Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

a cop posted:

Good job scrolling past all that. Now lets get ready for some game of thrones!!!! Whats everyones favorite Game of Thrones-time snack? I eat a bigass plate of nachos.

Nothing regularly, but I have an emergency pint of ice cream just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Jedimastafez posted:

I am just happy that nobody I liked died

Other than Dolorous Edd and maybe Aemon who up at the Wall is worth liking?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Bobo the Red posted:

I wonder what Ned would have done if he'd been around to see Robb go back on his word like he did.

Decent feels like a stretch, though. Decent doesn't decapitate young, terrified fools.

It does if that's the law of the land upheld by millenia of the tradition that the Lord of the land delivers the killing blow personally.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Who knows what her show purpose is. I personally just think they included her because she's a recurring character in the books and then decided after s2 that she wasn't working out and cut her.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Speleothing posted:

A fairly incompetent assassin. He argued against getting one of the super-assassins as being too expensive.

I don't recall this happening in the show.

Book chat for book 1, no spoilers: And that was Littlefinger getting in Ned's good graces, not Varys.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Doltos posted:

No, Tyrion sent away Myrcella to keep her out of Cersei's clutches while trying to figure out who betrays what he says to Cersei, which is why he presented the three different marriage candidates. It's not the Lannister's plans to get Myrcella married off, at least not in the books after Joffrey dies. Cersei spends many passages pissed off that Myrcella is gone.

Theon was completely a hostage out of goodwill. It ensured that the Greyjoys wouldn't act up again.

Man you are really wrong and then more people jumped on your wrong train just because you said it like you knew something.

In both the show and the books she's currently betrothed to Trystane Martell, a son of Prince Doran of House Martell.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

monster on a stick posted:

I don't know if she's decided to gently caress off as much as realize what a pain in the rear end it is to rule, plus she still has that anti-slavery thing going. I'm really kind of surprised that the various Free Cities of Essos haven't taken more of an interest in her trying to make an empire there.

The Free Cities are very, very far away to the west, even though they'd be affected by something as major as the total disruption of the slave trade. Even Qarth is closer to the Slave Cities than the Free Cities are.

Bobo the Red posted:

I'm not sure how threateninggendry would be in that circumstance, however. If the Lannisters are the ones who bring him legitimacy, and he turned on them, he has no one backing him, and has shown himself to be untrustworthy. So in that sense, if Gendry lives, the Lannisters definitely would want to be the ones who bring him into the fold.

As soon as he's legitimized he's got a claim to the throne that people can rally around, especially if Tommen dies. It's not something that the king can just take back, and the only person who wouldn't recognize it as legitimate now would be Stannis (or Danaerys, but who cares what she thinks).

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 12, 2014

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Ginette Reno posted:

Stannis is super rigid about law and duty but he does have some adaptability to him. Show smarts and ability and he'll give you a position of merit. Stannis made a friggin' smuggler into his hand because he recognized Davos' intelligence and worth.

Killing his brother wasn't wrong. His brother was trying to usurp his rightful claim to the throne. Renly was going to kill Stannis unless Stannis bent the knee to him. Stannis was perfectly justified in defending himself in the only way he could since he would have been trounced by Renly's massive army.

Plus Stephen Dillane absolutely kills it every time he's on screen so if you're not rooting for the Mannis I don't know what's wrong with you. He had me at thousands.

He had me at being the only person :spergin: enough to insist that his propaganda be factually accurate.

E: alas being an adulterer is only illegal if you're a married woman/committing such with a married woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Bobo the Red posted:

I mean, if you wanna ignore the fact that even Stannis felt really iffy about it, calls it murder, and refuses to talk to Davos about it, sure. But Renly could have easily killed Stannis, but didn't, because killing family is hosed up even in Westeros. Sure, Renly would've beaten him, but kill him? No way.

And Stannis also killed his brother in law for not converting, and violated Gendry's guest right. He's a dick, and would make a pretty bad king. But hey, like him all you want, I guess. Even as he sacrifices a little girl to a blood god.

His letter about the kids was pretty great, to be sure.

Renly never had a chance to kill Stannis, so we don't know if he would have. The battle that would determine if he had a chance was going to occur the day he was assassinated.

Point on killing his brother in law, I suppose, but he never gave Gendry guest right. There's a specific ritual to Guest Right, and bread and salt were not offered, merely food. To a :spergin: like Stannis this matters.

We'll see whether he sacrifices Shireen or not.

• Locked thread