Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Signed up as Blue Labrador the Lancer! Can't wait for Bombs to start showing up. I'm feeling bullshit Self-Destruct deaths in the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runic Edge
Jan 22, 2010
Signed up as Runic Edge the Knight. I just hope I live long enough to be worthless!

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.
Signed up as Ashnjack the Summoner. Hopefully I last longer then a turn.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Daigerus the Chemist, reporting for duty!

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012
Winter Stormer in on Summoner.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Aaaand closing the sign-ups for now. They may or may not open back up quickly, but 34 is probably enough for the time being.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I hope you'll be diligent in keeping records of exactly what each character accomplished, where they started and where they met their inevitable fate. :colbert:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Update 00: Start-To-Save Time, 20 Minutes

I cannot recommend enough that if you care about the story at all, you stop reading this and go read through OFS' LP of this game. This really is a very cool and intricate plot (for the first two thirds) and it's a very fun game that just happens to have been played to death and have some rather blatant balance... quirks.

TL;DR, though, it's a fantasy War of the Roses. Rich old white guys waging war over which one of them gets to be the richest old white guy while this rich YOUNG white guy grows up. The narrator talks about a dude named Delita who history says is a hero, and a dude named Ramza who history says is a villain, and then implies that this might not be the whole truth.

I went back and forth on what to name the main character. Ramza would be faithful, and less narcissistic than naming the main character after myself...

But then I realized that with a 14-character maximum, I could just barely fit my whole username. Probably would have used a pun instead if I could think of one.

Used my own birthday, too, because why not. (Also, Capricorn is good for going on the offensive with some of the bosses.)

A 3D PS1 cutscene that probably took dozens if not hundreds of manhours in 1997, summarized in 3 images.

Princess Ovelia. She's kinda important to this whole 'war of succession' business. She's also not super happy about being passed around like a "Get onto the throne free" coupon, but that doesn't come up for a while.

Gaffgarion is a character who could have all his dialogue replaced with "Look how evil I am, I'm going to kick a puppy next chance I get" and very little would change.

Female Knight #3 limps in to warn everyone that bad guys are coming. Everyone rushes outside for the tutorial battle.

There's a tutorial battle.

It's over quickly.

But the battle was a distraction, and Ovelia is being dragged off by Delita, a young man who is implied by the narrator at the start to maybe not be quite as much of an upstanding dude as history makes him out to be. He immediately works to dispel this notion by sucker punching a princess and then kidnapping her.

The original translation for this line is the source of the thread title.

The prologue is now only half over, so I'm gonna skip quickly through the second half.

It's always baffling to me that history seems to be full of rich folks paying people to get really good at killing other people, then being surprised when those people, after not being paid, try to kill them instead.

Lots of talking about what this bodes for the knights-to-be.

Turns out the answer is 'Okay, we're gonna put all the recruits in one place to protect our flank, and really really hope that nobody in charge notices how green you all are. But first, go kill some deserters.'

And with that, the game can be saved. Start-To-Save is an informal measurement of 'how long after I start this game can I save', and thus A) start actually playing, and B) skip all the intro crap next time. FFTactics clocks in at just about twenty minutes, which is actually really good for a Final Fantasy game, to be honest. This piece of trivia brought to you by the fact that I have no idea what else to talk about.

Next Update: Some assholes nobody cares about.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 12, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Was going to work on the update more, then realized I've been putting off actual work. Way too much. Whoops.

Looks like Hankosa's gonna be a Geomancer, though.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
drat. I really need to start checking the actual LP forum more often. Missed out on the sign ups.

Oh well, looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

This LP is well-timed for me. I recently started playing this game for the first time ever (also Complete v0.50 :respek:). I'm used to Final Fantasy games being insanely easy so this one was kind of a shock and I'm finding it beyond brutal at times.

Everyone who knows the game's ins-and-outs tell me that it's brokenly easy once you become familiar with its quirks, so I'm really curious how exactly that is because I can't figure it out for the life of me :sigh:

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Orange Fluffy Sheep Breaks the game so far over his knee that..well, you'd just have to read it. I can already tell you that this one, while it will likely be an amazing trainwreck, won't go so far over the top with how you can utterly destroy the game with a bit of preparation. (Yes i know the link was in the OP. Seriously. It's worth reading.)

