Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
Amber Holloway - On the way to campus

"Unanti- destroy?!" This is a lot to take in for Amber. Unconsciously, she begins walking faster. "But what does she want? Who is she? How did she find me?" Suddenly a thought strikes her. "How did you find me? What the gently caress do you mean, active? Who are you?"

With each question she rattles off, the sinking feeling of dread she has only intensifies. The campus, full of people, is the last place she wants to be. She just wants to run away, but she also doesn't want Leo to try and feed her to Fang in pieces. Stuck between a rock and a Murderviking, poo poo. So for now, she just keeps walking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe
Amber's Phone

If there was a creepier noise than a modulated robot voice laughing, Amber wasn't aware of it. And Rufus was doing just that. "It is my business to know the comings and goings of all the vampires in Rochester, Kindred and Cainite each." The voice says once it finishes Ha-ha-ing mechanically. "As for her - it is better that you do not know. The further away from the truth of her you are, the better off you will be."

"As a show of good faith," Rufus continues "I will tell you this: Professor Bedford is right not to trust the Giovanni, but they are not the ones at fault for her recent paranoia. And Mr. Fry should be wary - now that they have his scent, they won't stop coming for him."

"It may be in your best interests to find friends amongst the Nosferatu if you wish to continue lairing in the sewers, Amber." The voice finishes after a pause.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
Amber Holloway - On the way to campus

"Oh, okay." She's not quite sure what he means about Ricky or Alicia, but she tries to keep it in mind to tell them later. She frowns at his avoidance. Maybe a stealthy approach would help. "Are you a Nosferatu, Rufus? Do you want to be friends?" Amber doesn't know if she even wants to be friends with a creepy robot, but figures it can't hurt to ask.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Amber's Phone

"Me? No. Not a Nosferatu. Not worth your effort to try and guess. Just keep in mind what I said, Amber. Change your habits or she will catch up with you." The other line suddenly clicks dead.

Conveniently, Amber was nearing the campus at the same time.

Feel free to meet up with the others, Zeph. Sorry for the delay in posting.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Amber Holloway - University of Rochester Campus

Amber swears profusely at her phone. loving hell, that was zero use wasn't it? Something about being an unintended consequence (story of her fuckin' life), something about that lady being someone not to mess with (but who?).... And she has to change her habits but also be less active at the same time? How?

It's the worst loving thing, that after trying to avoid Kindred interest for so long, she still manages to find herself in the middle of something she understands nothing about. Maybe she should just leave town? The idea of trying to travel at night while also avoiding... Her... is unappealing.

Still full of uneasy questions, she finally arrives at the meeting place. Upon seeing Alicia's stormy expression, Amber's eyes flick to one of the omnipresent clocks on campus. 7:15, poo poo.

"I got up... and you weren't there and then Rufus called and I started walking. But he was a creepy death robot and he said all this stuff and... It was a long conversation." Amber pauses. "He said, um, not trusting the Giovanni is right but the break-in wasn't them." She turns to Ricky, looking confused. "He also said someone smelled you?"

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Leo Jansen - Campus

Leo looks at Amber as she walks in, and pulls up the bag he had sitting at his side, and from it places four identical devices on Alicia's desk. Each consists of a small black box with two cords coming out. One cord splits into two looking somewhat large earbuds. The other leads into four electrodes set in the front of a stretchable cloth circle. "I'm glad your here. I manged to obtain these for tonight's operation."

TehWarsmith
Jul 3, 2010
Alicia Bedford Willpower 4/6 Vitae 9/10

Alicia has entirely too much on her mind right now. She very briefly shows her fangs as her temper flares up, but eventually makes a frustrated hissing sort of noise and says, "Well. Thank you very much, Mr. Rufus. I already knew that." She sits down in a huff as Leo begins laying out his special operations equipment, seemingly ignoring the potentially dire tidings the young girl has brought into the room. She stares at him in disbelief for a long moment and then looks to Ricky. "Smelled you?" She catches his eye, her brain slowly but steadily connecting the dots.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Leo Jansen - Campus

Leo shrugs off Alicia's incredulous stare. "Unless I missed my mark, we're on a fairly tight timetable. We need to drive out to the camp, carry out this operation, and then drive back, all before dawn. So, unless this Rufus had anything to say that means we need to call off or substantially alter the op, then it can probably wait till we get back. Am I wrong?" He raises an eyebrow at Alicea. Getting distracted with interesting but operationally irrelevant info right before going into the field, god drat civilians.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

"Yeah fuckin' Rufus said, um, that Ricky is being followed too by whoever smelled him. He didn't say much more than that..." because he's a loving vampire playing stupid loving vampire mind games. Amber turns to Leo. "But he didn't say anything about our kidnapping tonight. He did say he knows everything that Kindred do in this city, but don't worry he's probably full of poo poo."

