Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Because we really need a thread before the game even has a specific release date.

e: Or anything at all about the game aside from the overall look it's going for.

XboxPants posted:

I definitely agree. They have so much experience making 3D action-rpgs, these guys definitely have the talent to make a lot of different kinds of games. It'd be really sad to seem them pidgeonholed into just making one thing over and over. Part of what made Demon and Dark Souls great was that they did things that were so wild and new and crazy. I feel like a game that's very different is a more faithful successor in many ways.

We need more King's field.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mischitary posted:

They're going to show more later in the week.

I did not know that.

Still silly since the quality of the thread will be pretty terrible if the dks2 thread prior to release is any indication

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Token Cracker posted:

Thread hasn't even been up for an hour and you're making GBS threads in it.

It's my job

The Taint Reaper posted:

Hey I'd like a dark souls game that has monster hunter style bosses lurking around instead of every section of the world trying to kill you so you could explore without worry.

Maybe this will be that game.

From what (very little) we know it looks like it might favor cramped spaces more, a la King's Field or Shadow Tower. Which is exciting.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lotish posted:

You know what? I hope they don't have shields. I mean they might--a baddie in that video had a really ugly looking one--but I hope they just drop them entirely. I think leaving the trappings of the medieval period for something closer to the late 1700s just isn't suited to turtling behind a shield. Dark Souls 2 was perhaps the most fun without a shield, anyway.

A more complicated dodging system would be nice.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

HaitianDivorce posted:

Out of curiosity, how would you make it more complicated?

I dunno, add more than just a roll, like a sidestep to get around to their back if you time it right, maybe make it so enemies would stumble a bit or fall down if you had frame perfect dodge timing or something.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

According to a goon in IRC, according to someone on Reddit this is gonna be based around actual co-op apparently. It'd be neat if that's true, I want something non-Souls from From, tho I'd hope the game would still be good as a singleplayer experience.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

That whole blood system reminds me of Shadow Tower Abyss's durability system, where you can sacrifice HP to repair items, or break down items to restore HP, as well as selling them to buy potions and poo poo. Love that kind of stuff.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

coaxmetal posted:

I was afraid I would have to buy a PS4 for this, and I will. Hopefully they will have a bundle with it closer to release though or something.

Wonder if it will be exclusively player blood to reduce whatever blood meter that is, or if there will be other ways as well. Seems likely.

From the description it seems like the only way to reduce your taintedness is with human blood, which is exclusive to players as well as NPCs. Which is interesting since it also sells you get more tainted by using tainted blood for poo poo like leveling, so you'd be force to kill NPCs if you want to make the game easier and cant/don't want to do online stuff.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

I wonder why the one guy who leaked some gameplay footage to NeoGAF didn't leak more. That nerd probably has more of the stuff, and he's holding it back.

Also, disappointed to hear they went with 30 FPS and 1080p. I'd rather have 60 and 720p instead because that gives room for the framerate to dip a little without making the game look like garbage. From has history with framerate drops and it irks me that they decided to go for 1080p for no reason.

Not necessarily. For w/e reason it depends on the game I've found; i.e. Skyrim looks like garbage at anything less than 60 fps, but Borderlands 2 looks fine to me at 40-ish.

Not to mention Demon's Souls had a rock solid framerate pretty much everywhere.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dat footage. Looks so loving good.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

So it was a 6-minute talk between two dudes unrelated to the game talking about stuff we already knew and ending it off with the cinematic trailer again.

There was ~20 seconds of footage shown as well, from the private preview there. Looked amazing.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

Thanks for showing me footage filmed by a potato, Playstation guys. Really great. I didn't want to see the game, just you and your stupid gauge earrings.

Did you really expect anything different? There's not going to be any real footage released until they get things together a bit more (i.e. make the framerate a bit better).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

Also the player is an r1 spazz

IIRC the player is Miyazaki, which makes it even funnier.

SunAndSpring posted:

After 3 Souls games, it astonishes me to see people that don't lock on to fight enemies.

Given it's a rough and early build it's possible that might not even be implemented yet.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

It's better to not lock on 99 percent of the time. Unless you're magicking or shooting arrows or whatnot. I'm actually surprised when I watch streams of DS2 and see people lock on for everything.

Depends on the weapon you're using; narrow thrusting weapons really need lock-on to be accurate with. Locking on is also good if you're just facing one enemy, and can still be useful for a group of enemies if they're coming from one direction, especially since in Dks2 you can free aim certain weapons even while locked on.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

3 dark souls paid DLCs in 3 months? is there a german word for when something is both lovely and cool?

