Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

massive spider posted:

He shouldnt have, because its prudent to send a few to test what would happen. Which was validated when a huge scythe dropped and wiped off everyone on the wall.

Here's my only problem with the tactics: Why the gently caress didn't they get a whole line of those giants with longbows, and give them plenty of ammo?

They could have just nuked the entire top of the wall from the looks of it.

Sri.Theo posted:

Can all the people who claim deaths are obvious please post their lists for the next episode in advance?

Some people seem to think 'telegraphing' is when you can tell someone will die in the same scene, which is perfectly fine. Not everything has to be a Scream style shock death

I'll take it on trust that you haven't read the books

The second I saw the little kid pick up a longbow, after he mentioned he was a good archer, I had an instant feeling I knew EXACTLY where it was going. I even blurted out "Oh boy, he's going to kill her, isn't he?"

However, I would like to point out that kid is now the single most successful, if not only successful, avenging son on the show. He killed the woman that killed his parents and he did it in a single season, all topped off with a sweet "gently caress yeah, got your back" nod.

In fact her death scene trying to be sad just didn't work for me because of that. I was instead going "Yeah, she kinda deserved that." The kid was the hero there; she'd just murdered like 30 more Crows this episode alone so I couldn't really feel all too bad even if she was going to be soft on John.. which she probably wasn't.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jun 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Oddity posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnfYj-cHM5c

Definitely check them out! Also, the lead gal is cute as gently caress.*

If you have braincells to add 2+2 DO NOT watch the Stark PT2 video. HUGE motherfucking spoiler, before the part where spoilers were supposed to happen. Holy fuckballs I'm kind of mad I watched any of that now, despite finding a ton of the stuff really awesome back story. That was just a ... massive, massive oversight.

A spoiler on what the spoiler was:
It basically spells out who Jon Snow's mother is.

To be fair there is a spoiler warning at the start, but that part again had not started yet so if your plan is to shut it off before that, it won't work.

gently caress. Between South Park, the red avatar spoiling next week's episode, and this.. it's getting harder to avoid spoilers. I really can't wait until the show catches up with the books so the tables get turned.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jun 10, 2014

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Xoidanor posted:

In what epsiode? :confused:

In the Song of rear end and Fire episodes they drop Joeffry is poisoned at his wedding right in the middle.

Honestly since it was South Park I couldn't help but be like "...you assholes" and roll with it.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mortabis posted:

As Jon explained in the show, it was a probing attack. Mance knows the composition of the defenses now so when he attacks in full force he can do it more effectively.

One giant with a bow standing under the ballistias could have probed them.. with freaking wooden missiles, I think. Just that one shot was SO successful, you think they'd at least fired another..

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sentinel Red posted:

given everything we were told and shown of Ned from the start.

If by "we" you mean people who read the books, sure.

In the Lannister video they mention Jaime saving King's Landing, for example... but it was shot BEFORE Season 3. That should have been a warning sign to stop, because that was a pretty great moment in Season 3, and the information was revealed for dramatic effect.

Max posted:

Everybody get out of the thread.

For what it's worth I didn't mean to start a derailed spoiler conversation, I was just warning people to not actually watch said video.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 10, 2014

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AwkwardKnob posted:

Finally scrolled through all the whining about this episode not being good, and just wanted to post that the showrunners and producers of Game of Thrones have specifically stated that they intend to make episode 10 an amazing finale in its own right too this year, and not just rely on big Episode 9 stuff. So like, calm the gently caress down?

What I don't get is why people are mad that, gee, they had an action episode. I think the show was allowed ONE action episode, in particular when it was actually really, really well shot action. I like the plotting and stuff too, but come on. This is like reverse-Astapor, where there everyone was bitching they didn't show the fight.. now that they DO show a fight, nobody wants to see that either?

AwkwardKnob posted:

Talking to other human beings about media and stories they enjoy is such a strange exercise, and it really makes me appreciate how different people are on a lot of levels. If I hate a TV show to the extent that some of you seem to hate this one, I literally just don't watch it. I've dropped shows like a sack of bricks before if they couldn't measure up, and never thought twice about it. Heroes? gently caress that. Dexter? I'd rather do literally anything else with my time. I'm not really trying to condemn anyone here for their opinions about TV and "good writing", I'm just stating that your thought processes are pretty incomprehensible to me.

Well to be honest I watched Heroes season 3 primarily out of train wreck factor. It started out promising but shortly in, they start retconning things that happened ONE EPISODE AGO and it implodes in such an amazing display of plot holes, bad writing, and character butchering that it's almost hard to remember these people are PAID PROFESSIONALS and are seriously worse writers than the well known Doom Guy ("And now, he was a zombie!") fiction, because even that was more consistent.

So yeah. It's almost a different kind of experience at that point. It's not just bad/boring, but bad in such a spectacular fashion that it becomes fascinating.

The only thing that's ever rivaled Heroes S3 in my book for "entertainingly beyond terrible" was American Horror Story: Season 3. Good actors and actress doing their best to read the single most incoherent piece of poo poo script ever written. Even the directors were trying but slick shots can't really save terrible material. It was the TV equivalent of watching idiots take turns making up a campfire story and constantly trying to one up each other with shock value at the expense of everything that happened before.

