Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
I can't see Canelo or Cotto faring very well against GGG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRBass
Apr 25, 2008
I thought GGG became cotto's mandatory with the rubio win?

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

GRBass posted:

I thought GGG became cotto's mandatory with the rubio win?

I think he did but I also think this boxing.

Shear the Sheep
Dec 31, 2008
I believe that Rubio losing the belt on the scales makes the interim belt up for grabs again.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
Is there any particular reason Klitschko isn't taking on Stiverne to get that last belt? He's dominated the heavyweights so long now, he might as well get undisputed recognition before retiring.

Shear the Sheep
Dec 31, 2008

Mr. Belpit posted:

Is there any particular reason Klitschko isn't taking on Stiverne to get that last belt? He's dominated the heavyweights so long now, he might as well get undisputed recognition before retiring.

Stiverne is in talks with Wilder. I believe Klitschko is happy to bide his time, hopefully not kill Briggs and then fight the winner.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Shear the Sheep posted:

Stiverne is in talks with Wilder. I believe Klitschko is happy to bide his time, hopefully not kill Briggs and then fight the winner.

I was about to ask if anyone in the world actually disputes that Klitschko is the top heavyweight in the world, but then I remembered that this is boxing and that people are terrible.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Wlad is probably content to fight Kurbat Pulev types in Europe as opposed to have to gently caress around with Don King (Stiverne) or Al Haymon (Wilder) for something that would generate very little interest even among boxing fans.

God help me I would rather he just fight Briggs than Stiverne right now. Let either he or Wilder look dominant above the other than do the same to Bryant Jennings than we can talk.

Also HBO is ramping things up with a bunch of shows to close out the year-and have apparently added David Lemiuex-Gabriel Rosado to replace the aborted Canelo-Clottey date on December 6th. Showtime look to have their final (and perhaps only) remaining card on the 13th as a counter to Bradley-Chaves

Dan Rafael's twitter posted:

Also, @OscarDeLaHoya says 12/13 @SHOsports good to go: @AmirKingKhan vs @TheRealDevonA. Thurman-TBA & Andrade-Charlo. Good show. #boxing

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/11736825/devon-alexander-amir-khan-bout-nearly-finalized-dec-13-las-vegas

Look for Khan to Virgil Hunter the poo poo out of Devon and be pushed to Mayweather in May because why not.

Shear the Sheep
Dec 31, 2008
Bad News and Good News.

Bad News is Cotto is allowed a voluntary defence of his WBC middleweight belt

Good News is that is will probably be Canelo for the voluntary setting up a Canelo/Cott vs GGG fight sometime next year.

http://www.boxingscene.com/cotto-allowed-voluntary-defense-facing-golovkin--83419

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

The SituAsian posted:

Wlad is probably content to fight Kurbat Pulev types in Europe as opposed to have to gently caress around with Don King (Stiverne) or Al Haymon (Wilder) for something that would generate very little interest even among boxing fans.

God help me I would rather he just fight Briggs than Stiverne right now. Let either he or Wilder look dominant above the other than do the same to Bryant Jennings than we can talk.

Wlad has repeatedly stated he wants to unify the WBC belt. He already tried to secure a a fight for it, actually. He'll almost certainly get a chance in 2015.

And a Klitschko/Briggs fight is a total embarrassment. Briggs is nothing. He was in his prime in the 90s.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Shear the Sheep posted:

Bad News and Good News.

Bad News is Cotto is allowed a voluntary defence of his WBC middleweight belt

Good News is that is will probably be Canelo for the voluntary setting up a Canelo/Cott vs GGG fight sometime next year.

http://www.boxingscene.com/cotto-allowed-voluntary-defense-facing-golovkin--83419

This is great if they can pull it off. Truthfully Golovkin is closer to a junior middleweight than a super middleweight. And a Cotto/Alvarez fight is maybe the second most attractive fight to be made that could be made in boxing. I'd have to imagine that it's a fight Canelo wins decisively.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Cigar Aficionado posted:

This is great if they can pull it off. Truthfully Golovkin is closer to a junior middleweight than a super middleweight. And a Cotto/Alvarez fight is maybe the second most attractive fight to be made that could be made in boxing. I'd have to imagine that it's a fight Canelo wins decisively.

I think GGG has said in the past that he could make 154 if necessary.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

GGG should just keep fighting where he's fighting and destroying everything in the world instead of dropping extra weight.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

CommonShore posted:

GGG should just keep fighting where he's fighting and destroying everything in the world instead of dropping extra weight.

I think the idea was that he could do it for a big $$ fight, not as a permanent shift in weight class. For example, if Floyd suddenly became Bizarro Floyd and wanted to fight GGG. Or if Canelo or Cotto would only fight him at 154.

Shear the Sheep
Dec 31, 2008
I think his camp has said anyone from 154-168 they will take on. Andre Ward wants to fight Golovkin but Andre Ward can't get in the ring

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
how would ward fare against golovkin? i've never seen the man fight.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Probably pretty drat well. Andre Ward can actually box on the inside unlike most of the guys Golovkin has fought. I think he'd be really tricky for Golovkin on the outside too. Really there's nothing about Golovkin that makes me think he would beat Ward in a decision fight, and it's tough for me to imagine even Golovkin's hard punches finding a clean spot to land on Ward to knock him out.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
Well, looks like Martin Murray will be the next one up to be fed to Golovkin. Goodnight sweet prince!

