Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
:siren:Video 17 - Episode 3 Mission 4 :siren:

Quake, like Doom but a bit browner.

One of the first PC games I bought, Quake is a typical action heavy 90's first person shooter, the emphasis being on blowing things up and constant motion. I'm not going to be doing a thorough play-through of the game going to kill everything and find every tasty secret while trying to zip through relatively sharpish. Commentary I'll be doing separately from video recording so hopefully I can throw in some facts and stories about the history of id software just to keep things informative.

Videos

Enemies

See this deid wee bastard here. He's a grunt, he's pish, don't even worry about him.

A dog. Resident Evil this ain't. Easy meat.

The Ogre. A big dumb brute. He'll mash you up close with his chainsaw and pepper you with grenades from afar. Still an ugly bastard though, make him prettier.

A zombie. Probably stinks of poo poo.

The Fiend, or Demon depending on who you ask is a savage wee bastard, like a gorilla mixed with a pitbull, caution advised.

A Scrag. Ratty snake man thing, spits urine balls at you, pretty gross. Needs to moisturize. Wouldn't look out of place in an Oddworld game.

Savour this sight. You won't see it often. Hairy fuckers, bout 12 feet tall, shoots lightning, teeth for a face. Really mean. Rockets are meaner.

This lad's a Knight. He has a sword. You have bullets.

Episode 2

The only difference beteween the Enforcer and a standard grunt is his laser gun and his the fact he drops energy cells, rob the bastard.

The Death Knight. Like his younger brother but meaner, can shoot lasers too, now that's Steampunk.

Rotfish. Largely pointless.

Links

Quake OST
Quake Done Quickest - A 14 minute speed-run, pretty impressive.
Quake Done Quickly 100% - The same as above, but killing everything.
Masters of Doom - Great book about the history of id Software, I highly recommend it.

Ramagamma fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jul 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Why not get all the secrets? It's one way to appreciate Quake's great level design and there's bound to be gamefaqs for it. There also seems to be a lot of dead air in the video - maybe it'd help to compile a list of things you want to talk about during a level beforehands? You could touch the plot, the whole future/fantasy conflict during development...

...And honestly, least you could do is look up the enemy names. A pretty easy way to do it is to get killed by one.

edit: Sorry if I'm sounding harsh, but honestly, I feel Quake is a pretty drat good game that deserves effort.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 8, 2014

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Not harsh at all, I feel a bit lazy having not got all secrets in those levels, and like you say level design is such a strong point of the series, I'll make it a goal to get every secret in a level. Good point about the enemy names as well, I'll work that in a little better.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ok, I wasn't really happy with the way I did the first video, for a start the quality came out a lot worse than I intended but it also felt a bit cheap not finding all the secrets. I've went back and made that a goal as well as upping the difficulty to make it more interesting and also decided to do post commentary to give me a chance to talk more about the game as a whole.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Ramagamma posted:

Ok, I wasn't really happy with the way I did the first video, for a start the quality came out a lot worse than I intended but it also felt a bit cheap not finding all the secrets. I've went back and made that a goal as well as upping the difficulty to make it more interesting and also decided to do post commentary to give me a chance to talk more about the game as a whole.

Head to the sandbox, friend.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Episode 2 - The Necropolis

Episode two, The Necropolis introducing a new weapon and some of the meanest enemies in the game, the Demon and Shambler.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
On we continue to Episode 3 of Quake.

Pyrogenesis
Feb 19, 2013

It is nice that you're playing Quake. But did you ever wonder whether we'd be more interested in Ramagamma or in Quake?

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I couldn't think of anything funny or witty so I just went with clear and concise. I also didn't mean to tag the thread "poo poo post" but it's sort of appropriate given the art-style. And probably the content. :allears:

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Ramagamma posted:

I couldn't think of anything funny or witty so I just went with clear and concise. I also didn't mean to tag the thread "poo poo post" but it's sort of appropriate given the art-style. And probably the content. :allears:

So far, I'm enjoying the blast down memory lane. It's also interesting to see where all those drat secrets actually were!

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Video for Episode 1, Mission 5, also added a couple of links at the bottom of the op including a 14 minute speed-run :)

Ramagamma fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 26, 2014

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
I remember playing this game a long time ago. First FPS to freak me out with the enemies, particularly the zombie guys, I also remember being pretty amazed by the rendered enemies.

