Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Speaking of which, here is an updated list of the cardpool at launch, and also what we know will be in the Alara Expansion:

http://community.wizards.com/forum/mtg-duels-planeswalkers/threads/4104891

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty Karma
Jul 3, 2007
No THG is seriously baffling. It was easily the 2nd most popular format through every DOTP. Gonna pass on this one.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
If the promo card is as good as Scavenging Ooze was you will essentially be paid ten bucks to play Wizards' lovely bizzaro-MTG. Your LCS may also hand them out as an extra incentive to fill up a draft night (so I was also being paid to draft).

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

First Bass posted:

If the promo card is as good as Scavenging Ooze was you will essentially be paid ten bucks to play Wizards' lovely bizzaro-MTG. Your LCS may also hand them out as an extra incentive to fill up a draft night (so I was also being paid to draft).

I'm pretty sure the promo card isn't going to reach 10 bux. It's Soul of Ravnica/Zendikar.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

It really is just like paper Magic in that the ludicrous economics of the game are making me not want to play anymore. Looks like I'm skipping this year.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Is there still no Phyrexian deck this year?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Is there still no Phyrexian deck this year?

There are no decks this year.

Laterbase
May 18, 2011
It's the price of two beers and I'm sure it will keep me entertained longer so I will probably get it. Will miss 2HG though. Can't believe they removed it.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'll miss the challenges. Challenges were cool.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I picked up 14 on my phone because when I saw this was almost out I got hyped and wanted an outlet. It's goddamn unplayable. Whenever I have to choose a card, the game arbitrarily chooses for me and ignores what I chose (sometimes even choosing nothing and nulling the card's effect). I lose every game because I accidentally do something like discard a rise from the grave instead of my big creature. It's really frustrating. I'll sit there and make extra sure I'm picking the right thing, that it's highlighted and visible, and that no other cards are highlighted, I'll hit the commit button, and some other card I didn't even scroll past is selected. Is this a common problem with the Android version, or is something horribly wrong with my phone or something?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Funkmaster General posted:

I picked up 14 on my phone because when I saw this was almost out I got hyped and wanted an outlet. It's goddamn unplayable. Whenever I have to choose a card, the game arbitrarily chooses for me and ignores what I chose (sometimes even choosing nothing and nulling the card's effect). I lose every game because I accidentally do something like discard a rise from the grave instead of my big creature. It's really frustrating. I'll sit there and make extra sure I'm picking the right thing, that it's highlighted and visible, and that no other cards are highlighted, I'll hit the commit button, and some other card I didn't even scroll past is selected. Is this a common problem with the Android version, or is something horribly wrong with my phone or something?

The iOS version of Duels 14 is only for the iPad, so it's likely the android version isn't optimized or barely works on smartphones, and maybe shouldn't be available for handsets.

Mingus Dew
Dec 30, 2013

Finally, a good reason to punch a teenager in the face!
Torn on getting this. I picked up 14 and enjoyed it because Eldrazi and it just sounds like the unlocking this time around is going to be a hot mess. Also, the lack of 2HG is sad because that was probably the most fun part of online DOTP when you could get a match going.

Knowing me though, I'll probably bite the bullet at some point - likely when it goes on sale.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
As someone who plays way too much Magic, this is kind of disappointing. The whole appeal was playing with crazy cards that no one uses on my couch. Now we get more control over our deck (though with lovely rarity limitations) and less interesting cards. If I wanted to build a Magic deck I'd do it in real life or on MTGO. I want to play some dumbass Etherium Sculptor deck or whatever.

Also taking out 2HG is literally the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Still going to buy it though because I'm a sucker.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It really is just like paper Magic in that the ludicrous economics of the game are making me not want to play anymore. Looks like I'm skipping this year.

I don't think its that bad, but suit yourself. The last thing I'd be interested in is MTG 2015 with the same white weenie, black zombie and efficient blue creatures decks. And with 2HG as the only mode worth playing.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 6, 2014

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

2013 had loads of unusual decks with weird angles and multiple builds. Hell, you could play mono-green control with that Yeva deck. I guess for two years in a row they're going to miss what made it great.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Ugh, I don't like the direction Wizards are going with this series at all. Freedom to build your own decks is all fine and dandy, but with the limited card pool it's going to be netdecks all around within a week. And then there's these premium cards that stink of pay-to-win. I mean, paying for more and better cards has always been an aspect of MtG, but can't they keep that poo poo out of these more casual games? And no 2HG? Why?

