Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
As someone who plays way too much Magic, this is kind of disappointing. The whole appeal was playing with crazy cards that no one uses on my couch. Now we get more control over our deck (though with lovely rarity limitations) and less interesting cards. If I wanted to build a Magic deck I'd do it in real life or on MTGO. I want to play some dumbass Etherium Sculptor deck or whatever.

Also taking out 2HG is literally the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Still going to buy it though because I'm a sucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
So I've been playing on the iPad for about an hour or so now and I'm assuming the pay structure is going to be a little different then it is for the other platforms but here's how it is:

Firstly, as far as I can tell the "bundle" says it gives you all "planar card unlocks", and says it has all launch content "except boosters". So at the beginning it asked me what color deck I wanted between white and black (as one deck), red, green, and blue. I've been playing white and black and after each new level cleared they give me a "booster" of a couple (so far the most I've gotten is 3) cards that fill basic roles for the deck I'm playing. So I'm guessing that the bundle includes each card that you unlock through normal gameplay. Whether or not this is all the cards in the game I have no idea but the fact that the bundle specifically says all content except boosters, I'm guessing there are some that you can't get through regular gameplay or the big bundle.

Boosters are $2. I have no idea if they give duplicates or anything else about them because I don't really plan on buying any right now.

The campaign is $10 (I'm guessing it just comes with the game on other platforms) and there is a $3 bonus Theros chapter so I'm guessing that's like a small expansion or something.

$20 is the card collection that "unlocks all cards". I'm not sure if it gives you playsets for cards you want multiples of or not.

The iPad interface is better than last time overall, it's more like the 2013 interface than the 2014 one with the sideways scrolling rather than menus.

The deck builder is so bad. You can filter cards, it will give you your mana curve, and it will tell you how many creatures and spells you have which is all nice. However it won't give you a color breakdown for determining lands to add. You can't just have it auto-add lands like in 2014, you can either have it handle the lands automatically where it will put in 26 lands straight up even if it pushes you over 60 cards or you can do it manually where it doesn't give you any color information. If you have it set to do lands automatically and you start dicking with your deck and want to adjust maybe the color distribution or amount of lands, you're SOL and can't just flip it off right there, you have to go back out to the options menu and disable it then go back into the deck editor and fix your lands.

Also the starting decks are beyond basic. Like none of the decks start out particularly good in the previous games but the cards are so dang bad. poo poo that's below curve with drawbacks and what not. I would legit put Scathe Zombies in my deck right now to replace some of the poo poo it comes with.

This is all I've noticed over the hour or so I've been playing but so far I'm not seeing a lot to change the initial impressions people got when the details on the game came out.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Laterbase posted:

Hmm it looks like the payment model is different on ipad. I still want this and I don't know why.

Well you can go through the first chapter and see if you like it.

I'm not sure so far, it feels different than the previous games and so far it feels like playing really lovely sealed decks against only moderately lovely precons. I think I might drop the 10 on the campaign and see how it goes but so far it looks like if you want decent cards you're going to have to pay more than the price of entry to get in.

E: Apparently the "advanced" features for the deckbuilder get unlocked after you beat the first chapter so you can have it auto complete your land and tell you your color distribution after that.

Jibo fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 10, 2014

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Pawn 17 posted:

Here is what Nik Davidson said on the AMA about the "pay to win" and payment model:

So what I'm getting from this is and my experience with the game so far is that $2 boosters are the only way to get certain cards. The $35 special edition does not come with these cards, but rather the ones you unlock through gameplay, at least for the iPad version. So even if you buy the $35 "all launch content" version you are going to have to throw another $28 in to get the premium cards. Or you can pay the entry level fee at $10, unlock the less good cards through normal gameplay and pay out $28 for the premium cards.

I have no idea if this is how it will work on other platforms, or if this is even accurate as I'm not getting the special edition version but it does very clearly say on the iPad "all laucnh content except for boosters" for $35.

As an aside, they really decided to go hog wild since you don't necessarily get the decks the computer uses. Liliana was slinging Demonic Tutors and Kiora was dropping Tropical Islands when I played them earlier.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Gynovore posted:

...so, once you've completed the campaign up to Garruk, is there any way to grind boosters other than playing online?

You get boosters every time you do an Explore (whatever) mission if you still have boosters for that plane to get.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

kater posted:

I threw down $6 for some fancy cards. Unwrapped Kozilesteriak or whatever the gently caress. How the gently caress am I going to build a deck that gets to 12 mana in this game.

Ideally you'd get it out with Tooth and Nail, Sneak Attack, or whatever rather than hard casting it. I've not played this a whole lot so I'm not sure if any of those are in there or if the game is actually slow enough to reliably hardcast him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Well I don't feel bad about drunkenly buying a couple of boosters however long ago now. Still not sure if I'm ever going to go back to playing this though.

• Locked thread