Also, Dancers. I know i'd probably get a lot of disagreement on how gimmicky they can be, but they really can have some hilarious results with their random status effect on all enemies dance.

Aishlinn fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 8, 2014

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Aw drat, just missed the sign up period. Well I'll be following along since this game was always a favorite of mine. I played the original PS1 version a billion times, doing a bunch of challenges, and the PSP WotL version once (slowdown on my Vita is brutal and the new special characters just break the game even more). Permadeath and the different translation (already miss "blame yourself or God" and "l.i.t.t.l.e...m.o.n.e.y.") should be fun!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I wanna say thanks for this LP being a 'Spell everything out for the very thick' type of narrative. I'm terrible at noticing subtleties so this is right up my alley.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
So.

I've been kinda wondering this for awhile, but given how broke the original FFT was and that someone can crack and change it to be more balanced, is it still hard to use the FFT engine, "fixed" or not, to just make an entirely new game? Admittedly, it would be scads harder to do with a PS1 game than make some sort of Zelda or Mario hack, but I've been curious if any fans have thought to actually do this especially since the Advance Tactics games have gone off in their own direction.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TKMobile posted:

I've been kinda wondering this for awhile, but given how broke the original FFT was and that someone can crack and change it to be more balanced, is it still hard to use the FFT engine, "fixed" or not, to just make an entirely new game? Admittedly, it would be scads harder to do with a PS1 game than make some sort of Zelda or Mario hack, but I've been curious if any fans have thought to actually do this especially since the Advance Tactics games have gone off in their own direction.
It seems to be fairly difficult, given that even two decades later, the only hack listed on Romhacking.net is the afore-mentioned Tactics 1.3 (which is both a rebalance mod and a difficulty mod).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Update 01: This Update Ends With Me Trying To Sing A Jock Jams Song Via Text

As will often be the case, the save point is immediately followed by the mission intro. If you don't know what you're doing, or accidentally proceed with the plot while all your guys are naked, or whatever, you can kind of end up painting yourself into a corner. Two bosses in particular are notorious for ending runs of single-file savers who don't know they're coming.

OFS did plenty of talking about game mechanics, and I'm operating mostly under the assumption that all my readers already know the game well (or at least his LP), so instead I'll be breaking up the screenshots with tactical decisions, challenge run trivia, personal comments, and other nonsense that generally has no business taking up main update space.

There isn't really much to TL;DR on this scene. Some nameless bandits/deserters/inexplicable Cockney accents are fleeing and attack pretty much immediately.

As the first "real" mission, this fight is pretty toothless. With tall terrain on both sides, and shallow water in the middle, the most irritating foe on this map is actually the camera, and it can sometimes take several adjustments to get a proper view of what you're trying to accomplish. The water can lead to a reckless first-time player getting boxed in and whacked about if they rush forward without thinking, but even then you've still got an AI companion in Delita to bail you out.

Left to his own devices, Delita will beeline for the nearest enemy and whack him or her, often stealing a kill (and valuable experience) from one of your own units. If you know at all what you're doing, he's kind of more trouble than he's worth right now. The only real exception is solo Ramza runs, where you have neither force to bring to bear, nor access to any kind of healing. Even then, it's more 'don't be stupid and pick them off individually' than 'actual challenge'.

I whack him because A) guests can't actually die, B) he's a killstealing son of a taint, and C) I have reasons for wanting to leave certain enemies alive.

With Delita out of the way and no real reason (or way) to be cautious, the fight proceeds pretty quickly.

Poor Rolfe here is technically the first casualty of the LP, but since none of these guys will still be around by the end of the update, I'm not too torn up about it.

Uninterrupted by Delita, I can take down the Squires one by one and give myself/Ramza the killing blow once or twice for the extra bit of XP.

I end up using a couple potions just to make sure I have enough guys to accomplish the thing I want to.

One Chemist in particular proceed to be rather persistent in undoing my damage, but I have to keep him alive for the time being, so I tolerate it.

Eventually, dudes start dying off and crystalizing. The ability crystals I don't care so much about as there's only some very basic Squire and Chemist skills at stake here, and Ramza's going to be getting bleedover XP out the rear end in those classes.

