge

AC: 18		Fort: 16	Ref: 12		Will: 16

Melee Basic (Zephyr): +9 vs. AC, 1d10+2 damage (+4 damage on OAs, +1 damage on charge)
Ranged Basic (Mithril Handaxe): +4 vs. AC, 1d6+1 damage, range 10/20

Passive Perception: 10		Passive Insight: 17

Qualities
- Allies within 10 squares gain a +1 racial bonus to Diplomacy. (Group Diplomacy)
- I and allies within 5 squares of me gain +4 damage on OAs and +2 to Diplomacy and Intimidate. (Elation)
- When I use Second Wind, one ally within my Mantle can use Second Wind as a free action. (Wind of Sympathy)
- Ignore difficult terrain when charging. (Zephyr)
- When an ally within 2 squares of me shifts, they may shift an additional square. (Herald of Zephyr)

Conditionals
- When bloodied by an attack, I will use Ardent Outrage as No Action; all enemies within 5 grant CA USoMNT.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

OzCavalier posted:

I nominate "Prayer of the Refugee" by Rise Against for the party/campaign theme song.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Hey do you guys hang out on IRC anywhere? I haven't seen anyone in #reddawn the couple of times I've checked it

VVV I tend to pop onto #blingdenstone after work most days, that's the other PbP I'm in right now.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 25, 2014

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
I'm in #redhandofdoom sometimes but SA channels are notoriously slow-moving, so I often don't bother.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I've been following this game and cursing that I didn't learn about it while the recruiting period was going on. If anyone winds up catching the LP Curse, I'll be more than happy to jump in with something. You guys are really fascinating!

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Hey, so I'm finally actually leveling up, but I'm rather confused about the bonus feat options you've given us. Could you give me a rundown on what that actually means? Especially since I don't really use weapons.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Hey, so I'm finally actually leveling up, but I'm rather confused about the bonus feat options you've given us. Could you give me a rundown on what that actually means? Especially since I don't really use weapons.

The expertise feat is any feat named "expertise" that gives you a scaling bonus to attack. There is a number of feats for different implements, so whatever implement you plan to use should be the expertise feat you take.

The training feats let you use your primary stat bonus for basic attacks. there's one for every stat. I'm not as familiar with 4th edition from the player standpoint so if anyone wants to explain how the bonus works for these please by all means. I think you get half the bonus to damage and the rest works like a stat specific weapon finesse?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Gonna update tomorrow (or late this evening, ideally) for everyone who has posted, we don't have to synch this one up since it's a decentralized plot but I've had a lazy weekend :3

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The "Melee Training" feat covers Basic Attacks.

i.e. Nadya uses Wisdom for her Avenger Powers and doesn't actually need to take Melee Training to be effective with them. She can always use an At-Will that is keyed off of her Wisdom for it's +Attack/+Damage.

So why take Melee Training? Because she can key her Wisdom to her MBA(Melee Basic Attacks) and anytime she would take an attack of opportunity against somebody who moves past her or she is granted an extra MBA by an allied power she can make that MBA with her Wisdom instead of her abyssmal Strength.

It's honestly not a mandatory power in 4e(whereas Implement/Weapon Expertise is universally so) but Mirthless has made it free so w/e.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Okay, so basically, I'd pick "Staff Expertise" and get a bonus to melee and implement-based attacks with staves at +1/2/3, scaling with tier, then I'd take Melee Training and use my Wisdom modifier as my melee attack bonus, and half of it as a damage bonus?

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
That's right.

If you use both a weapon and an implement, take Versatile Expertise to do both with one feat. But Staff Expertise covers the use of staves to hit people and to channel magic, so if that the implement you use, that's the only feat you need.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
As per Essentials, Staff Expertise also does this: "when you make a ranged attack or an area attack with a staff as an implement, you don't provoke opportunity attacks for doing so. When you make a melee weapon attack with a staff, the weapon's reach for that attack increases by 1."

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Well that ain't half bad, neither.

Here's the leveled up Kelda. Let me know if I made any horrific mistakes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_oNtEKFj9FPa0NXaUdIaUt5eFU/view?usp=sharing

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 10, 2014

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I don't have permission to view the new sheet.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

See? Horrific mistakes. That updated link should be better.

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 28, 2014

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
If you're wearing light armor or no armor, you should be able to add the higher of your INT mod or DEX mod to your AC (I don't think you're the only person who missed that, IIRC)
Not sure where the +1 "class" bonus to AC is coming from, nor the 9 surges per day..?

Also, I don't know which levels the different Inherent Bonuses kick in at, so if anyone can post that info, that'd be handy.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Oh, I think the class bonus is there because I manually added 1/2 my level and assumed it rounded up at level 1 (I play a lot of games where it does.) I'll clip that, since now that I'm level 2, the character sheet automatically did that for me. And properly.

The 9 surges are because Witches get 6+Con (which is +1), and then I guess I also added the Con+1/2 lvl to it. Which I take it is very wrong. Am I only supposed to use the mod, or the mod+1/2 level?

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
It's CON mod+6.

Basically, (unless specifically stated) half-level is only ever added to defenses and d20 rolls (such as attacks, skill checks, ability checks, initiative)

• Locked thread