Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

mookface posted:

And this is there key to Costco success

Costco really isn't about SAVING, so much as it is getting higher quality products for the same price as "regular" quality stuff. Case in point, Costco regularly sells big jars of Carnegie Deli Kosher Dill pickles for like $5. There's 100 pickle spears in there, and they're loving delicious. WAY better than the Claussen pickles which are $5 for a jar with 25 spears in it. Which lets you realize it's OK to eat 15 pickles in a day because those bitches are like 5 calories a piece, drat tasty, and satisfy your craving for "a snack".

gently caress. THA. HATERS.

:page3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Nostrum posted:

Costco really isn't about SAVING, so much as it is getting higher quality products for the same price as "regular" quality stuff.

This.

But also tho for reals their food-court owns harrrrrrrrrrddddd.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
i like the chicken bakes

those are pretty bomb

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
two reasons i don't pay to be a member and shop there

1) no express lanes

2) only takes american express

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Maldoror posted:

two reasons i don't pay to be a member and shop there

1) no express lanes

2) only takes american express

lol @ this scrub who doesn't have enough money in his/her/xer bank account to realize that costco accepts all debit cards, but only takes amex credit

also every lane there is an express lane because there's a per/xerson there who gets paid $26/hr to efficiently herd the cattle/customers into the most appropriate lane

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Costco always seems to have those weird branded things that are similar to things but kinda off. Like Frooty Rings or Frost Gran

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nostrum posted:

Costco really isn't about SAVING, so much as it is getting higher quality products for the same price as "regular" quality stuff. Case in point, Costco regularly sells big jars of Carnegie Deli Kosher Dill pickles for like $5. There's 100 pickle spears in there, and they're loving delicious. WAY better than the Claussen pickles which are $5 for a jar with 25 spears in it. Which lets you realize it's OK to eat 15 pickles in a day because those bitches are like 5 calories a piece, drat tasty, and satisfy your craving for "a snack".

Ok, but buying in bulk inherently fosters over eating and waste. You should meal plan a few days and advance and purchase accordingly. Granted I have a deli, produce merchant, and butcher which are local and cheaper than a supermarket. Not everyone has that. I understand that.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Edgar posted:

Lucky brand jeans for 30 bucks.

I have a few and keep blowing the crotch out

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

mookface posted:

Ok, but buying in bulk inherently fosters over eating and waste. You should meal plan a few days and advance and purchase accordingly. Granted I have a deli, produce merchant, and butcher which are local and cheaper than a supermarket. Not everyone has that. I understand that.

Ok but not everything there is "in bulk". It's not like a 4 pack of steaks or 2 whole chickens is the same as a 12 year supply of mayonnaise. And yeah, you're right, if you have a local butcher or fish monger, or whatever, definitely take advantage of that. In my case, I have a local butcher that can't touch Costco's prices on primals like NY strip or standing rib roasts; he just doesn't have the buying power to compete. His meat is really good, don't get me wrong, but it's still cheaper to go to Costco and get a 4 pack of rib eyes where 3 of them are beautiful and 1 ends up being fajita meat. Then again, I can't get goose or beef tongue or chicken backs at Costco, so yeah, you gotta use your brain.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Nostrum posted:

You can also generally find higher quality products for cheaper than you would otherwise, because the only other places they are stocked are more high end stores that charge a premium. Case in point, I always buy 1-2 packs of Wild Planet brand canned tuna from Costco whenever I go. Beyond being the only sustainably caught canned tuna I can find outside of Whole Paycheck Foods, it's loving delicious and blows every other tuna brand I've tried out of the water. Most places sell it for $4-5 a can. Costco sells six packs for $14; $10 sometimes when they're on sale. Same thing with Amy's Soup, San Pellegrino, and those giant bins of fruit they constantly stock.