Honestly watching those two things HAVE given me appreciation for quality though. You can't fully realize when a show is doing everything right, until you've seen some that do EVERYTHING wrong.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 10, 2014

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bobo the Red posted:

There's also a weird assumption that all the giants can even loving aim a bow. Being a good archer isn't something that comes to everyone, let alone to a bunch of enormous things of unknown intelligence that have never had any need to use one before since they're loving giants.

One shot. That's all it took to blow up a section of their defenses. You think you'd try another, at least.

That said, is there a particular reason the wildlings decided to climb up the wall directly under Castle Black instead at one of those unmanned castles, then just assault from there? If it was to get their heavy stuff in, they could always just tried to get the gate open.

I mean, it worked for their little raiding party. It'd be like an RTS where one side is trying to turtle while the other side keeps on growing. They wouldn't even have a way to stop them from getting up as far as I can tell.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bobo the Red posted:

That goes to show how little actual good Ned ever did on screen.

Well, he wasn't a superhero or anything. You got the impression he was a good guy from before, and he was trying to do the right thing in uncovering what he thought was a Lannister plot at the time. What should they have done, have him rescue babies from burning buildings or what?

He didn't exactly have enough time to "help people." I'm sure if he had stuck around as Hand and Robert had continued being King he would have.

Typical Pubbie posted:

It's really hard to believe that amongst a coalition of iron-age tribes who live off the land not one person has the knowledge to build a fishing boat that could double as a transport. Or that such boats do not already exist in sufficient numbers to transport like a hundred extra guys south. But at this point I'm afraid that I'm sperging, so I just want to say that I kinda liked Grenn. :(

I still want to know why they didn't just have everyone that was planning to climb up the wall anyway just climb up at one of the many abandon forts on the wall. That little gate-raid nearly crushed them, and if it were five times bigger, it would have.

OBVIOUSLY they're not going to make it up a wall directly under the most heavily fortified position ever. I really figured their reason for attacking Black was the gate, and only the gate.

Shath Hole posted:

If the night's watch were made up of goons :lol:

... they aren't?

PantsBandit posted:

The Wall would be immediately taken because they're all too busy arguing about the latest episode of Hannibal.

That's not very accurate. Goons would, however, grind to a halt arguing "If we only knew how to build a gun, this wouldn't have happened."

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 11, 2014

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bowser posted:

And Kristian Nairn (Hodor) is a DJ.

I hope he has at least one "Hodor Remix" song to break out for kicks.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bobo the Red posted:

Fair enough that he wasn't around that long. But before the show, he had an easy shot at being Hand during the previous 19 years (or even if he wasn't Hand, he was Lord Paramount of the North, and the king's best friend). Dude was loving powerful, and he could have done a lot of good, he just didn't care to. Which is fine, I guess. He preferred staying in the North, "following the rules" by feeling bad about decapitating young men who ran scared but still doing it, but also, confusingly (hypocritically, really), sparing grown rear end dudes of noble birth who sold people into slavery. Hardly makes him a good guy in my eyes, but whatever.

He made it pretty clear he wouldn't be Hand because had a problem with the way things went down in the past, and he returned to the North because he didn't like the King's Landing politics - namely how lovely they were. He wasn't exactly wrong.

As for the slavery thing, I think that's also not as black & white. Slavery is a lovely thing and even in Westeros it's a serious offense, but he was dealing exclusively in criminals in a place without enough law to deal with them.

Again, super lovely, but you have to keep in mind he'd probably been well within his rights to just execute all of them on the spot, and wouldn't have had a bad thing said about him for it. It really makes it far harder to hate him, and even Danny points this out when he talks about his history as a slaver. Not even in the same ballpark with the slave cities.

ED: Anyone still mad at Ned for cutting off the head of that kid at the start of the series, keep in mind if they let people just completely abandon and run off from Castle Black, "taking the black" would mean nothing and the whole system would utterly fall apart. All it would take is just ONE guy getting away with it and living in Westeros and you'd have a full scale riot. I think the only chance you'd have to escape the wall is getting passage to the East. So yeah, under the morality the world of the show runs on, he wasn't exactly being an rear end in a top hat. Showing that he disliked the job was important primarily because of how many people we'd see later that would LOVE the job.

Plus it sounds like the Night's Watch is a little lenient anyway, if someone runs off for a day or two and comes back, they don't jump straight to the execution. The kid Ned executes traveled WEEKS and was obviously not coming back.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 11, 2014

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bobo the Red posted:

I don't have a problem with Ned not executing Jorah (Jorah is what has kept Dany from going full on genocidal). I have a problem with Ned executing a kid who was obviously scared, especially since he didn't execute Jorah. If Ned had been completely incapable of mercy, fine; he's a weird law robot; Stannis 0.5, if you will.

If he is capable, as Jorah described, and he didn't spare that kid, he goes from decent and law abiding to an rear end in a top hat. Which is also Stannis 0.5, really.

