Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

ArfJason posted:

look at all those retweets and favourites do you think he's wrong??

no. but you might be a retard. Ask your doctor?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

no. but you might be a retard. Ask your doctor?

i already did and his prognosis was just looking at his writing board dead eyed for a couple minutes and then repeatedly writing in different styles "Gone Home is pretty bad"

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
instead of giving me any sort of medication he gave me a usb thumb drive with an snes emulator and all the mario worlds

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

ArfJason posted:

i already did and his prognosis was just looking at his writing board dead eyed for a couple minutes and then repeatedly writing in different styles "Gone Home is pretty bad"

I'm gonna take that as you are a retard.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
but really the part where otacon muses about love on the battlefield and then goes off on a tangent on why the lesbian girl left for the army on gone home is pretty much a gaming classic

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

ArfJason posted:

but really the part where otacon muses about love on the battlefield and then goes off on a tangent on why the lesbian girl left for the army on gone home is pretty much a gaming classic

hahaha

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
it's a shame that in the twin snakes remake the criticisms become more outlandish, and less incisive. "Snake we are not tools of the government who wants to use Gone Home to kickstart a gaming revolution where walk-around, plot heavy games will become more common and more pandering for the sake of being considered the forebearers of equality"? I mean come on :rolleyes:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

ArfJason posted:

it's a shame that in the twin snakes remake the criticisms become more outlandish, and less incisive. "Snake we are not tools of the government who wants to use Gone Home to kickstart a gaming revolution where walk-around, plot heavy games will become more common and more pandering for the sake of being considered the forebearers of equality"? I mean come on :rolleyes:

holy christ. You are stupid.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

holy christ. You are stupid.

this exchange is reminding me of the confrontation between volgin and snake in snake eater where volgin started talking at length about ferris bueller's day off. totally anachronistic.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
It is not surprising that in the 2ND game (Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty), they pull of an actually kind of clever switcheroo, where you assume the main character does not like Gone Home but then you play Raiden and he loves it. At least in the end raiden takes a good lesson from it to benefit gaming, as not everything needs to be an action heavy based game, but insists gone home is not the way it should be. Shame it was marred in too much sci fi bullshit about memes near the end and constant metacommentary (an overt reference to The Stanley Parable's more witty style of walkaround game narrative delivery).

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

ArfJason posted:

It is not surprising that in the 2ND game (Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty), they pull of an actually kind of clever switcheroo, where you assume the main character does not like Gone Home but then you play Raiden and he loves it. At least in the end raiden takes a good lesson from it to benefit gaming, as not everything needs to be an action heavy based game, but insists gone home is not the way it should be. Shame it was marred in too much sci fi bullshit about memes near the end and constant metacommentary (an overt reference to The Stanley Parable's more witty style of walkaround game narrative delivery).

gently caress. your still talking?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

MGS2 is very complex and merits talking about the issues it raises, namely, that Gone Home is bad.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Gone Home killed my soul by playing the victim. This is the only way I can defuse its sins.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

ArfJason posted:

MGS2 is very complex and merits talking about the issues it raises, namely, that Gone Home is bad.

who cares rear end in a top hat? you are boring

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

VOLGIN: Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? Anyone?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Effectronica posted:

dont mix up a communist and a jewish new earth christain

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

dont mix up a communist and a jewish new earth christain

VOLGIN: Also, the destruction of the car is a key part of Cameron growing a pair and standing up for himself, throwing off the yoke of the bourgeoisie. It's basically destroying his father's hold over him and materialism's hold over all of us.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Effectronica posted:

a fun fact that is in the metal gear wikia is that Volgin was made to be an outrageous homosexual as a satire of the mishandling of gay characters in Gone Home.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

ArfJason posted:

a fun fact that is in the metal gear wikia is that Volgin was made to be an outrageous homosexual as a satire of the mishandling of gay characters in Gone Home.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Gone Home Is Bad.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

ArfJason posted:

dear god you are boring. *in an apu voice* Why don't you shut up?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Gone Home Is Bad.

I'm glad someone understood the undertones (and somewhat overt tones too) of MGS1 through 3. We don't count 4, though.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

PARA-MEDIC: Snake, have you ever seen this movie, Myra Breckenridge?

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

ArfJason posted:

I'm glad someone understood the undertones (and somewhat overt tones too) of MGS1 through 3. We don't count 4, though.

What's 4 about? Bioware games?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

At least just boring, and not boring and offensive like Gone Home.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Effectronica posted:

PARA-MEDIC: Snake, have you ever seen this movie, Myra Breckenridge?

how does it taste?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

The Droid posted:

What's 4 about? Bioware games?

Actually in the Twin Snakes remake, when Liquid does his speech about expecting more games with tacked on gay issues, if you enter first person mode and look around, you can see the ghost of Female Shepherd, cradling a crying naked Liara.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

ArfJason posted:

At least just boring, and not boring and offensive like Gone Home.

We get it you don't like Gone Home. Ok.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

We get it you don't like Gone Home. Ok.

Take it out on Kojima, not me.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Me playing Metal Gear Solid: I like this.

Me, later, playing Gone Home: Oof... I don't like this.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

ArfJason posted:

Take it out on Kojima, not me.

I think you need to take your own advice.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

While I agree with Kojima that Gone Home is bad and not a good example of the future of videogames, I also do agree that it's excruciatingly bad.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

Ocelot: But... does this mean Granin was the spy?

Volgin: The critical aspect comes from understanding that Ferris is only a creation of Cameron's mind.

Ocelot: Perhaps? This man was our comrade!

Volgin: Ferris is able to do the things that Cameron wishes he could do.

Ocelot: I don't approve of your methods!

Volgin: Obviously, Sloane is a friend of Cameron he's afraid of making a move on.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

ArfJason posted:

While I agree with Kojima that Gone Home is bad and not a good example of the future of videogames, I also do agree that it's excruciatingly bad.

You are very mad at video games. Take a nap, it helps me when I am angry at stupid poo poo.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

You are very mad at video games. Take a nap, it helps me when I am angry at stupid poo poo.

I'm not angry, Snake is, which is what started this whole conversation. I was saying that the part where Snake throws a tantrum on an internet forum over Gone Home was one of the highlights.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
He also gets probated for it, lmao. Kojima is a genius

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
itt we learn that arfjason cares more about a dumb internet slapfight from like three months ago than i do

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ArfJason posted:

He also gets probated for it, lmao. Kojima is a genius

also this didn't happen so idk what the gently caress you're even talking about anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Literally The Worst posted:

itt we learn that arfjason cares more about a dumb internet slapfight than i do

i liked this part of MGS2

COL. CAMPBELL: You know what's a great idea? Public shaming! We should teach kids to do that early so that they continue to do it as they grow up!

RAIDEN: Colonel?

• Locked thread