Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well its not a very good show.

No, but it's like a car crash. Can't look away.

How many more episodes are there? Can't have too much more to suffer through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

It's not a great show but it isn't offensively bad. But still, at this point I'm only watching for the bloodbath that's going to happen aaaaany week now.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The actress that plays Molly is just awful. The character is very poorly written, but she just can't bring anything to it at all. She has the same wide eyed look on her face no matter what is going on. Can't wait for her and the family to disappear from the show.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Strabo4 posted:

It's not a great show but it isn't offensively bad. But still, at this point I'm only watching for the bloodbath that's going to happen aaaaany week now.

I guess I shouldn't have said "worst show I've ever seen" and instead gone with "the least fun show I have ever seen"

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Solice Kirsk posted:

The actress that plays Molly is just awful. The character is very poorly written, but she just can't bring anything to it at all. She has the same wide eyed look on her face no matter what is going on. Can't wait for her and the family to disappear from the show.

Opened a bunch of tabs at once and thought this was the Star Trek thread :3

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
Wow, that last episode could have been interesting, but instead was just melodramatic trash.

The real problem with this show is that the only character I like -- not just care about, but actually like -- is Jamal. Why the gently caress do I like Jamal? I should hate him, or at least be more disturbed by him. But compared to everyone else, he's the only real person we're looking at. Everyone else is a cardboard cutout, and their motivations are so obscure and/or ridiculous that they come off as just vile, repugnant people. Ashraf Barhom is way too good for this show, so good that its actually helping make the show worse. By giving his character depth and personality, when no other actor is doing the same (or can't, because of the writing), he comes off as the sympathetic character here surrounded by lovely, empty people.

I actually felt bad for him in the last scene.

Jake Armitage fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 13, 2014

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
I realize they need to get Barry in charge soon, but the writers didn't do a credible job of getting him from "Get me out of here! I told you we shouldn't have come!" to "I think I'm gonna run this place."

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I was hoping for more

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Jake Armitage posted:

Wow, that last episode could have been interesting, but instead was just melodramatic trash.

The real problem with this show is that the only character I like -- not just care about, but actually like -- is Jamal. Why the gently caress do I like Jamal? I should hate him, or at least be more disturbed by him. But compared to everyone else, he's the only real person we're looking at. Everyone else is a cardboard cutout, and their motivations are so obscure and/or ridiculous that they come off as just vile, repugnant people. Ashraf Barhom is way too good for this show, so good that its actually helping make the show worse. By giving his character depth and personality, when no other actor is doing the same (or can't, because of the writing), he comes off as the sympathetic character here surrounded by lovely, empty people.

I actually felt bad for him in the last scene.

Count me in as well. #TeamJamal

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Dead Snoopy posted:

Count me in as well. #TeamJamal

I liked him before but I love him now after his David Lee Roth speech

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I'm hoping for this takes a dark comic turn where there is constantly a failed coup attempt against Jamal but things gently caress up and Barry's family keeps getting hurt as a result, w/ Clouseau-esque accidents. #TeamJamal

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I realize they need to get Barry in charge soon, but the writers didn't do a credible job of getting him from "Get me out of here! I told you we shouldn't have come!" to "I think I'm gonna run this place."

The writers want to have all their super shocking, dramatic moments without actually earning any of them. Even putting aside all the terrible characters, writing, and acting, the entire premise doesn't really work without a ton of build-up and development. Having Barry and his family stuck into the government after one episode was an insane decision and everything since has just piled it on.

This show is really bad. I don't know why I keep watching it.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Molly started working for the hospital after one scene and nobody even mentioned it. She didn't even catch a little bit of heat from the inner circle for helping a criminal.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I thought about that this last episode, brought it up to my roommates, and we all decided that the writers (like us) just didn't give a poo poo.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Jamal is definitely being portrayed by the best actor on the show. He's done some nasty poo poo, but you feel sorry for the guy because his father broke him and all he wants to do is go back to distant, happy memories of his childhood just fishing and playing soccer or spending days relaxing on beaches.

I did like "With whose money?" near the end of the episode, though. gently caress that stupid character. Bassam's American family needs to be sent over to Chester's Mill.

EDIT: I kind of missed it, but early on in the episode did Jamal tell Bassam that he was going to try and become a better person so that Bassam would never have to bail him out like he did with the Sheikh again? We're going to get a storyline where the coup starts happening while Jamal is trying to redeem himself, ending in tragedy.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 14, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I need to see a montage of the awful jogging scenes.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

mcmagic posted:

I need to see a montage of the awful jogging scenes.

Sync them up to the awful jogging scenes in The Leftovers and House of Cards. It's a goddamn trend. It's like "hey we need 5 more minutes of material. Send the man actor and a cameraman jogging, SCENE"

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Anyone still watching this?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

TheAngryDrunk posted:

i watch but i'm a couple episodes behind because i watch it with my father after we have dinner on sundays. it's ok but i wouldn't miss it if it gets cancelled

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

TheAngryDrunk posted:

yes, only because the premise was soo good. It should have been a breaking bad slow burn where very very slowly Bashar Al-Assad (or rather bassam al fayeed) turns into the badguy.