The mods were particularly good, I played the hell out of Quake Paintball.

Do the different difficulties make enemies tougher, or just give you more to deal with?

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Never really got a chance to mess with Quake mods unfortunately :(

Difficultly levels change how many enemies there are and also how fast they attack. Hard and Nightmare have the same amount of foes but in Nightmare they attack faster

Anyways, in this last video I wrap up the last missions, with only the bonus level to come marking the total end of this episode.

Ramagamma fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 26, 2014

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Bonus level, the Ziggurat Vertigo. Vertigo being quite an appropriate description given the low gravity gimmick of the level.

That's the first Episode finished, I'll be back soon with Episode 2, The Realm of Black Magic.

Thanks for watching :)

Ramagamma fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 26, 2014

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Petrol Blue makes a reference to Gamingo

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug

Ramagamma posted:

I couldn't think of anything funny or witty so I just went with clear and concise.

Generally speaking, we tend to go for "Let's Play <Game>" over thread titles like these, but the content itself seems pretty solid so far. Nice work.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Cheers man :)

I've recorded all of episode 2 other than the secret level, it's been a bit of a bitch though, I've struggled with the all kills part of the play-through on a few levels despite going through them multiple times.

It's frustrating but it's holding things up so I'm probably going to throw the commentary over the first few couple of levels and just start pumping them out this weekend.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

You could always PM Geop to rename the thread.

Geop, please rename this thread to "Shake It Baby! - Ramagamma Plays Duke Nukem 3D"

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Ramagamma posted:

I've recorded all of episode 2 other than the secret level, it's been a bit of a bitch though, I've struggled with the all kills part of the play-through on a few levels despite going through them multiple times.

Are you have problems killing something, or can you just not find enough stuff to kill?

If the latter, then FYI: unmodified Quake has a bug where fish are counted twice for the total monster count. Some mods fix this, but if you're playing vanilla Quake you'll never be able to get 100% kills on a level that has fishies in it.

Edit: here's a handy fix for the fish problem if you want to see that magical 100% on the level-end screen: https://www.quaddicted.com/files/mods/q106fishfix.zip

JLaw fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 21, 2014

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm using a mod called Ultimate Quake, I'm unsure how it affects this fish but but certainly it seems impossible to find that last enemy on a couple of levels.

Anyway, had a little break there but I've finished the first mission of Episode 2. Have a gander, and let me know if it looks way too dark. It's fine on my home computer but my office PC makes it look like it's filmed underground.

Might as well finish the next level since it's so short

Ramagamma fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 26, 2014

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Ramagamma posted:

I'm using a mod called Ultimate Quake, I'm unsure how it affects this fish but but certainly it seems impossible to find that last enemy on a couple of levels.

If you're talking about the "Ultimate Quake Patch" from the Steam forums, that's not a mod (in the Quake sense of the word), just a bundle of the soundtrack music files and an old version of the DarkPlaces engine. You can run the fishfix mod or any other Quake mod with it if you like.

There are also a few spots in the Quake maps where there are secret-ish rooms that aren't marked as secrets, some of which contain badguys. For example this guy's woes: http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-help/general-help/10791-missing-enemies.html

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That might explain the few levels where I'm missing an enemy or two, I'm fairly certain I miss 3 fish in this next video so that'll explain the 48/56 kills.

Anyway, enjoy the Crypt of Decay.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Next 2 levels done.

Only one last level to do in Episode 2 as well as the bonus stage of course.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The last level of Episode 2, if you don't count the bonus level and it's an appropriately named chore.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Second bonus level and also the last level of Episode 2.

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug
Congratulations on finishing Episode 2. Am I right in thinking you're playing this in the original engine? If so, what OS are you using it on?

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Firing straight on with Episode 3 of let's play Quake

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
A relatively productive weekend, finished all the recording for Episode 3 and started doing the commentary so bit of a double episode update here.

I'd just like to apologize for how gash the image links for Episode 3 are, I knocked them out quick-ish in a lunch hour and I'm not satisfied with them, anyway, enjoy the quaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Satan's Dark Delight marks the midway point of Episode 3, it's also one of the levels I don't find all the kills on, only managing 43/47 kills but it's time to push on regardless.

• Locked thread