Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
If you're trying to get into boxing, make sure you watch the GGG fight on the 28th, that's gonna be real good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Perfect, thanks!

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Prepare to be disappointed in poo poo judging.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Yuriy posted:

If you're trying to get into boxing, make sure you watch the GGG fight on the 28th, that's gonna be real good

26th, just fyi.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Yuriy posted:

26th you mean? I see Geale in the Australian media now and again, does he actually have a chance or is he simply going to get steam rolled by GGG?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Scapegoat posted:

26th you mean? I see Geale in the Australian media now and again, does he actually have a chance or is he simply going to get steam rolled by GGG?

Geale is a great fighter, but I cannot envisage him not dead by round 12

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Geale is about as legit as they get at middleweight. I know a few people who are really big on him (though I don't think any of them are picking him over Golovkin).

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Geale is pretty much the best of the second tier-really anyone ranked in an alphabet top 10 who's not Miguel Cotto or Gennady Golovkin-of middleweights with Matthew Macklin, Felix Sturm, Sam Soliman, Martin Murray, et al. But I really can't see anything other than total domination by Golovkin unless his father's death did messed him up mentally and at least from his media appearances that doesn't seem to be the case.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11x1nk_gennady-golovkin-vs-matthew-macklin_sport - Golovkin-Macklin
http://vimeo.com/78448702 - Golovkin- Curtis Stevens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YulN9sZ1oiA - Geale-Sturm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0FdXQLPig0&t=19s Road to Golovkin-Geale

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 15, 2014

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Marching Powder posted:

Geale is a great fighter, but I cannot envisage him not dead by round 12

That's too bad, was hoping for an Australian boxing win after the Alex Leapai debacle.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

ceaselessfuture posted:

Hey all, looking to get into watching boxing, but there seems to be a ton of different events on at a time. Anyone know a good site/resource for upcoming major events?

90% of big fights happen on Saturday nights, though there are sometimes big fights on in Europe (England and Germany mainly) so those will be on Saturday afternoon (main event usually starting at 3pm-ish MST). Also they've just start having biggish fights in Macau China, those cards starting at God knows what time.

fightnews.com usually has a boxing schedule for the year in its schedule section (their ranking sections will also give you a good idea at how boxing "works" in terms of the multiple champions per division), in the days leading up to big fights the schedule is on the main page along with the time that the card starts to be televised.

Also badlefthook.com is probably the best boxing blog out there.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
After hammering out some purse concerns, Algieri and Pacquiao are reportedly set for 11/22 in Macau. Whoop-dee-loving-doo.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Gregor Samsa posted:

After hammering out some purse concerns, Algieri and Pacquiao are reportedly set for 11/22 in Macau. Whoop-dee-loving-doo.

Jesus loving Christ, boxing is such a joke sometimes (boxing is a joke all of the time). Does this mean that Ruslan Provodnikov is going to be Manny's Andre Berto going forward?

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

ozymandius1024 posted:

Jesus loving Christ, boxing is such a joke sometimes (boxing is a joke all of the time). Does this mean that Ruslan Provodnikov is going to be Manny's Andre Berto going forward?

Andrei Bertov

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Gregor Samsa posted:

who's that

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

The guy who jabbed Provodnikov 12 rounds to a decision victory. Woooooooooooooooooo

Feel the intrigue, boys! Doesn't get better than this!

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
I hope pacquiao gets jabbed and outrun for 12 rounds and loses a lopsided decision so he can gently caress off to go fight the threat of gay abortion in the Philippines or whatever and I don't have to hear Skip Bayless talk about Floyd-Manny ever again.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Gregor Samsa posted:

I hope pacquiao gets jabbed and outrun for 12 rounds and loses a lopsided decision so he can gently caress off to go fight the threat of gay abortion in the Philippines or whatever and I don't have to hear Skip Bayless talk about Floyd-Manny ever again.

Honestly, if it's going to be fights like this one and Rios going forward, then I completely agree. Either fight guys who will make good/exciting fights that people would actually want to watch/pay for, or get the gently caress out.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Who else is Manny going to fight though? I don't get it, people cry about recycled rematches and then they cry about Manny fighting a fresh face who had a huge performance this year. Marquez doesn't want him, Crawford's not a welterweight yet.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

The Ninth Layer posted:

Who else is Manny going to fight though? I don't get it, people cry about recycled rematches and then they cry about Manny fighting a fresh face who had a huge performance this year. Marquez doesn't want him, Crawford's not a welterweight yet.

Nothing amazing, but he's just the lowest of the options I would have thought of (Jessie Vargas, Abregu, even Provodnikov coming off the loss).

I'm mostly bothered that a dude can go from being virtually a non-factor, then beat Ruslan Provodnikov, and fight one of the P4P guys right after that. It's loving ridiculous. I mean, you could probably say many of the same things about Jessie Vargas, but at least we've seen him in with more than one guy of note.

ozymandius1024 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 16, 2014

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Neither Vargas nor Abregu have close to the exposure that Algieri's one big win does, and let's be honest, it's not like either of those guys would be substantially more competitive against Pacquiao than Algieri.