As amazing as it might sound, I think I'll get more bang for my buck from Magic Online. 15 tix will get me a shitload of commons, uncommons and crap rares from the recent blocks, and I can actually play 2HG with them.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.

StoryTime posted:

As amazing as it might sound, I think I'll get more bang for my buck from Magic Online. 15 tix will get me a shitload of commons, uncommons and crap rares from the recent blocks, and I can actually play 2HG with them.

This is why DotP 2015 is what it is.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I've had a lot of fun with the past 3 or 4 years, but I'm skipping this one. No 2HG and unnecessary deckbuilding limitations are incredibly stupid.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nehru the Damaja posted:

2013 had loads of unusual decks with weird angles and multiple builds. Hell, you could play mono-green control with that Yeva deck. I guess for two years in a row they're going to miss what made it great.

Yep, it's really loving bizarre, 2013 had great decks with only one or two that were bad and they were all very interesting. I don't know who they asked for feedback to create 2014, which launched with 10 tribal decks and only got interesting with some of the DLC (Dodge and Burn, Enchanter's Arsenal, Bounce and Boon, Unfinished Business, Lords of Darkness, Hall of Champions, were pretty fun to play).

Still gonna buy 2015 because it's only :tenbux: and MTGO still bugs the poo poo out of me for casual play (still have ~600 cards on my account going all the way back to Odyssey block though).

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

But guys for a single down payment of 34.99 you can preorder the whole set!

There's no real reason to play this instead of MTGO unless you really care about Garruk's storyline or whatever. Or you really hate the interface (you're not the only one).

Mayheim
Jun 15, 2006
Wait until you see how they are going to try to monetize it.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Wait, so they took out THG and the Challenges? I wasn't aware there was anything else to the game.

fleshy echidna
Apr 11, 2010
Honestly why not just play mtg online? I mean it is fricken ridiculous pricewise but at least it doesn't gut the game completely.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

fleshy echidna posted:

Honestly why not just play mtg online? I mean it is fricken ridiculous pricewise but at least it doesn't gut the game completely.

Why not use free alternatives such as Cockatrice, Lackey and OCGTN?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I've bought this game every year, sometimes twice, most often with all the DLC, and I'm amazed they managed to make me not want this anymore. Last year's version sucked, but this seems like toxic waste.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

fleshy echidna posted:

The price doesn't bother me at all, by doing smart trades and using vendors instead of buying boosters it's not expensive at all to play casually...

...the thing that bothers me is that "playing casually" is hard to do in MTGO, last time I played almost every random person in the "casual" room had a ridiculous combo "gently caress you" deck (keep in mind, I only ever played Extended too so...). And then they did away with the "casual" room completely. And I don't honestly have the time to play tons of people on there until I find a few cool ones who will play truly "casual", low-power-level games with me. I mean, I used to do that, I used to have a friend list full of nice people who didn't like to powergame the poo poo out of it, but it seems like getting back to that would require way more of a time investment than simply playing DOTP, where the powrgaming is mitigated by preconstructed decks (and this year, a limited card pool).

The base game doesn't look amazing, for sure, but I am hoping the DLC will expand the card pool enough to make things interesting. The Alara DLC alone should provide some much needed multicolor stuff (like Shardlands, which are in the game confirmed).

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
I'm impressed that Wizards has somehow only gotten more incompetent after the release of Hearthstone.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Of course Hasbro has to take one step forward and two back. Guess I'll wait to see what bizarre pricing structure they're imposing with the iPad version before I consider buying it on Steam.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I'll probably grab this for iPad, as I play 13 and 14 pretty often. However if they are going to have it be build your own deck and buy boosters, etc, it would be really nice if they game were account based so we could log on on the PC or tablet to the same card pools we have bought.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

GimmickMan posted:

But guys for a single down payment of 34.99 you can preorder the whole set!

There's no real reason to play this instead of MTGO unless you really care about Garruk's storyline or whatever. Or you really hate the interface (you're not the only one).

MTGO is its own animal and is pretty much the deep end of the pool. Sure you could potentially spend less on a solid deck - but if you don't know what's going on, you can spend WAY more on decks that don't really work. There's always the pressure to spend more if you're not winning - I know because Hearthstone feels that way at times with the legendary cards.

