Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Bloodborne is a Playstation 4 action RPG co-developed by From Software (Demon's Souls, Dark Souls) and SCE Japan Studio. You take the role of a wanderer making a pilgrimage to Yharnam, an ancient city known for its healing remedies. Yharnam has been blighted by a horrific illness that causes its residents to become monsters, and the people that remain engage in nightly hunts to kill the beasts. The settings are Victorian in nature, and combat differs from the Souls games with the inclusion of rudimentary guns, and a more active approach to enemy encounters. Development began shortly after the completion of the Dark Souls "Artorias of the Abyss" DLC, with Hidetaka Miyazaki as director.

Release Date (2015): March 24 (US), March 25 (EU), March 26 (Japan), March 27 (UK/Ireland)
Official Sites: US | JP

Gameplay
IGN 2015 - Story Trailer
IGN 2015 - First 18 Minutes
IGN 2015 - New Boss Spoiler
IGN 2015 - Character Creation
PSX 2014 - Chalice Dungeon
TGAs 2014 - Co-op Gameplay (Boss Spoiler)
Network Test Alpha 2014 - All Weapons
Gamescom 2014 - Gameplay Trailer
Gamescom 2014 - Demo Playthrough
Pre-E3/TGS 2013 Leaked "Project Beast" Footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G203e1HhixYhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmnGHp-NXuk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Crk_GpxGQEhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5o8jwqKsDE

Watchword GOONHUNT
Goonborne PSN IDs (post in thread with ID to get added)
PSN ID [SA forum name]
pelvispinata [a harpy]
sjackson12 [actionjackson]
joe124013 [alansmithee]
SeeMoreBears [Annoying Reveler]
Drunkenengr [Anti-Hero]
Azubah [Azubah]
richardgatsby [Bogart]
BreakAtmo [BreakAtmo]
MartianHideEgger [BugBlatter]
UltimateZAR [CharlestonJew]
Demicol [Demicol]
Dialgadude [DialtheDude]
dontaht [dontaht]
Robotisize [DrCthulhu]
Hidolfr [Dzus]
NotECEC [EC]
Nexypoo [ecavalli]
Kaje1980 [Floridiot]
LotusGramarye [Genocyber]
AxeFace [HairyManling]
HaitianDivorce94 [HaitianDivorce]
ProfVideogames [Harrow]
DoctorKinbote [InnercityGriot]
KingleyZissou [jtr]
Sacrelicious_ [koshmar]
Lafwanda [Lafwanda]
kittypoptart [LawfulWaffle]
Halgreth [Mr E]
MrLonghair [MrLonghair]
TheOriginalZDog [MZ]
foxmedik [Nostalgia4Butts]
mrhorrifying [NotAnArtist]
EffEmmEll [OxMan]
Cbouncer [RatHat]
mera_mendacia [Real hurthling!]
RealSovietBear [RealSovietBear]
silkhorn [redreader]
DeathShiki [Sakurazuka]
Seiferguy [Seiferguy]
Nos3ySA [Stringbean]
Theradis [Tamayachi]
An1m3w33dL0rD [The Crooked Warden]
bl_4u [TheMostFrench]
acanthocybium [THE PENETRATOR]
thePope [Tokyo Sex Whale]
icyfuzz [turtlecrunch]
PolypPaul [Watrick]
yoyadota [Yoya]
SpacePrez [Zaphod42]

Pre-Release FAQ

Q: Is this more like DMC/Bayonetta than a Souls game?
A: No. Souls' tactical combat remains in full effect, and if you charge straight into enemies mashing buttons, you will die. Guns are accessory weapons that allow you to stun and stagger enemies, and melee weapons will still be your main source of damage. There are no signs yet that the player can use any form of magic in Bloodborne.

Q: Is this coming to PC?
A: No. Sony is co-developing, so Bloodborne is exclusive to the PS4 console.

Q: What is the target resolution and FPS?
A: 1080p/30fps.

Q: Will there be DLC?
A: Unknown. There will be no release-day DLC.

Q: What editions are there of the game?
A: In the US: standard and collector's (steelbook, artbook, digital soundtrack) only.
Outside the US: standard, collector's (steelbook, artbook, digital soundtrack), Nightmare (steelbook, artbook, digital soundtrack, "Top Hat" Messenger skin, book tin, bell trinket, quill&red ink set, gothic notebook), PS4 bundle edition (black PS4 unless in Japan).

Q: What are the preorder bonuses?
A: Preorder bonuses seem to be exclusive to particular vendors and what bonus is available also varies by region. All bonuses are Messenger skins- a Messenger is a little agent you use in the game for asynchronous multiplayer functions, such as leaving messages and marking where you die.

