Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I wonder how/if they're going to work in the classic Souls mechanic of trial and error death gameplay. They seem to be going for something more...fleshy and visceral and avoiding traditional sword and sorcery imagery. We have fog gates, so having an analogue to bonfires wouldn't surprise me. Is the plague going to keep us alive? Is time convoluted in the ancient city of Yharnam?

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The Taint Reaper posted:

We need a souls game that involves werewolves.

My body is ready.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Roflan posted:

I was thinking vampire.

They clearly define it as an RPG, so I wouldn't expect too much horror out of it. Unless they manage to be the first to succeed.

I hope we're something more interesting like a Frankenstein abomination or a homunculus as Internet Kraken suggested.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Genocyber posted:

Because we really need a thread before the game even has a specific release date.

e: Or anything at all about the game aside from the overall look it's going for.

Eh, you can preorder it already and we're going to be seeing more of the game in the next few days. I can live with it.

Almost didn't recognize you without your old avatar.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

You know what? I hope they don't have shields. I mean they might--a baddie in that video had a really ugly looking one--but I hope they just drop them entirely. I think leaving the trappings of the medieval period for something closer to the late 1700s just isn't suited to turtling behind a shield. Dark Souls 2 was perhaps the most fun without a shield, anyway.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

That's another Namco game that's aiming to be the next Dark Souls. I forget it's name, though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Jerkface posted:

Lords of the Fallen

That's the one, I'm pretty sure. Evil Within is the new Resident Evil from Bethesda.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

The idea of human players having the blood you want, but getting too much makes you go into "hard mode" is probably going to be a big draw to the pro-Souls players looking to pvp and play a harder game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Oh, I see. I was going off an earlier translation that did not make the difference between the blood types clear. That's interesting.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

One guy complains that magic was broken, but it's the fault of all goons. Why didn't we stop him before he posted?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I do remember one of these previews said that there will be some shields, but the same article did say they are de-emphasized.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Bovineicide posted:

How do you not have a monitor with HDMI ports :psyduck:

I don't have HDMI ports in my monitor either, apparently, and I bought mine within the last year or so. Well, my wife bought it from Acer, so maybe that's why?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Lock-on really only matters to me when I'm using a shield, really, because I want to be able to back away without turning my back. Other than that, yeah, it depends on what I'm fighting with what.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

You can do that fine with lock-on, though?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I'm absolutely loving the weapons on display. They have lots of gritty personality.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

At least the Painted World was haunting and gorgeous. Also ball crushing hard the first time I went there.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

So long as they don't snuff it out and make you de-equip and re-equip it every time you brush up against some water, sure. That got really tedious in Dragon's Dogma, especially in late areas of the DLC that were choked with water, and doubly so if you were using a short character.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

This may be spin, but it does sound like he's quite a bro giving someone else on the team a chance to prove themselves.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I think adding more complications to magic or at the very least making is less of the easy-mode would be great. If it's "forbidden, heretic tier," then maybe there are complications to its use, like maybe some vendors won't talk to you if you practice it (like the gunsmith is locked out if you buy stuff from the magic-man), but that may end up being too frustrating unless you really go in for multiple characters. Maybe it would also affect your level of beast-ness? Use too much magic, go into hard-mode?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Supposedly. I think there was a comment that it fucks with you in some way. Makes you see stuff that isn't there? Makes monsters more aggressive?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

You know what? I'd like to take some of the advancements from Dark Souls 2, like powerstanced great clubs, and take them back to Demon's Souls.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I like the preponderance of axes so far, transforming and not.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

So if you need a bladed weapon to use the Regain system, are hammers, maces and clubs just out or are they going to have something to offer in trade for not using that mechanic?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Oh thank god the stupid newbie avatar has changed again.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

OxMan posted:

I never realized how much medusa heads fit in dark souls. Imagine doing jumps in the catacombs while flying medusa heads that cause toxic when they hit you infinitely spawn around like those pink head exploding guys.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

All this talk comparing Dark Souls to older games, and I saw this just now:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Where are you guys getting this message? Email?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

One small detail I noticed is at one point he recovered health while just using the hammer, so bladed weapons are not strictly necessary to get health back.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I'm hoping that the transformation weapons aren't just going to end up as a gimmick. That's my only concern, really, that they just won't add that much over just picking a weapon form and mashing R1. The transformation attacks assuage that concern a little, but I want to see more.

Have we seen any hints to how many weapons you can have at one time? If you can only carry one pair of weapons at a time, that makes the transformation feature a Big DealTM.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

More likely we'll be getting Ivy's whip sword from Soul Calibur.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I went ahead and sprung for the CE preorder too. I got the CE for Demon's and Dark, and the Demon's CE is one of my favorites of all time. I used to play the soundtrack in the car. I'm hoping this will be just as memorable.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Well the streamer I was just watching just got banned in the middle of his broadcast. :ohdear:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Well I guess he figured out a way around it, because he seems to be back in the game and is fighting the boss!

edit: Wow. Getting a gun-parry off on the boss opens it up for really massive damage, but then it got pissed and it looked like it one-shot him.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Oct 1, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

How long does this alpha last? Do I still have time to get home in about 15 minutes and watch some of this stuff on streams? It looks good.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

There was a shot of a player character exploding with white light, but it looked like that might be part of a transformation.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

A lot of stuff is just standing around, but there were a few groups that were clearly patrolling. But patrolling and hunting are not really the same thing in my mind, so eh.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

That was pretty baller.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Swear to god if this game doesn't have a top hat I'm burning something down.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

:mrapig:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

turtlecrunch posted:

A quick update on the delay for people with alpha access: there will no longer be any alpha test window at all tomorrow per the official site. They haven't picked a new date for it yet.

gibbed what have you done

• Locked thread