Shear the Sheep
Dec 31, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

Probably pretty drat well. Andre Ward can actually box on the inside unlike most of the guys Golovkin has fought. I think he'd be really tricky for Golovkin on the outside too. Really there's nothing about Golovkin that makes me think he would beat Ward in a decision fight, and it's tough for me to imagine even Golovkin's hard punches finding a clean spot to land on Ward to knock him out.

I think it would a very highly contested fight. 345-5 (Golovkin's Amateur Record) is enough evidence for me to believe that Ward would have a lot more trouble trying to control the pace of the fight or spacing against Golovkin like he has in the past. This would be an epic match in my opinion.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

gwan murray

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Murray is pretty basic but he's huge for a middleweight and I don't think ever seen him hurt so it'll be interesting to see how Golovkin goes about it

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

lionel getting the excuses in early. vintage lionel.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I don't like Golovkin anymore mate, he's too mainstream now.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
It's too bad 160 is so thin of talent, because these fights GGG is taking are all lateral moves against 2nd level guys. There are no big name guys left in the division besides Cotto, who's really a welterweight and would get annihilated by Golovkin. Saul Alvarez is another possibility, but he's average sized at 154. Too bad Dmitry Pirog's career was derailed by injuries. He was the only middleweight in the last few years who looked potentially dominant.

I really hope a Golovkin/Ward can be made one day. Assuming Floyd retires next year, a fight between Golovkin and Ward could annoint the next P4P #1 fighter in the world.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Video-Mike-Tyson-Reveals-He-was-Sexually-Abused-as-a-Child-76533#cDIOIgFBSgUsqj0G.01

quote:

Legendary boxer Mike Tyson revealed during a radio interview this week that he was sexually abused as a child while growing up in Brooklyn, N.Y.

The topic came up during a portion of the SiriusXM's Opie Radio show, where Tyson was discussing his rough upbringing.

The 48-year-old said he was 7 when the incident occurred and went on to describe the incident when further questioned by the hosts.

“He snatched me off the street, I was a little kid, [he was an] old man. [He] bullied me, sexually abused me and stuff,” Tyson said. “Never seen him again.”

Tyson said he eventually managed to escape the molestation, but never told anyone, including the authorities, about the sexual abuse.

“I just went on with my life,” he said. “I don't always remember, but maybe I do but I don't. I'm not ashamed or embarrassed by it.”

The former world champion is currently making the media rounds to promote his new animated series “Mike Tyson Mysteries” on Cartoon Network.

Dr. Miracle
Feb 13, 2008

born to shart

Yuriy posted:

The former world champion is currently making the media rounds to promote his new animated series “Mike Tyson Mysteries” on Cartoon Network.

I can't process this.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Dr. Miracle posted:

I can't process this.

The first mystery they solve involves Cormac McCarthy and a Chupacabra. It's awesome.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'd say make a new thread, it's a good way to get some views.

Hopkins-Kovalev is on my birthday so every good fight added to that card is a great birthday present for me! Considering going out to AC for the fight even if it's on the other side of the country.

Poor Rosado, he's been thrown in with just about everybody now.

Are you going? My friend and I are thinking about booking tickets and a hotel today. The fight is the weekend of my birthday as well.

Is anyone familiar with Boardwalk Hall? How would seats be in the 200 sections (ex 207). There is no reason to wait and buy them there, right? Is there a secondary market?

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und
yo everybody watch last weekend's javier fortuna fight right now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDsfhn5_dMQ

it's only five rounds and something ridiculous happens basically every thirty seconds. i'm surprised godzilla does not attack the stadium.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

lol fire that ref and cotto's cornerman into the sun

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

TresTristesTigres posted:

yo everybody watch last weekend's javier fortuna fight right now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDsfhn5_dMQ

it's only five rounds and something ridiculous happens basically every thirty seconds. i'm surprised godzilla does not attack the stadium.

Hahahahaahahaha Cotto's head hits the loving camera in round 2

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Ribsauce posted:

Are you going? My friend and I are thinking about booking tickets and a hotel today. The fight is the weekend of my birthday as well.

Is anyone familiar with Boardwalk Hall? How would seats be in the 200 sections (ex 207). There is no reason to wait and buy them there, right? Is there a secondary market?

No, I couldn't get the appropriate arrangements together in time. I've got tickets to the Bradley-Chaves fight in December instead as a consolation prize, assuming that fight is still happening (I've been hearing talk that Chaves is holding out for more money).

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

This fight needs to be seen to be believed.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jesus Christ this loving ref.

Guys hopelessly tied up? Yell PUNCH OUT for 10 seconds before yelling STOP, then wait a second and yell BREAK. Don't actually bother to break them up, just yell it. Hell you could probably argue that's half of why things got so dirty/confused.

e: Well I guess that's the point, but even before his first real gently caress up I hated him.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 4, 2014

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

incredible

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
that is the greatest referee performance I've seen since Gainer/Norwood, the part where he gives a count for blows to the back of the head then immediately takes a point away is fantastic

Shear the Sheep
Dec 31, 2008

That dive was amazing. That ref was amazing. Overall just amazing.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm genuinely intrigued by and excited for Hopkins-Kovalev in a way that I haven't been for just about any other fight this year.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
My brain says Hopkins will lose and retire.

But my heart still holds out hope that B-Hop'll pull a stunner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Mr. Belpit posted:

My brain says Hopkins will lose and retire.

But my heart still holds out hope that B-Hop'll pull a stunner.

You don't think we could get both of those at once and Hopkins will finally get a disqualification?

• Locked thread