Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Was your innocence taken by Maleficent?
Yes
No
I don't really remember, but my cornhole sure hurts.
View Results

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
symbolism? not in movies!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
imagine if huffington post conned someone into writing an article about how casablanca is a metaphor for american involvement in world war 2. imagine how people would laugh and laugh at such an absurdity

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
there is nothing at all sexual implied by a man and woman falling asleep while holding each other, while the intruding narrator explains that they're infatuated with one another, and there's nothing at all symbolic about cutting off wings. symbolism can only be done by writers people don't read!!!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Hobohemian posted:

Casablanca was specifically written to encourage American involvement in WWII. That's the opposite of a metaphor.

what? the point is that the film is not just an hour and a half of BUY WAR BONDS NOW, it has a plot and a story that use rick as a stand-in for america in general and the whole thing as a metaphor for americans abandoning isolation in favor of internationalism.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ilikedirt posted:

effectronica has the writer of this movie said anything about that scene being a rape allegory just curious

that doesn't really matter, because scenes in movies like this are usually a collaboration between writer, director, editors, and actors. it's entirely possible that script, direction and editing, and performances collaborated to sexualize the violence and betrayal in a way that, say, woolverton (the writer) didn't intend. what does matter is that we have two people we are told outright desire each other, falling asleep in each other's arms, and then one betrays the other by mutilating them in their sleep. there's hardly a vast gulf between that and it being a symbolic rape.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Hobohemian posted:

It literally could not be more direct if Humphrey Bogart looked into the camera and said "Fight the loving Nazis America! gently caress yeah!". That's not what a metaphor is. Homer's "Rosy fingertips of dawn" is a metaphor for a sunrise. A man abandoning isolationism in favor of joining the fight, is not a metaphor for a man abandoning isolationism in favor of joining the fight.

america is a single person? christ you're retarded. maybe you should go write for arianna huffington.

Ilikedirt posted:

imo without some kind of expression of intent by the artist all these kinds of discussions are just people projecting their weird psychological issues or political beliefs onto poo poo especially when its something as low on nuance and artistry as a childrens movie

movies only rarely have a single artist, nor are the creators of a movie intended for children to be able to watch going to come out and say yes or no to an interpretation like this.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

TheJoker138 posted:

Just being betrayed is not rape. Did Seth Rollins rape Dean Ambrose and Roman Reigns on WWE Monday Night Raw last week?

you don't actually live your life in a completely literal manner, so it's a self-imposed stupidity to write things like this

Ilikedirt posted:

also if ur goal is to stop or reduce rape in america i can think of few things less productive/useful than paying to see a childrens movie then writing an article about a childrens movie

people constantly interpret things that they experience, and we live in a culture where people get paid to express those interpretations

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

movies never have a single artist. A few artists make the key frame. Even Walt Disney didn't do all his animation work

in terms of creative outlook, i mean. although actually there is one animated movie that was completely animated by one person, though not voiced.

Hobohemian posted:

Maybe if you had read a book in you entire life you would know the difference between a metaphor and a literal portrayal. Guess that kind of stuff isn't covered by your cartoons. Maybe you should check out Schoolhouse Rock sometime and you'll actually learn something.

yessss keep talking about anime hobohemian

in any case, rick standing in for the usa is a metaphorical portrayal, dude, just like conrad veidt stands in for the nazis as a whole and renault as the occupied nations

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

TheJoker138 posted:

This. Every act of betrayal is not a rape. If she had been walking through the woods, and this other character who she had no interest in jumped her and cut off her wings, then depending on how it was shot/acted/cut/etc. I could see it being a rape metaphor. But this seems like just an act of betrayal to me, on the same level as say, Brutus taking part in the Ides of March. Brutus did not rape Ceaser, and what he did even had way more phallic symbolism than anything in Malefecent.

ah, yes, i remember when brutus and the rest of the senate stabbed caesar while snuggling up to him, in the first folio version of the play

Hobohemian posted:

Do you use the word literally when you mean figuratively too?

