Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
The more I've been thinking about the trailer, the stranger it seems to show the protagonist chopping that dead dog up. I wonder if there are more to drops than souls / glowing items once in a while this time.

In that image the weapons look a bit goopy and organic - I wonder if there's going to be Monster Hunter style mats and crafting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Genocyber posted:

Because we really need a thread before the game even has a specific release date.

e: Or anything at all about the game aside from the overall look it's going for.

We need more King's field.

We got it man that's the Old King!

Just counting the days until every thread in the forums is about a From game.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Genocyber posted:

From what (very little) we know it looks like it might favor cramped spaces more, a la King's Field or Shadow Tower. Which is exciting.

The scenes of the dark rooms and the staircases leading to the monster at the end really made me wish for a totally winding and convoluted world, where you could duck down a tiny little hallway and end up finding a whole branch of gameplay.

Nothing to base that on other than "I'd love it" and "If anyone can do that From can"

The way he's reaching for the skull at the very end kinda reinforces, for me, the thought that he's grabbing monster parts for some reason.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
If I'm reading things right, you need player blood to get OUT of hard mode.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
I hope it's called Blood Level this time around. But it will probably be... Beast Level.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
They've gotta just be copy pasting a press blurb, right? A lot of them are the same down to the sentence structure.

I'm super glad that there's DS2 DLC coming in the mean time to hold us over because without it, the wait until March would be unbearable.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Rag dolls confirmed in that video!

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
There is some special importance to skulls on altars, it seems. There's the one in that trailer and the monstrous one that he's reaching for at the end of the reveal trailer.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Because the new trailer is sick cg and the old one is year old footage that doesn't look as good as the 50 seconds we got to see at e3.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
If they had straight out said "he's removed himself from the project" we would all have been vastly more suspicious of ds2 before it came out.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Fuckin a, yeah why not keep endless bitching about soul memory to one of the two existing threads for it tia.

I thought "40 new posts overnight must be something good about Bloodborne" nope literally arguing about the amount of color in souls games.

Well guess what, if you like color in blue black bloodborne you're hosed!

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

How many games can you recall that went from 30 fps to 60 fps that late in development (they're targeting a release early next year) off the top of your head?

In reality, probably all games that target 60 have done this. The 30fps build we know about was specifically not for public consumption and was quite probably ancient by the time it was shown. You don't hit build on your code and run off to e3 with the latest stuff - you pick a date far in advance of when you're going to show it and lock the game there, so you can QA to make sure your game doesn't literally crash in front of press.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Real hurthling! posted:

Why can't from figure out something for the weapons to do when climbing a ladder other than disappear suddenly?

Because it has to work for everything from claw weapons to the inevitable demons great hammer. And because it's a game, they go to the same place the rest of your inventory goes.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Real hurthling! posted:

great so make them evaporate like souls or something instead of flash not existing.

In the old games they have a short animation where they scale down to nothing as you swap / take them out.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Dumb game design tips itt.

For real I was pretty over ds2 I think but bloodbornes got me psyched again. Very excited to hear it's coming in March... Too few games on ps4 is quickly becoming too many games.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

turtlecrunch posted:

Also ew drinking blood instead of a benign SunnyD-like substance.

It's worth noting that Estus has a similar ring to estrus

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
"Cleric beast" huh? This must have been what Patches was afraid of.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Looks awesome. Did I see a custom backstab / riposte there on the boss? Very cool.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
The us cover is a god damned tragedy.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
No, beta is "feature complete but buggy" and alpha is some random representative slice before that. Where I work, anyway.

I want in THIS alpha though! Have any us invites gone out so far?

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Yeah the CE is back, just ordered it moments ago.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
No respawn, hardcore only. You get to make a new character to try and reach your bloodstain.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Yeah yo. Me either. Was there a U.S. signup page that I missed?

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

turtlecrunch posted:

There wasn't any sign-up page for US, only EU afaik. As noted on the Destructoid article above, the US alpha people were pre-selected based on their trophies in DeS/DS1/DS2 + ownership of a PS4.

