Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Was your innocence taken by Maleficent?
Yes
No
I don't really remember, but my cornhole sure hurts.
View Results

• Locked thread
IllCamino
Oct 9, 2010

You poke 'em on!
If you haven't seen this article carelessly thrown around social networking feeds already, I've included a link to it below.

re·tard·ed
riˈtärdid
adjective
less advanced in mental, physical, or social development than is usual for one's age.

Am I nothing more than a callous and unfeeling rape enthusiast for thinking this article is retarded? For those of you who haven't seen this magical rapey Disney adventure, nobody gets raped. If anyone was raped it was the audience who was charged $12/ticket. I really just want some sort of validation that I'm not completely insane for thinking that the author of this article is reading way too far into a kid's movie. I've seen arguments in favor of this article suggesting that Disney is notorious for embedding "Wicked" undertones but honestly, what the gently caress? I saw the movie yesterday and I certainly didn't walk out of the theater only to have a PTSD induced seizure.

I skimmed through this author's list of "published" articles and she seems to have a strong desire to tell people what they need as the titles of her articles will show.

LINK TO ORIGINAL ARTICLE
http://lnk.nu/huffingtonpost.com/aca5.html

LINK TO CRAZY ARCHIVE
http://lnk.nu/huffingtonpost.com/aci8/

IllCamino fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IllCamino
Oct 9, 2010

You poke 'em on!
Marvin gon' make everythang okay baby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spi9N4aSFdY

IllCamino
Oct 9, 2010

You poke 'em on!

Effectronica posted:

that doesn't really matter, because scenes in movies like this are usually a collaboration between writer, director, editors, and actors. it's entirely possible that script, direction and editing, and performances collaborated to sexualize the violence and betrayal in a way that, say, woolverton (the writer) didn't intend. what does matter is that we have two people we are told outright desire each other, falling asleep in each other's arms, and then one betrays the other by mutilating them in their sleep. there's hardly a vast gulf between that and it being a symbolic rape.

I feel like if you look at the characters motives and the context of the scene the "vast gulf" is a little bit vaster than "hardly".

Feel Free To Modify This List and Repost

Actual Rape http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape

-the unlawful compelling of a person through physical force or duress to have sexual intercourse.
- any act of sexual intercourse that is forced upon a person.
- can be an act of betrayal but is in no way limited to betrayal of trust
- nothing really gets cut off
-can cause PTSD (and can possibly lead to putting curses on princesses)
- by definition an act of unwanted sexual aggression
- multifaceted motives ranging from culture, desperation, entitlement, anger, power and unchecked horniness

Wing Rape (Scene)
-an act of betrayal (man betrays woman (not actually a woman, a fairy))
-wings are cut off (symbolism?)
-caused PTSD which led her to put a curse on a young girl
-motivated by greed and lust for power
-no sexual overtones
- an act of desperation

I dunno where I'm going with this...

IllCamino fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 8, 2014

IllCamino
Oct 9, 2010

You poke 'em on!
So if I were to convince you that I love you, lure you into a false sense of security and then rob you blind of all of your money could that be interpreted as an allusion to rape? That seems a little far fetched...

IllCamino
Oct 9, 2010

You poke 'em on!

Effectronica posted:

have you ever heard of alexander pope?
Care to elaborate? I assume you're referring to rape of the lock.

• Locked thread