Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Relin posted:

Lookin forward to an uglier version of the equipment that guy has appearing in the game

It's going to be on the PS4.

Everything will be O K .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

The Taint Reaper posted:

My only issue with Monster Hutner's level design is that there's loading between areas when it's perfectly possible to have the world be entirely open.

None of the recent games have had narrow places with awful camera angles like the original.

Are they still largely made up of small, flat, vaguely round arenas connected to other small, flat, vaguely round arenas with several spokes around the edges?

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Genocyber posted:

From what (very little) we know it looks like it might favor cramped spaces more, a la King's Field or Shadow Tower. Which is exciting.

The scenes of the dark rooms and the staircases leading to the monster at the end really made me wish for a totally winding and convoluted world, where you could duck down a tiny little hallway and end up finding a whole branch of gameplay.

Nothing to base that on other than "I'd love it" and "If anyone can do that From can"

The way he's reaching for the skull at the very end kinda reinforces, for me, the thought that he's grabbing monster parts for some reason.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

XboxPants posted:

Are they still largely made up of small, flat, vaguely round arenas connected to other small, flat, vaguely round arenas with several spokes around the edges?

Nah there's wide spaces and small spaces of all different types. Monster Hunter 4 has a bunch of varied environments since you can now jump onto the monsters.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

You know what? I hope they don't have shields. I mean they might--a baddie in that video had a really ugly looking one--but I hope they just drop them entirely. I think leaving the trappings of the medieval period for something closer to the late 1700s just isn't suited to turtling behind a shield. Dark Souls 2 was perhaps the most fun without a shield, anyway.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lotish posted:

You know what? I hope they don't have shields. I mean they might--a baddie in that video had a really ugly looking one--but I hope they just drop them entirely. I think leaving the trappings of the medieval period for something closer to the late 1700s just isn't suited to turtling behind a shield. Dark Souls 2 was perhaps the most fun without a shield, anyway.

A more complicated dodging system would be nice.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Genocyber posted:

A more complicated dodging system would be nice.

Out of curiosity, how would you make it more complicated?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

HaitianDivorce posted:

Out of curiosity, how would you make it more complicated?

I dunno, add more than just a roll, like a sidestep to get around to their back if you time it right, maybe make it so enemies would stumble a bit or fall down if you had frame perfect dodge timing or something.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Kotaku guy (I'm sorry) says he will be seeing Bloodborne this week, just in case you need more word that gameplay is possibly hopefully coming.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/476217796943024128

e: Also coming out in Spring 2015 according to the official Japanese twitter - https://twitter.com/Bloodborne_PS4/status/476210736599818240

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 10, 2014

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Genocyber posted:

I dunno, add more than just a roll, like a sidestep to get around to their back if you time it right, maybe make it so enemies would stumble a bit or fall down if you had frame perfect dodge timing or something.

So sort of like a parry equivalent for dodging? Maybe it's just because I'm an Arkham fanatic but I'd love the option for more acrobatic dodges with investment in certain stats. I'd love to be able to bust out goofy cartwheels over charging enemies, stuff like that.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Release date: March 31st, 2015
per Sony Store

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

turtlecrunch posted:

Release date: March 31st, 2015
per Sony Store

Wow spring is sooner than I expected!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not too worried about it, but the only thing I'm dying to know is that it will have the same level of (or more!) exploration than Souls. I'm guessing it will. The reveal was so cinematic it almost feels like it could be more of an action game, but I really doubt it will stray too far from Souls considering the leaked gameplay.

Either way. it's my most anticipated game despite the tiny amount of info we currently have.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

BottledBodhisvata posted:

This almost looks like a survival horror game. It may not really be a "souls" like game in anything beyond a few aesthetic touches. For one, it seems you sort of have a set "look" and a set load-out too.

Every souls game has had a set "look" and load out for trailers etc.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Nice close-up of the stock character from the cinematic

Japanese blog reports the following (from Famitsu coverage):
  • Era is influenced by Victorian 19th century (in case that wasn't clear)
  • Development began immediately after AotA DLC for Dark Souls
  • Keywords "The Beast" and "blood", theme for battle: "mortal combat"
  • Miyazaki wants battle to be strategic as well as action-based...how this compares to DS strategic combat idk
  • 1080p/30fps
  • No map display
  • "All" character customization
  • Online experience involves discovery(?) with others, unknown number of players at once while online, otherwise single-player

There will be a Famitsu interview with Miyazaki published this month.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 10, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
When they say discovery they better mean "discovering" fun ways to brutally murder other players.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

That dog looks hosed up.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Can a game be considered survival horror if you're one of the biggest monsters in the game? If its Victorian era animal human mutations, this better be the City of Doctor Moreau. Vivisected/injected creatures forced to become human as well as people becoming the beasts they always were.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

I came here to kick rear end and sanitize my hands....and I'm all out of hand sanitizer.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
You know when the first gameplay clips leaked I thought it was gonna be a Solomon Kane game.

Not quite, but close enough that I hope you can find a reasonable facsimile of his outfit!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

turtlecrunch posted:

[*] 1080p/30fps

Boooooooooo

Especially considering how nice Dark Souls 2 looks running at 60fps.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
A (very small) extra piece of art from Famitsu

There will be a 60-minute presser on the game at E3 today according to some guy on Neogaf.