Also if you turned off media communications from PSN or never verified your e-mail you probably wouldn't get one.

All the more reason to be bummed that I missed out, I've got a PS4 and plats in all 3. I get other PSN emails just fine. RNG :colbert:

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Bonfire warp ruined ds2 for me. It made it so easy to navigate that I never made a connection to any zone in the game since I only ever had to make any journey once. As a result, looking back, the game feels lifeless compared to ds1 despite the areas themselves being strong design-wise.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I like my games to play super well so "feeling connected to the world" never felt like a thing a game had to do.

Basically lol "immersion"

Immersion is pretty different from connection. I never once felt like I was "in" dark souls but the whole game felt more "alive" when I had to move through an area several times in order to learn and understand it. Dark souls 2 felt empty, despite strong individual area designs, and part of the problem with that, for me, was "all warp all the time."

I hope it's gone.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Megalixir posted:

I realize there's deadlines for this kind of poo poo but there's nobody out there going "if it isn't out by this date, I will never buy it". If there are, they couldn't have been terribly interested to begin with.

:psyduck: Where do you think companies get the money to magically pay their employees for a few more months of work? Delays need budget.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Dropbear posted:

super-shady and makes me extra-wary

Those liars they're trash I would never ever have bought this gameplay-focused game if I knew the graphics were going to be worse than I thought

e: Who could ever care enough to be honestly angry that they made the decision "Oops we better make sure the game works it's time to launch."

superh fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 9, 2015

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Zombie Boat posted:

Make the swamp the main hub. Day one purchase.

Yes, this. Poison is the new DS1 pre patch curse. You get your blood poisoned and you start every game poisoned until you find the antidote (3/4 of the way through the game.)

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Max posted:

The english VA they got for him is really nice too because he just does not sound at all how I expected him to sound.

They got the same guy back for Straid in DS2.

What are the lore implications??

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Vintersorg posted:

I thank the goons for putting that game on my radar. Didnt that thread last up until like loving Dark Souls 2??

You talking about the Demon's thread? It's still here.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3106674

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Lost Izalith got heavily nerfed in one of the patches. Dragon butt placement and behavior was changed to be slightly more manageable.

They also rearranged the Capra demons in demon ruins at or around the same time. I think you could pull more at once?

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
We saw a Demon's reference already in the Bloodborne beta, right?

umbasa

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Nice. The guides are actually always nice, well printed books. And, they're usually the closest things to merch that from games get. I'll probably pick this up to toss on the shelf next to my copies of the dark souls guides.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The guide sounds cool and all but it will be outdated in a couple of weeks. It seems more like a collector's novelty than anything to me.

That's really all it is. Although the original Dark Souls guide has some of the only real info there is about Vagrants. And an interview with Miyazaki sounds like a good bonus, for this one!

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
I think when I first played it I probably spent two hours loving around in Boletaria. What do you mean I have to hold my shield up???? Uhhh no I'll hit these assholes before they can hit me tyvm. *turns the game off for a year*

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
No it's definitely more along the lines of something like DDR - newer games can amp up the difficulty to previously impossible levels because people have gotten so good at the old games (from what I understand, never having played them myself). We're all jaded souls experts at this point so there are no surprises left. That's part of what's so appealing about BB, it's mixing the formula up a bit.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Vermain posted:

DS1 didn't seem like it was getting a port post-release until after the massive petition. I'm willing to be patient. v:shobon:v

As everyone else has said, demons didn't seem like it was getting a port either. And it didn't. Because Sony paid for it to be produced - just like bloodborne. Namco Bandai is not involved at all this time, which is why they're trying to cash in and release their remaster of DS2, two weeks after BB comes out.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

turtlecrunch posted:

Just a close-up of the stats.
lol at "skill" being one of them.

Bloodtinge. Whatever it is, I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Maybe, but they're in with stats, which implies you level them?

• Locked thread