Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Szmitten posted:

She's gonna be the focus of every episode.

Please be joking. I really enjoyed the original P4 Animation, and I just find this series terribly dull due to Marie. The only interesting part of her character is the crappy poetry, which is so incredibly awful it is wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Please be joking. I really enjoyed the original P4 Animation, and I just find this series terribly dull due to Marie. The only interesting part of her character is the crappy poetry, which is so incredibly awful it is wonderful.

She has been the focus of EVERY episode except a little in the first because they needed to do reintroductions, and she is the ONLY one in the ED credits. Do you need a gigantic hand slapping you across the face with "Marie is going to be a big focus this season"?

It should be obvious at this point. If you don't like Marie at all because she a gigantic sad sack, do not watch this. I'm going to keep watching because everything besides Marie is really good and helps the scenes she is in.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Marie's kind of tedious in solo scenes, but at the same time she's pretty fun in group scenes. It's good they got all of her SL drama done in one episode too, dealing with that for like ranks 6-9 or whatever was a pain.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Marie was pretty much The Big Addition of the P4G game, so yeah, the anime is totally about her.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Wow today's episode is really poorly-directed. Or at least whoever was in charge of storyboards is incompetent on a basic level. They lack any good establishing shots, and there are times when Marie looks off-screen to respond to a character saying something, but we never see the character who made that statement (even worse, she looks in a direction away from where that character is standing in a previous or later shot, so it doesn't even make sense on that level).

I thought switching to A1 would have had an improvement of visuals, but this is just bad.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

A1's putting all their money and good staff into SAO II.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I quite like the P3 movie. It sets the perspective outside the "MC"'s head, giving more time for the other characters, so you get an idea of just how hosed up the kid is (and therefore how he grows).

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
At this rate, I expect a mid season fake out with the new bad ending

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well, that was an episode.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

It was pretty drat boring as an episode, but the next one looks like it will be decent.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well it was kind of neat how Marie's gone from freaking out over having no memories to a quasi-midlife crisis.

Also did all of the Adachi SL stuff happen off screen or something?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

BlitzBlast posted:

Well it was kind of neat how Marie's gone from freaking out over having no memories to a quasi-midlife crisis.

Also did all of the Adachi SL stuff happen off screen or something?

Seems like next episode is all Adachi and likely flashbacks to important bits will occur.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Blhue posted:

Seems like next episode is all Adachi and likely flashbacks to important bits will occur.

You say that now, but Adachi will only appear for less than a minute and the rest of the episode will be spent with Marie somehow.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Dehry posted:

You say that now, but Adachi will only appear for less than a minute and the rest of the episode will be spent with Marie somehow.

Obviously Marie was always there when Yu and Adachi were chillin'.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Wait so basically this is actually still sort of meant to coincide with the actual anime? Like you could almost slot in episodes within the normal show since they're not covering the same stuff? Too much Persona 4 guys

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Wait so basically this is actually still sort of meant to coincide with the actual anime? Like you could almost slot in episodes within the normal show since they're not covering the same stuff? Too much Persona 4 guys

Even the animation quality is up there with that of the first anime. So yes.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

I still don't understand what fuels the hatred for Marie, the tsundere service at the beginning of each ep cements that this entire season is going to be bonus fanservice. See also: more Kanji in a speedo.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Marie is just a hamfisted character with a cliche and even unlikeable personality. That's all there really is to it. The reason people are always angry about her is because she's been thrown in a lot of Persona stuff since her introduction, despite a lot of people disliking her.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 11, 2014

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Butt Ghost posted:

Marie is just a hamfisted character with a cliche and even unlikeable personality. That's all there really is too it. The reason people are always angry about her is because she's been thrown in a lot of Persona stuff since her introduction, despite a lot of people disliking her.

