Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
Stitch is brilliant.

THis is going to be loving awesome.

I feel like im at the top of a rollercoaster

This fight is going to be really hosed up to score.

Ninja PD fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LT.CrownRoast
Mar 20, 2009

by XyloJW
Seems like Lara has them all, so far, from my unprofessional and highly uneducated view point.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Canelo's probably in for a rough night if he doesn't figure something out here.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Ninja PD posted:

This fight is going to be really hosed up to score.

Not thus far. That footwork.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I like dem body shots though

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Nice. A canelo round

LT.CrownRoast
Mar 20, 2009

by XyloJW
39/37 Lara for me

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
This combined with the mayweather fight suggest to me that canelo thinks he is a better pure boxer than he actually is.

Slaine
Feb 26, 2001

Marching Powder posted:

Nice. A canelo round

I'm sure the judges gave him every round so far anyway.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
That was crazy how Lara realized he probably lost the round and just coasted for a minute.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
He coasts but he is looking for that 99th percentile punch.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

close rounds but lara's got to do more if he wants the scorecards

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Man Lara is so obviously bothered by that cut.

I didn't hear, did they rule that was from a punch or a butt?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

Man Lara is so obviously bothered by that cut.

I didn't hear, did they rule that was from a punch or a butt?

Replay suggested it was a punch but I didn't hear the ref say anything

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

much, much uglier fight than i was hoping for, but canelo winning a fight entirely with body shots is pretty cool i guess

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have no idea how to score this fight after 11, which probably means that Lara is winning.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
I thought Trout beat Canelo but I'm fine with him beating Lara tonight. What strange bedfellows.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

buying 1 card is enough

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Fine with Canelo winning but that last scorecard was something.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Marching Powder posted:

buying 1 card is enough

117-111 seems very bad

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

A split decision is fine. That 9-3 split...drat.

LT.CrownRoast
Mar 20, 2009

by XyloJW
117 to 111?

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
Well, that was embarrassing.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Gregor Samsa posted:

117-111 seems very bad

No joke that last score card is huge amounts of bullshit Lara should have won it via split decision. But Golden Boy know their crowd and the result as follows.

Yngvai
Dec 27, 2005
Indeed i am the fastest
What a poo poo fight, enough with this chicken poo poo boxing style, btw: i don't know poo poo about boxing.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I couldn't watch this, did Canelo win a fair fight? Even marginally? Because if so that's pretty cool.

Also, if it was marginal, how close was it compared to the Trout fight? I remember that being super thin.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--it was close, I don't mind Canelo winning

If you want someone to stand toe to toe with you and throw you probably shouldn't sign on to fight Lara.

Man Canelo is a lot saltier than he should be here.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Jack of Hearts posted:

I couldn't watch this, did Canelo win a fair fight? Even marginally? Because if so that's pretty cool.

Also, if it was marginal, how close was it compared to the Trout fight? I remember that being super thin.

i had it 115-113 for canelo with hometown bias built in. 115-113 for lara straight up.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack of Hearts posted:

This felt super thin to me, too. I wouldn't have been surprised by a draw.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

^^--it was close, I don't mind Canelo winning

If you want someone to stand toe to toe with you and throw you probably shouldn't sign on to fight Lara.

Man Canelo is a lot saltier than he should be here.

Because he knows he loving lost. He can't adjust to different styles.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Total bias for Lara as a Cuban-American: I knew that Lara's style would not win him many rounds. It was clear that above the shoulders, Lara was the most accurate puncher. Below, canelo had tons of goods body punches. Everything in between was aggressive move-forward kabuki with punches to the gloves. Refs fall for it, just a fact.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
In retrospect this fight was virtually un winnable for Lara. Canelo was always going to get the benefit of every close round and Lara was never going to stop him or even get a knockdown.

I favor body work more than is warranted by judging criteria but so I had Canelo 115-113 but a draw and the same result for Lara are all reasonable. Queensberry Rules is basically spot in that if Canelo had done more-especially continue to go after the eye after the cut in the 7th round-than it wouldn't be a disputed decision. Conversely if Lara had pressed his speed advantage than he could overcome even the A-side advantage.

Cotto-Canelo has to be a stone lock and I would like to see Angulo-Lara 2 to gauge where they're both at.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
The fight wasn't "unwinnable" for Lara. On paper he was the better boxer and theoretically could have outboxed Alvarez for the decision. That is what I was expecting as a Lara fan.

But Alvarez really impressed me with his power boxing style and even though I scored the fight a draw, there were a few swing rounds and if I had to give the fight to one boxer I would have given it to Alvarez, who pushed the fight all night and was much more effective than I expected him to be. 117-111 wasn't even that outrageous considering how many close rounds there were and Alvarez was the one pressing the fight the whole time. Lara, who I'm a fan of, frankly ran too much for my liking and I'd be hard pressed to give him the decision.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

lara was frustrating bc he looked good when he'd actually work he just didn't do it enough

canelo is surely too big for cotto tho. would fear for cotto if that fight got made

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

thehappyprince posted:

lara was frustrating bc he looked good when he'd actually work he just didn't do it enough

canelo is surely too big for cotto tho. would fear for cotto if that fight got made

i'd be unbelievably down for ggg / canelo though. they're both too big for cotto.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

thehappyprince posted:

The body punching on both sides of that fight would be ridiculous.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Marching Powder posted:

i'd be unbelievably down for ggg / canelo though. they're both too big for cotto.

If Canelo goes after GGG nobody can ever question his machismo credentials ever again.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
So I was actually at the fight last night. I had it 115-113 Lara, but I could see a draw and maybe 115-113 Alvarez. I have no idea where you get 117-111. The only thing I can think of is that he got fooled by the crowd, who were obviously almost entirely in favor of Canelo and went apeshit every time he threw a flurry, even if it was mostly missing or just bouncing off Lara's arms.

I also really hate the narrative Canelo and his camp started pushing after the fight that it was a boring fight because Lara was running and doesn't want to fight like a real man. Maybe he should have thrown a few more punches, but just standing and trading would have been a huge mistake, and he still caught Canelo with more clean hard shots than Canelo seemed to catch him with, especially to the head (Canelo landed some hard body shots but from where I was at I looked like a big chunk of them were mostly blocked). And he also made him look silly swinging at air the whole night. I thought it was really fun to watch him dance away over and over like that, his footwork and quickness were incredible.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 16, 2014

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Hey all, looking to get into watching boxing, but there seems to be a ton of different events on at a time. Anyone know a good site/resource for upcoming major events?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

ceaselessfuture posted:

Hey all, looking to get into watching boxing, but there seems to be a ton of different events on at a time. Anyone know a good site/resource for upcoming major events?

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?page=boxing/schedule/index

The rest of this month's schedule and you can click on other months to look at those.

• Locked thread