What is important, on the other hand, are the cheap equipment items they drop from chests if they don't become a crystal. Everything they drop, I've got at least as good of, but for what I want to do after this battle, I wanna grab all the money I can.

Once that point is reached, a bit of very basic AI manipulation gets me the last Chemist trapped in a corner, where he can weaponlessly flail at a couple of my dudes while I wait for the last of the items to drop.

Total profit: 1 Clothes, 1 Dagger, 1 Potion skill for Ramza, 1 completely useless HP/MP refill for the same. Totally worth the extra ten minutes it took to make all that happen.

Chemist doesn't live long after that.

Ramza, a pampered son of one of the most respected noble families in recent history, doesn't understand why anyone would turn to a life of crime. Why not just stop being poor?

Spoils: 2500 Gil, a fancy knife, and a couple items I failed to get in that last screen cap but was too lazy to go back to get again.

That out of the way, we're booted to the world map, where proceeding even one spot forward will trigger another plot battle. Before that happens, I have some... downsizing to do.

Like my predecessor before me, I sell some high-cost low-utility items for an extra bit of scratch, as well as the equipment I strip off my generic units before booting them out the door. Unlike OFS, I also sell all my Phoenix Downs. Total, I walk away with right around 8500 gil. This is enough to do what I'm trying to do with room to spare.

And that means it's time to get some new allies.

The first is a young man who's as brave as can be, and who thus will be very good at Fisting things some day soon. His name is Fister Roboto.

Ice Mallet picks up the role of our first female Chemist, who will probably make for a very good White Mage except for that I've been basically ignoring zodiac signs, and later realize she has poor compatibility with Ramza and some of the others. Whoops. Too late now!

A Cancer upon the forums, EvilUrchin is a brave and godless man who dreams of one day being the first human to enter the mesosphere without aid of a catapult.

Orcs+Ostriches will be spending a lot of time in dresses on his path to becoming a bard.

KalonZombie rounds out the pack as another Monk-to-be, and has the distinction of being the first submitter to request a cross-job ability. The request is summarily rejected.

Proper jobs are granted, equipment is bought and given, Delita is stripped as well, and I reluctantly realize what having to pass up JP Boost for my generics will mean for the speed my units will reach high-tier classes. (Spoiler: Significantly slower.) Instead, all three Squires and Ramza are granted Stone for that little bit of extra JP opportunity. The Chemists get Potion and nothing else. I realize I forgot to buy any.

Ramza's Squire class being special, I have less qualms about giving him JP Boost for a while. Though he also has the capability to become a Knight or Archer, there's no equipment for it. I spend another few minutes dicking around in the class screen, but the base of the work has been done, and we're basically ready to move on to the game proper.

Ladies and gentlegoons, please put your hands together for the opening lineup!

Banuh-nuh nuh-nuh NUH NUH

Na nuh-nuh nuh-nuh NUH NUH

Y'all ready for this?

Nuh nuh nuh na-nah nah na-nah na-nah

Nah nah na-nan-ah NAHNAH

Buh tuh tuh-tuh-tuh-tuh-tuh TUH TUH

YEAH

Next Update: Mandalia Plains. Someone is fairly likely to die.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jun 12, 2014

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You let Rolf die you bastard.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
A Capricorn Ramza with two worst compat males and a bad compat female, the only saving grace being those Cancers have good compat with the Scorpio.
You're deliberately trying to give some people an aneurism, aren't you?

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 12, 2014

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
There's a bunch of mods out there - rebalance, "sequels", complete story rewrites, etc. There's even mods of the PSP version where all they do is patch out the animation delay and/or replace the dialogue with the original. I haven't played any of them except FFT 1.3, so proceed with caution: http://ffhacktics.com/ is the general modding community and is, as far as I can tell, still fairly active.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Micro-Update 01

I unforgot. Chances of death: Slightly less likely.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

I pretty much know the answer to the question already, but i'll ask anyway. If you get to the point where poaching becomes viable, what's your rules on the Chantagne? And more to that point, how about reraise? would the white mage having the mp to cast it count as a 1 time cheat death, or is it's use just banned right off?