You can get the following Messenger skins for preordering:
Q: Is there a strategy guide?
A: Yes. Available only through Amazon, from Future Press. ENB and A German Spy are both contributors.

Q: How long is the game?
A: The "total game volume" is greater than Demon's Souls. Demon's Souls runs 25-40 hours depending on your skill and goals. In addition to the main game, Bloodborne includes an area of randomized challenges called the Chalice Dungeon. Inspired by rogue-likes, Chalice Dungeon configurations can be saved and shared with friends.

Q: What kind of environment variety exists? Is there a day/night cycle?
A: To quote an October 2014 interview with producer Masaaki Yamagiwa:

quote:

The question of whether the player would encounter more environments or settings in the released version of Bloodborne was also brought up. Mr. Yamagiwa mentioned that there would be more environments in the game such as forests and graveyards; and that the city portion that’s been seen in the demos is just the center of the very big city of Yharnam.

Another interviewer asked if a day and night cycle would be implemented in Bloodborne, as fans noticed that in some parts of the game’s recent trailer, the sky was brightly-lit. The producer stated that there is indeed a variation of time in the game but adds that “it’s not like it happens in real-time when you play, the sun goes down or something like that. It doesn’t happen. But yes, when you play through the story, there are variations of the weather and the time.”

Bloodborne has a contiguous world like Dark Souls, with warp points that you can unlock throughout. You access warp points you have unlocked through a hub, the Dream Refuge.

Q: What kind of multiplayer does the game have?
A: Bloodborne has co-op, PVP, and asynchronous functions (messages, bloodstains, player shadows). Co-op is no longer conducted through summon signs: a player who wishes to be summoned uses an item that grants them a passive "summonable" effect, a player who needs help uses a different item that makes their world permeable, and the game matches them by level. Friends will be able to use an 8-character "Watchword" to co-op with each other.

Bloodborne's PVP mechanics are known as follows: if you wish to invade, you ring an Ominous Resonant Bell. The invader can send themselves home with Parting Shot. In some areas, a character called the Bell Maiden is present, and she lures invaders to your world. She may also appear when you attempt to summon co-op helpers or when you try to invade.

Note that all multiplayer functions require subscription to PS+ (around $4/month) except for downloading of Chalice Dungeon configurations.

Q: Is there character customization? Can I play a woman?
A: Yes. Bloodborne has the same full character customization as prior Souls games, allowing you to choose build, hairstyle, eye color, gender, etc. It also has a few new features such as glasses/goggle accessories, body part dimensions, and hair physics.

Q: Does armor come in full sets or pieces?
A: As in the previous Souls games, armor comes as individual pieces (head/body/arms/legs) that you can FashionSouls with to your heart's desire. There is no heavy armor in the game, most sets are composed of leather and cloth. It is unknown how poise/other defensive benefits of armor may work in the game. Armor sets have physics effects and become soaked in blood as you fight. Armor is found either in the game world or via a merchant. Enemies do not drop anything besides items and upgrade materials in Bloodborne.

Q: What kind of classes and stats are there?
A: Bloodborne uses levels the same as the previous Souls entries. Classes are now called "origins", and only three have had their stats revealed. You can read more about origins and their stat allocations here.

Bloodborne's stats are:
  • Vitality
  • Endurance
  • Strength
  • Skill
  • Bloodtinge
  • Arcane
On the stats screen you will also see Level, Blood Echoes (the game's currency), and Insight (unknown, possibly Humanity-like function?).

Q: What kinds of weapons are there?
A: In Bloodborne you typically have a gun in your left hand and a melee weapon in your right hand. Your melee weapon (called a "trick weapon") transforms, giving it different possible attack styles. All trickweapons are customizable using "bloodgems", which allow you to apply effects to a weapon such as giving it poison attack, more physical attack, or increasing its scaling.

Some of the demonstrated trick weapons:
  • Kirkhammer/Longsword
  • Cleaver/Sawblade
  • Whip/Cane
  • Single/Double Curvedswords
  • Rapier/Gunblade (Reiterpallasch)
  • Axe/Spin2Win
  • Scythe/Sword
  • Greatsword/
  • FISTO/
  • Poofy ninja stake/
Some of the guns shown:
  • Blunderbuss
  • Pistol
  • Rifle
  • Flamethrower
  • Cannon
There are also consumable weapons such as firebombs and pebbles.

Q: Are there shields?
A: Yes, but it's implied they will be pretty awful. Rolling/sidestepping is Bloodborne's preferred defensive style.

Q: Are backstabs/parries still in?
A: Yes. Parries are now called "countershots" and conducted by shooting your gun at an enemy right before its attack connects. You can then riposte.

