Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
http://jezebel.com/instant-palm-to-face-if-asians-said-the-stuff-white-pe-1587855319/all

I thought this was an eye-opening look at how problematically us white people tend to homogenize Asians into a monolithic entity without any care towards them. We otherize them, and indeed one can spot how the male gaze tends to affect how Asian women are seen in our society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Nothing like a Jezebel article reposting a Buzzfeed article.

also lol chinky eyed chinapeople

Blahsmack
Oct 25, 2003

one word : anime

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
this video, but unironically

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
what is the white person equivalent to "ching chong"?

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Tennessee where is that even rofl

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

if you watch the video, youll see it is talking with a drooling southern accent about cheese, which ive got to say is pretty spot on

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
if i homogenized asians then i wouldn't be able to tell you that
lol tier < malaysian < south vietnamese < thai < north vietnamese < mainland chinese < korean < hong kong chinese < japanese

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

"Y'all." Maybe?

unlimited shrimp posted:

lol tier < malaysian < south vietnamese < thai < north vietnamese < mainland chinese < korean < hong kong chinese < japanese

Those poor Phillipinos. :(

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

unlimited shrimp posted:

wonderingh where hmong Vietnamese fit in to this

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
i think its hilarious that the url says "instant-palm-to-face-if-asians-said-the-stuff-white-pe" like they were going with that for a little bit but then decided gently caress it lets go with absurd.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
this video fails to capture how little a white person would actually care about any of those comments

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
like if an asian woman came up to me and said she was super into overbearing white guys & was super into my ancestry i would be like "yessssssssssssssss"

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010
asian people have asked me where my ancestors were from. should i be offended? i thought it was just conversation.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

unlimited shrimp posted:

It's a little bit simpler than this. You have high-caliber Asians, like Japanese, Singaporeans, whichever Chinese aren't Han, South Korea, etc. Everything else is low-caliber Asian. Middle ground (not awful like, say, Laos, but def not on Singapore level) is Thai & Phillipines, though that last one is a stretch only because I know some cool Filipinos.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Prodigal T-REX posted:

wonderingh where hmong Vietnamese fit in to this

mass graves

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

rezatahs posted:

mass graves

lol

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

"i'm not racist but"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
white people came up with the english language, this video doesn't make any sense. maybe if they were in china. loving asians breaking down stereotypes about them being smart.

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax
im pretty sure they actually do say that kind of poo poo all the time over in japan

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
e: ^^^ yeah there was that "I am a japanese schoolteacher" blog I read back in highschool about a black dude doing the JET program and surprise surprise there's really overt racism against people who aren't part of the major ethnic group everywhere. One of my favorite parts is he was asked about how many guns he owned on several occasions.

Do people actually ask any of those questions anymore? Like I grew up in seattle so we have a pretty large asian population but I can't even think of a time when someone was asked that unless they were an obvious 1st generation like an exchange student or something. I work with a lot of people from india and china who moved over here for school/work in their 20's and showing genuine interest in their home and culture isn't something anyone is offended by or doesn't like talking about.

I dunno this video seems a bit prejudice against white people imo, some very problematic generalizations.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 9, 2014

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

ArbitraryC posted:

Do people actually ask any of those questions anymore? Like I grew up in seattle so we have a pretty large asian population but I can't even think of a time when someone was asked that unless they were an obvious 1st generation like an exchange student or something. I work with a lot of people from india and china who moved over here for school/work in their 20's and showing genuine interest in their home and culture isn't something anyone is offended by or doesn't like talking about.

I dunno this video seems a bit prejudice against white people imo, some very problematic generalizations.
I don't get asked that so I dunno. also from west coast though so maybe it's diff in the rest of the country?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

a hole-y ghost posted:

I don't get asked that so I dunno. also from west coast though so maybe it's diff in the rest of the country?
Yeah I mean we got plenty of nerdy guys who fetishize asian women up here but comments on chopsticks (really who doesn't know how to use chopsticks in 2014) and complementing someone for not having an accent are things I literally can't even recall once incident of happening.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

ArbitraryC posted:

Yeah I mean we got plenty of nerdy guys who fetishize asian women up here but comments on chopsticks (really who doesn't know how to use chopsticks in 2014) and complementing someone for not having an accent are things I literally can't even recall once incident of happening.
you know now that I think about it, I guess I don't get intentional stuff like that, but I always get mistaken for other asian guys. like I'm filipino, I shave my head, and I'm about 6' and I kept getting mistaken for this korean guy that had long hair with highlights and was like 5'4"

I always thought it was an advantage rather than a handicap though

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
Criminalize the male gaze

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

The good thing about being filipino though is that you can claim to be just about any ethnicity in the world except black or white and people will be like, "oh yeah"

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

rezatahs posted:

mass graves

:drat:

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
This video assumes that minorities don't do that already.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

a hole-y ghost posted:

The good thing about being filipino though is that you can claim to be just about any ethnicity in the world except black or white and people will be like, "oh yeah"

I know a black guy who gets regularly mistaken for a Phillipino, he doesn't much care for it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Was this video supposed to make me angry as a white person or something? It's pretty funny and some of us DO do those things.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

you comee a whorhouse? you comee and make gently caress now-la

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hey Round Eye!

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Volume posted:

Hey Round Eye!

hey what's up

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcUi6UEQh00

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm
I just wish there wouldn't have been that one rear end in a top hat nerd yelling out every awkwardly pronounced English word in echo every time I have seen anime in a public place.

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm

"I'm lovin' it"

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

Whenever I see this I feel compelled to tell this story:

This song was big in Italy when my mother went back to her town. She had just learned English and her cousins were begging her to translate the song.

She said, it's not English, it's bullshit. They didn't believe it.

Celentano did this song as a jab at Italians who loved any foreign language song without knowing what the meaning was. So he said he can do a song in "English" and make it a hit. It was.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

My GF tried to give me poo poo about something like this the other day, but it's not like I really know and/or give a gently caress about the big differences between Germans, French, or whatever random European country some white jackass is from or what they do over there.

Not that I expect anyone to give a poo poo exactly where I'm from and what that means.

*didn't read the link gently caress clicking jezebel anything*

Fireless Phoenix
May 4, 2012

by Lowtax
Asians have got to be the most bullshit people ever. "Why do you only hang out with other Asians" is a perfectly valid, if socially ungraceful question to ask. They get pissy bc the reasons they stick to their own kind are backwards - arrogance, a superiority complex and a fear of outsiders that is negated by the safety-in-numbers thing. And please let's not get started on the "woe is me, people won't date me"/"sexual racism targets Asians!" when Asians are happy to dole out the same prejudices to non-white races bc for some reason Asians crave that sweet white cock/pussy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
I like bmo

• Locked thread