She's not sure she actually believes that though.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Ricky Fry - Alicia's Office 7bp 7wp

Ricky runs a hand through his hair, his face scrunching in uncertain embarassment, "Yeah, uh, that's the thing. When I went to Big Jim's last night I ran into some sort of monster in the woods. If this Rufus knows what it is, we need to get some answers. Everyone be on the lookout for gross rotting corpse-things."

TehWarsmith
Jul 3, 2010

Alicia gestures emphatically as Ricky speaks up. "We are not operating in a vacuum, Mr. Jansen! I have far too much to do here, now, and that is without setting time aside for your project, which I assume you still want completed as soon as possible?" She scowls at him. "And besides, I have no idea what use I could possibly be to - whatever it is you intend to do."

She looks seriously at Ricky. "...all the same. I do not want you going out there alone if that thing and its ... associates are looking for you."

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

"So come with, the quicker we do this, the quicker we're done," Ricky pokes at the communicators.

"This is... wow."

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Amber joins Ricky in poking the electrodes. "Weird looking iPod."

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Leo Jansen - Campus

Leo wasn't too worried about the SVR-Radios, after all they were designed for field use they had to be tough. He puts on a showman's smile, and then proceeds to explain, "I'm afraid that this isn't some fancy mp3 player. What they are, is subvocal recognition radios. They use the electrodes to read the nerves in your throat to produce a digital version of the corresponding sound. In laymans terms, they let you communicate over a radio without actually talking out loud."

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Amber remembers William telling her about their disciplines. About how older members of their clan could look into peoples' minds and steal thoughts and place new thoughts inside, and send messages and stuff. Yeah, if she lives that long, she wants to learn how to do that. But for now, technology can help.

"Cool." Amber resumes poking the electrodes.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ricky nods, obviously impressed, "Huh. Pretty swank. Well, let's gear up and get going. I have Fang in the truck, still. With a bit of luck, this all goes nice and smooth."

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Leo Jansen - Campus

"I'll show you how to put them on. The electodes need to be set around your voice-box, like so..." Leo pulls one of the SVR Mics over his head and positions the electrodes. "Oh, and in case it wasn't clear. I wan't these back when we're done. If you break it, you bought it, and I get the feeling most of you don't have a few thousand dollars lying around."

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

"So we just, what," Ricky's obviously confused, "like talk without moving our lips?"

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Leo Jansen - Campus

"Just pretend you were reading what you want to say off of a page. It'll take a bit of practice, but it should allow us to silently communicate. Which ought to be especially useful for you Ms. Holloway. If you scout out their locations you should be able to relay that information to us without making a sound."

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

"-and I get the feeling most of you don't have a few thousand dollars lying around." Upon Leo saying this, Amber immediately withdraws her hand from the electrodes.

Instead she practices mouthing words for a bit, mostly bad ones, in Leo's direction. Once she feels like she's got the hang of talking silently, she reaches out for a commmunicator again.

"Scouting means I just take a look around, tell you where they are, then get the gently caress out? I can do that."

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ricky nods along with Amber and shoots her a thumbs up.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Leo Jansen - Campus

"Indeed, with you tracking their movements if all goes well they'll never even know we were there. And in return, I'll use my contacts to look into this Rufus who has been stalking you. Not bad for a keeping an eye on some loons out in the back-country."

Leo gestures to the door, "Shall we get started. We can discuss the specifics of our plan on the road."

TehWarsmith
Jul 3, 2010

Alicia raises an eyebrow at the hardware, mildly impressed, while she does some mental arithmetic. Her frown deepens as she finishes, seemingly displeased with the results.

"Yes, well." She says. "You seem to have this firmly in hand, Mr. Jansen. Unfortunately I have entirely too much on my plate to go running off into the middle of nowhere for another night. I am sure you can manage minus one schoolteacher." Her tone softens a bit as she turns to Ricky and Amber. "You understand."

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

With a resigned shrug, Ricky smiles towards Alicia, "I'll call you later. Stay safe."