okay, go right ahead and explain how metaphors disqualify something from standing in for something else

Ilikedirt posted:

i would argue with a movie as commercial as this one that any real message or symbolism originally intended is just washed out over time by commitee, notes, producer suggestions until it just gets made.

look im not saying you couldnt INTERPRET a scene in a childrens movie as being about rape but honestly its a stretch and spending any amount of time talking about it is wasted energy on things that could actually you know help rape survivors or prevent rape

so is posting. so is cooking food more than minimally necessary. there are a hell of a lot of things people do on a daily basis that diverge from optimal justice seeking, and some clickbait article preying on people's concern for links is bad but doesn't poison its actual content.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
it's funny how people think that interpreting violence during a sexual moment as sexualized violence is a mental leap of incredible proportions

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ilikedirt posted:

just my opinion cultural criticism mixed with activism is just an excuse to watch movies and tv shows and sit on your rear end all day without actually doing anything to further the cause u claim to support

bc actually helping ppl volunteering etc actually requires u to work and not sit behind a comp screen all day(not that you cant do both but lets be honest here)

but tgats just my opinion imo

yeah, but some dipshit getting paid(?) to suck up links for arianna huffington's empire of granola can still say things marginally intelligent, just like how if someone is high for long enough they'll eventually say something profound.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ilikedirt posted:

yes i agree but
i think it does hurt the cause in that it makes ppl take it less seriously when they get flooded w/ dumb poo poo like this. its tiresome and petty and watrrs down the message

yeah that's true

kill huffington and bring down her empire

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Hobohemian posted:

I'll use small words so as not to confuse you. Rick isn't a stand in for America, he is an American. Major Strasser inst a stand in for the Nazis, he is a Nazi. Louie is not a stand in for the occupied French, he is an occupied French. The only way it could be any more literal is if the movie was about America, as in the actual land mass, lifting itself out of the earth, hovering over Germany, and then falling down upon it.

okay, so you're saying that it's not actually a propaganda film, and is just a story about some american doing things. this seems inconsistent but whatever, you were looking directly into the anime abyss.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

IllCamino posted:

I feel like if you look at the characters motives and the context of the scene the "vast gulf" is a little bit vaster than "hardly".

Feel Free To Modify This List and Repost

Actual Rape http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape

-the unlawful compelling of a person through physical force or duress to have sexual intercourse.
- any act of sexual intercourse that is forced upon a person.
- can be an act of betrayal but is in no way limited to betrayal of trust
- nothing really gets cut off
-can cause PTSD (and can possibly lead to putting curses on princesses)
- by definition an act of unwanted sexual aggression
- multifaceted motives ranging from culture, entitlement, anger, power and unchecked horniness

Wing Rape (Scene)
-an act of betrayal (man betrays woman (not actually a woman, a fairy))
-wings are cut off (symbolism?)
-caused PTSD which led her to put a curse on a young girl
-motivated by greed and lust for power

I dunno where I'm going with this...

you're hanging up on the literal events of the scene rather than it being an act of violence in a sexual context, where rape is usually a stand-in for any sexualized violence in today's and yesterday's hosed-up vernacular. in other words, people interpreting "exploiting a sexual relationship with someone to commit a violent act against them" as a rape metaphor isn't a gigantic leap, and everything else in that loving article is just cruft and faggotry.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Hobohemian posted:

It's not even trying to hide being a propaganda film. The movie is loving called "white house" about an indecisive man deciding to join the fight in Europe. You can make the case that Rick is an allegory for FDR. That's a metaphor;but the movie's intentions are in no way metaphorical and in fact explicitly stated.

allegory is when you have direct correspondences between actions/events in a work of art and actions/events in an external work or reality. i guess if you wanna conclude that refusing the german banker is a stand-in for the lend-lease act or whatever go ahead but you're agreeing with me and just being a dick because you dislike my av so whatever.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Hobohemian posted:

I don't think anybody has ever agreed with you in any thread. You always do seem to try to pretend they do though, without fail.

ok, so rick is not a stand-in for the usa and americans, in the film's context as propaganda

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

IllCamino posted:

So if I were to convince you that I love you, lure you into a false sense of security and then rob you blind of all of your money could that be interpreted as an allusion to rape? That seems a little far fetched...

have you ever heard of alexander pope?

