Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

We’ve heard plenty in recent years about a “changing of the guard” happening in boxing, but it hasn’t happened yet. If anything we’re instead seeing a constant affirmation of the legacies of older, established fighters. Guys on the back end of their thirties, or even their forties, are still dominating younger foes and cementing their legacies as great fighters, perhaps even all-time great fighters. This year we’ve already seen Juan Manuel Marquez, Wladimir Klitschko, Bernard Hopkins, Floyd Mayweather, Manny Pacquiao, and Carl Froch vanquish tough young challengers to keep on winning. They were the top dogs half a decade ago, and they’re still on top of the boxing world today.

Age simply isn’t the factor it used to be in boxing, thanks to a combination of factors such as fighters taking longer times between their fights, improvements in strength and conditioning practices, changes in nutrition and overall health, and the abundance of video footage available for older, savvier fighters to dissect. There are certainly fighters whose careers flare bright and then fizzle out early, but at the truly elite level we’ve seen skill prevail over will again and again. Elite fighters reach the top and then find ways to stay there, learning new techniques to keep them away from harm or to put them in the perfect position to do their own damage.

Ten years ago did anyone think that Floyd Mayweather would stay undefeated well into the next decade and become the biggest draw in the history of the sport? Or that Bernard Hopkins would break the record for the oldest man to win a world championship, only to go on to win even more titles in his weight class? Or that Wladimir Klitschko would put away everyone in front of him, shutting out heavyweights who may have become champions in other eras? Did anyone predict that Juan Manuel Marquez would go on to become one of the greatest Mexican fighters in history, dwarfing the accomplishments of his contemporaries Erik Morales and Marco Antonio Barrera? Who predicted that Carl Froch would take on opponent after opponent in the top ten of his division and pick up only two losses across years of hard fights? Could anyone predict that in 2014 Manny Pacquiao would dominate a top-5 pound-for-pound fighter in his prime?

These are fighters that will go down as not only the greatest fighters of this era, but perhaps the greatest of their respective countries. Mayweather undeniably has a case as one of the greatest fighters of all time by now, and the same might be said for Hopkins if he can unify titles against Adonis Stevenson and Sergey Kovalev. Marquez’ consistent accomplishments surely rank him up there with Julio Cesar Chavez in the pantheon of Mexican legends, and his rival Pacquiao is without dispute the best Filipino boxer (and perhaps the best Asian boxer period) who has ever lived. Froch’s long list of tough challenges and hard-fought victories gives him a stronger record, if not a prettier one, than his contemporary Joe Calzhage. And Wladimir Klitschko is on his way to beating Joe Louis’ record of heavyweight title defenses, even if he has some years to go.

We are witnessing an era of legendary fighters who by now are simply putting the punctuation marks on their careers. If these fighters lost tomorrow they would still be remembered as the bosses of this era. But if this year is any indication of the future, the sport’s aging elites aren’t going anywhere quite so soon. If any of them will be knocked off their perch, it’ll likely be done by one of the others.

---

Saturday, June 7th
HBO Pay-Per-View
Sergio “Maravilla” Martinez vs Miguel Cotto - 160 lb middleweight world championship

Speaking of two legends getting it on, it’s hard to ignore the absolute quality of talent in this main event. Sergio Martinez and Miguel Cotto have been considered top-shelf fighters for years, even if their career paths have followed vastly different courses. For both men this match is a chance to create a lasting impression of legacy. Cotto intends to fight for a chance at becoming the first Puerto Rican fighter to win a world title in four weight classes; Martinez hungers for a win over a great opponent to punctuate his strong accomplishments at middleweight. I feel that this match is a true crossroads fight. The winner of this one will go on to do bigger and better things, and will likely be mentioned as one of the greatest of this era among some of the others I’ve previously mentioned. The loser of this fight will have trouble clawing his way back into relevance, and may possibly retire outright.

Miguel Cotto was always a huge star in the sport, but recent years have eroded the aura of invincibility which characterized his career at lightweight (135 lb) and welterweight (154 lb). Devastating losses against Antonio Margarito and Manny Pacquiao showed a vulnerability to Cotto that hadn’t yet been seen in his earlier fights, and losses against Floyd Mayweather and Austin Trout at super welterweight raised doubts about Cotto’s continued relevance in the sport. But in between tough losses, Cotto has rebounded with some memorable moments, including a dominant revenge victory over Margarito and a valiant showing against Floyd Mayweather. These performances, along with his recent comeback win against Delvin Rodriguez, have kept Cotto and his considerable talent in the spotlight.