Backstabs are now called "backstrikes" and are divided into two phases. The first step is to unleash a charged attack at your enemy's back. Charged attacks require you to hold down an attack button until your weapon gleams. The charged attack will cause the enemy to stagger, and after a certain window of time, using a regular attack on the staggered enemy will initiate a critical strike for high damage.

The transforming strike of your melee weapon can also knock enemies back.

Q: Is this a sequel to Demon's Souls?
A: Umbasa.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I wonder how/if they're going to work in the classic Souls mechanic of trial and error death gameplay. They seem to be going for something more...fleshy and visceral and avoiding traditional sword and sorcery imagery. We have fog gates, so having an analogue to bonfires wouldn't surprise me. Is the plague going to keep us alive? Is time convoluted in the ancient city of Yharnam?

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 10, 2014

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
The more I've been thinking about the trailer, the stranger it seems to show the protagonist chopping that dead dog up. I wonder if there are more to drops than souls / glowing items once in a while this time.

In that image the weapons look a bit goopy and organic - I wonder if there's going to be Monster Hunter style mats and crafting?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
This almost looks like a survival horror game. It may not really be a "souls" like game in anything beyond a few aesthetic touches. For one, it seems you sort of have a set "look" and a set load-out too.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Dogs confirmed for first reoccurring character.

Lotish posted:

I wonder how/if they're going to work in the classic Souls mechanic of trial and error death gameplay. They seem to be going for something more...fleshy and visceral and avoiding traditional sword and sorcery imagery. We have fog gates, so having an analogue to bonfires wouldn't surprise me.

:speculate:

The imagery in the video combined with the title makes me think this is going to have a lot to do with artificially created humans, among other things. The main character could be some sort of homonculus that is incapable of truly dieing and is basically just an undead from the Dark Souls games.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
We need a souls game that involves werewolves.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
That concept art is seriously cool

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The Taint Reaper posted:

We need a souls game that involves werewolves.

My body is ready.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Instantly sold even before today. I will probably just not watch any more footage of this until it releases I'm loving excited.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
The Hype Train is real.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Suddenly buying a PS4 was an amazing decision that I will never regret. I am so ready to wait like a year for this game.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
"Strategic Action Combat" hah, I guess that's as good a term for "Souls Combat" as any. It's interesting to me how the gameplay of early PSX action RPGs, which was slow just by necessity, was actually turned into something really meaningful.

I'm wondering how much we should read into the apparent Souls connections. From Software kinda does do a lot of that; even the Armored Core games have Kings Field weapons in them and poo poo. Dark Souls 2 particularly was crazy full of things from old From Soft series.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

This almost looks like a survival horror game. It may not really be a "souls" like game in anything beyond a few aesthetic touches. For one, it seems you sort of have a set "look" and a set load-out too.

It's certainly too early to say for sure but that weird flip-saw/scythe thing certainly seems to be a core part of the gameplay. Maybe you have to finish enemies to kill them? Cut out their spines and then use their spinal fluid for upgrades or something.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I was thinking vampire.

They clearly define it as an RPG, so I wouldn't expect too much horror out of it. Unless they manage to be the first to succeed.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/06/09/bloodborne-fromsoftwares-ps4-debut/

Looks like we're going to be seeing gameplay later as the show goes on.

I'm super hyped about this game. It's exactly what Miyazaki needed to do, boy am I ever glad that him and the key Dark Souls/Demon's Souls staff didn't get to work on DS2. What a blessing in disguise that was. Now he gets to make something that has no ties at all to any of the previous Souls games...and can go hog wild. We've seen fog gates so we know that it's not a complete departure.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I had a feeling from the earlier trailer it would be set in Fantasy London and you would be Fantasy Jack the Ripper, it seems to be I was right on the mark.

Token Cracker
Dec 22, 2004
Even though we don't know jack poo poo about how this game plays yet the aesthetic design looks excellent all around. I'm mega excited to see some gameplay.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

I do have to say that I'm actually happy it's not explicitly a Souls game. I absolutely love those games, but I'm excited to see From do something that's not tied at the waist to the Souls name.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Roflan posted:

I was thinking vampire.

They clearly define it as an RPG, so I wouldn't expect too much horror out of it. Unless they manage to be the first to succeed.

I hope we're something more interesting like a Frankenstein abomination or a homunculus as Internet Kraken suggested.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'm kinda hoping that the dude took the dog corpse to augment special dog powers to his body. I'd love a souls type game where you could switch out your own parts and have an array of abilities to get past a barrier.

