Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

I want a new King's Field.

Theres three they are called demons souls, dark souls and dark souls 2 :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
Nah I love em but they aint really the same. I mean for 1 none are first person.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

EC posted:

Already confirmed in the game.

Guess I better buy the game then.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Looks like I gotta set aside five hundred bucks.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

Nah I love em but they aint really the same. I mean for 1 none are first person.

Dark Souls 2 is a direct sequel to King's Field 4 as far as I'm concerned.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Vanderdeath posted:

Dark Souls 2 is a direct sequel to King's Field 4 as far as I'm concerned.

As in, the KF:TAC protagonist is Vendrick?

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I'm glad they'll have more combat NPCs. One of my favorite parts of the Souls games is how the NPCs add to the flavor of the world. Fighting along Ostrava, iron knight Tarkus or Jester Thomas, to say nothing of Patches, are all some of the most memorable points in the game, probably because you're no longer alone. At times though, not sure if that's a good thing, like with Mephistopheles or Navlaan. It's a really fun dynamic!

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

The Taint Reaper posted:

I wonder if this is going to have horrifying and morbid human or beast transformations.

I want videogame enemies that make me feel uneasy just because they look actually scary and gross.

Spider people in Dark Souls 1 were not that gross, even with the parasitic babies.

I dunno, the spidermen in Tseldora give me the heebiejeebies. The way they move agggg

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

OxMan posted:

I'm glad they'll have more combat NPCs. One of my favorite parts of the Souls games is how the NPCs add to the flavor of the world. Fighting along Ostrava, iron knight Tarkus or Jester Thomas, to say nothing of Patches, are all some of the most memorable points in the game, probably because you're no longer alone. At times though, not sure if that's a good thing, like with Mephistopheles or Navlaan. It's a really fun dynamic!
I want more things like Ostrava, who roamed in the world in body form, which was neat.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
From the Eurogamer E3 coverage:

Miyazaki - "One of the core concepts that I've had even with Dark Souls and Demon's Souls is my mission and my goal is to make a very beautiful game. I know a lot of people have a hard time believing it when I say those words, because that's not the first thing that comes to mind. I always believe that there is beauty in darkness. And so with Bloodborne, I feel like the darkness is darker, which means the beauty is going to rise - and you'll be able to really see that beauty out of the darkness."

quote:

The diseased villagers that patrol the city have broader behaviour patterns - a mob of them may converge in a town square, working together in a hunt, before the familiar ring of a town bell will send them back out again on their own individual paths. It makes for a more organic, more emergent place to explore - enemies no longer simply spawn, it seems, but rather patrol the city according to their own internal logic.

quote:

As to how exactly the process of fighting alongside other players will work, Miyazaki's coy. "The key concept, or phrase, that we have right now is it's an open explorative community," is all he'll give away.

There's also a Dengeki article up, but google translate does not suggest anything particularly new out of it except another of "three themes" Miyazaki is applying to the game. There is mortal combat, and this new one "search of the unknown" which I feel is probably a bad translation. The world is mysterious - surprise!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So it's going to be like diablo 3 but instead of mindless hordes, it's going to be packs of enemies who will kill you in horrible and unpredictable ways.

I really hope they upped the death animations in this game I want limbs flying off and torsos cut in half.

Token Cracker
Dec 22, 2004
So are we going to get to see this gameplay footage before the end of E3 or is it strictly for press?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Token Cracker posted:

So are we going to get to see this gameplay footage before the end of E3 or is it strictly for press?

I'm guessing its press only, especially since it doesn't seem to be an optimized build they're showing.

Maybe we'll get some off screen footage from a shady European journalist.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

EC posted:

I'm guessing its press only, especially since it doesn't seem to be an optimized build they're showing.

Maybe we'll get some off screen footage from a shady European journalist.

