Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

So according to the E3 vid, Homefront: The Revolution (now under Crytek, rather than whoever made the poorly-received original) will allow weapon mods, like many other shooters. What makes it something to post in this thread, though, is that it's not done through a menu like other games; it's done right in-game, and you can see your character pull out old parts and swap the new parts on. As a huge sucker for pointless-but-cool tacticlol immersion, I had to grin when I saw that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tujh2fnATK4&t=328s

That's pretty much just stolen from their Crysis series, which could do the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution and there was one little (and probably immediately obvious to fans of the original game) thing that I liked. At the start of Human Revolution it's immediately obvious that the main character, whose first name is Adam, is the mysterious Subject X or whoever that his girlfriend studied for her revolutionary science thing and refuses to talk about with him. So the name Adam for the guy who's ushering in a new era of humanity is just a bit of cheap symbolism, right? Yes, but: the main character of Deus Ex was called JC Denton. And Human Revolution is a prequel, so Adam is kind of a perfect name for them to use as a callback.

It's dumb but it made me smile.

2house2fly has a new favorite as of 03:39 on Jun 12, 2014

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

muscles like this? posted:

That's pretty much just stolen from their Crysis series, which could do the same thing.

I knew I had done that in some other game. Christ what a forgettable series Crysis turned out to be.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

2house2fly posted:

I'm playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution and there was one little (and probably immediately obvious to fans of the original game) thing that I liked. At the start of Human Revolution it's immediately obvious that the main character, whose first name is Adam, is the mysterious Subject X or whoever that his girlfriend studied for her revolutionary science thing and refuses to talk about with him. So the name Adam for the guy who's ushering in a new era of humanity is just a bit of cheap symbolism, right? Yes, but: the main character of Deus Ex was called JC Denton. And Human Revolution is a prequel, so Adam is kind of a perfect name for them to use as a callback.

"Jesus Christ, Denton!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

2house2fly posted:

The Subject X stuff is kind of weird because AFAIK they never actually come out and state that its Adam and that his whole thing is that he was genetically engineered to be the perfect recipient for augmentation.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I haven't finished the game yet but I kind of hope that's the case; there's enough hints at it that a big reveal would feel kind of lame.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

A couple things I liked about Dx:HR were the little touches they added to Adam's apartment that show hints of his personality. He's got little more than whiskey and cereal in the kitchen, an assault rifle in every room, a secret stash of the aug medicine, a half-smoked pack of cigs on his desk, and a desk where he's been building clocks to practice his motor control. Not to mention the mirror, complete with a sticky note to bitch at the manager again for not replacing it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I could grow to like this trend of sub-par IPs going to other companies and becoming something better. Far Cry went to Ubisoft and became something I consider much more interesting, and Crytek is doing the same thing with Homefront.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

I knew I had done that in some other game. Christ what a forgettable series Crysis turned out to be.

The original Crysis was quite a bit of fun, as long as you accepted that it was just a dumb, pretty shooter that was less constricting than other games on the market. Then for the sequel they decided that all this open environment stuff isn't worth it and turned it into a corridor shooter. :downs: By the sounds of it Homefront 2 is shaping up to be pretty non-linear, so hopefully they recapture the original Crysis in that regard.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

They went back to open environments with Crysis 3, but that game was too short. I honestly wound up liking Crysis 2 the best because, despite losing everything unique about Crysis 1, was the most well-done end to end. It's not that surprising that a series with "good graphics" as its only claim to fame was forgotten, even though Crysis 3 is still a top 3 most graphically advanced game available, if not still the best.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

I let my friend play Dark Souls for his first time today. Seeing him get brutally owned by the Asylum Demon was hilarious, and is my current favorite little thing in games.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
In Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions, during the level where you're up against Kraven the Hunter, there's one section where you have to avoid being shot by Kraven (basically, don't stay in the middle of the screen for too long because the camera is literally looking through Kraven's crosshairs) while battling his various thugs like usual. The Little Thing about this is that Spider-Man will actually call Kraven out if he shoots one of his own minions because they happen to be in the way when he takes a shot.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

More from Deus Ex: HR: at some point there's a list of usernames and logins that are all famous science-fiction writers, and if you check a particular computer, you find out someone's employing Kevin Mitnick as a hacker.

Also, you'll know this if you beat the second boss: Newsanchor Eliza Cassan turns out to be an AI. ELIZA is one of the first examples of chat bots.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

My Lovely Horse posted:

More from Deus Ex: HR: at some point there's a list of usernames and logins that are all famous science-fiction writers, and if you check a particular computer, you find out someone's employing Kevin Mitnick as a hacker.

Also, you'll know this if you beat the second boss: Newsanchor Eliza Cassan turns out to be an AI. ELIZA is one of the first examples of chat bots.

Less subtly, you go looking for her in Room 404.

That whole part of the plot was always weird for me because I just assumed she was an AI from the word go; the big not-entirely-canonical cinematic trailer didn't spell it out, but she seemed more obviously stiff and robotic in that. Not to mention that computer-generated news anchors go hand-in-hand with cyberpunk in my mind, in part thanks to Batman Beyond.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

Cannot believe I missed that.

There's an e-mail you can read where somebody says something like "I've never even seen Eliza in person" and I pretty much could guess what was up then. Even though she projects holograms and can appear to people in person all day long if she wants I guess?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

John Murdoch posted:

You also later meet up with her in room 802-11. In the commentary the developers talk about how all the dumb IP address jokes make Eliza's super obvious twist even more obvious and how they had to fight to keep them because they figured if you were computer literate enough to get the jokes then you had already figured out the twist.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

2house2fly posted:

I haven't finished the game yet but I kind of hope that's the case; there's enough hints at it that a big reveal would feel kind of lame.