Feranon posted:

heaven forbid people not want to sperg out and get critical about every piece of media they consume all the way down to disney flicks about fairies and sleeping beauty. idiot sheeple trying to relax and just enjoy stuff make me angry

why does your enjoyment rest on forcing people to never be critical in your presence? sounds like you're a thin-skinned fag.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

you irl posted:

basically its an emotional reunion of two childhood lovers, they reconnect in the aftermath of a pg battle between their respective people and then suggestively drift to sleep in one another's arms. the camera then zooms onto a bottle and it is revealed that maleficent was drugged and the guy isn't actually asleep. he makes as if to kill her, but wusses out and can't do it. he then looks at her wings and the camera cuts out. she wakes up wingless and cries before turning evil. he uses the wings, instead of her head which the king requested, to claim to the throne.

since the entire rest of the movie has themes of betrayal and bitterness and the existence of true love its kind of dumb to imagine that one scene is a rape metaphor, rather than a literal betrayal by a lover that sets up the remainder of the movie.

if it is a rape metaphor, why? whats that saying? and what is it doing in a movie that doesnt otherwise reference, explicitly or metaphorically, sexual dynamics or sexual violence or abuse? what is the corresponding meaning when she gets her wings back? how come the rapey nature of the bad guy is never referenced in any other way, whereas the betrayal and his descent into greed and paranoia is a recurring theme?

i guess what im saying is im gay

alternatively, it's an unintentional implication, which is why it doesn't fit with the rest of the movie. i guess then it doesn't actually exist or whatever.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

killyoureparents posted:

Rage Hole has pages of posts on a thing that didn't happen in a movie he didn't see lol

still better than stalking someone imo

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

killyoureparents posted:

lol youre a loving retard

you guys missed the rape scene in godzilla? well it was never actually done, but you see..

you're still second-rate until you manage to avoid any sort of engagement whatsoever and just pour pure disdain. at this point, you're making vaguely fact-based statements in your posts which produce the thin illusion of communication, and that may be what you're going for, but if you want to communicate properly you should avoid unwanted interpretations, such as those in the 2014 film starring angeline jolie, elle fanning, and sharlto copley, maleficent

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

killyoureparents posted:

i didn't read this post cause poster is a human being lol

i'm glad to have helped you refine your posts and posting. now go back to stalking trannies and pretending you don't desperately want to bone them.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

RAGE HOLE posted:

I actually read the article that this thread is about which seems pretty remarkable for this conversation.

i've seen the movie, and i suspect most of the people yapping about the article haven't

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Sabel posted:

clicked this thread on a whim wondering why it was so long and was kinda surprised to see killyoureparents-psyop-effectronica going at it again

hi sabel

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

killyoureparents posted:

I don't know what's worse, my utter disdain, contempt, bitterness and hatred for the world, or these human being's posting!

probably you paying money to see this movie in a theater and violating your restraining order

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
i kinda like the thought that if you get something out of a movie or book that wasn't said to be in there by the creators, you're mentally handicapped

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Sabel posted:

Is this like when Zizek reviewed Zero Dark Thirty and lambasted it as jingoistic pro-torture propaganda

nah, the article writer doesn't accuse the makers of anything thankfully

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

you irl posted:

"if you squint your eyes and disregard the plot, themes, and everything else about the movie you can totally see the wing scene as a rape metaphor! better make a bunch of terrible posts about it asap"

your posts are built on the assumption that things only exist in the dimensions of metaphor or literal, and that there are no implications, only explicit denotations. the thing that's going for you is a) many people here loathe discussing things beyond a superficial level, b) many people here fear being seen as caring about the wrong things, and c) it's a weird thing to find in a kid's/family movie. if, say, you did this for jennifer's body and argued that it isn't treating the fragile nature of teenage friendships metaphorically, well

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I don't know what adorable goon drama is going on between Effectronica, killyoureparents & Sabel that is making you bitches drag it into every loving thread but it's really distracting from this serious discussion of how everything is rape.

is there really any difference between you and somebody posting :gas: in response to every thread? i mean, i've smiled at that once or twice when it was done cleverly, but your schtick actively drains joy and life from the world

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I've literally never done that so I don't know why or how you decided that it's my "schtick". Are you saying that bickering with killyoureparents is just a confusing & elaborate gimmick?