Since the thing you're purchasing is just an access code - the content will actually be added in a compatability patch - I wouldn't be surprised if you can't easily unlock it yourself, just going by the pre-order DLC (it's just a text file).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rip u (and me; ps3).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Anyone who says either locking on or free aiming better is dumb. Each has situations where they're useful, and it's best to switch between them as needed.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

Because most of the time it's best to bait an attack and then roll behind/past to attack them? I can't recall a single fight where locking on would've given me the same amount of free movement to fight an enemy.

Most of the time it's best to run up and spam r1. Most enemies can't poise through even a single r1 of most weapons so you can just stunlock and kill them. Even fewer enemies if you have Stone Ring equipped.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Under the vegetable posted:

I don't understand the "less emphasis on shields" thing. I haven't used a shield once in DS2 so far and I'm past lost sinner/into earthen peak. My most successful runs in DS1 were -25% equip load, weapon in one hand, sorcery in the other, too.

I guess this means Bloodborne is going to be Extremely My poo poo.

Because shields are still really good; as the game hands you a good one early on (Drangleic Shield) and doesn't really give you a reason not to use shields most of the time, most people turtle behind a shield for most of the game. With this game it looks like that would be disadvantageous in most cases, and will allow you to be swarmed.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

holy shiiiiiiiit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJlg_H7OCaE

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

The game's in pre-alpha and figuring out what visuals to cut and streamline is an important part of the development process.

This is probably why it's been leaked and not officially released.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

D'awww

e: and it's down already, lol.

Glad I downloaded it.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jun 13, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

e: reply is not edit etc.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

http://rutube.ru/video/f382f1fdc52ce7693b7ddb1c173c351e/

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Babyface Mingo posted:

Does this still have an active online community? I'm thinking about picking this up from the local Gamestop but if not a lot of people are playing it anymore I might as well pass on it.

Unless you're from the future you're in the wrong thread.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

S-Alpha posted:

No, he's just FYAD and taking the piss. :ssh:

Then it's a really retarded attempt at taking the piss.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

Another trailer was leaked.

I looks like the full version of the original leaked trailer, but with sound.

This is the exact same trailer leaked yesterday. Not sure what you mean by "original leaked trailer," this is the only one. Prior to this it was just leaked webm files that people strung together and put music over.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I hope shields aren't left completely by the wayside; they're a very important part of the true Fashion Souls experience.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

superh posted:

Because the new trailer is sick cg and the old one is year old footage that doesn't look as good as the 50 seconds we got to see at e3.

While this is true, even with the framerate problems and slightly lower graphical quality it's made me waaaaay more excited for the game than any of the stuff officially shown. It's a really drat good trailer.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Given the victorian-style setting they could just have a belt-lantern that doesn't take up any of your weapon slots but you still need to get oil for.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lotish posted:

So long as they don't snuff it out and make you de-equip and re-equip it every time you brush up against some water, sure. That got really tedious in Dragon's Dogma, especially in late areas of the DLC that were choked with water, and doubly so if you were using a short character.

The DLC areas weren't bad since you could get a ring there that prevented you from getting wet.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Brumaldo posted:

Oh shut up. The game was designed with a more complex lightning system in mind, and it shows. What's the point of having several braziers scattered throughout the cardinal tower, if you can clearly see with no need for a light source?

The area is still fairly dark. You can still see without lightning the braziers, but it is much easier to see with them. They're only not useful if you jack up the brightness, and that will make any lightning engine null and void unless they do the thing where darkness is literal blackness.

If you have the brightness set at a good level the darkness is still considerable enough to be a disadvantage, albeit not a complete shutdown of you doing anything.

quote:

What's the point of lightning up the Lost Sinner's arena? Everything's perfectly visible, even though it's supposed to be pitch black! I think the only token difference in that fight is that your lock-on has a reduced range in the dark, and that's it. I finished the game with something like 2 and a half hours of torches, of which I used up maybe 20 minutes in the gutter.

Not with your gamma properly set. With proper brightness it's quite dark without lightning it up, enough to make it very difficult to see exactly how she's going to attack.

quote:

They could at least had the coutesy to go ahead and say "look, if we keep the game like this it's gonna run like Blight Town, all the time!" some time BEFORE releasing the game.

So the fact that the beta, and all of the preview footage shown aside form the early TGS stuff had the newer lightning engine didn't clue you in at all? Of course they're not going to come right out and say it, that would cause a lot of idiots not to buy it (see all the people crying betrayal over it not being in the PC release).

quote:

I'm also exceptionally bitter, since I decided to buy the game on PC, the only version that didn't need any "adjustments". Except that they still decided to gut the game to make all versions kind of the same. Not to mention the silly shenanigans concerning enemy animations on 60 fps.