Sergio “Marravilla” Martinez, the current middleweight champion of the world, hasn’t taken a loss since his first fight against Paul “The Punisher” Williams, which many felt was a disputable, closely contested war. From there he went on to take the middleweight world title from Kelly Pavlik and has held firm against several tough challengers since, dispatching world-class competitors such as Darren Barker and Sergei Dzinziruk with style, and even knocking out Williams with just one clean left hook in their anticipated rematch. But in recent fights a lot of Sergio’s luster has seemed to fade. It was especially noticeable in bouts against Matthew Macklin, in which Martinez lost most of the early rounds but rallied to stop the fight, and against Martin Murray, who pressured a shopworn Martinez and made for a close and somewhat controversial bout that Martinez ended up edging. Despite strong wins against worthy challengers, Maravilla has simply never caught on as a huge star in the sport, and in the twilight of his career, it may be too late to change that.

Both fighters come into this one with big question marks. A few years ago I think almost everyone would call Martinez the favorite to win, and he’s certainly still the favorite now, but the Murray bout, and that final round of the Julio Cesar Chavez fight before it, raised a ton of questions into the state of Martinez’ physical condition. In the buildup to this fight, Sergio Martinez mentioned that he has been in nearly constant pain, training hard through injuries. It’s well-known that he required shoulder surgery after the Murray bout, explaining his long absence from the ring, but it remains to be seen to what extent he has recovered from his injuries, or even if he has recovered at all.

Miguel Cotto, meanwhile, has never fought in the middleweight (160 lb) division. In fact, he made his name all the way down at lightweight (135 lb) and has slowly worked his way up weight classes, taking some good wins and bad losses at welterweight (147 lb) and some less good wins and less bad losses at super welterweight (154 lb). His last fight against Delvin Rodriguez saw a return to form for Cotto, who recently began training with Freddie Roach at the Wild Card Gym in Los Angeles. By all accounts, Cotto and Roach have a great working relationship, and the talk coming out of their camp is enthusiastic and confident. That might change quickly, once Cotto starts tasting the flush shots of a veteran, heavy-handed middleweight.

Regardless of where these two men are in their careers, this match is a true clash of quality and talent. Miguel Cotto and Sergio Martinez have never been in dull fights; they’ve been some of the most consistently entertaining fighters in recent years. There are enough variables in play for this matchup to where there’s no telling how it’s going to go. If I had to point out three things to watch for, it’d be:

• Left hooks by both fighters — Both Miguel Cotto and Sergio Martinez are well-known for their powerful left hooks. Martinez fights out of a southpaw stance and his left hook is his go-to power punch, the same punch that sent Williams sleeping. He’ll be trying to bait Cotto into openings where he can land the punch. Cotto is also a left-handed fighter, but unlike Martinez he fights in an orthodox stance. His power hand is his lead left, and he’s comfortable using his left hook to the head or body. Expect him to go for Martinez’ gut early and often in an attempt to slow the older fighter down.
  • Who controls the center of the ring — I think this will be one of the biggest tells in terms of who is having their way this fight. As both Cotto and Martinez are boxer-punchers, expect a lot of shifts in who the aggressor is at any given time. Martinez is a classic “slick” southpaw, and loves to use footwork and upper body movement to set himself up for good offensive angles. He’s a fighter who is comfortable fighting in the center of the ring. Cotto might try to make Martinez uncomfortable, force him to rely on his old legs, and ideally trap Martinez along the ropes to rough him up. Or Cotto could choose to fight a tactical, measured mid-ranged fight, much like he did against Shane Mosley to good effect. Either way I suspect that the fighter who can consistently assert himself in the center of the ring will have a huge edge in this match.
  • Power vs volume — Martinez and Cotto are both deservedly well-known for being hard punchers who always show up in great condition, but there are definitely differences in the two fighters’ abilities. Sergio Martinez has been knocking out middleweights for years and showed enough power to keep even iron-chinned Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. in check. With Cotto moving up in weight from super welterweight (154 lb) to middleweight (160 lb), it’s hard to see Miguel as the more powerful puncher between the two. If that is indeed the case, Miguel Cotto would be well-suited to shine in a different category. I think he’ll try to be the more active fighter, forcing his older foe to keep a taxing pace through twelve rounds.