Fingers crossed that some Russian manages to steal some footage. If a Russian uploads it to a Russian site, it's never coming down.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

So instead of aggro ranges and tethers, enemies reset to their default positions every X minutes as defined by the town bell? I'm okay with this. Kinda sounds a little like Predator-mode Arkham games, where you pick off enemies real quick when the opportunity presents itself but if you trip up or get complacent they'll rally and bludgeon you with their numbers.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
Aside from the indignity of knowing I'll almost certainly have to buy a console for a single goddamn game, I have to say that I'm legit more excited for this game than I was for Dark Souls 2 in the immediately post-reveal period.

As much as I love the gothic medieval thing of DeS and DS1/2, I'm ready for a bit of a change. Gothic Victorian? loving works for me. They'd better not gay it up with a bunch of silly steampunk stuff though. :mad:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I wonder why the one guy who leaked some gameplay footage to NeoGAF didn't leak more. That nerd probably has more of the stuff, and he's holding it back.

Also, disappointed to hear they went with 30 FPS and 1080p. I'd rather have 60 and 720p instead because that gives room for the framerate to dip a little without making the game look like garbage. From has history with framerate drops and it irks me that they decided to go for 1080p for no reason.

e: Hell, I've noticed that people are saying the game had framerate issues during E3. While it's still in alpha and they have time to fix it, I'd say the 30FPS decision was a bad move.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 11, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

60 FPS is always better than 30 but like you said it is not finished. Whatever technical issues it has now are not indicative of anything. There was literally zero chance of it ever going below 1080 and I don't see what the big deal is.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

I wonder why the one guy who leaked some gameplay footage to NeoGAF didn't leak more. That nerd probably has more of the stuff, and he's holding it back.

Also, disappointed to hear they went with 30 FPS and 1080p. I'd rather have 60 and 720p instead because that gives room for the framerate to dip a little without making the game look like garbage. From has history with framerate drops and it irks me that they decided to go for 1080p for no reason.

Not necessarily. For w/e reason it depends on the game I've found; i.e. Skyrim looks like garbage at anything less than 60 fps, but Borderlands 2 looks fine to me at 40-ish.

Not to mention Demon's Souls had a rock solid framerate pretty much everywhere.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

We don't know, but keep in mind that it was clearly outdated footage from an old trailer that was planned for a reveal that ultimately never happened. Also, the original leak was from 4chan, so chances are the guy simply liked making nerds feel mad with anticipation knowing they wouldn't see footage for a long time.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

turtlecrunch posted:

Gameplay impression:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJtzLXg9AB0
  • Densely layered city
  • Tight alleyways, wide streets, etc. with monsters
  • Enemies are humans or former humans transformed into beasts by the disease
  • Lots of blood, blood accumulates on clothes
  • Main character was dual wielding the stock weapons (gun and cleaver)
  • Guns are close-range weapons, can stun enemies
  • Many weapons in the game transformable, such as the "saw cleaver" on the stock character, one weapon he saw transformed from a mode good for shield breaking with arms-length reach, to washing pole slicer mode (my words)
  • Very fast and aggressive playstyle
  • Enemies come out of corners, shadows, will overwhelm you if you try to sit and wait
  • Enormous crow enemies
  • Miyazaki expects greater sense of relief/victory after battles, targeting same difficulty level as Demon's/Dark

This guy just made my day. Praise the gun.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
This is sounding significantly different from Dark Souls while also retaining a lot of the same values. I'm tentatively excited!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man, I do feel a bit jipped PS4 gets this whereas Dark Souls 2 - as fantastic as it was - didn't bring nearly anything like it to the table. :saddowns:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Couple more things:

• There is no hub. The world is interconnected ala Dark Souls. (from Neogaf/French article)
  • There will be another demo at Gamescom in August. (from Twitter/Italian article)
For every article that gives maybe one new line of information there are another 20 that are copypasting each other. :psyduck:

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
They've gotta just be copy pasting a press blurb, right? A lot of them are the same down to the sentence structure.

