Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

NESguerilla posted:

Why do you say that there is a fight for your life theme when the dude in the trailer seems full on badass and he's loving everyone up?

According to some quotes on NeoGAf from a blog that transcribed some snippets of a preview (yeaaaaah...) that's one of the "themes" of the game's combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

NESguerilla posted:

Is this going to be something we can stream or are we just going to get some press blurbs about it? I wanna see gameplay!

Quote from the CGI trailer's description on YouTube (official Sony YouTube channel, of course):

quote:

We know that PlayStation fans have a ton of questions — I sure do! We hope to have some answers for you later this week as more of the game is shown, so stay tuned to PlayStation Blog.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I don't think those are screenshots, looks like artwork to me.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

I wonder why the one guy who leaked some gameplay footage to NeoGAF didn't leak more. That nerd probably has more of the stuff, and he's holding it back.

We don't know, but keep in mind that it was clearly outdated footage from an old trailer that was planned for a reveal that ultimately never happened. Also, the original leak was from 4chan, so chances are the guy simply liked making nerds feel mad with anticipation knowing they wouldn't see footage for a long time.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
This is sounding significantly different from Dark Souls while also retaining a lot of the same values. I'm tentatively excited!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Vaati just repeat those "insiders" quotes without mentioning that it's something he got firsthand, so he probably just read those rumors too.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
That looked exciting. I get they don't want to show the game with framerate issues, but man, that trailer was so much more exciting than anything they actually officially showed so far.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Tykero posted:

I feel like Dark Souls 2 really lacked cool monster enemies. Far too many enemies were just different flavors of humanoid, which was pretty disappointing coming from DS and DaS1.

Even Demon's Souls was full of humanoid monsters, though. Hell, one could argue that the iconic/basic monsters of every world were humanoid: Boletarian Palace had the dreglings, Stonefang Tunnels had the miners and the fat officials, Tower of Latria had mind flayers, the prisoners and the humanoid gargoyles, Shrine of Storms had palette-swapped skeletons and Valley of Defilement had various flavors of deformed human beings.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

laplace posted:

It had the best art design of the series

I really disagree there, while I love how imaginative it is, overall it's just a bit too zany and inconsistent. Meanwhile Dark Souls has an extremely well-depicted and varied world that feels historied and consistent. It's just a pity the actual in-engine realization was so washed out and crummy (I guess that's fixed on PC with Durante's mod, but even then it's still sort of slightly dull looking in some environments).

I like Dark Souls 2's art a lot too, though it feels a bit different to me. While Demon's Souls felt like a mash-up of Berserk, 70s heavy metal covers and classic fantasy through the way of manga and anime, and Dark Souls 1 just had a fully realized internally consistent style, Dark Souls 2 seems to be aiming at fighting fantasy/70s D&D and its knock-offs, but filtered through a decadent sensibility. I enjoy it just a little bit less than Dark Souls (and about as much as Demon's Souls) and, despite the criticism that was leveled at it for not being imaginative enough, thought and still think it was a very good choice that helped the game establish its own visual identity.

Anyway that's a lot of :words: to say I disagree with you but still think all the Souls game were really good in terms of art direction, and to stay on topic I'll also say that I think Bloodborne is looking really good from a visual standpoint: imaginative, distinct and also colorful in just the right places.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Obviously it's a subjective aesthetic evaluation, but for example, Boletarian Palace to me felt less convincing than its rough Dark Souls equivalent, which would be the Undead Burg and the zones close to it (lower Undead Burg, Undead Parish, etc.). Granted, it's still a really cool location, but I find it really hard to imagine how the characters might have fit in before the arrival of the colorless deep fog. Similarly, I don't really think the metal skeletons in Shrine of Storms did a great job communicating the theme of reverence for the dead that permeates the area, or that Armored Spider felt right at home in Stonefang Tunnel.

That said, your mileage may vary a great deal on that, and I don't want to be too harsh on Demon's Souls, given it's full of incredibly detailed, imaginative (and sometimes unsettling) designs, both in terms of environments and character art. Valley of Defilement and Tower of Latria are probably the best example of environmental storytelling in the series. Especially Latria is just amazing: varied enemy designs and environments but all while keeping a sense of internal consistency and progression.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Stux posted:

I think with DS1 at least these kind of clashes are intentional to a point. You are walking around in a shell of a world, everything that should be in each location has been long dead or left and has been overrun by all sorts of monsters. You still have some location fitting enemies like the knights etc in anor londo, but then stuff like the taurus demon turning up in burg and then later on as well makes it feel like "this is one of the demons that has managed to come and live in this hosed up place".

Yeah, I don't think there's any problem with the demons (though the reusage of Asylum Demon was certainly bad and is one of the earliest signs of Dark Souls' somewhat rushed/unpolished development), especially considering you can easily tell their source and the routes they might have went through (or, in at least a couple cases, have been forced to go through) to reach their locations. As for the Anor Londo demon, there might not be a lot of lore surrounding them, but I thought they fit rather well thematically. They're a really obvious sign that Anor Londo isn't quite what it seems at first, and that the Gods that used to inhabit it probably weren't that godly to begin with.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
On the other hand, I don't think pigeonholing people into a certain style of melee combat is a good idea for an RPG, so it'll be interesting to see how From Software balances the lack of shields with the desire to offer a broad range of options that translate into different playstyles and not just tweaked stats.