Instead we have a show with no subtlety and horrible characterizations. It still watch for the premise.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My roommates and I not quite hate watch it, but sort of dislike watch it. Every week we crack each other up by trying to guess the emotion the actress who plays Molly is trying to portray in each scene. I won this time with "heartbreaking realization."

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
If the show gets a second season, I hope his wife keeps her promise and never returns to the country with their awful kids and her awful sister. Just write their characters off the show entirely.

Her naive idiocy about thinking she could just go back to her job in the States and live in her own home after the coup happened (regardless of whether it succeeded or not) was just the final straw. There is no excuse for writing her character to be quite that stupid.

A potential second season needs to be all about President Bassam going full Scarface after he betrays his own family and learns how ruthless a person has to be to maintain a dictatorship, and wrestling with being forcibly turned into a total shitbag.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Yeah, the dumbass wife is just the worst character. She's the one that kept arguing with Bassam to stay and interfere with the country's politics, then gets upset when he actually does it?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Her whole character is simply written to be contradictory. She has no agency of her own.

edit:
Oh, and Jamal totally knows what Bassam is up to right? Thats why he keeps laying it on real thick talking about loyalty and family and doesn't mention Tarric's name when he says they have enemies in the palace. Would also explain why dude he shot was all nervous at the meeting.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 20, 2014

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jamal isn't a long con sort of guy. I doubt he could keep his poker face long enough to catch Barry

egoslicer
Jun 13, 2007
The actor for Jamal and the actress playing his wife are killing it, imo. It's such a contrast with Barry and Molly. I almost wish they weren't in the show and we could watch more of a political thriller than the whitewashed drama.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

TheAngryDrunk posted:

i got about 5 minutes into last nights episode and then quit

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

If they had an at all good actor for Bassam the show would probably be ok, but the actor is just so boring. Jamal has the same writing but still manages to be interesting because his actor is pretty good.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

If they had an at all good actor for Bassam the show would probably be ok, but the actor is just so boring. Jamal has the same writing but still manages to be interesting because his actor is pretty good.

I don't mind the actor, they've just been waiting way too long for his Michael Corleone turn.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

As the coup is going down, I keep thinking that they cast Bassam based on what he was in America and not what they'd need him to be. Like, I'd believe this guy was a pediatrician. Over throwing his brother and becoming a dictator, not so much.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

egoslicer posted:

The actor for Jamal and the actress playing his wife are killing it

I disagree. I think the actor playing Jamal has managed to hide a fairly wooden performance behind an accent, not to mention that playing a full-blown psychopath naturally means that his character displays a greater range of emotions than the rest of the cast.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Athenry posted:

As the coup is going down, I keep thinking that they cast Bassam based on what he was in America and not what they'd need him to be. Like, I'd believe this guy was a pediatrician. Over throwing his brother and becoming a dictator, not so much.

But he shot that man when he was a kid and he's brown so he's got dictatorship in him

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

JohnSherman posted:

I disagree. I think the actor playing Jamal has managed to hide a fairly wooden performance behind an accent, not to mention that playing a full-blown psychopath naturally means that his character displays a greater range of emotions than the rest of the cast.
I've seen a lot of wooden performances in my time and his cannot be described that way in good faith. That doesn't necessarily mean he's running a thespian's clinic, however.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Also Bassam needs to get over the fact that people are dying. Did he think he could have a bloodless coup? What a moron. Not as dumb as the wife though. "MORE LIES!!" drat girl I just thought of it

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Fateo McMurray posted:

Also Bassam needs to get over the fact that people are dying. Did he think he could have a bloodless coup? What a moron. Not as dumb as the wife though. "MORE LIES!!" drat girl I just thought of it

I thought John Tucker explained that quite well.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Fateo McMurray posted:

Her screaming about Bassams coup inside of the palace so that anyone who had happened to be within 50m probably would have heard was just :shepicide:

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Xoidanor posted:

Her screaming about Bassams coup inside of the palace so that anyone who had happened to be within 50m probably any bugs placed by anyone would have heard was just :shepicide:

fixed

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Yeah that was hilarious, there's no way that their dad didn't have every single room bugged. Even Jamal was smart enough to at least go onto a balcony and whisper.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

When he was originally telling her on the beach after the 500th running scene they really seemed to like showing her iphone sticking out of her pocket mic side up. Could just be product placement, but my first thought was someone is listening via hacked mic or whatever and that whole thing is recorded.

First rule of a coup: don't tell anyone about the coup unless they're directly helping you pull it off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Fateo McMurray posted:

When he was originally telling her on the beach after the 500th running scene they really seemed to like showing her iphone sticking out of her pocket mic side up. Could just be product placement, but my first thought was someone is listening via hacked mic or whatever and that whole thing is recorded.

First rule of a coup: don't tell anyone about the coup unless they're directly helping you pull it off

"More lies!" [stares blank faced with half smile despite being sad/angry/betrayed]

• Locked thread