I also like how in the art book you can see every other character went through a long chain of failures to get to a successful and appealing character design and final version Marie is exactly the same as her initial sketch.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Except for the bad poetry thing Marie's personality just seems really bland compared to everyone else. Even Yukiko has her weird sense of humor and dorky laugh.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Personally I can see disliking Marie for being so awkwardly thrown in, but when people start ranting about how awful she is and deciding that the new P4 Arena is arbitrarily worse just because she's included it gets kind of weird.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Liver Disaster posted:

I still don't understand what fuels the hatred for Marie, the tsundere service at the beginning of each ep cements that this entire season is going to be bonus fanservice. See also: more Kanji in a speedo.

She's a bland character with a boring storyline shoehorned into a game in a rerelease and it turns out she's actually super important because she's a fragment/aspect/manifestation of Izanami herself.

Basically her whole gimmick and story reads like bad fan-fiction and that's not helped by the fact she was added in on top of an already finished cast and story.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

BlitzBlast posted:

Personally I can see disliking Marie for being so awkwardly thrown in, but when people start ranting about how awful she is and deciding that the new P4 Arena is arbitrarily worse just because she's included it gets kind of weird.

It reads a lot like people being ashamed of their stupid high school phase, the outrage started before anyone had even played the game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
As someone who's only ever watched the animes, she's just kind of dull and looks vomited out of Hot Topic.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

She's a bland character with a boring storyline shoehorned into a game in a rerelease and it turns out she's actually super important because she's a fragment/aspect/manifestation of Izanami herself.

Basically her whole gimmick and story reads like bad fan-fiction and that's not helped by the fact she was added in on top of an already finished cast and story.

So, does this mean that, somewhere in the future, Kana Hanazawa is going to be a bit part player appearing as herself in a supposedly nerd-pandering live-action show, annoying one of the main characters due to the irrational hatred said hypothetical character feels for the currently nearly-ubiquitous voice actress due to her performance as Marie?

I'm know that I'm implying that Kana Hanazawa is going to become like some sort of japanese equivalent of Wil Wheaton, but I don't know if that's a thing worth referencing, especially because it also implies that I watch The Big Bang Theory and by jove, I don't know why my parents are so fond of watching that tripe. But every time that I go and visit them, sure enough, they're watching TBBT and those insufferable, one-dimensional fuckbins appear in front of me while I'm trying to eat a meal along with my family and g'ah! :ssj:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Wark Say posted:

[sub]I'm know that I'm implying that Kana Hanazawa is going to become like some sort of japanese equivalent of Wil Wheaton, but I don't know if that's a thing worth referencing, especially because it also implies that I watch The Big Bang Theory

Hold on there, Wil Wheaton is responsible for Tabletop and convincing me to pick up all manner of awesome board games :colbert: I agree on the stupid, one-dimensional characters in TBBT. I didn't mind it at first but the jokes got old (Sheldon's spot, *knock knock knock* Penny, Soft Kitty etc) fast. What I'm saying is that Wil Wheaton and TBBT aren't mutually inclusive.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HiveCommander posted:

Hold on there, Wil Wheaton is responsible for Tabletop and convincing me to pick up all manner of awesome board games :colbert: I agree on the stupid, one-dimensional characters in TBBT. I didn't mind it at first but the jokes got old (Sheldon's spot, *knock knock knock* Penny, Soft Kitty etc) fast. What I'm saying is that Wil Wheaton and TBBT aren't mutually inclusive.

Ah, no. I'm fine with Wil Wheaton in the same way that I'm okay with HanaKana. It's just that, given all the vitriol that people are spewing about Marie, it kinda reminded me back when I used to visit TV Tropes and how a lot of people voiced their utter dislike of Wheaton's character in Star Trek:TNG (apparently, this was also common back when TNG was first airing?). Also, when I got the opportunity to meet him, he seemed like an OK dude.

Trying to get back on topic: Is the Golden version of the game worth getting if I already played through the vanilla version? I'm trying to justify buying either a PS Vita or a PlayStation TV when it comes out and I kinda want to buy a console for more than one or two video-games and, so far, the only two that come to mind are this thing and God Eater. Is there a recommendation thread in Games when it comes to Vita games?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There's a Vita General and a PSN general thread if you need recommendations.