Edit edit:
V Figured, but just wanted to make sure.

Aishlinn fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 12, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Aishlinn posted:

I pretty much know the answer to the question already, but i'll ask anyway. If you get to the point where poaching becomes viable, what's your rules on the Chantagne?
If I manage to get one purely from lucky enemy poaching (since I won't be doing any party-poaching), then I'll probably just sell it for a massive pile of Gil. Reraise is pretty blatantly against the spirit of the rule.

Gologle posted:

You let Rolf die you bastard.
His name was Rolfe, you bastard.

Corvinus posted:

A Capricorn Ramza with two worst compat males and a bad compat female, the only saving grace being those Cancers have good compat with the Scorpio.
You're deliberately trying to give some people an aneurism, aren't you?
It actually really did just work out that way. The bright side on the incompatibility is that if I make Ramza a Geomancer, friendly fire won't do nearly as much against those two.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Somehow I get the feeling this is going to be a big goony sausage party.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Just use JP up don't make yourself go insane.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

It might be interesting to stick Reraise on Ramza. It'll mean you literally can't lose (I think), but save-reload means that anyway. The benefit will be that if a battle goes to hell you'll really be stuck with the consequences.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Just use JP up don't make yourself go insane.

I was gonna say, there's a difference between challenges and self hate. :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I guess it does just save some grinding.

Alright, sure. JP Up is the exception.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 14, 2014

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
PS I requested to be a Monk/Knight for pure early-game fuckery, but then Poison Mushroom said I couldn't be both, so I went with pure monk, because even a pure monk is pretty useful until the start of Act 2.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
So, a slightly interesting tidbit that may or may not have been covered in the OFS thread: Generics you hire in the "Warrior's Guild" (I have to get used to these WotL names) have their Brave and Faith values randomly rolled between, I believe, 40 and 70. However, random units you encounter in battles, and the generics you start with, seem to have a +4 added to their Brave/Faith values. So you'll somewhat frequently see your starting generics have 71-74 ratings, while you'll never get anything that good from the recruitment center. That can actually be a pretty substantial difference in challenge runs, so some people may do a lot of resetting at the first battle until they get a good set of starters.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Spoiler while I work on the update:

Somebody died!

Edit Someone get this thread to Page 3 so I don't drop 3 updates on the same page.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 13, 2014

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

I love this game! Though I don't think I was ever good enough to play it without anyone dieing, even the not dead yet kind of dieing.

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean
This is a challenge I have tried, and failed myself. I look forward to you embarrassing me.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Luquos posted:

This is a challenge I have tried, and failed myself. I look forward to you embarrassing me.
Apparently you aren't familiar with the OP's previous LPs. :v:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Poison Mushroom posted:

Spoiler while I work on the update:

Somebody died!

Edit Someone get this thread to Page 3 so I don't drop 3 updates on the same page.

I was going to start a death betting pool, but then I accidentally looked at the roster spreadsheet and spoiled myself. :frogsiren: The signup spreadsheet includes death spoilers! :frogsiren:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Apparently you aren't familiar with the OP's previous LPs. :v:

You better not be talking poo poo about Chocolate Secret :argh:

God drat it I suck at this game. I just attempted Deep Dungeon for the first time and I really need to prepare better :(

EvilUrchin
Jun 13, 2007

Sigmar's Fist: 5 Star Crash Rating
Someday EvilUrchin will soar to the heavens, provided that something unlikely such as some lady who is far too slow in obtaining his tea decides to be all OCD and check the life support systems too much. Or he is murdered horribly by bandits, one of the two.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
Placing a bet that 20 people will be dead before chapter 2.

Also, I'd like to ask a question:

Would it be alright if people signup with different preferences, depending on whether their bravery or faith starts higher?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Schwartzcough posted:

I was going to start a death betting pool, but then I accidentally looked at the roster spreadsheet and spoiled myself. :frogsiren: The signup spreadsheet includes death spoilers! :frogsiren:

Haha, I know who died. Take me on as a replacement. Make me a permanent Squire, as befitting my lack of any skills. I am looking forward to seeing droves of goons tossed into a meat grinder in this LP.

• Locked thread