So yeah, Costco is pretty great.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Sydin posted:

You can also generally find higher quality products for cheaper than you would otherwise, because the only other places they are stocked are more high end stores that charge a premium. Case in point, I always buy 1-2 packs of Wild Planet brand canned tuna from Costco whenever I go. Beyond being the only sustainably caught canned tuna I can find outside of Whole Paycheck Foods, it's loving delicious and blows every other tuna brand I've tried out of the water. Most places sell it for $4-5 a can. Costco sells six packs for $14; $10 sometimes when they're on sale. Same thing with Amy's Soup, San Pellegrino, and those giant bins of fruit they constantly stock.

So yeah, Costco is pretty great.

You're not joking. The Costco brand chicken stock (which is useful in, oh, I dunno, almost every recipe across almost every cultural cuisine ever) is like $8 for a 6-quart pack. The Costco brand is organic, free-range, and contains only whole chicken, vegetables, salt, and spices. Swanson's stock has like 400mg/serving more of sodium and the ingredients includes the ever-nebulous "seasoning".

Also they sell this bitchin' brand of canned, whole tomatoes which I use to make sauce for my pizzas and everything else involving tomato sauce. I dunno, they are kind of OK, I guess:

Every single molecule of matter in that pizza was purchased at Costco.

The loving camera that took that picture? It was purchased at Costco.

Costco. loving. Owns.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
My rule for Costco is to never buy anything perishable. As long as you have the space to store a pallet of toilet paper and an 18 gallon jar of garlic powder it is really the best thing to do.

I break that rule for their premade ceasar salads / sammich boxes. Their take and bake macaroni and cheese is soooo legit if you feel to lazy to cook that day.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Nostrum posted:

lol @ this scrub who doesn't have enough money in his/her/xer bank account to realize that costco accepts all debit cards, but only takes amex credit

also every lane there is an express lane because there's a per/xerson there who gets paid $26/hr to efficiently herd the cattle/customers into the most appropriate lane

I love that sometimes there are individuals who will use a hand scanner on your items long before your line gets to the register. Not to mention having one person ringing up stuff as another reloads the cart.
gently caress the haters, they have checkout down pat.

edit: Kirkland chocolate covered macadamia nuts :swoon:

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

KirbyKhan posted:

My rule for Costco is to never buy anything perishable.

Go down the kitchen isle and get yourself a seal-a-meal. We buy our meat in bulk there (like the whole filet that they will cut to your choice of size) and seal individual meal amounts then freeze.

pro-tip: seal pork loin and tenderloin with marinade then freeze.

Allantois
May 18, 2006
Aint nuttin but a RadioSkank
Kirkland brand smoked pulled pork, precooked and vacuum sealed.
You could make it yourself with a $400 smoker and 14 hours after months of perfecting your technique, but wtf?

The pulled pork is practically the best I've ever had, always gets rave reviews when I serve it to guests for dinner, and it takes like 30 minutes to heat up and you're good to go. Cheap too.

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011
Hot dog bigger than my cock for $1.50 and it comes with a soda. It's the best deal on the planet.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Allantois posted:

Kirkland brand smoked pulled pork, precooked and vacuum sealed.
You could make it yourself with a $400 smoker and 14 hours after months of perfecting your technique, but wtf?

The pulled pork is practically the best I've ever had, always gets rave reviews when I serve it to guests for dinner, and it takes like 30 minutes to heat up and you're good to go. Cheap too.

In all fairness, all you need is a charcoal grill with a cover, hickory chips and rub. If you cannot do a pulled pork without loving it up (basically you set it and forget it, low and slow) then you are a retard

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

matrocious posted:

Hot dog bigger than my cock for $1.50 and it comes with a soda. It's the best deal on the planet.

they have lil' smokeys at costo? cool

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Fog Tripper posted:

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
Costco costs mo'*

*more

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

rice

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
We buy stuff that is on sale at Costco. We save a ton of money on diapers, baby wipes, and toilet products. Frozen food, mega good deals. Wine and beer? Get it at Costco. Hard liquor? Costco. Generally if its something that is multi use then you should get it at Costco. Things you will pay extra for (but still get great quality!) are things like bread, prepared meals, snack items, and some of the other things that aren't on sale.