Speaking of which, is there any info on what they're doing with magic this time around, assuming they're even doing anything at all?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The leaked trailer showed fireballs and magic-y effects, yeah, but they were only used by enemies. The main character only used melee weapons, a blunderbuss/shotgun weapon, and a torch.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I don't know, going from "targeting 30 fps but struggling to meet it" to "oh, maybe we'll include an optional 60 fps option" sounds like a stretch to me.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Sure, but rendering double the frames when you were targeting 30 fps and had trouble optimizing for it is still a stretch. How many games can you recall that went from 30 fps to 60 fps that late in development (they're targeting a release early next year) off the top of your head?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
"they might be able to do 60 fps"

That was said after they'd already mentioned the variable framerate thing, which sounds believable because framerate options are all the rage at Sony right now.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

NESguerilla posted:

People talking about fps in video games is seriously the most endless and insufferable thing ever.

I'm fine with 30 fps but that bit sounded weird enough that it made me doubt the whole story's credibility. Sorry if the mere mention of framerate gives you a stroke. :shrug:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Gameplay trailer.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

turtlecrunch posted:

Molotov cocktail confirmed :allears: (e: go to 01:44 here for the post-presser BB stuff)

That's... some gameplay I guess.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

OMGWTFTREEHACK posted:

Can anyone type a transcript for the voiceover in the trailer for us hard of hearing folks please?

Sure:

Male voice: "Dear friend, take heed: the blood is foul. And when night falls, the hunters return."

Maiden in Black VA: "And so the nightly hunt begins."

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

THE PENETRATOR posted:

it's out spring 2015 at the latest

They said it's going to release within six months at Sony's Gamescom conference. Could be delayed, of course, but it doesn't sound too unrealistic to me.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

AllisonByProxy posted:

That part around the middle with a second person fighting the enemies. Sneak peek at co-op or NPC helper?

NPC helper. They already mentioned that in some early previews. Though it's perfectly possible co-op might be done in a similar way, they did mention they wanted it to be more seamless after all!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Mighty Dicktron posted:

On the other hand, there's nothing steampunk about it, so I don't know how much your thoughts are trustworthy so

The internet thinks anything Victorian is steampunk.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The game is coming out in Japan on February 5.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Fulchrum posted:

Any special editions been announced?

There's one with an artbook and CD soundtrack for Japan. My guess would be that they'll release it in Europe and the US too since they always had editions like that for the other games, but we'll have to wait and see.

P.S. : Bloodborne has the worst Japanese cover of all the Souls series. :smith:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Equilibrium posted:

Just one more reason why the Hong Kong import of Demon's Souls remains the definitive Souls experience.

Hands of God's description posted:

It is the weapon which holds the name of God.

There was once a strong man, who slaughtered a dragon with his bare hands. Those fists became a God in China. The legendary Big M.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

Truly, poo poo covers are the real reason we are shifting towards a digital only future.

But key art still exists even in a digital only future, so... :v:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
FUN FACT: Sony wanted Demon's Souls to be first-person after seeing the success of Oblivion, but Miyazaki convinced them third-person would be better for the gameplay experience he'd envisioned.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Mimir posted:

Have the Bloodborne equivalents to DS Bonfires been shown? What's the respawn mechanic?

:iiam:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
That guy's uncle works at From Software, uh?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
It isn't. People have been fiddling with the main menu on NeoGAF, and apparently it automatically disable sharing, so you need to actually capture the footage with a capture card.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Alpha test has started in Japan and guess what? There's already a stream going on.

EDIT: No "YOU DIED" screen. That offends me greatly.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Considering how hush hush they were about the online components, I expected something a little more removed from the Souls series. Oh well, don't fix what isn't broken and all that jazz, I suppose.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Leyburn posted:

So is there going to be no penalty for death in the final game too (beyond simply losing progress)? It's a strange feeling playing one of these games when there is nothing at stake.

There's no way to level up/gain experience in the alpha and I imagine that might be an important part of the game's death penalties.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
One thing that bothers me a bit of what I saw of the Cleric Beast so far is that it seems you're punished with very low damage if you don't attempt to riposte it. Cheesing him looks unfun, but I also hope there will be a chance to do decent damage to it in the main game, because chipping away at a boss' health bar is also no fun.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait.

Did some dialogue in that spoiler .webm just include Umbasa? :catstare:

EDIT: I know it's probably either a placeholder or just a little easter egg/nod, but still!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
We already know that there are areas outside of Yharnam, so I'm sure there are going to be some weird, cool-looking places. Probably not quite like Ash Lake, because they're aiming for a different vibe with this game, but it's not going to be just quasi-London all the time.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
They changed the music but the footage is the same.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

MZ posted:

Am I the only one who thinks this is way OTT and would just prefer the old lines like before? poo poo's gonna get crazy when people are laying down dozens of these things per area...

No you aren't the only one. Visually they're super cool, but they seem like performance hogs with a less distinctive visual language to boot. I won't be able to recognize blood stains and messages at a first glance, and that's a shame imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Based on the alpha, you actually summon people by ringing a "summoning someone" bell and hoping someone is ringing the "please summon me" bell. I don't think that will work out well either, to be honest. :v:

• Locked thread