Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

Not overly surprised gamers freaked out over literally nothing.

Technically Microsoft never officially announced they were shutting down the service, but behind-the-scenes documents leaked and a bunch of developers made announcements and patched their games. Obviously at one point they were going to, but much like the Xbone's always-online and Kinect-enabled requirements, they recanted in the face of public backlash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
I was never able to get Dead Rising 2, that I bought in a store, to work on my PC.

I eventually had to pick up a dummy GWFL patch which also hosed me up because it added a bunch of cheaty poo poo into the game.

AND I couldn't play with any friends online because of that, so the whole reason I got it on PC instead of a console was just hosed there too.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I guess I got lucky because through the dozen or so GFWL games I've played I never had a single issue making it work so I've never understood all the rage people have for it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Len posted:

I guess I got lucky because through the dozen or so GFWL games I've played I never had a single issue making it work so I've never understood all the rage people have for it.

I've heard stories about losing save files and other things.

I know I could never get it work initially when I bought RE5 a long rear end time ago and just said gently caress it, then like a year ago a friend bought me Dawn of War II to coop with him and that has GFWL and it somehow mysteriously worked in that game, and now my account is linked with this PC so I can play any GFWL game I own.

Not sure what happened or what was different, I always got errors when dealing with RE5 but it worked fine with Dawn.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Alteisen posted:

I've heard stories about losing save files and other things.
I "lost" a save file in Fallout 3, because I foolishly started a new game before I logged on to GFWL. When you're logged on, the game looks for saves in your GFWL profile-specific directory instead of the common one.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Len posted:

quote:

I've got half an hour, I guess I'll play a little bit of this game I bought. Steam's downloaded it and it's up to date and ready to play.

You need to log in to GFWL.

I don't have an account.

You need to create one.

OK, fine, I'll do that.

OK.

Downloading updates for GFWL.

:what:

I already did that. :argh:

Downloading updates for this game.

:commissar:

Well, I now have about three minutes left to play, so I guess that was a half hour well spent.

Then the next time you decide to play.

Well, I don't remember my password because I use this account for absolutely nothing other than this game I've never managed to play, so I'll look it up. :argh:

Downloading updates for GFWL.

:flame:
And that's why I personally hate GFWL. Or I did until I realised that you can skip all that by creating an "offline profile". The method for doing so is kind of hidden, but once you know where to look, as long as you only want to play single player, you can cut through all that bullshit. It's still irritating that you need to do that though, and that it's so hard to find the option to do so.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Probably a dumb question but did any of you who had problems use an xbox live account? I've always used mine and it's given me zero grief.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Len posted:

Probably a dumb question but did any of you who had problems use an xbox live account? I've always used mine and it's given me zero grief.

My Xbox Live account is tied to a Hotmail address (which you are REQUIRED to use instead of Gmail or literally any other email address when making a new account) that I've had for probably 15+ years. This account got broken in to once, and now apparently spambots think it's easy to break in to even with a new password, so it's constantly locked out due to attempts. My Xbox can stay logged in, but anything on PC requires me to go through an unbelievably obnoxious password reset system that doesn't work 50% of the time. I'm not allowed to change the email address to something current or non Hotmail/Live to make it more secure. It is a massive pain in the rear end, and I consider Uplay to be a perfectly fine program that does its job.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I have a similar problem with Hotmail, got Live when I was 16 and with a stupid Hotmail account. I can't remember my password because I haven't logged into it since 2007 and my secret question is gibberish because one of my dumb friends kept guessing my secret questions and signing me up to spam.

I don't play my Xbox any more but I can't cancel Live from my Xbox because I need my email password to sign in to Live whereas I didn't have to before. I rang support but they can't do it for me because they need the details of the debit card I used ten years ago on the other side of the country. Why can't I just say 'hi, my name is xxxx, my username is xxxx, my email is xxxx and my bank account number is xxxx, please stop my service, cheers'?

I think I've cancelled it through the bank, I'll find out at the end of the month.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I may or may not have said this before, but Wario: Master of Disguise may not be the funnest game - it does have some really bat poo poo stuff going on from a Fish robot you need to defeat by pooping into a toilet, to buff rear end Dolphins that attack by firing beams of energy from their abs, to German Shepherds that get up on their hind legs and start throwing punches.

Also, the final boss is pretty much making fun of their Peach Mood-swings game.
And the music is awesome.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
Typing of the Dead: Overkill and all its DLC was on the Steam Summer Sale yesterday, so my boyfriend picked it up and we've both been playing (thanks, Steam Family Sharing!)

The Filth of the Dead Dictionary DLC is the best thing ever. I never thought that I'd be killing zommutants with phrases like "double wank and poo poo chips", "sentient dick cheese" or "put the dick away, that's my mom", but I keep laughing so hard it's difficult to type properly.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Typing of the Dead: Overkill and all its DLC was on the Steam Summer Sale yesterday, so my boyfriend picked it up and we've both been playing (thanks, Steam Family Sharing!)