Is this a rape metaphor? Have they become that pervasive?

i guess i'm confusing you with everybody else who has decided to boldly post "lol everything is rape now i guess" as though any normal human being would yuk it up at that instead of grimacing and maybe groaning a little.

killyoureparents posted:

if it is, i suggest you stop now before you end up constantly wishing death upon all that surrounds you and hating everything and everybody like myself.

hahaha wow, i used "disdain" to describe your opinion of the article and you take it to this level. intellectual

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

gently caress the ROW posted:

It relaly speaks to the high caliber of your fuckin beautiful mind that you'd click and read an entire jezebel article. Not just once probably, but specifically, to see what they said about a disney movie. I'd like to open a wormhole to your screen and throttle the gay life out of your stupid posts, but as my hands shoot out of the monitor I'd reconsider and just deliver a soft blow to your cheek haha

huffington post!!! didn't you read the op??

killyoureparents posted:

i was actually realposting about my life you self-absorbed shithead.

i don't know why you assume i'm responding to you when i quote you

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

killyoureparents posted:

Uhh.. just because there's nothing in the original text to support that interpretation, nor is there any conceivable reason to be thinking about rape during a children's movie, and none of the writers or people associated with the film or story in any way has said anything even remotely close to this scene being about rape doesn't make it the movie's fault that you're too much of a retard to understand subtlety.

it's pretty funny how much cruft people add on top of "stop thinking about kid's movies" as though they're more convincing when they start widening things to include actual high literature as collateral damage

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

you irl posted:

sounds like something a rapist would say tbh

"the author never said this" includes the waste land (eliot only ever wrote what was misdirection), ulysses, remembrance of things past, shakespeare, and in fact 90% of all worthy novels. the author explaining the meaning rarely happens.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

killyoureparents posted:

Therefore, rape occurs in all of these works because *faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart*

do you look at this and think that it sounds marginally smart?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

you irl posted:

hrrrrmmmm yessss hrrrmmmm *puffs pipe*

amazingly, your willingness to seriouspost disappears as soon as it isn't just reiterating the events of the film.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

you irl posted:

scene one: im gay
scene two: faaaaaaart
scene three: *rapes u*

you irl posted:

basically its an emotional reunion of two childhood lovers, they reconnect in the aftermath of a pg battle between their respective people and then suggestively drift to sleep in one another's arms. the camera then zooms onto a bottle and it is revealed that maleficent was drugged and the guy isn't actually asleep. he makes as if to kill her, but wusses out and can't do it. he then looks at her wings and the camera cuts out. she wakes up wingless and cries before turning evil. he uses the wings, instead of her head which the king requested, to claim to the throne.

since the entire rest of the movie has themes of betrayal and bitterness and the existence of true love its kind of dumb to imagine that one scene is a rape metaphor, rather than a literal betrayal by a lover that sets up the remainder of the movie.

if it is a rape metaphor, why? whats that saying? and what is it doing in a movie that doesnt otherwise reference, explicitly or metaphorically, sexual dynamics or sexual violence or abuse? what is the corresponding meaning when she gets her wings back? how come the rapey nature of the bad guy is never referenced in any other way, whereas the betrayal and his descent into greed and paranoia is a recurring theme?

i guess what im saying is im gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Trixie Hardcore posted:

It could be said that the universal theme running through all great fiction is implied rape.

it could be said that whoever is honest in very little is trustworthy in much, and whoever is dishonest in little is untrustworthy in much

• Locked thread