Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

How a holy place and its people helped a Western woman find wholeness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Can't wait to jump in the Ganges and get a real spiritual experience

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Volcott posted:

And cholera.

hopefully a strain of the superbug staph too

I India people can buy antibiotics over the counter with predictable results

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lolling at how she included the Beatles in the article, even though they left after getting creeped out by the rapey india guru

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao

I'm now on a far less personal mission: to write about this place and what it means to those who flock here. I plan to push myself out of my comfort zone, get my yoga on, try my hand at meditation. I'll meet with gurus, hear about past lives, dabble in some ancient therapies.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Brown Menace posted:

i like to think that indians just make this poo poo up on the spot and secretly film it and then upload it to worldstarkarma.com or whatever

probably just a good excuse to dump olive oil and herbs down a fat white woman's rear end

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Naerasa posted:

hahaha I love that she goes over there to do 'yoga' and all she ends up doing is poses. Doing the poses is like 1/8th of the practice of yoga but it's the only thing westerners care about because we're obsessed with working out in the trendiest way possible.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

making weird moaning sounds in the park

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xaris posted:

if you're somewhat crazy or have breathing problems, sure. but just breathing controlled and proper is like 99% of the benefits. it's good to reflect and think, but you can do that without some special meditation pose/dough+oil.

"So if I go into the Ganga, my heart will open?" I asked.
"Absolutely. You have to experience it," she said. "Ganga is the mother, the feminine cosmic energy. Give the river permission to take away anything you don't need."
Girding myself, I slowly wade in. I turn the plastic bag of ashes upside down, pouring the memories into the river and sending them downstream.
My loose clothes cling to my skin as I tread further into the cold after tossing the emptied bag by my shoes on shore. I peer up at the mountains and scan the vast sky. As instructed, I send gratitude and love to my parents, my siblings. I don't really know how to pray, but I think that's what I'm doing.
I breathe in the fresh air, close my eyes, curl into a ball and surrender. The Ganga envelops me as I hold my breath and slip under. The rush of cold water echoes in my ears as I exhale, and everything that is possible begins to take hold.

lol it must own to be a male in india. you get to rape dumb tourist women seeking spiritually both in their orifices and wallet over dumb gimmicky poo poo. and then you get to tell them to go wade into poo poo and splash it in their face and they'll do it

They probably convinced her that getting different body parts groped and smeared with olive oil was part of the traditional indian healing massage.

etalian fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

you irl posted:

...they just put the corpses right in the river and then have a bath in the river and then drink the bath water!

they brush their teeth using Ganges water too

• Locked thread