Algieri is an undefeated fighter who just upset a world titleholder, and one that was fairly highly regarded to the point that some people TODAY insist Provodnikov should be undefeated.

Has Jesse Vargas ever even been in a main event? Not that I can remember.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

The Ninth Layer posted:

Neither Vargas nor Abregu have close to the exposure that Algieri's one big win does, and let's be honest, it's not like either of those guys would be substantially more competitive against Pacquiao than Algieri.

Algieri is an undefeated fighter who just upset a world titleholder, and one that was fairly highly regarded to the point that some people TODAY insist Provodnikov should be undefeated.

Has Jesse Vargas ever even been in a main event? Not that I can remember.

Do you at least agree that it will be a lovely fight? I need to be enraged, man.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

The Ninth Layer posted:

Nobody. That doesn't make this fight any more interesting.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

Right... it wasn't a stunning upset, it was a meh fight with a split decision. All those people who insist Provodnikov should be undefeated would rather see Manny fight Provodnikov.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

ozymandius1024 posted:

Do you at least agree that it will be a lovely fight? I need to be enraged, man.

It probably will be, but I'd rather Pacquiao take a lovely fight than no fight at all.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Did Mayweather just brag he hosed T.I's wife at a press conference?

mewse
May 2, 2006

willie_dee posted:

Did Mayweather just brag he hosed T.I's wife at a press conference?

I'm not sure but I do know for sure that Mayweather is definitely not gay.

mewse
May 2, 2006

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tju6pYuq9e4 - he seems to have changed his tune

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Dereck Chisora broke his hand and is out of the Tyson Fury rematch planned for Saturday

http://www.boxingscene.com/chisora-fractures-hand-withdraws-from-fury-rematch--80163

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The guy who replaced Chisora (Ustinov) has been sparring Chisora to prepare him for Fury and supposedly he's a pretty good fighter for a late replacement. If I were Tyson I would be loving pissed at all the fight cancellations.

I'm missing GGG's fight to go to a eedding :( if it wasn't a really good friend of mine I'd probably just skip it. gently caress, if it was my wedding on a GGG fight night I'd reschedule.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

The Ninth Layer posted:

gently caress, if it was my wedding on a GGG fight night I'd reschedule.
Tim Bradley is already married though hahaha

I'm just kidding Ninth Layer. You are good boy.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

So I'm killing time in a hotel room right now, noticed FNF was on. Hey, Mike Lee is fighting! Who is Mike Lee? He was in a Subway commercial or 2. I still didn't know who he was, and for good reason. This is 13th pro fight, and first since 2010.

What I really want to know is, how the hell did he get those Subway commercials?!! Kickass sleazy agent? Bedfellows with someone in the company? I mean it makes no sense :psyduck:

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

balancedbias posted:

So I'm killing time in a hotel room right now, noticed FNF was on. Hey, Mike Lee is fighting! Who is Mike Lee? He was in a Subway commercial or 2. I still didn't know who he was, and for good reason. This is 13th pro fight, and first since 2010.

What I really want to know is, how the hell did he get those Subway commercials?!! Kickass sleazy agent? Bedfellows with someone in the company? I mean it makes no sense :psyduck:

So while everyone's waiting to see just how GGG will make Geale a good boy-I'm picking a mid to late round stoppage like everyone else but I'm not really all that confident about it just because-I'm actually more intrigued by Bryant Jennings and Mike Perez. Jennings doesn't have nearly the power of Deontay Wilder but he's already proven himself against much stiffer competition and isdefinitely more likely of the two of them to have actual staying power since he knows how to win other than just landing bomb right hands. Perez is maybe even more interesting because there's really no telling where his head is. Obviously what he did to Magomed Abdusalamov had a profound effect on him (as you would expect) and he looked totally out of it against Carlos Takam and really should've lost. Abdusalamov seems to be recovering as could be and that might help Perez get back into it a bit. If he's in the right state of mind this seems close to pick 'em but if not Perez probably needs to get out of the sport before he gets hurt badly himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJxANHztmEg - Perez vs Abdusalamov
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjhpoozIcTQ - Jennings vs Artur Spilka
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSUS4WpLj04 - Jennings vs Andrey Fedosov
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXkkuObGr3o - Perez vs Travis Walker

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 26, 2014

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Fury is out of the fight as well.. Family emergency

http://www.lbc.co.uk/fury-pulls-out-of-ustinov-fight-94402

TheCool69 fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jul 26, 2014

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

boxing is cool

mewse
May 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P58WJ-4PxcU

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
Pff Perez won that

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I'm waiting like a good boy.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Tripping on a goddamned camera should get some photographer in trouble.

e: haha, 4 minute round

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

Tripping on a goddamned camera should get some photographer in trouble.

Add the timekeeper to the poo poo list

• Locked thread