Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boner Medicine
Feb 1, 2014
There are an endless amount of good books to read, brilliant movies to watch, theater performances to soak in, music to explore, and countless other forms of arts and entertainment.

Why do people watch others play video games online? It seems like a waste of time.

Livestream deez nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Because its cool

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
i told my 44 y.o. friend about the whole video game streaming thing and he absolutely refused to believe me until i showed him twitch.tv then he just shook his head and said "man, white people"

Boner Medicine
Feb 1, 2014

nutranurse posted:

i told my 44 y.o. friend about the whole video game streaming thing and he absolutely refused to believe me until i showed him twitch.tv then he just shook his head and said "man, white people… also korean, japanese, and thai people"

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Boner Medicine posted:

There are an endless amount of good books to read, brilliant movies to watch, theater performances to soak in, music to explore, and countless other forms of arts and entertainment.

Why do people watch others play video games online? It seems like a waste of time.

Livestream deez nuts.

yeah but in reality most people are just gonna watch the bachelorette or some poo poo so im pretty sure watching a dude play a video game is on par with that at least

CruJones
Feb 22, 2006

by Lowtax
i guess i can see, like, not being able toafford a game, and like, living vicariously through someone else, but otherwise, poo poo's boring. especially Minecraft let's plays.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I used to watch my big sister play them as a little girl and it reminds me of my childhood. :unsmith:
I also like watching people play horror games because I love them but am terrible at them.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

lets plats rawk! !!!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Das Boo posted:

I also like watching people play horror games because I love them but am terrible at them.

actually this is the only way i can experience horror games these days since im a baby who cannot take actually playing through a scary scenario

sometimes at work i'll watch a lp b/c work is boring and i'd rather watch a lp than try to look busy, i think the tedious reality of office jobs has a lot to do with it

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
let's plays: for when you're too lazy to even play a video game yourself

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

dontev en get me started on straeming sites such as justin.tv andetc like that~!!

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
Because we have really poor access to mental health treatment in this country.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

fighting game tournaments are entertaining to watch

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

nutranurse posted:

actually this is the only way i can experience horror games these days since im a baby who cannot take actually playing through a scary scenario

This is the reason I'm terrible at them! :v:

Boner Medicine
Feb 1, 2014

Dr. Carwash posted:

yeah but in reality most people are just gonna watch the bachelorette or some poo poo so im pretty sure watching a dude play a video game is on par with that at least

yeah, that's true.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

im very bad at video games myself so i enjpy the ither people who pelay them for me its win/win!

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I don't get it, you could literally be playing the game yourself.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
nobody makes any of the really good strategy guides anymore

remember kasey chang's xcom guides? that poo poo was choice imo

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
lps of games like xcom or fire emblem are ok because it's funny to watch someone get relentlessly owned by the rng

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

tranime scholar posted:

lps of games like xcom or fire emblem are ok because it's funny to watch someone get relentlessly owned by the rng

paradox lps before ck2 fell under a similar exception because watching the game be played was more entertaining than the actual game

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

various cheeses posted:

I don't get it, you could literally be playing the game yourself.

You're right I could shell out 60 bucks for a video game, then spend countless hours mucking around in that video game trying to find all the cool fiddly bits the developers put into it or alternately I could look up a walk-through or something online and cut out a few of those countless hours - still a sizable time investment though - oooor I could go to youtube and see some other guy do all that stuff for me while cutting out the boring bits.

What I'm saying is that if you want something out of video games other than the visceral thrill of pulling the plastic trigger, you can probably find that something in an LP at much less personal cost of time and energy to yourself.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Because the people who generally watch LPs are under 20 and are retarded larvae-humans

Boner Medicine
Feb 1, 2014

Effectronica posted:

nobody makes any of the really good strategy guides anymore

remember kasey chang's xcom guides? that poo poo was choice imo

i remember the big rear end code books and i would spend 19.95 on a book that had codes/cheats for 100 games and i only owned 4-5 of them

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Effectronica posted:

paradox lps before ck2 fell under a similar exception because watching the game be played was more entertaining than the actual game

this is acceptable too. the 'sucks to be you' clause

kenny powers
Feb 19, 2011

by XyloJW
watching people speed run games on twitch can be pretty entertaining. super mario 64, zelda and pokemon usually, my childhood revisited.

it's just mindless entertainment in the same vein as tv/movies. maybe a bit more involved, but barely.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Sinking Ship posted:

You're right I could shell out 60 bucks for a video game, then spend countless hours mucking around in that video game trying to find all the cool fiddly bits the developers put into it or alternately I could look up a walk-through or something online and cut out a few of those countless hours - still a sizable time investment though - oooor I could go to youtube and see some other guy do all that stuff for me while cutting out the boring bits.

What I'm saying is that if you want something out of video games other than the visceral thrill of pulling the plastic trigger, you can probably find that something in an LP at much less personal cost of time and energy to yourself.

Sinking Ship posted:

I for one am glad the only general discussion forum was converted into yet another lovely FYAD-lite (FYAD in turn being a lovely 4chan-lite) if we go deep enough presumably interesting content will start being generated again and Something Awful will once again enjoy relevance on the internet scene.

Dely Apple posted:

Because the people who generally watch LPs are under 20 and are retarded larvae-humans

how does it feel to be less compassionate than a corporate consultant?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Sinking Ship posted:

lmao go outside you dork

yoder00
Dec 29, 2008

by Ralp
why do people even do stuff? :2bong:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Boner Medicine posted:

i remember the big rear end code books and i would spend 19.95 on a book that had codes/cheats for 100 games and i only owned 4-5 of them

i had so many of these books

so many

and i'd always be green with envy to know that there were so many games out there that my poor rear end family could afford to get

i used to read the books and imagine what magical things you could do in the games

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
I watched a dungeon crawl stone soup LP because I sucked really bad at any roguelike. Now it's fun.

Checkmatenigga

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Twitch.tv's face streamers are the precursor to Fahrenheit 451's parlor walls.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

nutranurse posted:

i had so many of these books

so many

and i'd always be green with envy to know that there were so many games out there that my poor rear end family could afford to get

haha i was actually talking about the archaic form of the online walkthrough, when people would actually try to mimic high-quality paper guides instead of doing big ASCII doodles

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE
because i have a mac :(

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004
Its like the cucking of the video game world. You like to watch while i finish off your game

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

porkchop_express posted:

Its like the cucking of the video game world

i actually know of 0 popular black streamers so this comparison fails miserably

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

porkchop_express posted:

Its like the cucking of the video game world

wrong because cucking isn't gay and lame. stop insulting my namesake

The Droid