Yeah, it gets elaborated on in a (fairly involved) side quest but it's never treated as some sort of shocking revelation.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, it gets elaborated on in a (fairly involved) side quest but it's never treated as some sort of shocking revelation.

I'm surprised it was supposed to be a secret. I think I figured it out before the opening sequence was done. It just seemed so blatantly obvious.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

More from Deus Ex: HR: at some point there's a list of usernames and logins that are all famous science-fiction writers, and if you check a particular computer, you find out someone's employing Kevin Mitnick as a hacker.[/spoiler]

As far as login jokes go, I liked one I found in the facility whereMeganwas being held. One of the employees with a very hispanic name had requested a password change and the IT dude set it to techsmex. No matter how punk your cyber is, there will always be puns.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

My Lovely Horse posted:

There's an e-mail you can read where somebody says something like "I've never even seen Eliza in person" and I pretty much could guess what was up then. Even though she projects holograms and can appear to people in person all day long if she wants I guess?
She probably only does that when absolutely necessary since there would always be the risk that someone would realise she was a hologram and want to know why.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I love that Jensen hates at least one of his coworkers. In fact, the writers did a good job of making the Sarif employees act like they've known each other for a while.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

grittyreboot posted:

I love that Jensen hates at least one of his coworkers. In fact, the writers did a good job of making the Sarif employees act like they've known each other for a while.

I love that Sairf Industries has a smokers section outside by the helipad. And how the people who smoke are ALWAYS there.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
To add to the Deus Ex: HR chat, I loved the tech guy's office. Posters of motorbikes, CRT monitors stacked to make a bridge - Obviously small touches, but it's the small touches that really set up someone as a developed character.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

To add to the Deus Ex: HR chat, I loved the tech guy's office. Posters of motorbikes, CRT monitors stacked to make a bridge - Obviously small touches, but it's the small touches that really set up someone as a developed character.

I also loved how the tech guy had the largest single person office & Jensen had a tiny lovely office.
tech guy controlled the flooring database.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Playing Syndicate right now (it's $10 on Origin) and there's a part early on where you rush into a nightclub. The civilians take a second to realize that you're running around with an assault rifle and then freak out. What's cool is that it only happens to the ones that immediately see you. I turned to my left and pointed the barrel of my rifle to another person after freaking out everyone in front of me and the person had the same delay before her reaction.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

And the token future Final Fantasy poster.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pentyne posted:

Christ, I never thought I'd see that joke made again.

In the Strong Bad adventure games, if you click on something while one of the characters is talking in the background, Strong Bad cuts em off with "No one cares." or "Shut up." or something along those lines. It's pretty much the perfect way to solve that issue in a way that makes sense with Strong Bad's character.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I love how the camera pulls back a bit and re-adjusts itself when you're fighting a world boss, really gives that sense of scale and that you're fighting something the size of a building.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

pentyne posted:

XXVII is really drat optimistic. They'd have to make one a year. Should have been... well pretty much any Ubisoft game.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

pentyne posted:

I love in the commentary for the game when they talk about how much bullshit they had to go through to get Square-Enix to sign off on that one little gag.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I love in the commentary for the game when they talk about how much bullshit they had to go through to get Square-Enix to sign off on that one little gag.

Did they agree "Look motherfucker, every single person in this room will be dead for a decade and a half before Final Fantasy 27 even has a concept trailer. We can do this gag!"?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

My Lovely Horse posted:

XXVII is really drat optimistic. They'd have to make one a year. Should have been... well pretty much any Ubisoft game.
They've been doing one every two years so far though?

Edit - Not counting spinoffs etc.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

tuluk posted:

I also loved how the tech guy had the largest single person office & Jensen had a tiny lovely office.
tech guy controlled the flooring database.

I liked how he was so opposite of Alex from Deus Ex.

JENSEN!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Anatharon posted:

I liked how he was so opposite of Alex from Deus Ex.

JENSEN!

I liked how he was an abrasive dickhole, but still basically a good guy.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Xander77 posted:

They've been doing one every two years so far though?

Edit - Not counting spinoffs etc.

Not counting spin-offs? Going on North American dates:

FFX - 2001
FFXI - 2003
FFXII - 2006
FFXIII - 2010
FFXIV - Also 2010 but everything was on fire and the game straight up got cancelled and basically remade.
FFXIV Proper - 2014
FFXV - 2015 maybe. It's been in development since 2006...

Human Revolution is a decade and change in the future. Kinda optimistic there...

Nohman has a new favorite as of 08:27 on Jun 13, 2014

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Maybe it's a Leisure Suit Larry 5 scenario. :v:

Caufman
May 7, 2007

pentyne posted:

Something I learned according to the creators' commentary: the word "Fantasy" would not fit behind that character's head.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Caufman posted:

Something I learned according to the creators' commentary: the word "Fantasy" would not fit behind that character's head.

That wasn't obvious from just looking at it? :raise:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Canemacar posted:

Not to mention the mirror, complete with a sticky note to bitch at the manager again for not replacing it.

Read the apartment building receptionist's computer during the riots: The warehouse has had the mirror for months and are practically begging her to take it off their hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
In Tales of Maj'Eyal (which is awesome and people should play it) the Necromancer class can call up undead minions to serve him. However, the Necromancer has a small aura of negative energy around him that sustains the minions; outside the aura they will gradually decay, losing health each turn.

The little thing I really love is that if your minions fully decay outside your aura and crumble into ash, they have little lines like "master whyyyyyy" when they do. :3: