Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BASF
Jun 16, 2011

by Ralp
the what?...oh. actually I don't own a tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butthead
May 31, 2011

BASF posted:

the what?...oh. actually I don't own a tv.

People in India don't own TVs. They do gangrapes instead.

You are a gangrapist.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
got is low fantasy ok

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Wayside Bazaar posted:

i've never watched it and probably never will, people i know are shocked by this but

i've never watched it but i might at some point. people i know are generally unfazed by this information

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Stoic Commie posted:

got is low fantasy ok
What is high fantasy

Benedick Cuckold posted:

i've never watched it but i might at some point. people i know are generally unfazed by this information

I tried to watch it and after a couple episodes decided that it wasn't my thing

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Nope. Doesn't suck, OP is dumb.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

mookface posted:

What is high fantasy

You need a weed wizard for it to be high fantasy.

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
That twink break dancer sure got loving owned.

Pariah Rex
May 31, 2011

If I help you now it sets a bad example to my fans.
I didn't know poo poo about game of thrones but everyone refuses to shut up about it. It's seriously like the most talked about thing on the entire internet, and everyone I know or meet constantly raves about it. I don't give a poo poo about this loving dragons and shirtless male models vs midget show. Why is this show suddenly the zenith of all culture?

Also anyone who thinks that Lost was clever is a loving simpleton.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
It's pretty much the next Lost in that a few years after it's over it's fans will become aware of the obvious faults of the show.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Pariah Rex posted:

I didn't know poo poo about game of thrones but everyone refuses to shut up about it. It's seriously like the most talked about thing on the entire internet, and everyone I know or meet constantly raves about it. I don't give a poo poo about this loving dragons and shirtless male models vs midget show. Why is this show suddenly the zenith of all culture?

Also anyone who thinks that Lost was clever is a loving simpleton.

agreed. now i know how people who didn't watch breaking bad must have felt.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
best part about the show is strong belwas

oh wait

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Hello OP, fishing for replies. Here is one.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

more like game of BONES

because everyone in the show dies and when a human dies they get resurrected as a skeleton

so it's the Game of Bones

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Wait wait, I meant Game of Trombones - like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj7YNeutcxM

Totally what I meant, sorry

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Gaunab posted:

GoT is like lord of the rings for autistic people

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

no this is wrong

lotr is lotr for autistic people

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

also there's fantasy that functions significantly better as literature than lord of the rings (not that that's necessarily saying much)

lotr's narrative is mostly just a vehicle for tolkien's language and mythology poo poo

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pariah Rex posted:

"why is this show with ludicrously attractive people of both genders and also gratuitous violence incredibly popular?"

edit: the best thing about the LotR movies and the subsequent fantasy boom is watching grumpy-rear end goons recoil in horror as nerd poo poo continues to take over popular culture

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

oh i just assumed this was a show about medieval musical chairs but if there's tits and midgets and dragons I might have to give it a go

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
two of my female coworkers had a discussion about eunuchs and what being a eunuch meant and what parts of their junk would actually be missing and i guess it was about this show?

kinda dumb honestly

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

also there's fantasy that functions significantly better as literature than lord of the rings (not that that's necessarily saying much)

lotr's narrative is mostly just a vehicle for tolkien's language and mythology poo poo

you talking gene wolfe? or you counting that more as sci fi? Sci fi has lovely tropes too though but it's got far more potential to seriously be considered literature than loving fantasy. Fantasy loving sucks.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
gene wolfe is actually interesting as a writer too though. my problem wit tolkein is the same guuuuuurrrrrm. Great world-building, great lore. a whole shitload of honest effort into making something compelling that is so loving boring to read that i give not a single gently caress about.... anything.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Wayside Bazaar posted:

i've never watched it and probably never will, people i know are shocked by this but

you hang out with lovely people

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"why is this show with ludicrously attractive people of both genders and also gratuitous violence incredibly popular?"

edit: the best thing about the LotR movies and the subsequent fantasy boom is watching grumpy-rear end goons recoil in horror as nerd poo poo continues to take over popular culture

They would never cancel Game of Thrones, it's a crossover hit. It's not just for fantasy enthusiasts; they tell human stories in a fantasy world,Christ.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Frostwerks posted:

gene wolfe is actually interesting as a writer too though. my problem wit tolkein is the same guuuuuurrrrrm. Great world-building, great lore. a whole shitload of honest effort into making something compelling that is so loving boring to read that i give not a single gently caress about.... anything.