My Prediction: No matter what the outcome is, this is going to be a dynamic, increasingly tense match up to its very conclusion. I think we’re going to see a very tactical opening round, with neither man really pressing the action as they feel out their opponent with jabs. Miguel Cotto will probably be the first to ratchet up the intensity of the action with combination punching and body attacks to wear Sergio down for later. Martinez is always happy to have a foe willing to risk his counter-punches, and I think he’ll try to land a big one on Cotto. I suspect that despite being the smaller man with less reach on his punches, Cotto will prefer a mid-range approach to an all-out inside assault, as he’ll probably want at least some moving room between himself and Martinez. If he can get Martinez up against the ropes we’ll see him rough up the champion much as he roughed up Floyd Mayweather in the middle rounds of that fight. If Cotto does take an all-out pressure approach, though, I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see Sergio stand his ground and trade with Cotto to assert his presumed advantage in punching power. I think that punching power is going to be the difference in the fight. I don’t usually go for KO predictions, but this time I have a strong gut feeling that we’re going to see a return of the Martinez shot that iced Paul Williams back in 2010.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Reserved for p4p list & other stuff.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The SituAsian posted:

Fantastic as usual 9th but I would like to do some extended write ups (feature fighters, maybe Canelo-lara) to sharpen my writing mostly as time allows.

And goddamn Andy Lee

We could trade off or something on the OP if you'd like haha. I'm also more than willing to put anything you write up into the OP later.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Well uhh yeah I guess Sergio wasn't bluffing about all those injuries in camp. Cotto looking like a beast here too.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Jiro posted:

Why is Martinez wearing Shaq's short shorts?

Edit: What injuries?

Martinez said in some pre - fight videos that throughout training camp he was in nearly constant pain. I've been hoping that he was exaggerating :(

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Cotta - Canelo next I think.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I think Provo will be calling out Bradley for a rematch. The fight makes a ton of sense for both guys right now imo.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I've been there three times. First was Rios-Antillon, second was Rios-Alvarado I and the third was Bradley-Provodnikov. It's a fantastic arena where there isn't a bad seat in the house (and some really good ones to be had for cheap). Makes me wish I was still living in LA.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Geale is about as legit as they get at middleweight. I know a few people who are really big on him (though I don't think any of them are picking him over Golovkin).

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Who else is Manny going to fight though? I don't get it, people cry about recycled rematches and then they cry about Manny fighting a fresh face who had a huge performance this year. Marquez doesn't want him, Crawford's not a welterweight yet.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Neither Vargas nor Abregu have close to the exposure that Algieri's one big win does, and let's be honest, it's not like either of those guys would be substantially more competitive against Pacquiao than Algieri.

Algieri is an undefeated fighter who just upset a world titleholder, and one that was fairly highly regarded to the point that some people TODAY insist Provodnikov should be undefeated.

Has Jesse Vargas ever even been in a main event? Not that I can remember.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

ozymandius1024 posted:

Do you at least agree that it will be a lovely fight? I need to be enraged, man.

It probably will be, but I'd rather Pacquiao take a lovely fight than no fight at all.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The guy who replaced Chisora (Ustinov) has been sparring Chisora to prepare him for Fury and supposedly he's a pretty good fighter for a late replacement. If I were Tyson I would be loving pissed at all the fight cancellations.

I'm missing GGG's fight to go to a eedding :( if it wasn't a really good friend of mine I'd probably just skip it. gently caress, if it was my wedding on a GGG fight night I'd reschedule.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Oh my loving god. I heard it was a third round TKO last night and I was absolutely glowing. Saw the punch this morning. I'm pretty sure it was Confucious who said you can't spoil a knockout!!!

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I have a feeling a few more middleweights are going to jump ship to Showtime after that showing.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Sounds like Froch-Chavez Jr. is on tap for January, rumor has it the fight is being negotiated and will probably be pay-per-view. I can't type out the word "war" enough times to properly convey my excitement for this fight so let me instead say that I think Chavez is a surprisingly live dog in the fight and has a good chance of finishing this one early if he shows up in any kind of shape. That's a pretty big if, granted, but Froch's defense isn't remarkable and Chavez has a solid enough chin to keep from getting Groves'd. I don't think the Cobra at this stage in his career can avoid the pressure Jr. brings for all twelve rounds. Maybe I'm giving the kid too much credit though, I still wouldn't bet on Chavez unless the odds were really good.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The thing is I have a hard time picturing Froch going in on Julio like he did on Bute and I think that's what it would take to send Chavez home. As you guys acknowledge we haven't seen his chin tested at 168 yet though.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

He's clearing out the division in preparation for his move up, I think. If Canelo takes out Kirkland he'll have silenced everyone in the division apart from Mayweather and perhaps Lara, both rematches that people aren't really clamoring for in any case. Then he can move up to middleweight with a lot of credibility as Cotto's challenger. There's nobody else at 154 aside from Carlos Molina who make for an even more ugly PPV fight than Lara did.