Seriously, gently caress Stannis.

Again, the kid was a member of the night's watch, and like I said above if folks are allowed to flee the Night's Watch, none if means anything anymore and the whole system collapses entirely. This isn't the modern world. Showing his distaste for the job but his willingness to do his duty anyway I think was important.

The difference between Ned and Stannis is Stannis would not have even blinked or felt the least bit of remorse.

Doltos posted:

Ned is a good guy, he's just an idiot. Total idiot.

Probably the biggest moron in the entire series. Hodor is smarter than Ned. Ned could have gotten himself killed in a bubble wrap factory. Ned could have hosed up managing a Dairy Queen.

Ned and Rob both, really. Brilliant tacticians and skilled fighters, no doubt, but the political cunning of goldfish.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

No More Heroes posted:

The kid committed the cardinal sin for being nights watchmen- he left his post, if they didnt have that rule and that punishment in place it'd be impossible to man the wall no one would stay. That doesnt make Ned wrong, Ned did his duty and better than others because he swung the sword himself.

See, No More Heroes here totally gets it.

Judging Ned based on the moral standards of the modern world is pretty ludicrous... and there are still plenty of places in the world today that would execute you for leaving a post.

Bobo the Red posted:

The loving Lord Commander of the Night's Watch spared people for desertion, and that kid had way more cause than anyone to run. Hell, if Ned had taken the time to let him chill out in a cell, he might have warned everyone about the loving Whitewalkers.

People who left for a day or two. That's a huge difference. That kid had gone weeks south, and wasn't going to stop anytime soon. He wasn't one of those people who had second thoughts or ran off in a panic for a bit, he was outright deserting.

It's like the people who go AWOL to hit up Mole's Town. Technically a problem, but if they come back after, then it can be overlooked and taken with a grain of salt. If Ned was killing everyone who stepped out for a night, then yeah, he'd be an rear end in a top hat.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 11, 2014

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Max posted:

You are coming at this from the perspective of privileged information. Ned didn't know if he had a good reason to run from the wall or not. He probably couldn't even be certain he was actually a brother of the Watch, and not a Wildling in disguise. Sending him back to the wall would be asking for him to devote resources and losing some soldiers for a few weeks just to hand the kid over and have him be executed anyway. It's easier to just do it there and then, and establishes that any deserter found south of the wall will be executed on site so they don't think they'll ever find a safe haven. From his point of view, he did the right thing in order to keep the status quo in the realm.

If your argument is that this seems needlessly unfair, you're right, but that is essentially the thesis of this series in all its forms.

Not to mention if the kid ran right back to Castle Black to report his information, all would have been fine. He saw the walkers, didn't want to see them again, and ran away south. I don't know why that's even open to debate. It's pretty drat self-explanatory.

Also the Lannisters did not get rid of Robert. Cersei pushed him but like I said before, all she did was the equivalent of having someone follow an alcoholic around with an open bar full of the good stuff and tons of encouragement to do stupid things. And usual, she was being petty, not thinking strategy.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 11, 2014

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CapnAndy posted:

If Littlefinger was king he'd get bored in three months and burn down half of Westeros just to have some chaos to exploit.

Nah, that's not really his style. He's just turn his attention to the rest of the world.

I could totally picture him going "Why settle for being king of one continent, when I could be king of them all?"

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

He was shown getting stabbed full on in the abdomen from a running charge, and does the COUGH UP BLOOD thing immediately after. Dude is dead as gently caress, It just turns out horrible gut wounds don't kill you as fast as getting your brains smashed in.

If the above posters want to call that inconclusive, then they're welcome to do so.

The HBO website apparently states the Viper's spear was poisoned, so yeah, double-down dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Duggler posted:

You guys are god dammed loving ridiculous with the spoilers. Vague hints and poo poo are just as bad as saying them straight up. Take that poo poo to the spoiler thread or something

Are you seriously stating that because the HBO website pointed out the spear was poisoned that's a spoiler? I was more or less laughing because I thought he'd use poison daggers, and was shocked at getting something half-right for once.

Plus the only reason I brought it up is because people were insisting the Mountain could be alive after getting a giant spear slammed through his chest, vomiting up blood, and collapsing immediately after his last act. They say "In TV they're not dead unless you saw a body" and seriously, even if you took the poison fluff out, he is so loving dead.

ED: As to it's importance on future events... it's not as if he's going to be using it anymore so I'd say none. I'd be shocked otherwise.

The Duggler posted:

It wasn't: hey that kid was polishing the Viper's spear, I wonder if he poisoned it?

It was: Hey, look at that guy putting something on Oberyn's spear

Big difference.

And given the guy who uses it is super, mega, ultra dead.. it's literally a non-issue. The only reason it was put on the site in the first place is because it was a neat detail that the show didn't have time to address, or cut the explanation from, but thought it would be a neat bit of backdrop info. I can't help but agree.

Now if this poison spear suddenly makes jack-all difference episodes from now, I guess I'll feel like a tool, but I would say I'm 99.99% positive it will never, ever be seen again except at a prop auction.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 14, 2014

• Locked thread