There are no shenanigans. The only different is a higher durability loss when you swing through corpses, which only affects a few weapon types and can be mostly nullified by just using the Bracing Knuckle Ring. It's a silly issue but nowhere near a big one.

They didn't include the old lightning engine because, most likely, they never did anything past what they had for the TGS demo. Once they realized it wasn't going to work at all for consoles they stopped working on it. Why would they develop an entirely different engine for a single platform that's not even their main platform?

quote:

So now I'm just kinda left wondering. The leaked gameplay demo ran like molasses, and sure it's an alpha, possibly more than a year away. But I'm still wondering how they're gonna optimize for the PS4 hardware, considering their utter incompetence in technical matters.

I will never understand why people say this. From are pretty competent in the technical aspect. Demon's Souls ran perfectly smoothy, Dark Souls was bad but Dark Souls II is also perfectly smooth aside from Things Betwixt/Majula.

The PC port of Dark Souls was less than stellar (not bad tho; it's exactly what you got in the console version, nothing less) but what do you expect? It's their first PC port, and the port of Dark Souls II is amazing, being extremely well optimized. PC gamers seem to wine a lot about this poo poo.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Let's talk about the Sunlight Spear engine.

A spear so fabulous you need an entire graphics engine to render it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Perhaps you can only use magic when you're in full beast mode.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NESguerilla posted:

Isn't beast mode supposed to be a bad thing though?

Soul form gave you 50% max HP and a 20% damage bonus if you had PWCT. Dark Pyro Flame gets you more pyro damage when you're hollowed (even if it's not that much in practice). There's a precedent for a bad thing to have some sort of bonus.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

laplace posted:

The souls games do something interesting with narrative in that their last bosses are thematically relevant and climactic as opposed to physically climactic. Seeing Allant, Gwyn, and even Nashandra at the ends of their respective arcs was really interesting and much more valuable/in line with the tone than fighting a setpiece fight. Those battles are cool because they mean something to the player and the game, less than just being another "ohh nooo big baaad". I hope the same thing happens in Bloodborne just to hit it home that Miyazaki understands how narrative and mechanics/design work together. I don't need a bass-blaring level 99 plague demon encounter as my final boss to feel satisfied by the game's conclusion.

The only major setback in DS2 over DS1 is the poo poo/bloodeye filter whenever you encounter a boss. What the gently caress is that even.

Do remember that that's likely not intentional. True Allant, sure, although it's pretty clear False Allant is the de facto final boss. But Gwyn was very much meant to be a challenging boss and they did not realize they had designed him pretty poorly.

Nashandra is likely meant to be challenging too, given that she does a lot of damage when she hits; it more that she almost never does hit. There's also no real narrative reason for her to be weak, it's just bad boss design.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

HaitianDivorce posted:

Ehhh I don't get the hate for Gwyn. He gave me way more trouble than Ornstein and Smough, and one of my favorite moments out of my playthrough of DS1 is when I walked through the fog gate, saw him do his crazy jump attack and somehow parried the dude.

I didn't beat him until I cheesed him with those pillars in the middle of the Kiln though, so maybe you have a point. :v:

The issue is more that Gwyn is probably the easiest boss to exploit, such that many people don't have any trouble with him. Aside from parrying, there's also the Great Combustion cheese method, and he's also one of the easier bosses to tank; get 20 Estus and a bit of poise and you can just spam and chug.

It's a combination of him having so many glaring weaknesses and being the final boss as well. It's kind of expected the final boss would be the most well-designed and wouldn't have that many design errors.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mason Dixon posted:

I'm curious how many different environments Bloodborne will have. So far, everything shown is of the city at night.

Miyazaki mentioned that while Yarnam is the main location that there are other cities, so there probably will be good variety.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Agnostalgia posted:

I'm not sure how armor has become obsolete against crazed townspeople trying to hit you with pitchforks, but okay.

You don't have heavy metal armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

I think it's a good idea to move away from the heavy armor of Dark Souls 1 and 2, as it basically is just a competition between whoever can minmax to get the heaviest and strongest armor they can wear and their weapon of choice to <50% equipment load.

This has never been true for PVE, defense does jack all (the exception being if you can get 900+ elemental defense in Dks2, that basically makes you immune to the element). As for PVP, it's not true in Dks since you can't get more than 400 or so without hacking (even less so in Demon's where you can't get much more than 200). It is true for Dks2 tho (and something they'll hopefully patch).

• Locked thread