As far as the P4G jump, I think it was worth it having only played the vanilla game twice. The story is the same but the things you see in the anime were things added for the golden release.

You get two new s-links, an added month of gameplay, plenty of new events, and can go out at night. It makes the original feel half completed.

At this point in the anime we have seen all the new content that was added prior to Nanako's kidnapping. Adachi's stuff is next but then all that would be left is a part where you can decide to cover up for adachi or confront him after he escapes into the TV. After that it's Christmas, new year's day (complete with a shrine visit with a girl) learning about marie, her content, and valentines day. Then I guess the epilogue could be fleshed out into an episode too.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

They also add some new music. There's a brand new battle-theme that plays when you don't get the advantage over an enemy, for example. Shuffle Time has been changed into a game where you can pick from a hand of cards, and some cards let you grab more cards for less money earned and stuff. The fusion system has also been retooled to let you pick and chose what skills you can inherit, which is a much needed addition. Also there's a new dungeon and boss.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Totally worth getting a Vita for, especially if there's another game or two coming out that you're interested in, or if you own a PS4 because dual-screen is awesome. I especially loved the music in the Mitsuo fight in P4G :allears:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Wark Say posted:

Trying to get back on topic: Is the Golden version of the game worth getting if I already played through the vanilla version? I'm trying to justify buying either a PS Vita or a PlayStation TV when it comes out and I kinda want to buy a console for more than one or two video-games and, so far, the only two that come to mind are this thing and God Eater. Is there a recommendation thread in Games when it comes to Vita games?
I bought a Vita mostly just for P4G (ans Ys Celceta) and I felt it was well worth it for that alone, but I also loved the original so...

I definitely couldn't go back to vanilla at this point. There are a ton of nice gameplay improvements (you can pick your skills in fusion!!) and one of the new S. Links owns bones.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Adachi two parter I guess. Looks like the preview for next week has the part where they fight him.

duvel
Dec 13, 2008
Oh good they decided to have at least 2 episodes that are actually good. Though it is a little weird that Marie has magic evil sense which ruins the shock of the Adachi revelation, even if the mystery part of it isn't actually important in this anime. Like, if she had done that in the game and that was your first time playing, it'd have ruined it.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Oh wow, I really hope this is getting dubbed like the last anime. I would love to hear JYB do over the top bat poo poo crazy Adachi.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

You could always pick up P4 Arena Ultimax which has Adachi playable and should be dual audio again. He seems pretty crazy in it, personality wise. It's out next month on PS3/360.

As for Golden, the game is absolutely worth it even if you played Persona 4 on the PS2. The only issue is that a vita isn't exactly cheap so make sure there's something else you want to play on there, personally I play mine a whole lot. These days I've been playing Ys, Final Fantasy X/X2, Disgaea 4, Muramasa and Dragon's Crown, nice to have them portable but you'll notice a decent chunk of the library is portable ports/remakes of something already available somewhere else.

duvel
Dec 13, 2008
If P4 Arena Ultimax is like BlazBlue was regarding voices, it'll probably be English voices only in battle. I still turned them on to annoy everyone I played with by making them hear Ragna's potty mouth.

Luckily if you want the story mode English VAs (which if you ask me the P4 dub voices are vastly superior to the original Japanese. Especially Teddie dear god), it's only gonna take another month for it to hit the US. If you preorder you get a silly Teddie bop bag and a bunch of tarot cards! And as long as you have it in the first week you can get 2 of the DLC characters for free.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It goes either way with which setting's VAs are better. US Teddia and Rise are way more tolerable, but JP Yu is a masterpiece. Also not sharing the same voice as Adachi.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

W...why don't you go dance with yourself. Baka! :allears:
I have no issue with Marie, and her VA is great.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
That was a pretty confusing episode without having played Golden. Did they just animate a bad ending and lead straight into the good one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
In Golden you get the chance to confront Adachi right before the final battle. Yu is supposed to get Adachi's persona after battling the eyeball. The rest of that was fast forwarding and anime original.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIll4HWzFys

• Locked thread