Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
You know when the first gameplay clips leaked I thought it was gonna be a Solomon Kane game.

Not quite, but close enough that I hope you can find a reasonable facsimile of his outfit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
So we get to play as dapper shotgun wielding plague doctor werewolf-vampire things? :drac:

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
O-open world Victorian horror setting with a more agile Souls-esque combat with a fully customizable character who is also some kind of vampire thing? With the whole vampire thing actually being a major gameplay element and not just a different flavor of super powers?

Why has no-one ever done this before? It's the perfect game!

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Here's a thing, A German Spy gives some rough translations of interview material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9qfZ0AJXkg

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

LegoPirateNinja posted:

No one ever went to New Londo or The Catacombs looking for a bell. Never. It was always very clear where to go.

No people totally did. The Catacombs is like the first place half of all new players go to (and it never stops being funny)

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Equilibrium posted:

There's no "exploration" in Arkham Asylum, though, outside of collectibles. You always know where to go, even if there's some nominal backtracking involved - it's about as metroidvania as 3D Zelda. At least in Dark Souls you actually get lost.

I'm not sure how you get lost in the straight lines connected by straight lines. Or in Castlevania, since the e means of progression is always "go to the part of the map where it ends and try your new power there".

The heart of metroidvania isn't 'getting lost' it's 'getting new abilities to get to areas you already saw earlier but couldn't get too because you didn't have the double-jump/glide/transformation/whatever'.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Aug 21, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Zelda and Metroidvanias aren't steampunk at all so I don't see how they're like Bloodborne?

You're going to have to show me where the steam engine is on any of the equipment shown, because I can't find them.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Imma call it hacking up plague monsters with a rusty hacksaw-axe if that's cool with everyone.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I'm pretty sure they already said they were cutting down the number of weapons for the sake of making each weapon more unique. So they're may very well only be one of each type of weapon.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Genocyber posted:

Can anyone tell what the third guy is wielding?

A giant hammer with epitaph's written on it.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
So, checking out some of the .gifs made of the demo and I noticed something. Is weapon transformation actually part of the combos? Like, you can transform mid combo and start a new one? Because I noticed with the hammer dude mashes that sumbitch into the ground, swiftly slots the sword into the handle, and then stars using a horizontal moveset without missing a beat.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Mighty Dicktron posted:

You can transform in the middle of a combo, which means you attack with a special transform attack, which you can then combo into with your second weapon form, yeah. It looks rad as hell.

That is so goddamn rad.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Ah, ZombiU rules, always nice for changing things up.

...poo poo, I know it's a joke, but that would actually be hard. Imagine going after your souls only to find out that you have to fight your own Red Phantom if you want your poo poo back.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

Though fighting your own phantom wouldn't make any sense.

I wasn't suggesting that it actually happen, just thinking about how Zombi U death mechanics would apply to Souls. In case you never played it, if you die outside of Survivor mode, you play as a new character, and you have to find and kill your old character--now a zombie--if you want to get all your stuff back.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Surlaw posted:

It would be really boring because Souls is too big of a game and having to repeat 20 hours of play multiple times because you haven't learned the boss patterns yet would appeal to nearly no one. The fact that the Souls games are carefully balanced around where you can respawn from is what makes their risk/reward system work so well.

Again, not saying it should do that, just thinking out loud.

Also, you wouldn't have to replay 20 hours, just make it back to where you were with all the shortcuts still open and all the bosses still dead. You're not resetting the world state in Zombi U, you're a different person that you're handler has found in the same world after your last character died. You still have access to your main cache of poo poo, so if you're careful you haven't lost anything big, but if you did you have to find your old character and kill his zombified self. This isn't an Iron Man run that just happens to have new special zombie pinata. I mostly made the comparison because the way ZU handles dying is rather Souls itself, just with an extra fight before you get your souls/stuff back.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Alabaster White posted:

The problem with warping from the start (in any capacity, even restricted warping) is that it totally ruins the desperate, dire feeling of being stuck in an atrocious hellhole with no way out that the first half of Dark Souls was famous for.

That feeling existed only in Blight Town and absolutely nowhere else, unless you decided to plumb the Tomb of Giants for some ridiculous reason.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Gonna tide players over by patching Bloodborne outfits into DS2. They have no stats and are entirely cosmetic.

No lie, I would never wear anything else.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
See, now THAT is a special edition worth owning.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Lotish posted:

Now put your story on a little tag and tie it to a ring you leave in the woods next to your corpse.

I want Bloodborne to have a useless ring. Not useless in the meta 'there are better rings' sense. Useless in the 'it does jack poo poo' sense. I want it to have a long and detailed description of the life story of someone who has nothing to do with the game.

Come on, Pendant 2.0, let's go.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Mighty Dicktron posted:

drat, the threaded cane looks amazing at crowd control and changing combo mid-swing. All of the weapons look so good, jeez.

Yeah, it might be the first Souls game where I don't end up finding a favorite weapon and gravitating to it all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
For all the people who keep saying that they're just getting a PS4 for Bloodborne:

If you own a PS4 and don't have a copy of inFAMOUS Second Son, you might just qualify as a horrible person.

• Locked thread