Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Yaldabaoth posted:

This is what happens when we shame people who have nerd hobbies, we scare away all the normal people and leave only those incapable of feeling shame

i've always wanted to try out a tabletop rpg b/c i love reading sourcebooks and poo poo and it looks genuinely interesting, but gently caress me, no way am i playing a tabletop rpg b/c have you seen/heard/smelled the type of people who play them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

ArbitraryC posted:

I think one of the things about nerd games is there's basically two kind of people who play them: people who just like the game... there's plenty of people who enjoyed the game but weren't using it as a way to fit in with nerd peers.

I get that these people exist, but, like, I've never found them and have just long since stopped looking. v:v:v

Also when I was attending college the groups that played tabletop stuff were also known to be the groups to host orgies, so, ugh

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Minorkos posted:

whats with all the "see i went to the nerd store but IM NOT A NERD NOPE"

are you insecure about your nerdiness op?

have you seen nerd culture

who in their right mind wouldnt be ashamed of it

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Sancho posted:

It's like how every goon thinks they're just some lofty outsider that paid $10 and is not a true goon.

I just want to have my cake and eat it too

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Egregious Offences posted:

See if you have any friends that play RPGs, and see if you can join their game.

IMHO, it's best to play with friends. When you read horror stories about weird neckbeards with fetishes and poo poo like that, the first mistake is playing with people you've never met before.

On whether RPGs are good or not is a matter of personal opinion, though.

All of my friends have too much self-respect to play tabletop rpgs though, i'm the weak link :saddowns:

• Locked thread