I'm super glad that there's DS2 DLC coming in the mean time to hold us over because without it, the wait until March would be unbearable.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

turtlecrunch posted:

Gameplay impression:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJtzLXg9AB0
  • Densely layered city
  • Tight alleyways, wide streets, etc. with monsters
  • Enemies are humans or former humans transformed into beasts by the disease
  • Lots of blood, blood accumulates on clothes
  • Main character was dual wielding the stock weapons (gun and cleaver)
  • Guns are close-range weapons, can stun enemies
  • Many weapons in the game transformable, such as the "saw cleaver" on the stock character, one weapon he saw transformed from a mode good for shield breaking with arms-length reach, to washing pole slicer mode (my words)
  • Very fast and aggressive playstyle
  • Enemies come out of corners, shadows, will overwhelm you if you try to sit and wait
  • Enormous crow enemies
  • Miyazaki expects greater sense of relief/victory after battles, targeting same difficulty level as Demon's/Dark

This sounds exactly like Dark Arms on the Neo Geo Pocket Color so I am so buying this even more than I was when it was just a From Software game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjOj_utmbKE

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
O-open world Victorian horror setting with a more agile Souls-esque combat with a fully customizable character who is also some kind of vampire thing? With the whole vampire thing actually being a major gameplay element and not just a different flavor of super powers?

Why has no-one ever done this before? It's the perfect game!

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
From the GameTrailers impression: There was not a fog door upon entering the boss fight, but there was one after the fight began. Something (possibly souls? same sound effect) came out killed enemies and was absorbed by the character.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

From Twitter '@yosp: Miyazaki-san "If you remember the Tower of Latria level in Demon's Souls, that's the kind of atmosphere we want to create with Bloodborne."'

HNNNGGGGG

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm disappointed in both the setting and the move to faster-paced action. I really liked the plodding, methodical slowness of the Souls games because it added a very specific kind of tension that I have a feeling is going to be missing here, and victorian settings are always boring :(

Who am I kidding though, I'm still going to buy a PS4 for this game.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Dang, I thought I'd get further into this new generation without having to buy a console and TV.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Sprat Sandwich posted:

From Twitter '@yosp: Miyazaki-san "If you remember the Tower of Latria level in Demon's Souls, that's the kind of atmosphere we want to create with Bloodborne."'

HNNNGGGGG

fffffffffffff that's the best news. That atmosphere was so good. Then running through it over and over farming mind flayers for spices was ok too I guess.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

SunAndSpring posted:

e: Hell, I've noticed that people are saying the game had framerate issues during E3. While it's still in alpha and they have time to fix it, I'd say the 30FPS decision was a bad move.

I dunno if they have history, dark souls 1 had issues, but both demon souls and ds2 are pretty rock solid on this front. Framerate issues in an alpha is quite normal (demon souls had serious framerate issues when shown to sony when they weren't impressed with it).

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
To make a rough analogy it sounds like Bloodborne is shaping up to be the DMC to D. Soul's Ninja Gaiden and I am totally on board with that.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Some new hands on articles, nothing really new but interesting none the less:

http://www.polygon.com/a/e3-2014/bloodborne

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-11-bloodborne-preview

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/06/09/playstation-at-e3-2014-watch-it-live/

The game has a segment on Sony's stream at 3:15 PDT today. Also check the e3 topic for some other streams that I think have it on.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
30fps was fine in Demons, Dark, Dark1, except for when the framerates dropped. With how the PC versions fare when running at 60 it's clear it's an engine and scripting decision. So much easier to get a steady 30 game done, so much less testing than limiting it at 60. It's an animation priority game and not a high speed PlatinumGames third person slasher, it's not going to impede the gameplay or feel (DS1 console wasn't exactly pretty but it handled 30fps very well visually). I wish 60 would have been no problem at all but 30 and not dipping much is acceptable.

(The current junky framerate also speaks for 30 being a good target. The demo is framey, but HUD-less, so the "screenshots" are actually real, you can tell when you know what to look for)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 11, 2014

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

turtlecrunch posted:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/06/09/playstation-at-e3-2014-watch-it-live/

The game has a segment on Sony's stream at 3:15 PDT today. Also check the e3 topic for some other streams that I think have it on.

This'll likely be an interview with a producer in front of a tv replaying the cg trailer.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I wasn't going to say anything so that people might hold on to the dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
This guy is capital-H hyped.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/96i0v0/bloodborne-e3-2014--eyes-on

• Locked thread