BLH reporting that Cotto has MSG already booked for December so this could be a case of him taking a stay-busy fight that builds a big money fight between him and Alvarez in June. Cotto's got a ton of options for fights worth huge money with Mayweather, Pacquiao, Alvarez or even GGG next year so realistically he probably will want to take a tune-up somewhere around the middleweight limit while the networks and promoters explore options in the meantime.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Ward wins more widely in my opinion. Kessler had a good showing last year against Froch but I don't think it was enough to suggest he's beating one of the best boxers in the world.

I didn't even watch the Garcia-Salka fight over streams because I knew it would be an embarrassment to the sport. It was a big tip-off to the quality of that fight when even the sanctioning bodies didn't want to call it a title fight.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm surprised that much money is being put down on anything related to Quillin. Is this Kid Chocolate's first televised main event? I can't remember him ever fighting above co-feature.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The Mayweather-Maidana II All Access episode came out on youtube the other day. I've gotta say, this was probably the worst 24/7-style take on any fight I've ever seen, and arguably an embarrassment to the entire sport. Mayweather was executive producer and it shows throughout the episode; what good footage there is here is lost within the ridiculous effort put into making Floyd look like a Cool Guy. Maidana's son is visiting and he takes him to a helicopter rental company, a nice scene between father and son that is immediately followed by Mayweather taking a Vegas helicopter himself, something he apparently does all the time and without fear because he's So Cool. Here's a fun drinking game: drink every time the episode tries too hard to prove that Floyd is a Ladies' Man who bangs a lot of women. Be sure to have a second bottle ready to go. The whole program reeks of insecurity and frankly gives even more ammo to the crowd that has been calling Floyd closeted. I shudder to think of prospective boxing fans seeing this episode; someone who had never heard of Floyd Mayweather before would be less likely to buy the fight after seeing this half hour of garbage.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

isn't this his entire schtick? the one that made him worth more than most countries?

It's been done better in the past. This was the shittiest program I've ever seen Floyd involved in (granted I didn't watch his self-made documentary). I don't know if it's him being a part of the production or maybe just Showtime sucking way worse than HBO at making a good episode storyline.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Gregor Samsa posted:

He's always been listed as a producer, I think going all the way back to his later 24/7's but definitely on all of the All Access episodes. You're the 3rd person I've heard say that this iteration of All Access is the worst one yet, but who knows why. I don't doubt it though, and have no intention of watching this poo poo.

To give you an idea of how bad this was, this episode has the same format of Floyd on a couch talking trash about his opponent. But this time around there's someone else on the couch with him: some random trash blonde who we don't even get the name of.

There's a segment in the episode which is literally the narrator going "A lot of people think it's bad to have sex before fights. He disagrees, which is why he has a lot of sex every fight." Then footage of Mayweather at a yoga class talking about how important it is to have strong women around so he can have sex with them. His girlfriend comes on at one point and goes "oh, that's Floyd, he just loves having lots of sex with women, I don't have a problem with it."

There's an extended bit with what looked to me like Mayweather giving a sex-doll to one of his crew. I'm assuming that's what it was because the youtube video was blurred. It goes on for around 2 minutes with them making lewd jokes about the gift. The lead-in for this scene is a "Floyd is a very generous man who treats his friends very well" narration.

There's a "Floyd is a great father" bit where the camera interviews his kids and asks them what they learned from their dad, naturally "hard work" being the lesson. His son who "was three when Floyd had his last rematch, with Jose Luis Castillo" is naturally now watching that fight (Mayweather-Castillo II) on his cell phone like he got put up to it by the cameras.

I could go on. The whole episode smells like Floyd setting up his own bits and then nobody on the crew being brave enough (or caring enough) to tell him no. Floyd was always a big guy at HBO but he was never the biggest guy; 24/7 was an HBO show first and foremost. They touched on a lot of the elements I listed here but always more subtly and usually in a humanizing way, rather than a dehumanizing one. Even something like Floyd taking a duffel bag of money to bet on a sports game made him look like a regular guy who just happened to be really rich and talented. Here there's nothing real, it all feels like Floyd wrote the episode himself. No mention (at least that I can remember) of his uncle or father at all in the video, very little footage of Mayweather working hard in the gym. Very little discussion of the fight itself, either moments of the first fight or the rematch. Hilariously, "the beef with 50" gets mentioned for all of 5 seconds so Floyd can ask what music 50 Cent came out with recently.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The SituAsian posted:

Has anyone seen Kenny Porter lately?

