Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Today California Chrome tries to become the first horse since Affirmed in 1978 to win the United States Triple Crown of Thoroughbred Racing (or simply, the Triple Crown) after having won the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes last month

There are also some undercard races at Belmont Park today, coverage is on now until 4:30pm on NBCSN, and then switches to NBC until the end of the Belmont Stakes itself.

Race winners:
Acorn Stakes: Sweet Reason
Ogden Phipps: Closed Hatches
Longines Just a Game Stakes: Coffee Clique "by a flared nostril"
Metropolitan Handicap: Palace Malice (Winner of last year's Belmont Stakes)
Manhattan Stakes: Real Solution

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

You're a brave man for starting a horse racing thread here, goonspeed.

(I'm watching and have a Pick-4 ticket with Chrome singled)

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Any idea what time the race actually starts? I don't know if I can make it through two more hours of pre-race nonsense.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Lester Shy posted:

Any idea what time the race actually starts? I don't know if I can make it through two more hours of pre-race nonsense.

About 6:45, I think.

Also, OP I believe that second race won by Close Hatches was the Ogden Phipps, not the Ogden Fifths.

I was very excited to see Palace Malice win again. He's a monster of a horse.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 7, 2014

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Lester Shy posted:

6:50 is what they've been saying.

bushes
Nov 6, 2003

Kids running around naked fuckin' in the bushes
Filthy casual sports fans wanting a Triple Crown Winner. True fans apparently give no fucks or something.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

bushes posted:

Filthy casual sports fans wanting a Triple Crown Winner. True fans apparently give no fucks or something.

I want to see a triple crown winner because it's a cool feat to pull off and rarely happens.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Bob Costas is much taller than that jockey he was interviewing, just lording over him there.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

"I want to hear some New York booing" :getin:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Darren Rovell is at the track today, so if he breaks his leg at the race, someone might take him out back and shoot him.

bushes
Nov 6, 2003

anotherblownsave posted:

I want to see a triple crown winner because it's a cool feat to pull off and rarely happens.

Oh I completely agree. Some of the interviews they did of past "spoilers" just came off as odd. I was getting an MMO vibe from how they were using the term casual.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Argh why didn't I use Coffee Clique. Oh well, go Chrome!

Dumb and Dumber (Neumeier and Battaglia) pick Tonalist and Wicked Strong (god I'm so tired of that story, yeah we get it already the Boston Marathon got bombed).

Which brings up this scene from Let It Ride:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VosZzVlqxTg&list=PLJ4EW0TGcLQFMarbSf-9uvynFTcAmDHCY

Moktaro fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 7, 2014

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

I don't think there's a bigger non-horse racing related fan of California Chrome right now than Gary Bettman

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Time to drag some 70s relics out.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Something really stupid is going to happen. I can feel it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Man, when Chrome wins, this thread is going to explode to 3, maybe 4 pages.

I hope the forums can handle the increased traffic :ohdear:

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
"Nobody will ever call this horse a Secretariat.......but, he is a chestnut!"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Sucrose posted:

"Nobody will ever call this horse a Secretariat.......but, he is a chestnut!"

"If you look at him from like a thousand yards away and squint, they're kind of similar! :downs:"

Frank Jr. singing "New York, New York" has got me seriously hype, guys. I want Chrome to win, my wife would flip out. It's been one of her dreams to see a triple crown in her lifetime.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

My head says he's going to tire in the stretch. My heart says he's going to win.

I don't know if I can take this :ohdear: Been waiting for a Triple Crown winner for decades and I haven't been this hyped since Smarty ten years ago.

bushes
Nov 6, 2003

Vertical Lime posted:

I don't think there's a bigger non-horse racing related fan of California Chrome right now than Gary Bettman

I was going to say horse racing would get more fans if the jockeys could check each other but that doesn't help hockey much :v:

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I've noticed during the triple crown races that it doesn't start until the fat man bugles.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Matterhorn looks really uneasy

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Trying to get the NBC stream going in the UK, doesn't seem to be working. Anything else I can use?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Kilonum posted:

Matterhorn looks really uneasy

Chrome, on the other hand, looks bomb proof.

They just gotta get him around that last turn, that's where dreams die. I think Big Brown is still out there somewhere.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
wicked retarded

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
wicked strong doesnt know what the gently caress

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Wicked Strong isn't down with this walking stuff.

I find horse names fascinating and I have no idea why.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Grittybeard posted:

Horse names are hilarious, especially in the lower stakes and maiden races. The owners just don't give a gently caress and name them whatever. (Flip Flop, imacattoo, Secretariat, etc.)

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

I'm at my local track right now (Fairmount Park on the Ill Side of St Louis) and it's packed. Won a bit with Coffee Clique earlier which was fun. I've also got my mother's bets in front of me--she gave me a $20 and told me to put $5 to win on the four best horses that aren't Chrome.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It's obviously too late to get into today's race, but is Bovada the easiest option for US-based people to place sports bets?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Troy Queef posted:

I'm at my local track right now (Fairmount Park on the Ill Side of St Louis) and it's packed. Won a bit with Coffee Clique earlier which was fun. I've also got my mother's bets in front of me--she gave me a $20 and told me to put $5 to win on the four best horses that aren't Chrome.

Hope your mom didn't need that twenty bucks :smug:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Troy Queef posted:

Pretty smart lady.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Eddie Olczyk of NHL on NBC fame is taking Wicked Strong.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
let's go general a rod

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Grittybeard posted:

I think owners have a secret desire for a chance to have the silliest name for a Triple Crown winner. Who wouldn't want to see a horse named General A Rod next to Secretariat and Affirmed?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Poonerman posted:

let's go general a rod

I read this as "General, A Rod" and it cracks me up every time.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

It's not true for Wicked Strong (or California Chrome) but a lot of times the names are a combination of or play on the sire and dam's names, which is why a lot of them are so random-sounding.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

CBJSprague24 posted:

Eddie Olczyk of NHL on NBC fame is taking Wicked Strong.

Well, he hit the trifecta at the Preakness so he certainly knows his ponies.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

How long till one of these prestigious races are sponsored by Elmer's Glue? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Here we go, get dem horses in the post! :getin:

• Locked thread