Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I'm looking for a particular game. I want a war-game about either the Eastern Front in WWII or about a hypothetical war between the Soviet Union and the United States in the 50s-60s. It will preferably be a tabletop miniature war-game with or without hexes. Could you recommend me a game? Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

I'm looking for a particular game. I want a war-game about either the Eastern Front in WWII or about a hypothetical war between the Soviet Union and the United States in the 50s-60s. It will preferably be a tabletop miniature war-game with or without hexes. Could you recommend me a game? Thanks!

Flames of War? Bolt Action? Cold War Commander?
What scale (both models and battles) and complexity do you want?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Pierzak posted:

Flames of War? Bolt Action? Cold War Commander?
What scale (both models and battles) and complexity do you want?

Hmm. I'd like large scale battles (size of Stalingrad and Leningrad), with regular, Warhammer sized models. I'd like mid to high complexity, not something that's so esoteric that no one will ever play it, but hard enough that I can get a nice simulation going.

On that thought, could you recommend a non-model war-game, preferably hex-based with the same complexity?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I know pretty much nothing about tabletop wargaming outside of 40k, but from what I understand based solely on observations and my FLGS, Flames of War seems to be the current biggest WW2-and-up tabletop historical. Your chances of finding what you want (and people to play it with you) are probably best there.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Bolt Action is the only popular 28mm scale WW2 game I know of, but if you're willing to try 14mm, Flames of War is your best bet for larger battles that won't take forever to find an opponent.

As for non-miniature wargames, you want this thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3564278

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

And you'll probably find the miniature game of your dreams by posting in the historical miniature gaming thread.

• Locked thread