Also, Quillin dropped the belt and a payday like 3 times more than he could ever hope to get elsewhere because Matt Korobov is simply a terrifying force of nature who cannot be stopped, only contained. Also in before he thought he was going to have to fight Kovalev

http://www.boxingscene.com/peter-quillin-vacates-wbo-title-roc-nation-comments--81785

EDIT: Supposedly he vacated to go after Danny Jacob's interim WBA belt or whatever. Also, tinfoil theories abound that the fix is in for Soliman-Taylor and Quillin will just crush Taylor and get another belt that way.

Retarded. I have no idea why he would do this because it makes virtually no business sense. Danny Jacobs is pretty much the only guy Quillin can fight with any kind of credibility now. Is this some sort of master plan by Al Haymon? If so I'm not seeing it.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

ozymandius1024 posted:

I didn't think too much of it at the time, but do you think this is Al Haymon's way of keeping Roc Nation Sports out of his business? I seriously can't think of many logical reasons why he would have Quillin do something this dumb.

If that's the case then it sucks for Quillin. Dude isn't exactly a draw or a huge earner and aside from Jacobs or maybe Canelo he doesn't really have anyone to fight either. Interestingly, Golden Boy has asked for an extension to decide whether or not they are making this fight and was apparently given it, so the match could still happen.

On a related discussion Showtime's second half of the year has been abysmal. It's sad that Broner and Matthysse on the same card is probably the worst of several boxing shows this weekend. I'm assuming the plan for fall was to put guys on cards together to build up fights between them for next year? If so it seems like a poor strategy for the fans. Broner-Matthysse, for example, doesn't need a few tune-ups to hype, it's already a big fight. I can't think of a single appealing Showtime fight coming up.

With Hopkins apparently jumping back to HBO with little issue, I'm curious to see which other Golden Boy fighters (that are free from Haymon) cross over. I think there are a lot of big fights that Canelo could make with HBO guys, especially if he makes the jump to middleweight.

Speaking of Hopkins the fight I'm most excited about coming up is Hopkins-Kovalev. Curious about what some of your thoughts are. My thinking on it is that Hopkins is really hard to hit flush and really tough to beat an in inside fight. Krusher's best chance is probably at range, I don't think he'll be able to walk Hopkins down and batter him like he's done other challengers. My gut says Hopkins by decision here; if B-hop does win then he's a top-10 ATG in my book.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Lionel Richie posted:

It would be a decent fight and easily makeable, the only issue being Matchroom have done a terrible job with Quigg. It's embarrassing they're parading that belt of his around like it's a legit world title without ever mentioning Rigondeaux, and he still can't draw flies to poo poo. McGuigan got a lot of poo poo for pulling Frampton off Sky, but I suppose he's been proven right in the end.

Speaking of Rigo, I googled him to see what he was up to seeing as he's in between promoters:

quote:

• With music mogul Jay Z's Roc Nation Sports new on the boxing promotion scene and looking to sign fighters, it made an offer to unified junior featherweight champion Guillermo Rigondeaux (14-0, 9 KOs), whose contract with Top Rank recently expired (although he is still with co-promoter Caribe Promotions). The offer, however, was withdrawn last week because of difficulties dealing with Caribe, which is basically a promoter in name only. According to the Rigondeaux camp, British promoter Frank Warren has also made an offer. Rigondeaux has a mandatory defense due next against Chris Avalos (24-2, 18 KO).

http://espn.go.com/blog/dan-rafael/post/_/id/10315/notes-rigondeaux-dirrell-more

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

fatherdog posted:

My thoughts vis-a-vis Hopkins are, regardless of what he says, he's not going to take a fight unless he sees a specific strategy for winning. So if he's willing to fight Kovalev at all, it's because he's got a plan where he thinks he can win. So if you're going to try to predict Hopkins winning or losing, you have to assume that HE thinks he can win, and balance A) the fact that every top boxer always thinks they can win, because you can't be a top guy without having a ridiculously high opinion of yourself, and B) the fact that Hopkins has forgotten more about boxing than most of us will ever know.

