Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Disconnecticus posted:

Like it or not incestuous siblings, naked whore tits and wisecracking dwarfs are live wires in the uncultured zeitgeist and it all tracks back to Dr. Tolkien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Game of Thrones is deservedly popular because it's a gripping story with vividly drawn characters :unsmigghh:

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The number of actually significant characters who die isn't that much tbh with you. One principal character dies in the first book, most of the series' reputation comes from that. Otherwise it's usually characters who are important to the political scene but not the focus of their own chapters.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Frostwerks posted:

what "causes" her, btw? i need to know. caint be the white supremacists

Remember ages ago, The Hound and Arya(?) run into the Brotherhood Without Banners and we learn Beric Dundarion (the dude Ned sent to catch The Mountain way back) got his rear end got killed, but that Red Priest dude (so he's part of the same dudes as the Red Lady who hangs out with Stannis) kept bringing him back to life? Red Priest Dude finds Caitlin Stark's body in the dumpster behind Frey Towers, so there you go.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I think it's really funny everybody hates the girly sister who acts like a normal 15 year old and likes the goony one who enjoys killing people.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I like Game of Thrones but strongly dislike World of Warcraft and indeed, all MMOs. Checkmate, pal :smug:

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

alextide32 posted:

But do you enjoy collecting swords and knight armor or any other medieval collectables?
Also do you live in a castle?

I have a BA in medieval studies and am currently working on a term paper about the disenfranchisement of free peasants in twelfth century Catalonia, but I don't do SCA or LARP or collect any costumes and replicas and poo poo.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I like Jon Snow the character but Jesus Christ Kit Harrison, could you maybe act pleased to be playing an action hero in a popular TV show for like 5 seconds

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Nobody ever uses the cool classic-style dragons where they're just big lovely lizards that can't fly, crawl on their bellies and fart/belch poisonous gas

Like this right here:

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
He's good looking, I just think it's funny he's not even acting when he plays John Snow, he just looks like someone just crapped in his wheaties 24/7.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I deeply felt the pathos when Jon learned of the demise of Robb, who he'd always thought of as his true brother, and stared pensively at his shoes for like four seconds.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Okay who even is second chick from right, I seriously don't recognize her

It's Danaerys isn't it, godammit TWO SECONDS AFTER I FINALLY ASK

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Spatula City posted:

GoT/ASOIAF isn't terrible, but people are bothered by how relentlessly Martin subverts the Hero's Journey bullshit. As of A Dance With Dragons, every single heroic arc has been shat on save for Dany's, maybe. Quentyn's story is the whole series in a nutshell.
The series is entirely meant to poop on everyone's ideas of how high fantasy should go. Martin isn't saying "gently caress you" necessarily, but he is aggressively questioning why anyone would want to live in a fantasy world with knights and kings and magic and dragons. People die horribly because that's what would happen. And the ones that don't die get morally or emotionally compromised.
also it's got some pretty good commentary on how people in power don't give a poo poo about the powerless, revenge is pointless, and religions are insane.
the right way to watch the show is to expect horrible things to happen to everyone, and then be pleasantly surprised when something good happens for someone on rare occasions.

there is no actual way Jon Snow is dead :ssh:

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Hobohemian posted:

Everyone's conception of high fantasy is, "What the gently caress is high fantasy?" .

I always figured it was all about tone. Lord of the Rings is "high" fantasy because it's got clear-cut good versus evil, homilies about hope and friendship and a mythic/legendary kind of feel. Game of Thrones is low fantasy because it's just about assholes killing each other over bullshit.

otoh this means The Illiad is low fantasy so what the gently caress do I know.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

D1Sergo posted:

edit: What if a mysterious stranger in a bar in modern day Kentucky is actually Zeus in retirement and he gives me his Lightning Bolt stick on a drunken bet? And then I get eaten by some lust goddess' vagina?

I believe this is "urban" fantasy, even if it takes place entirely in the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Ruggan posted:

got is really about one handed masturbation while thinking about manly women choking you off

I'm good with this description

• Locked thread