Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brick cow
Oct 22, 2008
my sister uses youtube lps to babysit her children. my nephews 3 and 5 love watching people play minecraft and will do it for 12 hours a day. my sister loves it because she doesn't have to be a parent. lps are a godsend.

ergo, if you like to watch lps you have the maturity/intelligence of a 3 to 5 year old with an absentee parent.

i might break my sisters computer so these kiddos aren't 300 lbs by their 10th birthdays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

nutranurse posted:

i had so many of these books

so many

and i'd always be green with envy to know that there were so many games out there that my poor rear end family could afford to get

i used to read the books and imagine what magical things you could do in the games

oh man me too hardcore i had a game genie code book and these three books on tips and cheats for nes games and i used to constantly picture what it must have been like. i played them all when i could get roms and gently caress they were awful for the most part

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

nutranurse posted:

i actually know of 0 popular black streamers so this comparison fails miserably

pick a fighting game stream and you have a 50% chance of it being done by black ppl

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Jesus, people get pissed about how other people spend tbeir spare time.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Das Boo posted:

Jesus, people get pissed about how other people spend tbeir spare time.

let's plays are the most popular thing about this site and it has some of the weirder posters because of it, so people latch onto it as an explanation for the decline and fall of the goon empire

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

redstormpopcorn posted:

Twitch.tv's face streamers are the precursor to Fahrenheit 451's parlor walls.

This.

Why do people actually watch twitch and other game streams? Sometimes you just want to chill and watching games is pretty low stress. It is also social as you get chat and interaction with other people watching or the streamer.

It's a good way to review a game. Would you believe some man-child game journalist who has been paid for a review, or just see someone playing the game for yourself. You can even ask them about specific aspects of the game or game mechanics.

Some streamers do specific interesting runs which are :effort:, some are charity runs and some are just exceptional at a particular game.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Effectronica posted:

let's plays are the most popular thing about this site and it has some of the weirder posters because of it, so people latch onto it as an explanation for the decline and fall of the goon empire

what was the rise of the goon empire?

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
almost as weird as people posting about how much they hate some tv show becaue it's the most popular one. cool points for you.

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

jackyl posted:

2 weeks in july '08

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

jackyl posted:

Goatse.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

jackyl posted:

getting slenderman to stab a 12 y.o.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

jackyl posted:

from uh, terrible secret of space to 4chan, as a latter-day historian

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Effectronica posted:

you can't tell me that the boatloads of tumblr rejects that regged because of that dadgum ronpaul or w/e game haven't been a net negative

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

tranime scholar posted:

you can't tell me that the boatloads of tumblr rejects that regged because of that dadgum ronpaul or w/e game haven't been a net negative

they keep to their own little world of LP and PYF mostly, venturing out in ones and twos to get brutally owned by a casual sighting of the word friend of the family

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Effectronica posted:

they keep to their own little world of LP and PYF mostly, venturing out in ones and twos to get brutally owned by a casual sighting of the word friend of the family

true. they provide a valuable service in keeping the gasmine filled with 10 daily threads about how saying the human being word is bad

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

tranime scholar posted:

true. they provide a valuable service in keeping the gasmine filled with 10 daily threads about how saying the human being word is bad

we had one of 'em in this thread too

lemme exorcise him for sure

kikes

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

Effectronica posted:

we had one of 'em in this thread too

lemme exorcise him for sure

kikes

the power of kikes compels you the power of kikes compels you.

i need a old fag and a young fag

Tubesock
Apr 20, 2002

I watch LPs all the time but I don't have any friends so I can't be shamed for it. Checkmate friend-havers.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Two reasons to watch streams/LP's:

I watch LP's to see if a game I'm interested in looks cool enough to buy.

I sparingly watch replays of pro LoL games to improve my own play.

Why anyone watches them for recreational purposes instead of playing games themselves? :iiam:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The only let's plays I find acceptable to watch regularly are games I would never play otherwise, so usually terrible games like AVGN or Lowtax's channel. Watching a stream of someone playing just any popular game for an extended period of time... why?

A girl I know supposedly makes $200 a week or every other week just from streaming herself playing video games. I told her, "you know that you're getting all those views because they are jerking it watching you play, right?" "Yeah I know."

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Modern games are a lot like work, mmo grinding and stuff, grind this farm this, better to watch someone else suffer. Dark Souls for example, as much as I enjoy it, watching others suffering through it is comparative and sometimes more entertaining, this is not counting the PVP of course.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
it can be really entertaining with the right personality/game, and they actually know wtf they are doing. i used to stream a few games and people couldn't seem to get enough of my mount and blade 24/7 rap stream for some reason

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
it's mostly white noise since i'm out of poo poo that interests me on Netflix/cable tv

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

video games are cool and insanely rad; conversely; theatre is terrible and homo

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

StarkWhite posted:

video games are cool and insanely rad; conversely; theatre is terrible and homo

soon we'll be able to go to the movie theater for a showing of pewdiepie :munch:

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
The future where people watch someone else play a video game via video is insanely and brutally gay

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

A girl I know supposedly makes $200 a week or every other week just from streaming herself playing video games. I told her, "you know that you're getting all those views because they are jerking it watching you play, right?" "Yeah I know."

This is also why Lowtax streams games as well. Think of all those guys jerking it.

e: This may also explain TotalBiscuit's popularity.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 10, 2014

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Sometimes my kids watch videos of other people playing video games and I ask them why and they tell me it's because I'm not letting them play video games right now. Then I give them illegal fireworks and kick them outside.

BlueChocolate
Jan 4, 2014

Boner Medicine posted:

brilliant movies to watch

name one

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
I watch LPs to get what I want out of a game for a console I don't own so I can save hundreds of dollars by not actually buying it.
Looking at you, Ground Zeroes

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Withnail posted:

Sometimes my kids watch videos of other people playing video games and I ask them why and they tell me it's because I'm not letting them play video games right now. Then I give them illegal fireworks and kick them outside.

how many fingers do they have left

cannibal holocaust

Boner Medicine
Feb 1, 2014

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I MAKE $200 FROM HOME EVERY WEEK JUST BY FOLLOWING THIS ONE WEIRD TRICK

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
Autism

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is Totalshitcunt dead from asscancer yet?

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
severe mental inanity and loneliness, op

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Morbid curiosity.

Boner Medicine
Feb 1, 2014

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Okay so is it the same person reposting this thread all the time or what

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Sinking Ship posted:

You're right I could shell out 60 bucks for a video game, then spend countless hours mucking around in that video game trying to find all the cool fiddly bits the developers put into it or alternately I could look up a walk-through or something online and cut out a few of those countless hours - still a sizable time investment though - oooor I could go to youtube and see some other guy do all that stuff for me while cutting out the boring bits.

What I'm saying is that if you want something out of video games other than the visceral thrill of pulling the plastic trigger, you can probably find that something in an LP at much less personal cost of time and energy to yourself.

How des it feel to be broken enough to have sincerely typed something like this out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Devian666 posted:

This.

Why do people actually watch twitch and other game streams? Sometimes you just want to chill and watching games is pretty low stress. It is also social as you get chat and interaction with other people watching or the streamer.

It's a good way to review a game. Would you believe some man-child game journalist who has been paid for a review, or just see someone playing the game for yourself. You can even ask them about specific aspects of the game or game mechanics.

Some streamers do specific interesting runs which are :effort:, some are charity runs and some are just exceptional at a particular game.

There is nothing social about the internet. Go outside.

• Locked thread