Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Dogs confirmed for first reoccurring character.

Lotish posted:

I wonder how/if they're going to work in the classic Souls mechanic of trial and error death gameplay. They seem to be going for something more...fleshy and visceral and avoiding traditional sword and sorcery imagery. We have fog gates, so having an analogue to bonfires wouldn't surprise me.

:speculate:

The imagery in the video combined with the title makes me think this is going to have a lot to do with artificially created humans, among other things. The main character could be some sort of homonculus that is incapable of truly dieing and is basically just an undead from the Dark Souls games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
When they say discovery they better mean "discovering" fun ways to brutally murder other players.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Hm, sounds like the online has a big focus on hunting other players. Maybe this means the PvP will actually be balan- hahahaha no.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I hope it means magic just isn't usable by the player because one common problem with all 3 Souls games is that magic is horribly broken. They seem to be exploring better ranged options now with more severe drawbacks and limitations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

I guess it is more difficult constantly moving the camera with the other stick but my brother who was a vet at the games (Dark Souls 2 was my first) told me to never lock on (2hand no shield guy) and it seemed way more natural.

Yeah he's wrong. Lock on is really beneficial. It depends on what weapon you are using and what enemy you are fighting, but most of the time it doesn't hinder you. Its not meant to be a crutch for the player to rely on, just another tool at your disposal. I'm pretty sure the message system in DS 2 has phrases specifically saying to turn lock on/off.

A switch to faster paced combat could mean its less useful though, as the restrictions it places on your movement could be more troublesome.

VVV :rolleyes: No, he is wrong. If you play without lock on all the time you're handicapping yourself for no reason. I'm not sure why you think me having trouble with some random boss makes that not true.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 12, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

I really just meant the way I played - sans shield, maces and slashing swords. I can see why you'd need to lock on for thrusting weapons and definitely for magic and arrows.

I beat the game doing that too, lock on still helps.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its always been possible to play without a shield. Shields were EXTREMELY strong in Dark Souls though. Very few enemies had attacks that ignored shields, including the bosses. With a greatshield, you could negate nearly any attack and still have enough stamina to not be guard broken. Holding a great shield was not only a simple way to play the game but also the easiest.

In Dark Souls 2, this changed somewhat. Shields are still useful, but more enemies have attacks that ignore them or tank your stamina. There are less 100% physical block shields as well to discourage a new player from relying on them right from the start. The changes made to the dodging system make playing without a shield easier as well. A greatshield is still very useful, but nowhere near as game breaking as it was in Dark Souls.

So I'd guess when they say they are placing less emphasis on shields, they're going to be even more situational and less common. They probably won't be the first thing a new player tries to use. Hopefully this means shields will have some strategic use beyond just blocking.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
First NPC is the Crestfallen Hobo. If you talk to him too much he turns into a werewolf and bites your face off.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Skeletons confirmed to still be the best.

net cafe scandal posted:

It's great to see creative Fromsoft monsters again after some of the poo poo that was in Dark Souls II.

I thought Dark Souls 2 had plenty of great enemy designs. The Black Gulch leeches were way more memorable than their DS counterpart, for example. I also loved the weird design the giants had.

This game looks to have a lot more hosed up monsters than both Dark Souls though, given that the "curse" in this game doesn't just turn you into a mindless zombie and instead you become a hosed up monster.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tykero posted:

I feel like Dark Souls 2 really lacked cool monster enemies. Far too many enemies were just different flavors of humanoid, which was pretty disappointing coming from DS and DaS1. It's really nice to see more of the freaky monsters coming back. Enemies are both visually and mechanically more interesting when they're more diverse anatomically.

I'm really not trying to start some stupid debate but I just don't get this. Dark Souls had tons of humanoid monsters. Plenty of areas like Anor Londo and the Crypt had nothing BUT humanoids.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Painted World was an area I found to be super disappointing in that regard. I mean it had the potential to be really weird an abstract but the only good enemies were the harpies and phalanx. Everything else was just lifted from other places, aside from the hollows with tumors glued onto their backs.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Lotish posted:

At least the Painted World was haunting and gorgeous. Also ball crushing hard the first time I went there.

Never really got this. I mean it doesn't look bad but its just so...boring. When I heard there was a level called the Painted World I thought it would be something really abstract and weird, having a very distinct style from the rest of the game. But it looked just like anywhere else only covered in snow. I dunno, I was just expecting it look more like a painting. Rather than using regular textures they instead made them look like they were painted with water colour or something.

I was just expecting something more exotic and interesting.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Demon's Souls always looked weird to me just because all the animations seem so stiff. Everyone moves like they have a stick shoved up their rear end.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think when you're near dead you actually move slower. At the very least the walking animation is different. Dark Souls 2 has a lot of different animations for various situations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
That only works up to a point. I'm not sure why demon imp things are hanging out in a place like Anor Londo when the giant guardians and silver knights are still there.

Then there's stuff like that thing in Blighttown that looks like a sea cucumber. All it does is hang on the wall and die from one hit to the back. Even when I walked up to it, it didn't seem to do anything. It was just there, randomly thrown in for seemingly no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

It certainly does something when you walk up to its front.

Well, I walked really close to it but it didn't do anything. I guess you have to be right on top of it but given you can't hurt it from the front I'm not sure why you'd ever get that close. Either way, the fact that its so unresponsive just makes it seem horribly out of place. Blighttown has some other mutated poo poo but nothing that looks like that. It doesn't do anything interesting to justify its presence either.

• Locked thread