StoryTime posted:

Ugh, I don't like the direction Wizards are going with this series at all. Freedom to build your own decks is all fine and dandy, but with the limited card pool it's going to be netdecks all around within a week. And then there's these premium cards that stink of pay-to-win. I mean, paying for more and better cards has always been an aspect of MtG, but can't they keep that poo poo out of these more casual games? And no 2HG? Why?

Netdecking isn't a con, plus this is a base set, which makes it easier for people to get into deck building. The rarity restrictions are there to limit the P2W. You don't get to slam down 4 Baneslayer Angels in one deck.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 7, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So is there not a new gameplay/multiplayer mode this year a la Planechase? I stopped following Magic for a while after Return to Ravnica so I don't know what new stuff has happened in the paper world. I thought I'd check this out to get a taste, but this kinda looks... bland?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So is there not a new gameplay/multiplayer mode this year a la Planechase? I stopped following Magic for a while after Return to Ravnica so I don't know what new stuff has happened in the paper world. I thought I'd check this out to get a taste, but this kinda looks... bland?

It looks like they pretty much stripped the multi down to 4 player free for all.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Some calculations:

Rarity restrictions: 4 Common, 3 Uncommon, 2 Rare, 1 Mythic Rare

Premium Pack: 20 commons, 15 uncommons, 6 rares and 3 mythics for a total of 140 cards of premium 'DLC' to unlock.

Booster packs don't do dupes and come in 10 card packs, so you need 14 packs to unlock them all. Thinking that the DLC range is 1->1.99, you can expect between $14 to $28 to unlock the entire premium set.

Edited predicted price range, no way they're charging 4 bucks for a booster.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 7, 2014

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I got Magic 2014 Planeswalkers, aka last year's edition of this, because I remembered how I was a little into this stuff when I was younger... and it got me really back into it.

Then I realized that I had to either pay money for boosters or pay to get into the Magic Online thing, which didn't look as cool or awesome (and would've meant all the learning I've done so far would go to waste since the interface was completely different)... and so I fell out of it pretty quickly at that point.

I had a lot of fun during that week of playing it.

I'm happy to hear about the changes that they've made for this one based on the OP here... but I'm a bit sad that they stopped short of going full-Hearthstone, which imo would be best.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Tezzeract posted:

Some calculations:

Rarity restrictions: 4 Common, 3 Uncommon, 2 Rare, 1 Mythic Rare

Premium Pack: 20 commons, 15 uncommons, 6 rares and 3 mythics for a total of 140 cards of premium 'DLC' to unlock.

Booster packs don't do dupes and come in 10 card packs, so you need 14 packs to unlock them all. Thinking that the DLC range is 1->1.99, you can expect between $14 to $28 to unlock the entire premium set.

Edited predicted price range, no way they're charging 4 bucks for a booster.

Given that all the 'card collections' plus a bunch of 'foil stickers' are at $35 as a preorder, I'd lean more on $2 or $2.5 per booster.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
Wait, what the poo poo? They put loving rarity restrictions into the deck building? And a paywall for... all of the good cards?

Well, this is what I get for preordering! God dammit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
e: ^^^^ Look at the card list again - there are tons of "good cards" that aren't Premiums.

GimmickMan posted:

Given that all the 'card collections' plus a bunch of 'foil stickers' are at $35 as a preorder, I'd lean more on $2 or $2.5 per booster.

The card collections are not the Premium cards, though. All 5 card collections combined would give you a lot more cards than the total number of Premiums - somewhere around 700 total cards, I think, vs. the 140 total number of cards in Premium.

I'd be shocked if the boosters cost more than a dollar each.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

In retrospect I might have been excessively cynical there, yeah.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Tezzeract posted:

Netdecking isn't a con, plus this is a base set, which makes it easier for people to get into deck building. The rarity restrictions are there to limit the P2W. You don't get to slam down 4 Baneslayer Angels in one deck.

A fair point about netdecking, that was the wrong word to use now that I think about it. I just think that with the limited card pool it's going to get very samey very quick. There won't be too many really effective builds.

Seems like there's three options for my Magic fix: go with this game, go Magic Online, or go draft at the local game store. I think I'm going with one of the latter ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!
Even the lovely versions of DoTP have been well worth the money I've spent on them. I'm willing to give this a try and hope I can get another 50+ hours of gameplay out of it.

• Locked thread