Costco owns and their company treats their employees well.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Paper products, anything u can freeze, non persiahable canned goods, fuckin HOT SAUCE cuz even though they don't have gods true basic sauce Texas Pete you can still get jugs of poo poo to cook with.

Contact solution cuz you can pay 20 bux for two gigantic clearcare bottles plus two cases and a travel size

Also buy anything you want there, beer isn't much cheaper but who gives a poo poo it is a pleasure just to go and see happy employees and good prices, costco fuckin owns

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jastiger posted:

We buy stuff that is on sale at Costco. We save a ton of money on diapers, baby wipes, and toilet products. Frozen food, mega good deals. Wine and beer? Get it at Costco. Hard liquor? Costco. Generally if its something that is multi use then you should get it at Costco. Things you will pay extra for (but still get great quality!) are things like bread, prepared meals, snack items, and some of the other things that aren't on sale.

Costco owns and their company treats their employees well.
Its true I worked for them for a summer as a teenager and they were decent aside from the weird and cultish mentality

Korthal
May 26, 2011

I'm in the North East, so we only have BJ's. Although they're building a Costco here soon.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
i like costco for cleaning supplies & things like paper towels and toilet paper.

it's also good for frozen veggies imho

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

unlimited shrimp posted:

i like costco for cleaning supplies & things like paper towels and toilet paper.
yeah this is good too

also for meat because you can get like 3 roasts' worthof meat and just freeze most of it

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
3 pages and no one posted this yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8zNsUTWsOc

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Nostrum posted:

WAY better than the Claussen pickles which are $5 for a jar with 25 spears in it. Which lets you realize it's OK to eat 15 pickles in a day because those bitches are like 5 calories a piece, drat tasty, and satisfy your craving for "a snack".

Why are you not dipping them in mayo.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
some things are good deals at costco but some things aren't

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
Gas its always cheaper than any other gas station

Its odd though they don't take cash for gas and at the food court they only take cash

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
condoms

Boner Medicine
Feb 1, 2014

serious norman posted:

i dont care how much it actually costs as long as it feels that im saving

:feelsgood:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Kirkland water is great.

They don't put up aisles food labels on purpose, and they make like 60% of their sales on impulse buy. I felt like an idiot when I asked our new store when they are putting them up.

There is a great video/show on their business model and how they grew. :effort: for searching for it

Also, I heard Kirkland vodka is like grey goose or something.

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011

Fog Tripper posted:

they do but they come in a bag because they're small and cost way more than $1.50 and DO NOT come with a soda. #lifetips

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I've got a membership and all, they have way better quality poo poo than like Sams, but I find it difficult to shop there as a single dude. I always end up coming away from there with enough of some individual item to feed a family of 18 for a month. I once got this ridiculously large jar of loving pickles and they were delish and way cheaper than a similar amount of lovely pickles at a normal supermarket, but I had that jar for like six months. That's hosed up.

Also something about the place just sets off alarms. It's this giant cavern full of pretty decent garbage to spend your money on. We all gotta buy garbage somewhere, but I find the entire idea and utilitarian vibe somewhat distasteful; bordering on repugnant.

Then again I have PTSD from having the trashiest wal-mart in the world as my neighborhood grocery store (Kissimmee, FL). It was wall to wall with grotesquely fat Swamp People and tourists 24/7, so my distaste for similar institutions might be an extension of that living nightmare I've never quite woken from.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
I got a gigantic bag of whey protein powder there one time. That poo poo was like $75 and lasted me over a year.

Edit: it's also a great place to get a cellphone because their 90 day no-questions return policy still applies, and that's way better than anything the corporate stores will offer you.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
The last time I went to Costco I did the math on the things I buy compared to other places in town. I found out there was no savings except on beer. Then I considered the cost of membership, mile walk through the store, crowded parking lot and massive check out lines and found it wasn't worth it.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just got 25 pounds f rice and 12 pounds of vegetables. Can't believe the savings

Abused my dad's membership

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Leonard Ghostal posted:

Dog boners and food pills

Also the French onion soup cylinders are really good

• Locked thread