It's psychological. It's not long and boring, it's magnified and epic.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

mookface posted:

What is high fantasy
High fantasy is orcs and wizards and medieval and D&D and low fantasy is stuff like Groundhog Day, Supernatural, Buffy: The Vampire Slayer, True Blood

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

http://www.theonion.com/video/trekkies-bash-new-star-trek-film-as-fun-watchable,14333/

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Tweet Me Balls posted:

oh i just assumed this was a show about medieval musical chairs but if there's tits and midgets and dragons I might have to give it a go

When you say it like that it sounds cool but it's mainly just faux medieval politics

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
whenever my friends think I'm into soap operas and trick me into watching i usually zone out and wait to see tits and guess the relation of the people loving

Nog
May 15, 2006

i have decided to join the ranks of the great fantasy writers. LotR was based on tolkein's experiences in WW1, GoT is based on the war of the roses.

my sword-n-sorcery my little poly slashfic will be based on the rwandan genocide

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Frostwerks posted:

you talking gene wolfe? or you counting that more as sci fi? Sci fi has lovely tropes too though but it's got far more potential to seriously be considered literature than loving fantasy. Fantasy loving sucks.

gene wolfe if you want command of language, ursula leguin or china mieville if you want political consciousness (mieville is inconsistent because at his worst he's like a marginally less lovely neil gaiman but at his best you get stuff like embassytown or iron council), roger zelazny or michael moorcock if you want to see someone take the basic forms and assumptions of pulp paperback fantasy and do clever things with it

basically if you approach literature as the pursuit of form and technique then yes, fantasy isn't worth your time. there's no intrinsic reason it couldn't do those things but the people who are attracted to writing fantasy have neither the inclination nor the ability and it creates an endless feedback loop.

but if you're a great big nerd like me and would like to see the genre de-ghettoize itself some day the first baby step is making it not retarded on a thematic and sociopolitical level, which is why i recommend stuff like the above whenever i get the chance

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

ripped0ff posted:

i have decided to join the ranks of the great fantasy writers. LotR was based on tolkein's experiences in WW1, GoT is based on the war of the roses.

my sword-n-sorcery my little poly slashfic will be based on the rwandan genocide

Lancaster:Lanisster , York:Stark. :aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa:

Wow, did he gently caress up that adaptation hard. Man.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

gene wolfe if you want command of language, ursula leguin or china mieville if you want political consciousness (mieville is inconsistent because at his worst he's like a marginally less lovely neil gaiman but at his best you get stuff like embassytown or iron council), roger zelazny or michael moorcock if you want to see someone take the basic forms and assumptions of pulp paperback fantasy and do clever things with it

basically if you approach literature as the pursuit of form and technique then yes, fantasy isn't worth your time. there's no intrinsic reason it couldn't do those things but the people who are attracted to writing fantasy have neither the inclination nor the ability and it creates an endless feedback loop.

but if you're a great big nerd like me and would like to see the genre de-ghettoize itself some day the first baby step is making it not retarded on a thematic and sociopolitical level, which is why i recommend stuff like the above whenever i get the chance

You know if you wanted real books that actually matter you could have read from a list of literally hundreds of people whose works are so prized in the English language they have remained in the zeitgeist for hundreds of years. I guess you need dragons and poo poo to keep you interested in a topic long enough for that though. I get where the ADD thing comes from now.

Hobohemian fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jun 7, 2014

tensac
Jun 9, 2011

is it anything?
a: that winter guys sure comes a lot
b: winter never comes
3: daners tareagen (fire) & jon snoe (ice) go to karaoke (a song)
bonus stage! : the final boss is poo poo herself???

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
The Mountain kills the Viper.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Hobohemian posted:

You know if you wanted real books that actually matter you could have read from a list of literally hundreds of people whose works are so prized in the English language they have remained in the zeitgeist for hundreds of years. I guess you need dragons and poo poo to keep you interested in a topic long enough for that though. I get where the ADD thing comes from now.

you're a sad, hateful little man

and i majored in english so this is especially lol in that light

Butthead
May 31, 2011

redshirt posted:

The Mountain kills the Viper.

I believe they killed each other. So how does that make the midget man guilty?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

If you want cheesy entertaining pulp it's tough to beat the Conan the barbarian stories

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Butthead posted:

I believe they killed each other. So how does that make the midget man guilty?

The Mountain sort of lives.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

also all prose is sloppy and degenerate compared to the precise language of poetry so you might as well read pulp :toot:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

American Tolkien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i would rank tolkien as somewhat higher up than most fantasy types give him credit for, but that's a good list. i also like tim powers and caitlin kiernan.

• Locked thread