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Amber looks at Alicia, then at Leo, then back at Alicia and then Ricky for good measure. "Really?" She frowns at the thought of being in closer quarters with Leo while Alicia goes looking for vampire mobsters or whatever. "Fine then..."

At least they still have the man person vampire-power to take on a few crazy humans. Unless things go wrong. Amber hopes things don't go wrong.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Amber, Leo, Ricky

The ride down to the compound is an uneasy one, given the occupants of the cramped vehicle. Still, nothing of any real importance happened on the way down - no corpse monsters, for instance.

The gate to the compound is closed, the group can tell from a while back, and from the looks of it, they've stepped up their security from the previous night. More guards, though from as far away as the group had parked it was hard to tell just how many, all armed with automatic weapons.

Alicia

With the other three gone, the Professor finally had some time to get to her research on the codex, or grading, or dealing with the mess that the past night dropped on her plate.

She couldn't get over the feeling that she was being watched in her office, though she couldn't find anything, obviously. Probably just nerves.

So feel free to take this wherever you want to go, TehWarsmith. Ball's in your court

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Leo Jansen - Survivalist Compound

Leo got out of the truck, pulled his rifle from the trunk, and went through the familiar motions of readying it. Next he does a comm check, subvocalizing , "Testing 1, 2, 3." Once he's confident the SVR mic is working he turns to Amber and says, "Your time to shine, or disappear as it were."

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Ricky Fry - The Compound 7bp 7wp

Even with Fang in the back of the truck, there wasn't that much room inside the cab. Thankfully Amber was small enough that she could squeeze behind the driver seats. In preperation for an escape, Ricky turns the truck around for a quick getaway before hopping out to stretch.

"drat, maybe I stirred things up. That's a lot of guards."

TehWarsmith
Jul 3, 2010

After the others depart, Alicia spends a few minutes just sitting in her office, savoring the moment of peace and thinking.

I find myself, she thinks, in the unenviable position of having to prioritize my potential enemies. Who do I wish to antagonize least? Matters concerned with them go to the top of my proverbial in-tray.

She decides that the list goes, in descending order, The Junkie, Takeshi Giovanni, Leo Jansen, the anonymous hunter. The Junkie (she admits to herself, her blood boiling) she has little to no means of tracking as yet. She could go to the murder site, force the police to give her access, attempt to pick up a trail, but she is no bloodhound, she needs Richard and Fang for that. And besides, even if she succeeded at finding something to follow, what would she do? Attempt to go another round against that monstrosity with a purse gun?

Giovanni and his Sweeping have to come next. She has no idea whether to trust Amber's message, but it told her nothing she did not already know. She shifts uncomfortably at the animalistic feeling of being watched, the Beast inside her pacing and growling at the idea that she is not safe here in her own territory. Maybe Takeshi has stationed some spectre or other otherworldly being to keep an eye on her, she suspects such things are within the Family's power. Intolerable, but there is nothing she can do about it yet, and in any case she has nothing to hide from the Giovanni at the moment.

Jansen ... Jansen can wait. She needs to make time for the codex, though - drat these short summer nights!

And the hunter...

...well, that she can make a start on.

Once again, Alicia leans out the window and begins warbling into the night.

---

Arright, let's try this again; Feral Whispers, 5 dice; this time I want to summon a few birds if I can; owls, nighthawks, whatever.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Amber Holloway - Survivalist Compound

She tries not to show it, but Amber is getting jittery the longer she is pent up in the cab of that truck with two other vampires, to the point where she's almost pleased at the prospect of running at a group of paranoid gun nuts if it means getting out of the truck.

"Sure thing," she says. She checks her communicator for the last time and slips out of the truck, disappearing before she even hits the ground. She makes her way towards the compound, making sure to stay in the shadow as she draws close to the gate.

Obfuscate 1 Wits + Stealth + Occultation + Obfuscate, and using the extra BP to become invisible (Amber is on 5BP now). I just assumed it worked because her dice pool is pretty high :shobon:

Listening for anything the guards say that could be useful and looking to see if the fence (it's fenced right?) has any weaknesses. Investigation? Larceny?

Amber has Danger sense, if it's applicable.

Auspex 1 to ask are there any supernaturals here other than us?