The Filth of the Dead Dictionary DLC is the best thing ever. I never thought that I'd be killing zommutants with phrases like "double wank and poo poo chips", "sentient dick cheese" or "put the dick away, that's my mom", but I keep laughing so hard it's difficult to type properly.

Oh my god my desire slash need to own this game has skyrocketed immensely. :stonk:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The bit in Metal Gear Solid 2 where Pliskin feels a little faint is a perfectly authentic hypotension attack.

The gray-out makes your eyes sorta glaze over, a strong electric tingling passes up your spine and through your head, knocking out your sense of balance and making your ears buzz like static. You briefly lose motor control and go limp as the faint spell peaks out and passes a few seconds later. If it's not bad enough to actually knock you out, the most instinctive reaction is to gently break your fall by stumbling into a sitting position before you lose all control.

scamtank has a new favorite as of 21:46 on Jun 28, 2014

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

scamtank posted:

The bit in Metal Gear Solid 2 where Pliskin feels a little faint is a perfectly authentic hypotension attack.

The gray-out makes your eyes sorta glaze over, a strong electric tingling passes up your spine and through your head, knocking out your sense of balance and making your ears buzz like static. You briefly lose motor control and go limp as the faint spell peaks out and passes a few seconds later. If it's not bad enough to actually knock you out, the most instinctive reaction is to gently break your fall by stumbling into a sitting position before you lose all control.

His skin tone also becomes much paler, since he's lost a lot of blood.

It's not too long afterwards that you can spot him running between the struts in a cardboard box, frighten him by shooting it, then calling him to say how much of a loser someone hiding in a cardboard box must be.

Dogan
Aug 2, 2006
Deus Ex has a lot of little things that make it great, but the one that always stuck with me is how much the game allows you to get to know the characters personally. Not just the main ones, but all the little background soldiers and stuff. Pilots and boat drivers have names and personalities, you get to see soldiers during their time off, hanging around in their office, getting patched up in the medical bay, etc. One this that really encapsulates this whole feature is the simple receptionist soldier at your HQ. At first he's labeled as "UNATCO soldier" and he makes some semi-awkward small talk. As you keep coming and going between missions he'll start up small conversations as you pass by. Once you feel like you're getting to know him more his label subtly changes to "Private Lloyd" (or whatever his real name is, I can't remember).

Really subtle, but once I noticed what was happening I just sat there stunned for a moment.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Dogan posted:

Deus Ex has a lot of little things that make it great, but the one that always stuck with me is how much the game allows you to get to know the characters personally. Not just the main ones, but all the little background soldiers and stuff. Pilots and boat drivers have names and personalities, you get to see soldiers during their time off, hanging around in their office, getting patched up in the medical bay, etc. One this that really encapsulates this whole feature is the simple receptionist soldier at your HQ. At first he's labeled as "UNATCO soldier" and he makes some semi-awkward small talk. As you keep coming and going between missions he'll start up small conversations as you pass by. Once you feel like you're getting to know him more his label subtly changes to "Private Lloyd" (or whatever his real name is, I can't remember).

Really subtle, but once I noticed what was happening I just sat there stunned for a moment.

I loved how Vampire: The Masquerades: Bloodlines did the same thing with Officer Chunk in the lobby of the Camarilla tower, where you get to know him over the course of several missions and he even develops a crush on you if you're a girl. Which makes having to kill him when you turn on LaCroix at the end of the game that much more sweet :unsmigghh:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

You can also kill Chunk early on and he'll be replaced with his identical twin brother who wears sunglasses and barely says anything.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I chose to believe Chunk and Chunk Harder had another brother who was killed in the sewers during that plague quest.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007
So I just got Viscera Cleanup Detail on Steam for like $7 and sweet god drat is that a fun game.

You're a space janitor. Cleaning up a space station. AFTER the hero has shot up all the aliens.

Blood, guts, dead bodies, green goo, bullet holes, everything is there. Hell, you even have to pick up the bullet casings, put them in a big tub, then incinerate the tub. You have to wash your space mop off in a bucket, then change the bucket out when its dirty.

I bought it as a joke, like 'Ok, let's see what this is then' but I CANNOT STOP PLAYING!
My favorite little thing is the humor. When you quit it asks things like "Religious Break Hour?" or "Off to your Psych Evaluation?" instead of "Do you want to exit?" The humor is impressive, although sparse.

It's an early release, but I recommend it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Someone all over in D&D in the middle east thread had this to say about ISIS declaring the creation of their own Caliphate.

quote:

Baghdadi can neither produce documented descent from the Prophet, nor does he control both Mecca and Medina. According to CK2 mechanics, this declaration of Caliphate is invalid.

Crusader Kings 2 is the best game. :allears:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Arx Monolith posted:

So I just got Viscera Cleanup Detail on Steam for like $7 and sweet god drat is that a fun game.
It's an early release, but I recommend it.