I mostly agree with this, but I think you're not giving Hopkins enough credit for being a fight-all-comers guy. There's nobody at LHW he hasn't either fought or tried to fight.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I missed the Broner fight but I'm glad to hear it was a good one. Think it's interesting that he called out Matthysse instead of, say, the Mayweather-Maidana winner. I don't think I've heard Broner mention Maidana's name since the loss, it doesn't sound at all like that's a rematch he has on his radar.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Hey SituAsian, want to write up the Mayweather GDT thread?

We're about a week out and I'm starting to get the hype bug. Maidana is a bigger underdog than the first time around IMO, Floyd seems to have all the advantages here including the knowledge of how dangerous Maidana can be now. Still, nobody besides Castillo has ever gotten a second crack at Mayweather before. Maidana will have gained confidence and lost respect for Floyd since the first match and he should have a better idea of how to pace himself. Chino is one of a handful of guys that can turn it up in a fight at will if he's motivated; he can probably steal rounds and even catch Floyd by surprise throughout, much as he did in their first fight. Mayweather isn't getting any younger too.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Gregor Samsa posted:

http://www.badlefthook.com/2014/9/9/6129975/floyd-mayweather-on-ray-rice-worse-things-happen-not-caught-on-video

Floyd offers his opinion on Ray Rice, concludes that worse things happen all the time but just aren't caught on video. Like, say, things Floyd does.

:ughh:

The lack of self-awareness here is staggering. It's to the point where I'm a boxing fan and even I'm thinking twice about supporting this fight.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'd say make a new thread, it's a good way to get some views.

Hopkins-Kovalev is on my birthday so every good fight added to that card is a great birthday present for me! Considering going out to AC for the fight even if it's on the other side of the country.

Poor Rosado, he's been thrown in with just about everybody now.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The sparring sessions were disgusting and probably not legal. Then again I'm not a fighter so maybe I just don't "get" gym mentality... but watching that footage, no wonder the Money Team fighters besides Floyd suck rear end. Guys like J'Leon Love are probably getting knocked out constantly in that gym, I can't imagine it's helping them out more than it's hurting them.

I don't see NSAC doing more than giving Floyd a fine of some kind, if that.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

http://www.badlefthook.com/2014/9/23/6833457/canelo-alvarez-and-golden-boy-to-announce-multi-fight-deal-with-hbo

Canelo is soon to sign a multi-fight deal with HBO, starting with a match against Joshua Clottey to close out the year. This is a pretty big story as it marks the end of the Golden Boy / Top Rank feud, and it's a big blow to Showtime having lost one of the biggest stars in the sport. Canelo-Cotto is an obvious match to make in early May and I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually saw Canelo-GGG next year as well.

I don't know exactly what the impact will be for other fighters, though. Certainly this doesn't mean anything for a Pacquiao-Mayweather fight as Mayweather is associated with Al Haymon now. HBO hasn't patched anything up with Haymon and I think it's unlikely we'll see his fighters show up on their network anytime soon. As an aside, ESPN's Dan Rafael reports that as many as 120 fighters are signed up with Haymon today. That's a lot of talent locked down by one guy.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

According to this ESB interview, the 925k buys put out by some sources for Mayweather-Maidana 2 were inflated and the actual numbers fell somewhere closer to 770k.

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/2014/rick-glaser-talks-mayweathermaidana/

I don't know how credible Rick Glaser is as the source.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah there have been rumors about it since July. It's a huge story and probably explains why guys like Broner, Guerrero, Khan, Quillin and Wilder have either taken easy fights lately or been shelved completely.

It's a good idea in theory and it could bring a lot of attention to the sport but personally I think we'll end up with a bunch of showcase fights on NBC Sports / NBC proper, as has been Al Haymon's style for the last 8 years or so.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm going to throw a corner stool Zab Judah style.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I saw that Chad Dawson got robbed. I was always a fan of his, seems like he's at the end of the line.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Okay that one's got to be fake.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I hope Canelo wins against Cotto because I realistically don't see Miguel stepping in against Golovkin any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Probably pretty drat well. Andre Ward can actually box on the inside unlike most of the guys Golovkin has fought. I think he'd be really tricky for Golovkin on the outside too. Really there's nothing about Golovkin that makes me think he would beat Ward in a decision fight, and it's tough for me to imagine even Golovkin's hard punches finding a clean spot to land on Ward to knock him out.

• Locked thread