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
The Compound

Amber's hop out of the truck is almost entirely unnoticed by Leo and Ricky, as she seems to melt with the shadows and disappear. Her approach to the fence is silent as she extends the Beast's senses outward to see if she can pick up anything unusual. What comes across is a smell like overturned earth after a rainstorm mixed with the heady musk of a long abandoned tomb - there was something old and full of death here, though she saw nothing and heard nothing unusual.

The fence she came across was remarkably secure - a guard tower in the middle of the camp which Ricky would have noticed as empty the night before had active, rotating flood lights and at least one guard waiting to see if they could spot anything or anyone approaching - thankfully Amber was thoroughly blanketed by supernatural darkness - the fence itself was at least 10 feet tall, the sort you see outside of prisons, and indeed the top was covered in razor wire - not to mention the regular patrols of guards going back and forth, all business tonight.

It seemed Ricky really stirred up the hornet's nest judging by all the activity, but Amber could probably get in - the patrols were regular, meaning on a timer, meaning there was a gap, all she needed to do was find a decently enshrouded corner, time it properly, and cut a hole in the fence. The problem was getting the boys down to it without being seen...

Alicia's Office

Alicia's call is indeed effective this evening, as the small brown owl from the night previous re-appears, this time flanked with two others who might have been family of her's, given their similar coloring and configuration. It occurred to Alicia that if someone was watching and was not familiar with vampiric Disciplines, the fact that Owls regularly perched outside her window at odd hours of the night might be taken as a somewhat strange observation - but the birds of prey were remarkably good sources of observation - in their own limited, owly way that is.

Patiently they sat, awaiting the Ventrue's questions.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Amber Holloway - Survivalist Compound WP: 5/5 BP: 5/10

"Sheeeeit." She'd whistle, if it didn't attract attention. Crouched in a bush, Amber's eyes follow the guards walking past. Each one that passes looks very alert and very well armed. "Slight problem people. Place is locked up tighter than a Camarilla rear end in a top hat. Patrols everywhere, armed to the loving teeth. Guard tower has fuckin' floodlights and poo poo."

She moves away from the gate, keeping the fence in sight as tries to find any possible weaknesses. "I could maybe cut a hole in the fence and get in. But you're gonna have a hard time getting down here without getting spotted." She frowns. "Maybe you could talk your way in instead?"

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Ricky Fry - The Compound 7bp, 7wp

Ricky has the grace to at least look embarrassed when Amber's message comes through, "Yeah, that's probably my bad. I must have really pissed these guys off."

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Leo Jansen - Survivalist Compound

"Do you have eyes on our target? We need to know where he is and who's with him before we can make any plans." Leo responds with the calm only training and experience can bring. He's in his element, he is an officer, and leading men in combat is what he was born to do.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Amber rolls her eyes at Leo. "How the gently caress am I meant to find our 'target' if I don't know what he looks like?"

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Ricky Fry - The Compound 7bp, 7wp

"That's easy, Big Jim Hoolihan is pretty much a giant, Amber. Just look for the three hundred pound six foot four wall of bearded muscle. He kind of stands out in a crowd."

Ricky also relays the location of Big Jim's apartment as well as the copse of trees he's supposed to be waiting in.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

"Ok, gonna pop around for a look." Amber picks her way carefully around the outside of the compound in the dark until she spots some trees on the inside on the fence, near where Ricky said the apartment was. Waiting for a gap between patrols, she moves up to the fence and scans around for any sight of a... really big guy. As instructed, she also looks around for anyone with him, before moving back away from the fence to the safety of darkness.

Roll Wits + Investigate (7 dice) to see if he's there?

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
The Compound

It's rather difficult to spot a particular person when she hasn't ever met him, Amber realizes, but a big irish guy is at least vaguely obvious.

She isn't sure, but she thinks she sees a man matching that vague description in fatigues, like the rest, up against the tower in the center of the camp. He wasn't moving much, but he was alive as far as Amber could tell.

At least he wasn't up on top of the tower?

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 27, 2014

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Amber's examination of the camp yields results, but not good ones. "Ohhh fuuuuck man. You're not gonna like this. I see a giant dude, but he's sitting right next to the guard tower." Amber shakes her head. "Well poo poo, now what?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Ricky Fry - The Compound 7bp 7wp

"Oh poo poo. poo poo!" Ricky actually shouts that last poo poo out loud. Things were already going wrong and now, Leo was just going to gun down a bunch of dudes. Murderviking.

Still, what else was there to do?

"Leo... what do we do?"

• Locked thread