I thought you were talking about the added extra to Shadow Warrior, which I didn't like that much, and only now realize there is a whole separate game!

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

I thought you were talking about the added extra to Shadow Warrior, which I didn't like that much, and only now realize there is a whole separate game!

If you buy the..normal (?) game, you get the Shadow Warrior add on (extra game?) and also the "Santa went crazy and killed the elves one. Not sure if these are extra levels you install and play separately or extra games with their own collection of levels. Have barely stopped playing with all the rear end-hole physics in the first level of the space station.

Also, I have to say this is the most well put together early release I've found on Steam.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Just finished Tomb Raider. Despite the dark stuff that's at the beginning, I like the direction the series is going. Instead of her signature dual pistols, Lara relies more on a bow. There's a character in the game who's a mentor figure to Lara and happens to prefer dual pistols. I thought she was gonna take a second pistol from him but it never happens. However, the final boss fight is a QTE sequence which ends with Lara taking the guy's pistol and dual-wielding him off the edge.

The game's stealth is pretty basic but I cleared an area of enemies with just my bow and hiding in shrubs and behind trees. I hope the sequel expands on that.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Isn't that kinda spoilery?

I disliked a lot of things about Bravely Default. But I liked how that boss is vulnerable to instant death.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Anatharon posted:

Isn't that kinda spoilery?

I disliked a lot of things about Bravely Default. But I liked how that boss is vulnerable to instant death.

Which one? Frankly I wish they could have done something to make awakening the crystals less tedious.
I also really like the Super secret final boss. I seriously didn't know he existed.

You can find him in the extra dungeon past a wall you can now walk through.
It's the Save Guy and his Fox and they're actually pretty tough but unlike the village bosses, can still be beaten without abusing Stillness which is nice. You can also re-fight them whenever you want but you get jack poo poo from them so there isn't really a point and its a pain in the rear end to get there.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

The game's stealth is pretty basic but I cleared an area of enemies with just my bow and hiding in shrubs and behind trees. I hope the sequel expands on that.

One of my favorite things about that game is that you slowly realize that your enemies are scared shitless of you:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFovzdGjsZA

Johnny Digital
Apr 29, 2008

Alhazred posted:

One of my favorite things about that game is that you slowly realize that your enemies are scared shitless of you:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFovzdGjsZA

That whole sequence was so cathartic after being outgunned and outnumbered throughout the game, I loved the switch from plinking from cover to outright pushing everyone's poo poo in

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I forgot how much of a "blockbuster" quality the soundtrack to Crysis 2 has. I've played plenty of games with an orchestral score, but none have sounded like I'm playing a movie like this game does. Probably because Hans Zimmer was involved and he's Michael Bay's go to, but still.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

He didn't do the entire soundtrack, although it wasn't like Black Ops 2 (Trent Reznor) and Fable (Danny Elfman) where the attached well known composer just did the main theme.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Speaking of soundtracks - Sonic '06 had a pretty great soundtrack (in general Sega fashion) and it was nice to see that some of the tunes showed up in Generations. Hell, the soundtrack pretty much got me to complete '06.

Honestly feel bad for those soundtrack guys though, they're pretty much the only people that put any effort into that game.

Also, the soundtrack in Oblivion was inspired by a near death experience car accident the composer went through.
It's been kind of hard to switch out the tunes in the music folder after learning that.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Just started Metal Gear Rising Revengeance Reloaded Revival Reckoning yesterday, and I am loving those voice tracks that kick in for the climax of the boss battles.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Morpheus posted:

Just started Metal Gear Rising Revengeance Reloaded Revival Reckoning yesterday, and I am loving those voice tracks that kick in for the climax of the boss battles.

If you listen, the voice tracks will talk about that boss's motivation and backstory.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Polaron posted:

If you listen, the voice tracks will talk about that boss's motivation and backstory.

It has to be this way.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Let your country control your soul

Let your country control your soul

LET YOUR COUNTRY

CONTROL

YOUR

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUL

:black101:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

You'll want to have a listen to the whole track once you've done the boss battle. The lyrics, while relating to the boss they correspond to, are too vague to give anything away. That's a polsy link so no comments or related videos. Also includes the old, original version of rules of nature at the end!

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Also the boss' lyrics can apply to Raiden equally.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
If you want to keep your love of the Metal Gear Rising soundtrack intact then whatever you do DON'T listen to the live versions of the songs from the release party:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8hDSXdJoAQ

:pwn:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It's too bad that isn't the case for the Detroit roof boss.

Speaking of, palette cleanser for the above video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYG_F7YWuYU

Cuntellectual has a new favorite as of 02:30 on Jul 5, 2014

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Skeleton War 2020

Anatharon posted:

Are you saying he doesn't have lyrics kick in? Because he totally does, it's just possible (and for some people much easier) to accidentally beat him without ever triggering his second phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Anatharon posted:

Someone never broke the shields.