Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Worldwide Panther
Jul 20, 2010

Go see the stars!

turtlecrunch posted:

A (very small) extra piece of art from Famitsu

There will be a 60-minute presser on the game at E3 today according to some guy on Neogaf.

So this really IS the next-gen Castlevania we've all been waiting for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worldwide Panther
Jul 20, 2010

Go see the stars!

Brumaldo posted:

Million dollar question: will they manage to mantain that level of graphical fidelity and a stable 30 fps without gutting something like, oh I don't know, the lightning engine?
'cause I'm feeling kinda apprehensive here. And salty, too.

I mean, it is on a next gen console this time around, so probably?

Worldwide Panther
Jul 20, 2010

Go see the stars!

Judas Iscaredycat posted:

Hey are any of you guys familiar with the concept of an "homage" (pronounced OH-maj)? Basically it's an image, sound, line of dialogue etc. taken from an existing work and inserted into another work. This is sometimes done as a sign of respect, an "easter egg" for knowledgeable viewers/readers/listeners, or even as part of a long-running gag or inside joke. These are little things that aren't meant to imply anything about the story at large or the world it takes place in.

For instance, the film Predator 2 contains a scene near the end that takes place in the titular monster's spacecraft, where several alien skulls are displayed as trophies. One of the skulls shares the distinctive shape of the heads of the "xenomorphs" from the Alien franchise. This was meant as a simple visual reference (the skull plays no part in the scene's narrative) and isn't meant to imply that the two film universes are linked in any way. In fact the aforementioned skull is actually, like the other skulls in the collection, white, which suggests it comes from a humanlike endoskeleton rather than the exoskeleton the creatures have in the Alien films. A misunderstanding of this key fact unfortunately led both franchises into decades of "crossover" media that greatly diminished the impact of the antagonists from both series by pitting them against each other rather than a protagonist. Neither series has fully recovered.

One can even include homages to one's own past work, although some creators avoid this in fear that it will be seen as masturbatory.

thanks professor

Worldwide Panther
Jul 20, 2010

Go see the stars!

Do you understand how production works? Like, for anything?

Worldwide Panther
Jul 20, 2010

Go see the stars!

Electromax posted:

Random generation doesn't automatically make me excited for its own sake, particularly when many of the strengths that drew me to the series were the carefully considered enemy placements and unique level terrain. Although if it's a random configuration of existing chunks (with corresponding enemies) maybe you get the best of both worlds. The wording is pretty vague about what that means, but if it's a bunch of randomly laid identical hallways/rooms like Nethack then I'm wary.

A dungeon like Lufia 2 where you always start from level 0 or some other normalizing gimmick could be neat if done well also.

Wonder if From has done any thinking about a Demon's/Dark/Dark2 triple-HD release for PS4.

I mean, it sounds like it's going to be a completely separate "challenge" area. So there's probably a lot of game other than the random area, no matter how it turns out.

• Locked thread