Like you turn into a wererhino and charge past a bunch of dudes giving no fucks but you have to remember to at least give one gently caress or the giant spider that's hiding in the cavern is gonna pop up at the end and eat you.

also weretyrannosaurusrex is DLC

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Beard Yawn posted:

I do have to say that I'm actually happy it's not explicitly a Souls game. I absolutely love those games, but I'm excited to see From do something that's not tied at the waist to the Souls name.

I definitely agree. They have so much experience making 3D action-rpgs, these guys definitely have the talent to make a lot of different kinds of games. It'd be really sad to seem them pidgeonholed into just making one thing over and over. Part of what made Demon and Dark Souls great was that they did things that were so wild and new and crazy. I feel like a game that's very different is a more faithful successor in many ways.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Because we really need a thread before the game even has a specific release date.

e: Or anything at all about the game aside from the overall look it's going for.

XboxPants posted:

I definitely agree. They have so much experience making 3D action-rpgs, these guys definitely have the talent to make a lot of different kinds of games. It'd be really sad to seem them pidgeonholed into just making one thing over and over. Part of what made Demon and Dark Souls great was that they did things that were so wild and new and crazy. I feel like a game that's very different is a more faithful successor in many ways.

We need more King's field.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 10, 2014

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Look they already confirmed that enemies will be wearing top hats in game, has there ever been a souls game that has denied you the option of wearing NPC clothing? No.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Genocyber posted:

Because we really need a thread before the game even has a specific release date.

e: Or anything at all about the game aside from the overall look it's going for.

I don't think you get it.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'm kinda hoping that the dude took the dog corpse to augment special dog powers to his body. I'd love a souls type game where you could switch out your own parts and have an array of abilities to get past a barrier.

Like you turn into a wererhino and charge past a bunch of dudes giving no fucks but you have to remember to at least give one gently caress or the giant spider that's hiding in the cavern is gonna pop up at the end and eat you.

also weretyrannosaurusrex is DLC

Re: the dog carving - my current feeling is that blood is the avatar of souls in this game, or to put it another way zenny is just another word for a dollar.

But the name "Project Beast" also suggests that there might be some kind of inheritance from various beasts...

Sony's description also claims there is an illness running amuck, and it's possible likely that the illness is what is turning both people and dogs into zomboids, but the protag gets an opposite reaction (becomes incredibly handsome and cool).

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Spellcasting is replaced with Gunmancy and Bloodmancy.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Genocyber posted:

Eh, you can preorder it already and we're going to be seeing more of the game in the next few days. I can live with it.

Almost didn't recognize you without your old avatar.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Second.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Genocyber posted:

They're going to show more later in the week.

As far as Souls conventions go, sure they have fog gates but I'm not even sure they need an equivalent to bonfires. Covenants, Invasions, Stats, Equipment, all of this stuff could not exist or be extremely different.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

turtlecrunch posted:

but the protag gets an opposite reaction (becomes incredibly handsome and cool).

I'll believe it when I see that From can make a character creator that doesn't make everyone look uggo.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Genocyber posted:

We got it man that's the Old King!

Just counting the days until every thread in the forums is about a From game.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mischitary posted:

They're going to show more later in the week.

I did not know that.

Still silly since the quality of the thread will be pretty terrible if the dks2 thread prior to release is any indication

Token Cracker
Dec 22, 2004
Thread hasn't even been up for an hour and you're making GBS threads in it.

Zenzizenzizenzic
May 25, 2012

Fun Shoe

Genocyber posted:

Still silly since the quality of the thread will be pretty terrible

Well yeah, you're here.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Hey I'd like a dark souls game that has monster hunter style bosses lurking around instead of every section of the world trying to kill you so you could explore without worry.

Maybe this will be that game.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Genocyber posted:

Absolutely.

There is no good reason why Kings Field games, whatever Bloodborne is and Souls games can't all get made.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

The Taint Reaper posted:

Hey I'd like a dark souls game that has monster hunter style bosses lurking around instead of every section of the world trying to kill you so you could explore without worry.

From what I've seen of the Monster Hunter franchise, that style of game sure could benefit from not having the worst level design ever to be featured in a interactive video experience.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Token Cracker posted:

Thread hasn't even been up for an hour and you're making GBS threads in it.

It's my job

The Taint Reaper posted:

From what (very little) we know it looks like it might favor cramped spaces more, a la King's Field or Shadow Tower. Which is exciting.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

XboxPants posted:

From what I've seen of the Monster Hunter franchise, that style of game sure could benefit from not having the worst level design ever to be featured in a interactive video experience.

My only issue with Monster Hutner's level design is that there's loading between areas when it's perfectly possible to have the world be entirely open.

None of the recent games have had narrow places with awful camera angles like the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Lookin forward to an uglier version of the equipment that guy has appearing in the game

• Locked thread