Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/06/09/bloodborne-fromsoftwares-ps4-debut/

Looks like we're going to be seeing gameplay later as the show goes on.

I'm super hyped about this game. It's exactly what Miyazaki needed to do, boy am I ever glad that him and the key Dark Souls/Demon's Souls staff didn't get to work on DS2. What a blessing in disguise that was. Now he gets to make something that has no ties at all to any of the previous Souls games...and can go hog wild. We've seen fog gates so we know that it's not a complete departure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Because we really need a thread before the game even has a specific release date.

e: Or anything at all about the game aside from the overall look it's going for.

They're going to show more later in the week.

As far as Souls conventions go, sure they have fog gates but I'm not even sure they need an equivalent to bonfires. Covenants, Invasions, Stats, Equipment, all of this stuff could not exist or be extremely different.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

turtlecrunch posted:

Release date: March 31st, 2015
per Sony Store

Wow spring is sooner than I expected!

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

Kills one villager enemy and goes up a ladder. You saw it here first people!

Also it's oddly zoomed in, like they're trying to hide the UI for some strange reason. I mean, the game is playable on the show floor, so obviously people are going know what it looks like.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Brackhar posted:

Definitely agree for DS1. Super, super fun without a shield.

DS2... I dunno. I found it generally pretty frustrating given that a lot of the enemies were frequently resistant to stagger and didn't leave much of an attack opening, especially later in the game. You can get around this if you have some ranged magic of some kind, but if you're going pure melee it's really quite frustrating commonly.

I feel like in DS2, there are really only two ways to play without a shield: getting really good at dodging and using the dual-wield stance with two fast weapons, or get a big rear end sword or slab of something-or-other so that you can just smash guys into the earth. My second DS2 character used two huge clubs in the dual-wield stance and it wasn't so bad because almost nothing could survive more than two hits and the first hit almost always smashes them into the ground.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Except I'm not doing giantdad, again, you can't really read. The focus of that build is specifically to keep the opponent stuck in one place to get the others to wail on it. It's different from drawing aggro by being evasive just by virtue of providing more openings for your teammates to attack and lower chances for the aggro to be drawn away while you're dodging. It's purely a support role, not giantdad "hit things with big stick". Anyone can just push butan do damage, that's the low skill alternative. It looks like BB has absolutely no place for support roles, and instead just has everybody do the same role of making GBS threads out damage, the most boring part.

Playing support is fun, managing aggro, healing, etc. Running up and hitting attack and then rolling is not. You're not doing anything to help out the host other than providing another damage dealer. It's no different than playing solo, you're focused on keeping yourself alive rather than helping the host. You say 'tons of weapon variety' but there's no role variety. You're either hitting things or rolling. And that seems like a downgrade.

I'm not sure you can say this with 100% certainty yet. From what was gleamed from this short video of the very beginning of the game, it seems like just about everything we've seen thus far has been early game stuff. Hell, we don't even know what the PVP is like in this game yet. There very well could be support roles, but they may act differently than what you are used to, or they may even be gone completely, and if that's the case then this is just a different type of game than Dark Souls was. But we won't know for certain yet because so much of the game has been kept under wraps. Hopefully some time this month IGN will release a video pertaining to the co-op features in this game that will give you more insight into the type of co-op experience the game is trying to provide, so it'll put you at ease.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

It could also just be the apple from Genesis representing the seed of knowledge, plus giving apples to teachers and all that poo poo.

But yeah, who knows.

loving IGN player picked up a mark and didn't even look at the item description, much less equip it. What a scrub.

I don't think that the person playing in the IGN vid was just a dude playing the game, it's very probable that they were playing through the beginning of the game expressly to get footage from the game for the feature they're running and they may have been given guidelines by FROM on what they could, or couldn't, show right now.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Mimingless posted:

Bloodtinge being science-related makes some amount of sense - the guns in the 18 minutes video both have a bloodtinge requirement, where the melee weapons are just strength and skill. Though they don't scale with anything, bloodtinge included.

Also, the guns do blood damage, not physical - has to do with stunning maybe?

Yeah, I don't think it's as simple as "bloodtinge = faith and arcane = int".

I'm of the opinion that to the extent magic is in Bloodborne it's not gonna be the same high-fantasy stuff we saw in the Souls games, like throwing around fireballs and lightning bolts, but will be more mysterious and occult-inspired, which goes along with changing the name to "arcane", which implies secret knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

I said come in! posted:

The thing I like most about Bloodborne is that From is finally easing up on its co-op restrictions and making it simple to play with friends. I never liked playing the previous games alone, and knowing I can always easily find people to co-op with is nice. I don't think this game would be for me otherwise, at least not a title I would want to pay $60 even though I feel like this is going to be the best PS4 game this year.

While they are making it easier to play with people you know, they're also making it so that every time you use the item to call on help you're also gonna get invaded unless you kill this one specific enemy that appears in a random location.

• Locked thread