Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

But Not Tonight posted:

Welp, I guess I know when I'm buying a PS4. Although it's not Dark Souls, it's FROM and I like their games so count me in.

Let's be honest. We've got three souls games, and 4 sets of dlc. Let's take a break and try out modernized Shadow tower instead of modernized Kings field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

ZergRushing posted:

Sweet maybe the reason DS2 sucked so much is because they spent all their time and money on this instead.

I won't discuss the quality of ds2 (versus ds1 is debatable but it is still a Very Good game) but you do know that pretty much none of the original dark souls team worked on dark souls 2.

Cause they were working on BLOODBOURNE instead. Since the artorias of the abyss dlc.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Under the vegetable posted:

Also, I know this isn't really the most on-topic thing, but I can't wait until From revives Armored Core again. I was such a mark for AC in the PSX era and I'd love to see what From could do with it now that they're apparently the most on-point developers in the game.

...Wait, apparently I missed some next-gen Miyazaki-directed AC games...? Neat.

Play for answer, it's probably the best of the next gen ones. 4 is just the prototype for for answer, and v and verdict day rely too much on online play (which is mostly dead)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

It still has some players, but it's sometimes hard to connect to other them since the multiplayer works on total blood collected.

You're behind the times. Now it works based on the number of Great Body Parts collected. After 2 ng+ and 24 GBP everyone is in the same tier, regardless of your blood level.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

The dark souls 2 guys said currently there are no plans to port ds2 to the new gen. But they do have dlc to work on. I'd probably wait until all the dlc is finished and see if they have any comments on this.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Under the vegetable posted:

Well, it'd be neat. He is a chaos pyromancer, maybe he was in blighttown and got a thing on his head.

Someone post that picture where they overlapped the pyromancer's silhouette with that of the monster.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

laplace posted:

Actually, in the art book there are worms and other living tendrils popping out of the Xanthous Crown. The crown itself is parasitic and is Inspired by the Monk's Head Wrappings from Demon's Souls, which is in turn influenced by The King in Yellow.

So yeah, could be worms.

Yeah, found that image I was talking about.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Lotish posted:

This may be spin, but it does sound like he's quite a bro giving someone else on the team a chance to prove themselves.

Yeah that's actually a pretty good excuse. What would dark souls be like if he wasn't developing it. And now we know.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Stux posted:

I'd love it if he kept doing this, setting great IPs every few years and then handing them off so we get multiple good series coming from From rather than just DS or whatever.

That would be pretty good. The a team makes a new world and style and atmosphere. The b team gives their own take on it and allow us to get a game in the down years between the new ips.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Wait so we had an entire page talking about dark souls 2 and nobody mentioned one of the biggest steps back it took?

Soul memory.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Oae Ui posted:

Miyazaki mentioned that you'd visit other parts of the town at various times of day. I imagine they'll find a way to add some variety.

In the land of Yarnam, the flow of time is convoluted.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Infamous second son was variable fps but tended to be rock solid above 30 right? It felt so drat smooth, even as smooth as 60fps games.

Switching it to the 30fps cap felt weird.

As long as it never drops below 30, a lot of people won't care.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Well there is kind of a soft cap. It's based on exponential growth. I want to say that the exponential growth curve was less steep in ds2 than ds1.

Of course anyone could grind out a lot of levels, but to make meaningful progress at levels past 130, you have to start looking at ng+ stuff. So for the most part, 1-130 is a lot of ng and beyond that, the level ranges for ng+ get much smaller.

That'll be neat if they can just do an arena where everyone is set to the same sl, and you have to fiddle with your points. Sort of the idea of the arena from artorias but actually as a side thing/or make it use a different character slot.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Yeah seriously, it's nothing compared to the Japanese covers.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

That Bloodborne collector's edition is probably just the first print run too. If you preorder the standard edition off Amazon riight now, chances are Amazon will upgrade it to the collector's edition.

They've done this same thing for Dark Souls 1 and 2.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

EC posted:

I was comparing it to the CE edition of DS2, which was like $90 if I remember right. If it's just a nice edition only available for pre-orders, that's fine. Maybe I'm a bit bitter because the DS2 CE was so weak.

That said, I wonder what kind of stuff they'll offer with a digital pre-order. I have a feeling this is a game I'm gonna want on my HDD 24/7, and Sony has been fantastic with pre-loading lately.

I almost guarantee you this is the preorder edition.

Demons souls preorder got the deluxe edition with art book and soundtrack and different box.

Dark souls preorder got you an art book, tin case and soundtrack download.

Dark souls 2 preorder gets you a steel book, soundtrack (but artbook was in the 120 dollar edition.

From software is just very generous with the preorder copies.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I just pre-ordered it a minute ago. Try checking again.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

you can pre order the standard version on amazon no problem, i figured everyone was talking about the CE with the extra bullshit that isn't worth 20 more dollars.