Worldwide Panther
Jul 20, 2010

Go see the stars!

turtlecrunch posted:

A (very small) extra piece of art from Famitsu

There will be a 60-minute presser on the game at E3 today according to some guy on Neogaf.

So this really IS the next-gen Castlevania we've all been waiting for.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Boooooooooo

Especially considering how nice Dark Souls 2 looks running at 60fps.

Yeah but DS2 didn't even have ragdoll physics! If that's the kind of infernal bargain we have to strike to reach 60 FPS I'll hear no more of it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Worldwide Panther posted:

So this really IS the next-gen Castlevania we've all been waiting for.

The Souls games have always been the best 3D Castlevanias so yeah pretty much. Can't wait.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Welp, I guess I know when I'm buying a PS4. Although it's not Dark Souls, it's FROM and I like their games so count me in.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I can think of only two or three games that would single-handedly make me buy a console and this is now one of then. There is no :getin: big enough.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Innistrad: The Video Game by FROM isn't everything I wanted in life, but it's a good sized chunk of it and I'm glad my blood sacrifices to forgotten nameless gods have not been in vain.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

But Not Tonight posted:

Welp, I guess I know when I'm buying a PS4. Although it's not Dark Souls, it's FROM and I like their games so count me in.

Let's be honest. We've got three souls games, and 4 sets of dlc. Let's take a break and try out modernized Shadow tower instead of modernized Kings field.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

All you people that are thinking about monster hunter could be really right. Considering From loves reinventing the wheel and taking stuff from old games...if any of you played soul sacrifice on vita, you've been describing it. You use monster bits for melee weapons and spells you bring forth by sacrificing chunks of your own body to replace them with. Dark souls sacrifice would be epic.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

According to a goon in IRC, according to someone on Reddit this is gonna be based around actual co-op apparently. It'd be neat if that's true, I want something non-Souls from From, tho I'd hope the game would still be good as a singleplayer experience.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
The reddit thing is almost certainly fake. I can't seem to find the original source for it. Here.

quote:

I was at a Sony conference a while back where they showed this game, been dying to talk about it! It really is a spiritual successor, with bonfires and fog doors making a comeback. HUD looks exactly like souls.
Main difference is this game is built around co-op, four players. Also this means real co-op, not summoning each other and being unable to play with friends consistently! Can't wait until the full reveal!
EDIT: Ok so they didn't show much at the time. Just a short gameplay trailer, cuts of character exploring the world, fighting some enemies. Movement looked very similar to dark souls, but the character seemed to be dashing instead of rolling. Era seemed vampire hunter ish (trenchcoats and shotguns). Sounds in the trailer sounded identical to dark souls (slashing sounds and other sfx) but I'm thinking they were probably place holders. Bonfires are back, different look but seem to serve the same purpose. Fog doors as we know are back.
Aside from the trailer the rest was screenshots showing the multiplayer elements. You could see multiple characters on screen with gamertags hovering above the characters. Definitely seems like multiplayer is a running in the traditional sense. No ghostly aura on any of the characters and the speaker did specifically talk about playing with friends.
Might be targeting a slightly more casual audience, got the impression the fighting was more forgiving but again it's hard to tell from a short gameplay trailer. Hopefully they will show more today.

It also doesn't really match gothic survival/fight for your life themes, imo. But not enough is really known about the gameplay yet.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 10, 2014

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

turtlecrunch posted:

The reddit thing is almost certainly fake. I can't seem to find the original source for it. Here.

It also doesn't really match gothic survival/fight for your life themes, imo. But not enough is really known about the gameplay yet.

Why do you say that there is a fight for your life theme when the dude in the trailer seems full on badass and he's loving everyone up?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Based on the translation of highlights of Famitsu coverage and the cramped space implied by it being set in a city. It's just a feeling, not a fact.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Ineffiable posted:

Let's be honest. We've got three souls games, and 4 sets of dlc. Let's take a break and try out modernized Shadow tower instead of modernized Kings field.

Oh absolutely, I wasn't trying to say that we need more Dark Souls, more that I'm a fan of FROM and their games/mechanics and I look forward to a fresh new setting I can die a lot in.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

NESguerilla posted:

Why do you say that there is a fight for your life theme when the dude in the trailer seems full on badass and he's loving everyone up?

According to some quotes on NeoGAf from a blog that transcribed some snippets of a preview (yeaaaaah...) that's one of the "themes" of the game's combat.

ZergRushing
Oct 1, 2004
Sweet maybe the reason DS2 sucked so much is because they spent all their time and money on this instead.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

ZergRushing posted:

Sweet maybe the reason DS2 sucked so much is because they spent all their time and money on this instead.

I won't discuss the quality of ds2 (versus ds1 is debatable but it is still a Very Good game) but you do know that pretty much none of the original dark souls team worked on dark souls 2.

Cause they were working on BLOODBOURNE instead. Since the artorias of the abyss dlc.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Producer is a tease

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is this going to be something we can stream or are we just going to get some press blurbs about it? I wanna see gameplay!

E:

turtlecrunch posted:

Based on the translation of highlights of Famitsu coverage and the cramped space implied by it being set in a city. It's just a feeling, not a fact.

Ah. I see what your saying.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 10, 2014

• Locked thread