But I just pre-ordered that edition. That's what I'm saying. Both are available for preorder right now.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I'm just expecting this to be a meaty artbook this time. Like the size of dark souls 2 or bigger the demons and dark souls 1 are basically leaflets.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

The only King's Field I remember is the "first" (think it was actually the second but it was that whole Final Fantasy type deal where we got the second one) and I remember all us youngbloods talking about it like people talk about the Souls games or did a couple years back. I don't remember anyone playing the others, but the first is lovely looking back on it but it'd be pretty cool if it was updated/made more playable since the atmosphere is pretty awesome.

To update it all, all you need to do is make the second stick for camera control. Then it's much more playable. I'd buy an HD update of the game on PSN.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I just realized what was bothering me about the collector's edition.

Japan is literally getting the exact same thing, but for a first printing. Meaning that all first editions are the 'collector's edition' in japan, for the same price the regular game would cost anyway.

Here, we're getting charged $20 for that.

Still buying it, but it is a little dissappointing that this is the kind of stuff we got for free with previous Souls games preorder and now we have to pay extra. Well I guess at least we don't have a $120 statue edition.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

Anyone know if Japan is getting a different collector's edition?

Unless they announce a new tier, the current one they have is basically like the one we have. Except the box may be made out of nicer material.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Taratang posted:

Aside from two routes to Lost Sinner, the game world lacked the inter-connectivity of the original and the bosses weren't as imaginative. There are a lot of people who thought Dark Souls 2, while good, was not quite *as* good as Dark Souls 1.

I am still hyped as gently caress for Bloodborne though.

Go play the 3 dlcs that was released. It owns major bones than most of the content in any souls games.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Please let me know when that nightmare edition is on Amazon.co.uk thanks.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

net cafe scandal posted:

All my life Ive wanted a Bell Trinket, and now is finally my chance.

The time to become a Bell Keeper is now.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

LotsBread posted:

Someone tell me if this will be PS3 exclusive forever or not. I want to have this game on the PC so bad.

It's not.

It's ps4 exclusive!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

EC posted:

Did people get bored posting the same old rear end arguments about DS1 vs DS2 in any of the four other threads that exist for those games?

You know how the theme of the games seem to be the endless cycle of the dark?

Yeah that applies to the arguments about the games too.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Future press always had pretty good guides. I'll probably buy one for the shelf, then when Gamestop have them for 5 bucks a year later buy a second copy.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The guide sounds cool and all but it will be outdated in a couple of weeks. It seems more like a collector's novelty than anything to me.

Only for weapon stats.

The real value is maps. You can see which items are where, and where to join a covenant. And they'll do a good job of helping explain how to get to areas. I'm sure some people had issues trying to open huntsman copse.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

redreader posted:

What is the best method of having a game on release date? in the UK I'd get it from play.com (.co.uk?) at 10am on release date but amazon always delivers stuff at 6pm, and like 2 days after realease. I suppose it's gamestop then...?

Digital preorder with preloading.

Yeah that's probably a little too expensive in the UK.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

redreader posted:

I'm in the USA now. So.... Just buy it from PSN as a preorder? I didn't know that was a thing. Will it get released at like 12am on the tuesday (it's always a tuesday, right?) or will it only get released whenever they update the store? If it's the store update, then it could be as late as 2pm, right?

PSN with a preorder is the fastest way to get bloodborne for sure.

It will have preloading so it means that your game starts downloading the Sunday before it comes out.

Then at midnight est (so even 9pm on the west coast) the game unlocks.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Alabaster White posted:

Still, I need to buy the PS4 anyway so if there's any discount or incentive, why not?
But there's bundles like on ebay where you can get a PS4 for 360 bucks and it comes with half a year of PS+ and a game (one of those pick one out of four and I think that includes destiny or far cry 4). And you can still buy Bloodborne and come out ahead than a standard Bloodborne bundle.

And there's been plenty of bundles where you get a standard price PS4 that comes with free TLOU or GTAV or both.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

This is just a new implementation of the same systems that have basically always been there. In order to summon in DeS and DaS1 you have to be human/body form, which also opens you up to invasions.

In fact this is just the same or even more kind to the player. If the bell Maiden is the only thing that allows invasions, then just being in 'body' form automatically doesn't allow invasions, like previous games did. And if you summon help, and it's only a chance (say 50%) then that's even easier on people.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Heads up, if you have a bloodborne preorder, you can see the file size in your download list on the webstore. Bloodborne clocks in at 25 gigs right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Interesting about the weapon selection. So maybe everything is trick and every time you find a weapon it's like you found two instead.

That's a low number but maybe they spent a lot of time dying and trying to make progress.

• Locked thread